D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think his ceiling as a player is?

IMO as of right now he is on track to be AT THE LEAST a Dame Lillard tier player.

That said, he just turned 23... so imagining that he continues to grow as a player, fixes some stuff & maxes out his potential, which I know we can say for any player, but DLo has shown an insane amount of growth already so the thinking is, "why wouldn't he keep getting better?"... are we talking top 10 player, MVP candidate type..??

Bill Simmons said on his podcast of all the young guards in the league right now DLo has the most "Harden potential," someone who can get you around 30 a night, etc.

I know it's Bill Simmons, so one would assume that he's just rubbing it into the Lakers saying that, but Bill has been supportive of Russell even when he was in Byron's dog house.

All that said... though it has already been almost 2 years now, I still can't believe we traded him smh.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:

IMO as of right now he is on track to be AT THE LEAST a Dame Lillard tier player.

That said, he just turned 23... so imagining that he continues to grow as a player, fixes some stuff & maxes out his potential, which I know we can say for any player, but DLo has shown an insane amount of growth already so the thinking is, "why wouldn't he keep getting better?"... are we talking top 10 player, MVP candidate type..??

Bill Simmons said on his podcast of all the young guards in the league right now DLo has the most "Harden potential," someone who can get you around 30 a night, etc.

I know it's Bill Simmons, so one would assume that he's just rubbing it into the Lakers saying that, but Bill has been supportive of Russell even when he was in Byron's dog house.

All that said... though it has already been almost 2 years now, I still can't believe we traded him smh.

I think D'Lo has a shot to be the best non-Ben Simmons guard in the East in 4 years. Simmons is a freak being able to do the things he can at 6'10.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:

That said, he just turned 23... so imagining that he continues to grow as a player, fixes some stuff & maxes out his potential (which I know we can say for any player, but DLo has shown an insane amount of growth already so the thinking is, why wouldn't he keep getting better?)... are we talking top 10 player, MVP candidate type..??

I think he'll be Kemba Walker-ish, but absolute peak could be somewhere between Lillard and Harden (so top 10, but sub-MVP level).
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
DA1 wrote:

That said, he just turned 23... so imagining that he continues to grow as a player, fixes some stuff & maxes out his potential (which I know we can say for any player, but DLo has shown an insane amount of growth already so the thinking is, why wouldn't he keep getting better?)... are we talking top 10 player, MVP candidate type..??

I think he'll be Kemba Walker-ish, but absolute peak could be somewhere between Lillard and Harden (so top 10, but sub-MVP level).

DLo already ahead of schedule compared to Kemba at the same stage of their careers.

& when comparing 23 year old DLo vs 28, in his prime Kemba:

DLO:
21 PPG, 7 APG, 4 RPG, 43.6% FG, 36.8% 3PT in 30 MPG

KEMBA:
25 PPG, 6 APG, 4 RPG, 42.8% FG, 35.6% 3PT in 35 MPG

A big note is DLo only avg 2.5 FTA/g (82% FT) while Kemba gets to the line 5.3x a game (84% FT).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Kemba. Lillard level players to me. But hey he had to go.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Page 69
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Page 69

Nice.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

To re-iterate, we traded him so we could sign a 2nd star, and it turns out he is a star?
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
I cant believe the Lakers are the ones who are on the bad side of trades like this

been that way since they got rid of Mitch and didn't put Jesse Buss and Ryan West in charge.

When you think about it, its crazy that we fired a F.O. that had won two rings not that long ago, and was clearly drafting and rebuilding solidly.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak was right.

Its funny before the Lakers blew up in 2008, everyone was making fun of how bad Jim/Mitch were; then all of a sudden people were like oh wow their decisions were really good.

Thats the thing with competent, future based decisions, incompetent people cannot see how good those decisions are at the time.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
MJST wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
I cant believe the Lakers are the ones who are on the bad side of trades like this

been that way since they got rid of Mitch and didn't put Jesse Buss and Ryan West in charge.

When you think about it, its crazy that we fired a F.O. that had won two rings not that long ago, and was clearly drafting and rebuilding solidly.

It's not that crazy, MozDeng were fireable offenses.
The problem is that the root cause of those signings was Jim's deadline which made him swing on 0-2. He needed something to try to get back into the playoffs to keep his job.

If you realize that, then you can realize that maybe Jim should be fired for MozDeng but then you can keep Mitch in place and find someone else with a vision to be POBO (cough cough The Logo)
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
MJST wrote:
foshowtime wrote:

It's not that crazy, MozDeng were fireable offenses.
The problem is that the root cause of those signings was Jim's deadline which made him swing on 0-2. He needed something to try to get back into the playoffs to keep his job.

If you realize that, then you can realize that maybe Jim should be fired for MozDeng but then you can keep Mitch in place and find someone else with a vision to be POBO (cough cough The Logo)

I understand what led to them getting fired, but its still crazy to think that overall they had done better than a majority of other F.O.'s.

Also, I really like Mitch, but I think him and Jim worked collaboratively. This whole every bad decision was Jim and every good decision was Mitch narrative is not believable to me.

I remember Bynum's first two years he was viewed as Jim's love child then he emerged and everyone said what a great Mitch pick.

Moz/Deng were bad contracts, but they had otherwise saved enough money that even with those contracts we still had enough for a max. Also they were timed to become expirings right when our young guys would start to emerge. As such, they were bad contracts but definitely not fireable offenses.

Anyway, Im not trying to get in the weeds. I just think we got rid of an experienced, title winning FO very early in a rebuild only to replace them with two amateurs.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak was right.

I still think it was Jim’s choice.. from their interaction when Mitch called in the pick and didn’t look at Jim basically reassuring him
“This was the right choice”
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Mitch Kupchak was right.

Its funny before the Lakers blew up in 2008, everyone was making fun of how bad Jim/Mitch were; then all of a sudden people were like oh wow their decisions were really good.

Thats the thing with competent, future based decisions, incompetent people cannot see how good those decisions are at the time.

Let's hope the same applies for Magic and Rob.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
Mitch Kupchak was right.

Let's hope the same applies for Magic and Rob.

Rob and Magic don't make future based decisions beyond "punt".
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

What a horrible decision by Dinwiddie to take that by himself at that point in the game
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
To re-iterate, we traded him so we could sign a 2nd star, and it turns out he is a star?

ill never be convinced he wasn't traded because of the swaggy saga and the hate byron had for him.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Their schedule gets crazy tough starting Monday.

Make or break time for him.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

this man playin DEFENSE out there tonight bubba
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
this man playin DEFENSE out there tonight bubba

What a brutally physical game lol
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Big Game tonight, and he does a great job leading his team tonight.
His leadership has really impressed me, and he is starting to throw the alley oops much better and more consistently.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

His 3pt shot has been off for a minute. Hopefully he brings that up soon.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
His 3pt shot has been off for a minute. Hopefully he brings that up soon.

his feet was all over the place on them shots tonight
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I cant believe mans missed that dunk tho
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

How much does Dlo get paid this offseason? It would suck if he went through an extended shooting slump to end the year...doesn't change what he proved earlier, but the optics of that won't help in contract negotiations.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 69 of 100
Jump to: