More Developments on the One and Done Rule

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: More Developments on the One and Done Rule

I thought we had a thread on this, but I don't see it. Anyway, here is the latest.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24513084/in-step-abolition-one-done-rule-basketball-stakeholders-align-support-usa-basketball
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

on one hand....I know what this is saying....but what is the point of what it is saying? Just that the NBA will be "involved" with the amateurs identified by USA Basketball? It is not identifying any additional "privileges" for these players, correct?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Most interesting part of the article is that one-and-done won’t go away til 2021 or 2022
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

There were some other developments a few weeks ago. The gist of it was that kids who were designated as elite prospects by USA Basketball would be treated differently. These prospects might be allowed to hire agents, and there was an implication that they might be draft eligible. However, there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of parties that need to agree to this.

I thought we had a thread about this, but maybe not. Anyway, here is a link to the NCAA rule changes a few weeks ago.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24320401/ncaa-announces-new-college-basketball-policy-including-agents-players-longer-postseason-bans
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

Quote:
Without the restrictions of the NCAA's amateurism rules, players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likenesses and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies and the like, which could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsement opportunities to top prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Excited about this news!! So will there be a G-league draft where the high school players are picked?

Or is it where you get drafted by an NBA team and play in the G-league until you're NBA elgible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

The winds of change continue to blow. It’s only a matter of time before college basketball becomes college basketball again.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Excited about this news!! So will there be a G-league draft where the high school players are picked?

Or is it where you get drafted by an NBA team and play in the G-league until you're NBA elgible?

If I had to guess, I'd say neither. I predict the NBA would assign players to d-league teams, and NBA teams would only be eligible to draft them the following season when they would have been eligible if they had gone to college.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: