D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Draymond needs to score more as their second best player now. 4 points won't cut it. Contact year too.

GSW gave green a 4 years extension last August.

But he gotta score more still lol
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Draymond needs to score more as their second best player now. 4 points won't cut it. Contact year too.

GSW gave green a 4 years extension last August.

But he gotta score more still lol

Wow. 4 year 100 M until 2023-24. He'd be 34 by the end of that contract.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

He was my #2 target after Kawhi (and maybe a 2A to Jimmy Butler as 2B). Would have been a nice scoring punch for sure and a ball handler.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He was my #2 target after Kawhi (and maybe a 2A to Jimmy Butler as 2B). Would have been a nice scoring punch for sure and a ball handler.

We desperately lack a ball handler to share the responsibilities with Bron. He had Wade at Miami and Kyrie at Cavs. Also the 3rd scorer. I think Avery Bradley would have been a good backcourt partner for DLO. DLO, Avery, Iggy would be a more balanced front court than what we have imo. Should have used KCP money on a SF.

Kawhi played it so smart especially given he had met with PG13 secretly.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

HLs:

Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
DLO, Avery, Iggy would be a more balanced front court than what we have imo. Should have used KCP money on a SF.

There weren't any available at that price who could shoot and defend.

The options were thin once you go lower than $13M in base salary, and even then we'd need to hand out a 4-year deal to be competitive. With Iggy likely coming here eventually, perhaps it was best to sit tight.

We didn't expect KCP to go full Deng on us, with a dash of Ryan Kelly.

Dwayne Wade will un-retire, if this keeps up.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

He’s developed nicely,... but I still don’t think he has a game for Playoffs. Struggles mightily to get to the rim and if his jumper is on he becomes highly predictable to guard because of his lack of ability to get to the rim and the fact he never really developed the post game we saw from him as a rookie.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
He’s developed nicely,... but I still don’t think he has a game for Playoffs. Struggles mightily to get to the rim and if his jumper is on he becomes highly predictable to guard because of his lack of ability to get to the rim and the fact he never really developed the post game we saw from him as a rookie.

He'd have been the complete offensive package if he had the athleticism to get to the rim, but he's continuing to improve on mid range game and floaters since 2018. Kenny wasn't keen on running post ups with guards so that's why we don't see much of that at Nets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

If you have AD and LBJ on your team, he would feast pretty nicely.

Even a theoretical Steph/Klay/DLO/Dray team would be devastating on offense.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

u think he's that much of an upgrade than Kuz as a 3rd option?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Not even close. A huge upgrade.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Watch him drop 40 on us
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Watch him drop 40 on us

if Vogel puts Caruso on him DLO will be emasculated
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah he’s a much bigger upgrade over Kuz. There was a time it was questionable but that time has come and gone.

I’m not entirely certain if DLo would have fit as well as you would expect beside of LBJ and AD. He seems to really need to be the primary half court ballhandler and be allowed to do his own thing kind of to really be his best self. We saw it at OSU, we saw him fail when he was asked to play system ball here, we saw it last year as he struggled until LeVert went down and he was given green light to play with a long leash, and we saw it early on in GS. It could have just been early season struggles, but it isn’t lost on me that he didn’t blow up u til curry went down and he was given the green light.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah he’s a much bigger upgrade over Kuz. There was a time it was questionable but that time has come and gone.

I’m not entirely certain if DLo would have fit as well as you would expect beside of LBJ and AD. He seems to really need to be the primary half court ballhandler and be allowed to do his own thing kind of to really be his best self. We saw it at OSU, we saw him fail when he was asked to play system ball here, we saw it last year as he struggled until LeVert went down and he was given green light to play with a long leash, and we saw it early on in GS. It could have just been early season struggles, but it isn’t lost on me that he didn’t blow up u til curry went down and he was given the green light.

I'd agree about the doubtful fit.

But also because, as I said in another topic, LBJ cannot share the stage with other two scoring all stars unless one of the other two accept to be a luxury role player (see Bosh at MIA or Love at CLE).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

As a Laker fan, I have to say I was very pleased to see it turn out with Kuzma having 22 points as a lower usage 2nd/3rd option in the offense and making 3-6 from behind the arc, showing better athleticism and better off the ball play (and even some D by Kuzma) than DLO. DLO end up with 21 points on 0-4 shooting. Nice little win there by Kuzma

DLO is a stud at running pick and rolls, and he will make the all-star team a few times for sure. Gonna have really nice career.

But outside of running pick and rolls as a high usage player, I found nothing he did stood out. He is not a major league impact player ala Lebron or AD. He is not an off the ball 3rd option threat that can defend a bit like Kuzma showed he can become. I am very happy with the DLO trade. Only boo boo we made was to not keep Bropez. If we keep Brook at 5-6 M, we have Brook, capspace and Kuzma to show for that trade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
As a Laker fan, I have to say I was very pleased to see it turn out with Kuzma having 22 points as a lower usage 2nd/3rd option in the offense and making 3-6 from behind the arc, showing better athleticism and better off the ball play (and even some D by Kuzma) than DLO. DLO end up with 21 points on 0-4 shooting. Nice little win there by Kuzma

DLO is a stud at running pick and rolls, and he will make the all-star team a few times for sure. Gonna have really nice career.

But outside of running pick and rolls as a high usage player, I found nothing he did stood out. He is not a major league impact player ala Lebron or AD. He is not an off the ball 3rd option threat that can defend a bit like Kuzma showed he can become. I am very happy with the DLO trade. Only boo boo we made was to not keep Bropez. If we keep Brook at 5-6 M, we have Brook, capspace and Kuzma to show for that trade.

I am not sure we have that secondary ball handler to create for himself and others when things slow down in playoffs. Mark Jackson was making the same point on ESPN last night that we need another ball handling guard who can get his own. That was one major weakness against Clippers as well. And that as on a night when Green couldn't miss.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I am not sure we have that secondary ball handler to create for himself and others when things slow down in playoffs. Mark Jackson was making the same point on ESPN last night that we need another ball handling guard who can get his own. That was one major weakness against Clippers as well. And that as on a night when Green couldn't miss.

The second ballhandling option is Bradley, and the second point guard is Rondo. You can run lineups where Rondo, Bradley, Green, Lebron and AD are your closing 5 against the Clippers. That is a match up we never saw that opening game. If Rondo is used in short bursts and able to max out his energy, I can see him be that guy in the playoffs, and AB can also attack a defense a little bit of the dribble.

It is all on how badly these guys want to win a title and how healthy they are come playoffs.

Clippers have the perimeter weapons, but we also have shown elite perimeter D. Guess what though - Clippers are not an elite paint defensive team. Guess who happens to be a great points in the paint team right now with AD, Lebron, Dwight-McGee, guys like AB being able to finish layups etc.

IMO Clippers strengths we can defend. If we play to our strengths (Paint) then it will require Clippers to leave our shooters open. The series against them will be won or lost based on whether Danny Green, Kyle Kuzma, Avery and etc. make their outside shots when they send doubles and triples on AD and Lebron inside. We make our shots respectably we win the series,. We don't, we're out. IMO it's that kind of series. So I guess what I would argue is not so much for a second ballhandler, but if Kuzma and Bradley (and others) do not show by trade deadline they can hit their outside shots at 36+%, then Rob should look at making a move for players who can. Actually, regardless, on a team like the Lakers, the way they are built, you just can't get enough 3nD role players. I'm Kuzma, I'm Caruso. Rondo. I am taking those spot up 3s all day in practice and by myself. All the top teams will be trying to defend AD and Lebron through help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

i don't know how smart Kawhi played anything... the jury is still out.

to me, he overthought it. the answer was to STAY IN TORONTO! that team is still kicking ass without him. and he hates the spotlight anyway. what better place to be than CANADA!

plus he would have been a GOD over there.

saetarubia wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We desperately lack a ball handler to share the responsibilities with Bron. He had Wade at Miami and Kyrie at Cavs. Also the 3rd scorer. I think Avery Bradley would have been a good backcourt partner for DLO. DLO, Avery, Iggy would be a more balanced front court than what we have imo. Should have used KCP money on a SF.

Kawhi played it so smart especially given he had met with PG13 secretly.

Last edited by oaktown_dimond on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

The second ballhandling option is Bradley, and the second point guard is Rondo. You can run lineups where Rondo, Bradley, Green, Lebron and AD are your closing 5 against the Clippers. That is a match up we never saw that opening game. If Rondo is used in short bursts and able to max out his energy, I can see him be that guy in the playoffs, and AB can also attack a defense a little bit of the dribble.

It is all on how badly these guys want to win a title and how healthy they are come playoffs.

Clippers have the perimeter weapons, but we also have shown elite perimeter D. Guess what though - Clippers are not an elite paint defensive team. Guess who happens to be a great points in the paint team right now with AD, Lebron, Dwight-McGee, guys like AB being able to finish layups etc.

IMO Clippers strengths we can defend. If we play to our strengths (Paint) then it will require Clippers to leave our shooters open. The series against them will be won or lost based on whether Danny Green, Kyle Kuzma, Avery and etc. make their outside shots when they send doubles and triples on AD and Lebron inside. We make our shots respectably we win the series,. We don't, we're out. IMO it's that kind of series. So I guess what I would argue is not so much for a second ballhandler, but if Kuzma and Bradley (and others) do not show by trade deadline they can hit their outside shots at 36+%, then Rob should look at making a move for players who can. Actually, regardless, on a team like the Lakers, the way they are built, you just can't get enough 3nD role players. I'm Kuzma, I'm Caruso. Rondo. I am taking those spot up 3s all day in practice and by myself. All the top teams will be trying to defend AD and Lebron through help.

Bradley shouldn't be the secondary ball handler. In very limited spots he's serviceable but the offense without Lebron while Avery is on the floor is still really clunky.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Say what you want about DLO's defense, which is still below average, but offensively, not even close. He would be such a pressure reliever for the team. The only question is how a trio of LBJ/AD/DLO would have worked. Too many mouths to feed from those 3.

You kind of need a perimeter scorer on this team that is a guard. Obviously someone like a healthy Klay is ideal who defends and doesn't dominate the ball (and is an elite 3 point shooter). Or alternatively, a guard who can break down defenses better which none of our points really do well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah. Say what you want about DLO's defense, which is still below average, but offensively, not even close. He would be such a pressure reliever for the team. The only question is how a trio of LBJ/AD/DLO would have worked. Too many mouths to feed from those 3.

You kind of need a perimeter scorer on this team that is a guard. Obviously someone like a healthy Klay is ideal who defends and doesn't dominate the ball (and is an elite 3 point shooter). Or alternatively, a guard who can break down defenses better which none of our points really do well.

This is why I've always argued that Klay is literally as elite a #3 guy as you can possibly find in the league and advocated him more than any other FA. Elite defense, GOAT caliber shooting, the potential to singlehandedly win a game or 2 in any series against any team. Most importantly, his low usage rate makes him the perfect compliment to a superstar duo. Pipe dream though unfortunately.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

When I say secondary ballhandler, I mean a guy that can do some plays with the ball in his hands from the guard spot, not a PG. So Lebron would be the QB. The plan should be to have one of Rondo or Lebron in the entire game. This way you have a QB to run the offense the entire game. We saw this only one time so far this RS. It looked great.

What AB is, and Caruso too, is a second ballhandling option. We saw those plays where the bigs set up at the elbows and AB curls coming off a screen and then gets the ball handed to him. In that situation he is an effective ballhandler. He can shoot that mid-range shot, he can drive to the hoop or he can dish it to a rolling big. He is pretty good at that play.

If we want a guy that can move Lebron to off the ball, or be the point, it is not Bradley for sure, it is Rondo. Only Rondo can do that. The issue with Rondo will be teams will sag off him, so he needs to take those outside shots to keep the defenses honest. If Rondo is making an impact, then you can close games with Rondo at point, Lebron a bit off the ball, AD and 2 shooting wings.

As for Klay, I have to agree in terms of fit. When healthy, he was a great 3rd option. He's a proven championship #2 and #3. Don't know what player he will be after an ACL. Probably going to take him a full season to get back into it. Then the third season he will be back to his self. I dunno if I would have gone for Klay in that scenario. I think it will be 2022-23 when Klay is back to being Klay, and by then Lebron's window may be closed. Lebron/AD window is 19-20, 20-21. That's it, IMO. To win beyond that, would need a player to be as good as Lebron is now, to take over Lebron's #1 spot on the team. Which isn't Klay, but could have been Kawhi, and could be Giannis if he chose to sign. Not a high chance we get Giannis, though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 95 of 100
Jump to: