Official: Mayans M.C. TV Show thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Official: Mayans M.C. TV Show thread

(I always wanted to do an "official" thread...lol)

Anyway, on Tuesday, September 4th on FX, a new TV shown named "Mayans M.C." begins.

It is being made by the same guy who created Sons of Anarchy, and the previews look gritty & cool.

So if this interests you, be sure to set your DVRs.

With this being the Official thread and all, you can leave your thoughts here after each episode...

LINK: https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/mayans-mc
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

they have already released Episode 1 on their FX+ service online....they have a free trial if you prefer not to wait.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if Mayans will run long enough or where enough years have passed that SOA can be brought back with Abel and Thomas fighting to take over the M.C.?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

The first few seasons of SoA were pretty good.
Then things just started getting ridiculous.
magic2worthyslamdunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

looking forward to this show!
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

If it's close to as good as Sons was, I will be watching every week.

Can't wait for the 1st episode!
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

I've been excited about this one for a long time.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

im interested, I wonder how much cross interaction there will be with SOA. From what I can tell from one of the previews, it look like this show takes place after the end of the SOA series.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
im interested, I wonder how much cross interaction there will be with SOA. From what I can tell from one of the previews, it look like this show takes place after the end of the SOA series.

everything I have read, there will be very little initially (1st Season). They want to see how it stands on it's own without having to depend on SOA. I think it starts after Jax Teller's death, and immediately moves from "Charming, CA" which is supposed to be near Stockton, CA to a California border town. Marcus (Emilio Rivera) who lead the Charming/Stockton Mayans in SOA is the only main crossover character that I am aware of, and he has a limited support role in Mayans as he did SOA. Kurt Sutter said there could be more crossover in later seasons....but it would be limited.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

everything I have read, there will be very little initially (1st Season). They want to see how it stands on it's own without having to depend on SOA. I think it starts after Jax Teller's death, and immediately moves from "Charming, CA" which is supposed to be near Stockton, CA to a California border town. Marcus (Emilio Rivera) who lead the Charming/Stockton Mayans in SOA is the only main crossover character that I am aware of, and he has a limited support role in Mayans as he did SOA. Kurt Sutter said there could be more crossover in later seasons....but it would be limited.

I've never gotten how Charming is supposed to be near Stockton, seems by the scenery and "redwood originals" that it should be on the 101 north of SF. Not saying you are wrong in saying that because I have heard the same thing, just saying doesn't make sense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

I've never gotten how Charming is supposed to be near Stockton, seems by the scenery and "redwood originals" that it should be on the 101 north of SF. Not saying you are wrong in saying that because I have heard the same thing, just saying doesn't make sense.

I have no idea on the ground....not familiar with the region.

Quote:
Charming's population is 14,679, and the city motto is "Our Name Says It All". Charming covers 22.7 square miles (59 km2) and is located in San Joaquin County, California, in the upper part of the metro triangle, which is bounded by the Bay Area, Stockton, and Sacramento. Show writer Kurt Sutter has stated that he envisions the town as being located between Lodi and Stockton, which would place it near the real-life Census-designated place of Morada, California. At other times in the show, Charming is said to be 50 miles (80 km) from both Oakland and San Jose, and about 30 miles (50 km) from both Stockton and Lodi.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I am looking forward to it, I was a SOA fan!

Jackson Teller went out like a man...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Jackson Teller went out like a man...

or like a bug. Also, Milo's truck probably got all kinds of damage causing him lost income.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

I watched and I was not disappointed. There are some SOA cameos but very few. Frankly, I don't think they need the SOA characters. There are a lot of stories to be told with the Mayans characters.

I remain very excited.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I binge watched SOA over the last three weekends just in time for Mayans MC. I was not disappointed. I don't see a Gemma equivalent character so I'm already expecting better things from this one.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

It is not that the show is not or can not be very good, but Sutter said during every promotional event how important it was that Mayans is not just a Latino version of SOA. The whole first episode felt like the Latino version of SOA to me....even have the guy following in the van.

- Also thought the scene where where Robert Patrick shows up with the Sons....shoots the guys trying to exit the cemetery, then stops for some cordial greeting and light ethnic humor before riding off was a little cheesy. That said, there was a lot of this type of cheese in SOA also.

- could have probably did without the whole "lose 40 lbs." scene, but that is just me.

- they need to incorporate Venus Van Dam into the story.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
It is not that the show is not or can not be very good, but Sutter said during every promotional event how important it was that Mayans is not just a Latino version of SOA. The whole first episode felt like the Latino version of SOA to me....even have the guy following in the van.

- Also thought the scene where where Robert Patrick shows up with the Sons....shoots the guys trying to exit the cemetery, then stops for some cordial greeting and light ethnic humor before riding off was a little cheesy. That said, there was a lot of this type of cheese in SOA also.

- could have probably did without the whole "lose 40 lbs." scene, but that is just me.

- they need to incorporate Venus Van Dam into the story.

I enjoyed watching it. But I wasn't particularly encouraged that there's much reason to continue doing so. As you point out, it felt like like "SOA: San Diego".

The whole Robert Patrick scene was definitely cheesy. No set up, no reason to believe it had any place other than a "HEY! It's SAMCRO" moment. The Gemma cameo was pretty cheesy as well. The hammy way that the flashbacks were introduced didn't help, but at least you felt there might be a reason for he appearance, like setting up a common prison connection between the Mayans and SAMCRO.

I also found the conversation that EZ and Angel had about their dad was hacky and lazy writing. Suddenly, while starting up their bikes, the brothers are going to have some insightful conversation about how they view their dad?

A lot of the "humor" fell flat as well.

I'm going to give it a chance because I enjoyed SOA. But as I said, I'm not encouraged. It feels like Sutter is just doing a money grab after his other projects didn't get the attention that SOA did. Part of feeling may come from the fact that the first episode reeked of one that had to be radically cut down for time and thus lost many of the nuances. But there were more face palm moments than there were "that was cool" moments.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

They actually had to reshoot the pilot after the network saw the first version and told them to go back to the drawing board. They even hired a new director and recast a few roles.

I think they'll work out the kinks but I see what you mean about it being clunky.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

show has gotten a little better in my opinion.....I like the addition Emily Tosta (who plays Leticia Cruz) and reintroducing the Linc Potter (Ray McKinnon) character from SOA.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty good, I like how all the episodes are 90 minutes instead of 60...
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm still enjoying it.

Edward James Olmos is pretty good. I haven't always been his biggest fan but I give him a lot of credit here.

Before the end of this season, I'd like to see EZ do something befitting the genius he is said to possess.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Last night's episode was very good. Lots of stuff there to chew on.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Can cops just open and search a trunk for a tail-light that is out?

Is that probable cause?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Can cops just open and search a trunk for a tail-light that is out?

Is that probable cause?

I do not think so....unless the tail light is wiggling or signalling in Morse Code.....and a voice coming from the trunk probably eliminates many privacy rights (in most states ).
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

cool: there was no voice, just a body...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: