D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

It's impressive that his ok-ish games still yield 25/10 stat lines.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

The sad thing is, D'lo was on this pace, all the stats pointed in that direction. FO didn't listen.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Idc what anyone says, I don't think I will ever get over us trading him.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Nets are now 26-23 3 games above .500 and 6th seed in the East.

Cutheon wrote:
Thanks, Byron.

Magic's the one that listened and picked Ingram to be better, faster and didn't see how D'lo and Lonzo could fit.

All we can hope for is that Ingram makes the same leap next year. But I don’t see from him the kind of pure scorer/shooter/playmaker that I always saw in Russell.

This hurts. Damn that Mozgov signing and damn Nick Young.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cutheon wrote:
Thanks, Byron.

Magic's the one that listened and picked Ingram to be better, faster and didn't see how D'lo and Lonzo could fit.

All we can hope for is that Ingram makes the same leap next year. But I don’t see from him the kind of pure scorer/shooter/playmaker that I always saw in Russell.

Lol, damn everyone except the guy who screwed with him and the guy who dumped him in revenge for that first guy?
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtAal4Mh3E_
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The sad thing is, D'lo was on this pace, all the stats pointed in that direction. FO didn't listen.

Yep...

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170419-player-capsule-dangelo-russell?cid=tw

Quote:
Season Summary
Perhaps the best method in evaluating D’Angelo Russell’s season is to look at his production after the All-Star break, when his minutes jumped up from 26.5 before the break to 33.3. In 21 games, he averaged 18.5 points on 42.5 percent field goals and 35.6 percent from 3-point range (2.5 makes per game), plus 5.0 assists and 1.8 steals to lead the team in each category. That’s a large enough sample size to draw some positive conclusions from, and even by looking at the season as a whole, Russell was very productive for a young guard, particularly one who often went from PG to SG within the same game.

Russell’s basketball talent is clear: He can score from outside, mid-range and at the rim with an array of jumpers, floaters and post moves. He can set up teammates in screen-and-roll action or out of set offensive plays, and he can handle the basketball. Having just turned 21 late in the season, Russell remains statistically ahead of pace of most current NBA All-Star guards in terms of production.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
MJST wrote:

Cutheon wrote:
Thanks, Byron.

Lol, damn everyone except the guy who screwed with him and the guy who dumped him in revenge for that first guy?

I think you very well know how I feel about Byron lol. If he weren't around I'm not so certain that Magic dumps DLO as quickly as he did.

Oh well. I have as much faith in Lonzo as I did in DLO so hopefully we don't ship him out either. Still waiting on Ingram, but I think he can make it too.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yep...

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170419-player-capsule-dangelo-russell?cid=tw

Quote:
Season Summary
Perhaps the best method in evaluating D’Angelo Russell’s season is to look at his production after the All-Star break, when his minutes jumped up from 26.5 before the break to 33.3. In 21 games, he averaged 18.5 points on 42.5 percent field goals and 35.6 percent from 3-point range (2.5 makes per game), plus 5.0 assists and 1.8 steals to lead the team in each category. That’s a large enough sample size to draw some positive conclusions from, and even by looking at the season as a whole, Russell was very productive for a young guard, particularly one who often went from PG to SG within the same game.

Russell’s basketball talent is clear: He can score from outside, mid-range and at the rim with an array of jumpers, floaters and post moves. He can set up teammates in screen-and-roll action or out of set offensive plays, and he can handle the basketball. Having just turned 21 late in the season, Russell remains statistically ahead of pace of most current NBA All-Star guards in terms of production.

Goldenthroat led the charge on this at least once a week when we had Russell. It wasn't just the stats though. Offensively, Russell passed the eye test in just about every way. Smooth, quick shot. Could get anywhere. Good passer. Just needed to get acclimated to the speed of the NBA and up his efficiency a bit.

He's a lot like Kuzma in the sense that scoring is natural for him. But, unlike Kuzma, he's got a more consistent 3 and can create his own shot.

Lonzo is a much better defender and an equivalent or better playmaker, and probably has a higher basketball IQ overall as well as additional intangibles over DLO, though he's not the natural scorer DLO is and probably never will be. It's a little like comparing Jason Kidd to Gilbert Arenas.

Ingram could be the best of the bunch if he puts it together. He has all the tools to be a natural scorer a la KD and a good defender thanks to his length. But the game still looks to be a few frames too fast for his mind to process most of the time.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I am curious if Russell and Randle blowing up this year has an impact on the trade value of guys like Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac, Hart, etc. Because no matter how badly they perform for us, Rob can argue that they'd more than likely develop well on whatever team they're traded to. Of course, that really speaks poorly about our ability to develop players/put them in a position to succeed...
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I am curious if Russell and Randle blowing up this year has an impact on the trade value of guys like Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac, Hart, etc. Because no matter how badly they perform for us, Rob can argue that they'd more than likely develop well on whatever team they're traded to. Of course, that really speaks poorly about our ability to develop players/put them in a position to succeed...

Lol Magic and Rob would truly be the league's best salesmen if they could use their own deficiencies in infrastructure and player development as a selling point.

As an aside, while I really like Oladipo and hate that he he got hurt, his injury greatly improves D'Lo's chances of making the All-Star Game. Which will be in LA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He has all the tools to be a natural scorer a la KD

I think we need to stop using that comparison for BI. Not even close.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

I don't see the smoothness in Ingram's offensive game for him to be a natural scorer. His athleticism hasn't improved as expected either and we know about his frame. DLO always had crafty moves and his shot form looked great so I always thought he can improve to 38-39% from 3P in few years. His midrange and finishing inside the paint has also improved considerably. And most importantly, he has figured it out as a play maker. Always had the passing skills, but now gained that experience.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

Man I wish they had just kept all the kids, made nice with Mintz, and signed PG. We would still have a big window instead of all the rush to "win now" in LBJ's limited remaining prime. Moz and Deng would've expired in 2020 just in time to sign AD too depending on how much they spent to re-sign Jules and DLO.

PG, BI, Kuz (or Hart), Jules, Zu, DLO, Zo would've been the best young-ish core in the NBA.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's close either. I just think that KD is the guy he most looks like when he's rising up over guys and using his length to hit shots. But BI rarely if ever does that.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Agreed
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

With VO injury he might be an all-star this year
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's close either. I just think that KD is the guy he most looks like when he's rising up over guys and using his length to hit shots. But BI rarely if ever does that.

Not really. If you watch the mechanics/release point, KD is almost unblockable while BI allows smaller defenders to contest his shot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
Man I wish they had just kept all the kids, made nice with Mintz, and signed PG. We would still have a big window instead of all the rush to "win now" in LBJ's limited remaining prime. Moz and Deng would've expired in 2020 just in time to sign AD too depending on how much they spent to re-sign Jules and DLO.

PG, BI, Kuz (or Hart), Jules, Zu, DLO, Zo would've been the best young-ish core in the NBA.

You don't turn down LBJ, who was the unquestioned #1 player in the NBA last year. It was PG's decision and he chose OKC. Simple as that. Sure, Mintz is his agent, but last I checked, Mintz works for PG, not the other way around.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

The ironic thing is that Dlo would've been a match made in heaven next to LAbron. He could've taken over some of his ballhandling responsibilities if that's what Lebron wanted (seemed to be the original plan he and Magic discussed, but we don't have the supporting cast right now to make that happen), and he could've been perfectly fine playing off ball if that's what was required of him. The point is he was one of the few players we had that was malleable and could easily fit into most offenses and rosters. If the FO still can't acknowledge that diversely skilled players like Dlo don't exactly grow on trees after their experience with the current young core, I really don't know what to say.

We're not in a bad position right now, but it also doesn't inspire much faith how impatient and short-sighted they've been with some of the moves that have been made, which is now made worse by the fact that we have a 34-year old Lebron on the roster who wants to win ASAP. If we don't get that second max, it's not going to be pretty.

To be honest, though, good for Dlo that he landed in not only an organization that supports him but a coaching staff that can properly utilize and develop him. With our lack of shooting on the roster and offensive acumen on the coaching staff, I have no doubt he wouldn't have looked nearly as good on the Lakers today as he does on the Nets. Someone really needs to stick a mic in Magic's face and ask him how he feels about Dlo now right after he's announced as an All-Star reserve next week...
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

SAS now praising DLO and asking why Lakers traded him. When he used to tell LA to trade DLO pretty much everyday when he was playing for the Lakers. Now he wants ZO traded everyday. Hope our FO is smarter than this clown at least this time as he can't understand that young talents need time to develop.

https://twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan/status/1088516080144928769
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

I haven't come up with a way for them to use that reasoning in a trade without looking bad.

He is worth more than you are offering because we aren't very good with player development and he will do better because your staff will be able to coach him up.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Not really. If you watch the mechanics/release point, KD is almost unblockable while BI allows smaller defenders to contest his shot.

Haha come on man, I'm trying to meet you halfway here (actually, further than that). I'm saying I've seen glimpses of BI rising above defenders, not that he always does that or even does that most of the time.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

DLo radio interview:

https://omny.fm/shows/joe-benigno-and-evan-roberts/dangelo-russell-1
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I haven't come up with a way for them to use that reasoning in a trade without looking bad.

He is worth more than you are offering because we aren't very good with player development and he will do better because your staff will be able to coach him up.

Yeah it's pretty much impossible. But it might mean that there's a market for our guys because other teams think they can get more out of them than we can. Of course, this would mean that we would get fleeced in any deal we make, because, like you say, we can't realistically leverage for a better deal by implying that our player development sucks. Oh well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 34 of 100
Jump to: