D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Lol they gave this kid up in a salary dump
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Nets even got rid of Moz easily.

Nets did lose the last year of his contract, but had to take back 3 million extra for this season.

That's an amazing deal. Way better than all the money we wasted on journeymen this season. Sad thing is I have no hope of Lakers finding and developing bargains like Harris, Dinwiddie. We are good at drafting, but then Maginka gave away DLO, Randle and ZU for the heck of it.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
DLo isn't an effective off-ball player? And his offense already offsets his defense if he never improves from this point forward.

Yea, DLo can actually spot up and shoot. Simmons is the one who can't be effective without the ball and even limited with the ball as defenders sag off as he can't shoot.

Spotting up is one thing, cutting hard to that spot and forcing defenders to switch onto him, even if it leaves them out of position, is something I haven't seen from him. His man is able to stick him on nearly all his cuts.

In the NBA, cutting to the corner is difficult because there's barely any room with the NBA 3-pt line. Russell is very good from there, but only attempts one every three games.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Nets did lose the last year of his contract, but had to take back 3 million extra for this season.

That's an amazing deal. Way better than all the money we wasted on journeymen this season. Sad thing is I have no hope of Lakers finding and developing bargains like Harris, Dinwiddie. We are good at drafting, but then Maginka gave away DLO, Randle and ZU for the heck of it.

Imagine what people would be saying if the Nets had used Caris Levert to get rid of Mozgov's contract.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Dlo wins a playoff game before the Magic-era Lakers (now defunct)...

That being said, this specific game really highlighted everything that's wrong with the Sixers. It wasn't really a great Dlo performance (at least compared to the new standard he set this season), or their starters for that matter - but Dinwiddie/Levert-led bench set the tone from the beginning with an excellent effort.

With Simmons' continued failure against playoff defenses that dare him to shoot, Embiid not being at 100%, and the inevitable Jimmy Butler blow-up at the rest of the team's lack of effort...the Nets are actually taking this series, right?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind trading Dlo as much as WHAT we got for him (though stylistically, he was fun to watch when he got hot and obviously still is). If it was for PG13, I'd have been fine with it, even knowing what we know now. But it was the first in a pattern of moves by Maginka that just didn't have to be made as early as they did. That really turned out to be their MO, a frustrating lack of patience for letting the full picture develop before committing to their free agency pipe dreams, and severely devaluing any assets that weren't in that future plan.

Last edited by TheBlackMamba on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

That being said, this specific game really highlighted everything that's wrong with the Sixers. It wasn't really a great Dlo performance (at least compared to the new standard he set this season), or their starters for that matter - but Dinwiddie/Levert-led bench set the tone from the beginning with an excellent effort.

With Simmons' continued failure against playoff defenses that dare him to shoot, Embiid not being at 100%, and the inevitable Jimmy Butler blow-up at the rest of the team's lack of effort...the Nets are actually taking this series, right?

The Nets could win the damn chip, DLO finals MVP and there would still be people taking shots at him
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I remember when people used to say "he better shape up or he's gonna get his ass traded!" as though that would be a bad thing for him.

I guess all the years where the Lakers were better and more functional than the effin Nets(!) was still ingrained. Nets and Clippers, man.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
DLo isn't an effective off-ball player? And his offense already offsets his defense if he never improves from this point forward.

Yea, DLo can actually spot up and shoot. Simmons is the one who can't be effective without the ball and even limited with the ball as defenders sag off as he can't shoot.

Spotting up is one thing, cutting hard to that spot and forcing defenders to switch onto him, even if it leaves them out of position, is something I haven't seen from him. His man is able to stick him on nearly all his cuts.

In the NBA, cutting to the corner is difficult because there's barely any room with the NBA 3-pt line. Russell is very good from there, but only attempts one every three games.

Actually, he makes really good off ball cuts and baseline cuts.
Players getting it to him is another issue.
I think Zo would actually work well with him...
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

The Nets could win the damn chip, DLO finals MVP and there would still be people taking shots at him

Yeah... I could hear them now:

"I know he hit that long clutch 3 to win the title but he just doesnt look right to the eye test. Id still trade him for capspace that we didnt use last summer"
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I remember when people used to say "he better shape up or he's gonna get his ass traded!" as though that would be a bad thing for him.

I guess all the years where the Lakers were better and more functional than the effin Nets(!) was still ingrained. Nets and Clippers, man.

Doesn't matter what franchise it is, you're only going as far as the people at the top will take you. They had crappy management for years and the team names became synonymous with failure. But they finally shaped up, hired the right people to run things, empowered them to make the decisions, and now we're seeing the results. But Jeannie and the Lakers keep banking on the franchise's great history to save us and think that only people that are part of that history can help get us back on track, ignoring the fact that the past is the past and we've significantly fallen behind the rest of the league for a while now because of that backwards mentality.

We've essentially turned into the 2000s Knicks. And the depressing thing is if Jeannie doesn't fundamentally change her way of thinking, we'll be sitting here just like the present day Knicks in the same damn spot, holding onto successes from decades ago.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
bonkers wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yeah... I could hear them now:

"I know he hit that long clutch 3 to win the title but he just doesnt look right to the eye test. Id still trade him for capspace that we didnt use last summer"

D'lo could hit a 3, in Game 7, in the last seconds, to win the NBA Championship for the Nets.

And there'd be people talking about

"Yeah but he was 9-23 before that shot..."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

The funny thing is that his corner 3PA rate (~ .140) was higher as a Laker and in line with Steph Curry's career averages (.144) before his corner 3 attempts dropped over his last two seasons with the Nets. Almost like he's playing for a different coach who is deploying him in different ways rather than Russell being physically deficient at cutting without the basketball.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Our FO did suck and made some stupid moves. But consider the alternative to dumping Mozgov's contract in 2017, and doing what the Nets did, and what that would mean with Deng already on the books.

We'd leave ourselves with $33 million in total dead capspace (with Dwight's contract of $18.9M after the buyout and Deng's $14.3M hit this year), then swap in DLo's money for Hart (another $5.3M) leaves us with:

$7.45M Lonzo Ball(or another #2 pick at the same salary)
$7.02M D'Angelo Russell
$5.76M Brandon Ingram
$1.76M Mo Wagner
$1.68M Kyle Kuzma (as the 28th pick)
$1.54M Ivica Zubac
$0.89M cap hold
$0.89M cap hold
$0.89M cap hold
$0.89M cap hold
$73.13M total

$29.77M cap space

We'd have to renounce Randle, or if you wanted to keep him, or trade Lonzo just to sign LeBron. I think LeBron spends another year in Cleveland rather than join the squad above.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to DLo on his first playoff win!
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

The funny thing is that his corner 3PA rate (~ .140) was higher as a Laker and in line with Steph Curry's career averages (.144) before his corner 3 attempts dropped over his last two seasons with the Nets. Almost like he's playing for a different coach who is deploying him in different ways rather than Russell being physically deficient at cutting without the basketball.

Russell's corner 3s
19-53 in 80 games .358
23-51 in 63 games .451
10-26 in 48 games .385
22-47 in 82 games .468

Steph's lowest rate came in Mark Jackson's last year, where he went 31-70 (.437) in 78 games. Steph has had a much higher volume of attempts than Russell from the corner throughout his career. He had 120 attempts during the 73 win season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Russell's corner 3s
19-53 in 80 games .358
23-51 in 63 games .451
10-26 in 48 games .385
22-47 in 82 games .468

Steph's lowest rate came in Mark Jackson's last year, where he went 31-70 (.437) in 78 games. Steph has had a much higher volume of attempts than Russell from the corner throughout his career. He had 120 attempts during the 73 win season.

Steph also shoots a lot more threes overall. Like more than just about every other player. That's why I used their 3PA rates.

But since you love totals, let's compare how many corner 3s Damian Lillard attempted. Did he only take around 32 corner 3PAs (out of 643 total 3s taken) this season because he's at a physical disadvantage similar to DLo? Or do you think corner 3PAs might reflect position, scheme, and role, which is why we saw DLo taking fewer corner 3PAs when he joined a new team?
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Grats D'lo on first playoff win.

Good recovery in Q3 after a bad first half.

#WasALeaderAllAlong
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Actually, he makes really good off ball cuts and baseline cuts.
Players getting it to him is another issue.
I think Zo would actually work well with him...

If DLo made effective cuts regularly, I can't see how a decent passer like Dinwiddie would miss him that often, to the point where he makes just .75 assisted two pointers per game. Even if Russell's movement was quicker and more active, not being able to finish above the rim would still limit his off-ball effectiveness. I rarely see backdoor plays work for guards under 6'6 in this league unless there's a dunk involved.

I think any Zo/DLo pairing would force Zo to play too much on ball defense vs opposing star guards. He and Ingram can do it, however it takes away from their other strengths, such as scoring (Ingram) and denial/help/recover defense (Zo).
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

the problem you have there is assuming that dinwiddie is a willing passer

Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Russell's corner 3s
19-53 in 80 games .358
23-51 in 63 games .451
10-26 in 48 games .385
22-47 in 82 games .468

Steph also shoots a lot more threes overall. Like more than just about every other player. That's why I used their 3PA rates.

But since you love totals, let's compare how many corner 3s Damian Lillard attempted. Did he only take around 32 corner 3PAs (out of 643 total 3s taken) this season because he's at a physical disadvantage similar to DLo? Or do you think corner 3PAs might reflect position, scheme, and role, which is why we saw DLo taking fewer corner 3PAs when he joined a new team?

I don't think Lillard really looks for corner 3s, he's too busy running by/shooting over people. Dame is almost exclusively on ball as well.

Lillard is streaky from the corner, and not a great off the ball player either. In fact, putting him as the 2nd option would hurt his game more than it would hurt DLo's (it would definitely be a bad contract situation).

DLo has the know how, and sets good screens, but doesn't have the speed to turn the corner. And maybe he doesn't need to, either; but such an ability would make for better team chemistry should the Nets dump Crabbe before they go fishing this summer.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
the problem you have there is assuming that dinwiddie is a willing passer

He did have DLo open in the corner at least once, the defense left Russ alone on that play where Spencer went up in traffic for the dunk.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Playoff wins since 2015:

DLO - 1
Lakers - 0

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Russell's corner 3s
19-53 in 80 games .358
23-51 in 63 games .451
10-26 in 48 games .385
22-47 in 82 games .468

I don't think Lillard really looks for corner 3s, he's too busy running by/shooting over people. Dame is almost exclusively on ball as well.

Lillard is streaky from the corner, and not a great off the ball player either. In fact, putting him as the 2nd option would hurt his game more than it would hurt DLo's (it would definitely be a bad contract situation).

DLo has the know how, and sets good screens, but doesn't have the speed to turn the corner. And maybe he doesn't need to, either; but such an ability would make for better team chemistry should the Nets dump Crabbe before they go fishing this summer.

Explain to me the decreased frequency between DLo's time on the Lakers and his time on the Nets. Did he get less athletic between year two and year three?
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

went 0/6 to start game.

rest of the way 10/19.

LMAO he was cooking.

19 pts in the 2nd half.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 84 of 100
Jump to: