D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

I wanted DLO back as well, but GT shared some thoughts on last night’s Podcast.

DLO probably wouldn’t fit in with the grizzled vets on this team and eventually the fans would turn on him. And the second reason which I thought since he signed with Golden State... DLO was never an option. He was never a free agent. We were never going to pay him 27m per year and Golden State needed to do that so they could get something for Kevin Durant.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

^
Fans turning on a player should have no impact on whether the Lakers sign a player or not. If that were a reason my goodness ... no way that has anything to do with it. DLO at the contract he got needs high usage high volume shots and a role that warrants that. In LA he would not get that. Then factor his defense at this moment stinks, and maybe in LA's culture he would play average D. He is not a game shifter for us on offense because not enough usage/high volume for 27M a year NOR a guy that can be a game shifter on D.

Now say we did not have LBJ. Say we had AD and no LBJ. Now it is a different equation completely. Suddenly DLO has immense value, and is worth that contract in my book, if I'm the Lakers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Fans turning on a player should have no impact on whether the Lakers sign a player or not. If that were a reason my goodness ... no way that has anything to do with it. DLO at the contract he got needs high usage high volume shots and a role that warrants that. In LA he would not get that. Then factor his defense at this moment stinks, and maybe in LA's culture he would play average D. He is not a game shifter for us on offense because not enough usage/high volume for 27M a year NOR a guy that can be a game shifter on D.

Now say we did not have LBJ. Say we had AD and no LBJ. Now it is a different equation completely. Suddenly DLO has immense value, and is worth that contract in my book, if I'm the Lakers.

100% agreed
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

Did we have the capspace to sign DLo + Danny Green + Avery Bradley?

If it's an either or situation I thiink Green + Bradley is a better fit for the team in spite of the numbers Dlo is putting up this season, on a bad team where he . has free reign.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

Did we have the capspace to sign DLo + Danny Green + Avery Bradley?

If it's an either or situation I thiink Green + Bradley is a better fit for the team in spite of the numbers Dlo is putting up this season, on a bad team where he . has free reign.

Couldn’t we have had Russell for slightly more than what we are paying Green and KCP? Green has been pretty bad on offense IMO. KCP is just bad, period.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Out 2-3 weeks with a sprain thumb
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I wanted DLO back as well, but GT shared some thoughts on last night’s Podcast.

DLO probably wouldn’t fit in with the grizzled vets on this team and eventually the fans would turn on him. And the second reason which I thought since he signed with Golden State... DLO was never an option. He was never a free agent. We were never going to pay him 27m per year and Golden State needed to do that so they could get something for Kevin Durant.

Yes, we were never going to pay him the max.

However, if he did sign an offer sheet with any team, regardless of the salary, the Nets would be forced to let him walk, or give up on Kyrie+Durant.

An RFA who has their offer sheet matched by his current team gets an automatic no-trade clause for one year. I like this rule because it prevents teams from holding players hostage and using them as bargaining chips, if said player has no future with his current team.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject:

So glad we didn't get this guy. Too streaky and plays no defense
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

LOL the Warriors going full 96-97 Spurs right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
So glad we didn't get this guy. Too streaky and plays no defense

Yes, thank goodness we have Cousins and Rondo to save us.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Dlo's flakey defense would make Vogel want to strangle him.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Is anyone here thinking that DeAngelo is a worse defender of guys like kirye, lillard, kemba or mccollum?
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
Is anyone here thinking that DeAngelo is a worse defender of guys like kirye, lillard, kemba or mccollum?

I'd say he has better hands defensively than those guys, but slower feet.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
AD23 wrote:

LOL the Warriors going full 96-97 Spurs right now

From 73-9 to 9-73.

saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"I thought the opportunity [with the Timberwolves] was amazing," Russell said after Warriors shoot-around Friday. "It was definitely something I was considering very strongly. But then when this opportunity [with the Warriors] came, the weather is way better, so that helped me."

It turns out the winter weather was more than a small talking point. Russell said it "for sure" played a significant role in his decision.

"I did my first winter in New York and that was tough," Russell said. "So to get the opportunity to go somewhere where it's warm again, I think that played a major part in my plan."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/dangelo-russell-says-weather-played-a-major-part-in-picking-warriors-over-timberwolves/
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

His 4th team in 3 years. I do not get what it is about DLO that makes teams give up on him, because talent and skill wise he is up there. At least with us, we had the Swaggy P stuff and had to get rid of Mozgovs contract.

It was his dream to play with KAT (and I think Booker as well). Good for him and KAT. That will be a nice match. I think they are a better duo (win-loss and impact wise) than Zion and Ingram will prove to be (Zion will be better individually than KAT maybe and Ingram may also be better individually than DLO). I think back to all the players we drafted that were good or very good (DLO, Randle, Ingram, Ball, Kuzma). If I could choose just one of them, I would probably go with DLO (at a slightly cheaper contract since AD and LBJ have super maxes).

His skillset is very good and he is a player that I think plays winning basketball on offense. However, for some reason, he is not able to stick in one place for very long. The Wolves with KAT and him, may finally be that place. Think this is a good deal for the Wolves.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
His 4th team in 3 years. I do not get what it is about DLO that makes teams give up on him, because talent and skill wise he is up there. At least with us, we had the Swaggy P stuff and had to get rid of Mozgovs contract.

It was his dream to play with KAT (and I think Booker as well). Good for him and KAT. That will be a nice match. I think they are a better duo (win-loss and impact wise) than Zion and Ingram will prove to be (Zion will be better individually than KAT maybe and Ingram may also be better individually than DLO). I think back to all the players we drafted that were good or very good (DLO, Randle, Ingram, Ball, Kuzma). If I could choose just one of them, I would probably go with DLO (at a slightly cheaper contract since AD and LBJ have super maxes).

His skillset is very good and he is a player that I think plays winning basketball on offense. However, for some reason, he is not able to stick in one place for very long. The Wolves with KAT and him, may finally be that place. Think this is a good deal for the Wolves.

Warriors picked him up to trade later as they already had the best backcourt in the league. Nets got Kyrie and KD so not hard to figure out either. If he was in some mid level team like Magic who are not going anywhere and got traded from there, would be a surprise. Minny pushed for this trade so maybe the narrative should be they wanted him way more than Warriors who had Klay and Steph to start with?

Timberwolves 2021 pick protected to No. 3, and becomes unprotected in 2022, per sources. Minnesota kept pushing for Russell, who it has wanted since summer free agency and finally got the point guard Gerssson Rosas imagined pairing with KAT.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225480939196895233?s=19
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. It's funny that certain people want to somehow bash DLO for that. The Warriors "gave up" on him? They got two first rounds picks and Andrew Wiggins and Minnesota had wanted to pair him with KAT for a while. The Warriors likely wanted to see Russell with Curry and Klay, as most did, but Curry got hurt and Klay isn't returning till much later, and they had a good trade that fills an empty position (which means Klay doesn't have to play the 3) so they made that decision. They also traded him for Wiggins(whom is having the best year of his career) and two 1sts. So yeah... not for nothing. And the Nets parted with Russell because it also meant getting KD in a S&T, and they got Kyrie Irving atop of that.

So again, that's not a knock on DLO and it's not "being given up" on lol

He's having a better statistical season this year, than last year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

What's in this for the Warriors? They gave up an All-Star for an empty stats chucker who doesn't play defense and who has a terrible contract.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

they feel they have Steph and Klay at the 1 and the 2, and are intending on trying to have Wiggins at the 3 and see what they can do with his potential with Kerr's coaching and system and have Draymond mentor him on his defense.

That is what I assume is the idea. Particularly as Wiggin's best year has been this one thus far.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What's in this for the Warriors? They gave up an All-Star for an empty stats chucker who doesn't play defense and who has a terrible contract.

Wiggins suck as option 1/2 but pretty good option 4
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Timberwolves will be fun to watch. I'm happy for DRuss and KAT. They just gotta fix up that defense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Timberwolves will be fun to watch. I'm happy for DRuss and KAT. They just gotta fix up that defense.

T'Wolves will likely try to land Booker or Lavine at some point.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Warriors next year will be good again
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject:

That was a home run trade for the Warriors imo. They're going to get a lottery pick on top of a early 2nd round pick. When they signed DLO it was no secret they were probably going to trade him sooner then later. Now they will also be even worse this season and get another lottery pick. Wiggins also isn't bad as a probable 3rd or maybe even 4th option.

They will now be able to do a reload on rookie contracts while fielding a possible contender next season as well depending how Klay looks and they all mesh together.

The Wolves also won since they're looking to entice KAT to be happy and stay there.

I was hoping the Warriors would disappear for awhile but this trade made there future look much more bright.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 96 of 100
Jump to: