D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
well lets say we still had DLO... we would be letting him walk to sign a more elite prospect anyway

Whats a more elite prospect at 22 than what D'lo is at his position right now?

I'd be keeping D'lo for sure and not letting him walk, re-sign him long term and getting his Bird's Rights would be vital.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
I have come to terms with the DLO trade. Lets be honest our franchise has different expectations and we should put things in perspective

is he going to be a good player? possible multiple All-Stars maybe?
is he going to be a hall of fame or championship level PG, who knows

theres are a lot of good players, all stars league wide

Lets not forget he plays in the East

I imagine DLO to have a Mike Conley type of career, which is good, but will he ever be a starting level champion?

Lets be honest if he were in the west he wouldn't be an all star. Look at Demar Derozen. Mike Conley on the Nets would be a multi-time all star,

Stuff like this is the problem with Lakers fans, media, and the FO. Their expectation are out of wack and that just causes everyone else, including other FOs to hate and clown us.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/BrooklynNets/status/1098619328289742854

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

Lookit Wade ignoring Snitchelo there. Michael Wilbon was right all along.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

There are a lot of people in the media who are more than willing to sell a BS narrative in exchange for feeling like one of the cool kids. Guys like Byron Scott and Magic Johnson make a guy like Michael Wilbon (who's right around the same age as them) feel good and he's gonna happily tell their version of the story. And that happens a lot.

The extent to which the machine was used to poison the well against Russell is as fascinating to me as it is frustrating.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

There are a lot of people in the media who are more than willing to sell a BS narrative in exchange for feeling like one of the cool kids. Guys like Byron Scott and Magic Johnson make a guy like Michael Wilbon (who's right around the same age as them) feel good and he's gonna happily tell their version of the story. And that happens a lot.

The extent to which the machine was used to poison the well against Russell is as fascinating to me as it is frustrating.

Soooo much if the BS seems to come from older guys not making an effort to relate to the younger guys. Swag, hair, tats, clothes, music, basically anything that someone 20+ years older doesn't identify with becomes 'evidence' that the youngster is on the wrong path.

Such a shame.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Not to mention the dinosaur basketball takes: Wilbon was certain Okafor was the next great big man and that the Lakers screwed up taking DLo over him.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:
but will he ever be a starting level champion?

I'm not sure what you mean by "starting level champion."

Is he good enough to be a starter on a ring team and make a major contributor to a ring? Sure.

Is he good enough to be the #1 or #2 guy on a ring team? Probably not.
Disagree with your last point. I think the way he's trending and playing, he'll be a nice #2.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

Is he good enough to be a starter on a ring team and make a major contributor to a ring? Sure.

Disagree with your last point. I think the way he's trending and playing, he'll be a nice #2.

Also to consider is the caliber of the #1. A prime Shaq would require much less out of his #2 than Harden.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

Not to mention the dinosaur basketball takes: Wilbon was certain Okafor was the next great big man and that the Lakers screwed up taking DLo over him.

A week or two ago after one of the national weekend games they asked the old Lakers players on the show if the Lakers made a mistake trading Russell and there responsing where no because of the Nick Young thing and in a separate statement that the Lakers should've taken Okafor.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
A week or two ago after one of the national weekend games they asked the old Lakers players on the show if the Lakers made a mistake trading Russell and there responsing where no because of the Nick Young thing and in a separate statement that the Lakers should've taken Okafor.

A week or two ago??!?!?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

Also to consider is the caliber of the #1. A prime Shaq would require much less out of his #2 than Harden.

DLo is a very different player stylistically tham Kemba, but you're basically getting a better shooting/worse slashing/slightly better defending Kemba, which would help most teams outside of the Warriors window win a lot of games next to a Kobe/Lebron/Shaq type #1 option. I mean, put DLo on the Bucks fighting with Middleton to be their second option and I'm pretty sure the Bucks win the title this year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Practice wrote:

A week or two ago??!?!?

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

DLo is a very different player stylistically tham Kemba, but you're basically getting a better shooting/worse slashing/slightly better defending Kemba, which would help most teams outside of the Warriors window win a lot of games next to a Kobe/Lebron/Shaq type #1 option. I mean, put DLo on the Bucks fighting with Middleton to be their second option and I'm pretty sure the Bucks win the title this year.

Yep
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

True.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Practice wrote:

A week or two ago??!?!?

Yup.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject:

we'll get em saturday buddy

Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject:

Somebody correct me if wrong, but isn't DLo's cap hold this offseason $21.1 million?

If so, even if we had traded Ingram instead of him to the Nets to dump Mozgov, that would've left us with ~ $25 million in capspace this offseason (even after renouncing Bullock), not enough for another star.

Would Russell, an all-star in a conference that lost a net total of *five 2018 all-stars to injury/FA/trade (LeBron, DeMar, Oladipo, Wall, Love, and Porky, gaining only Kawhi) be a suitable #2 for LeBron?

Russell's been a ball dominant guard who only scores 2-3 times per game off of assists, and rarely shoots the corner 3. He doesn't cut or move well off the ball. Also, consider that trading away Ingram (instead of Russell) after a subpar rookie season probably doesn't net us the 27th pick, so no Hart at best (or Kuzma at worst).

*(East did gain one former all-star in Blake Griffin, but Blake hadn't been an all-star since 2015. Butler also joined the East, but has struggled a bit and hasn't endeared himself recently to the people who select the all-star reserves)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Somebody correct me if wrong, but isn't DLo's cap hold this offseason $21.1 million?

If so, even if we had traded Ingram instead of him to the Nets to dump Mozgov, that would've left us with ~ $25 million in capspace this offseason (even after renouncing Bullock), not enough for another star.

Would Russell, an all-star in a conference that lost a net total of *five 2018 all-stars to injury/FA/trade (LeBron, DeMar, Oladipo, Wall, Love, and Porky, gaining only Kawhi) be a suitable #2 for LeBron?

Russell's been a ball dominant guard who only scores 2-3 times per game off of assists, and rarely shoots the corner 3. He doesn't cut or move well off the ball. Also, consider that trading away Ingram (instead of Russell) after a subpar rookie season probably doesn't net us the 27th pick, so no Hart at best (or Kuzma at worst).

*(East did gain one former all-star in Blake Griffin, but Blake hadn't been an all-star since 2015. Butler also joined the East, but has struggled a bit and hasn't endeared himself recently to the people who select the all-star reserves)

I think the argument is that Ingram - if included in a trade - could've netted the Lakers Paul George in 2017 and then they could've finagled their way to a max money slot in 2018 to sign Lebron.

Of course, BI could be better in year 4 than DLo is.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
He doesn't cut or move well off the ball.

this is unchrue bby

his supporting casts creation skills leave alot to be desired in the recognizing cutters department, mans got great feel for baseline cuts, when to slip screens on the split cut action and all that jazz (boy be settin some good screens too), dont even get me started on his relocation awareness folks

he was definitely doing all the cuts and whatnot in these laker streets (rip kobe and the CATALYST) and he aint forgot how to do them neither, he just need some more passy minded friends to reawaken his vigor for off ball movey stuffs

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

It's amazing how context only gets applied in one direction.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I think the argument is that Ingram - if included in a trade - could've netted the Lakers Paul George in 2017 and then they could've finagled their way to a max money slot in 2018 to sign Lebron.

IIRC, Pacers wanted more than the #2 pick and Ingram, who had little trade value coming off an underwhelming rookie season. At the very least they wanted some cap relief, if not more future picks/swaps.

At the time this trade was on the table, LeBron looked less likely to leave Cleveland in 2018. Kyrie had yet to ask for a trade and was under contract until 2019. Don't think LeBron leaves Kyrie/Love for a chance to team up with Paul George and Kuzma/Hart in a tougher conference.
JeffreyRashad
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Practice wrote:

A week or two ago??!?!?

Yup.

Yeah lol, it was on the Channel 7 post-game show with Norm Nixon + Michael Cooper. The question was asked and they really held it down for the Showtime Mafia.

I was flabbergasted.

Prod: Drake - 'Is There More'

Lakers fan since age 2. Nick Van Exel was my first hero
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
He doesn't cut or move well off the ball.

this is unchrue bby

his supporting casts creation skills leave alot to be desired in the recognizing cutters department, mans got great feel for baseline cuts, when to slip screens on the split cut action and all that jazz (boy be settin some good screens too), dont even get me started on his relocation awareness folks

he was definitely doing all the cuts and whatnot in these laker streets (rip kobe and the CATALYST) and he aint forgot how to do them neither, he just need some more passy minded friends to reawaken his vigor for off ball movey stuffs

He can cut and be sneaky off the ball, and flares out to the arc very well (and great point about slipping screens he sets, though how dangerous he is on the slip is debatable). He knows how, but does he have the quickness to make a scoring cut before the defense closes the gap?

Compared to the FA class we were looking at last year and this year, there were/are many wings/SGs who move better off the ball, and Kyrie figures to be significantly better than Russell for at least the next few years.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

It's amazing how context only gets applied in one direction.

I honestly am being objective to the best of my awareness. Was doubting the FO and myself for buying in to the Russell trade, until hearing from a Nets writer their cap hold was $21.1 million should they try to keep their young star.

If his cap hold really is $21.1 million, and we had kept him, there's a good chance LeBron is commuting to/from his beach house in Jersey right now while playing for Philly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 59 of 100
Jump to: