Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Kyler Murray wins Heisman

Just gives Tua more motivation to spank OU in about 3 weeks.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Close race....Tua got more votes than any other runner up in Heisman history.

Murray - 2,167
Tua - 1,871
Haskins - 783

Wish it was this close every year. It actually should be, but usually media narrative takes over at some point. I would have liked to see Grier and Minshew invited also....they use to always invite 5....what does it hurt? It is a once in a lifetime experience.....invite 5 kids every year. I recall Steve Slaton talking about the first year they trimmed the invites to 3, he finished 4th, and was heartbroken.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Kyler Murray wins Heisman

The numbers don't lie, he came out on top as expected.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Grier's decision to skip West Virginia's bowl game, here's a perspective I happen to agree with...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/08/will-grier-decides-to-skip-bowl-game/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Speaking of Grier's decision to skip West Virginia's bowl game, here's a perspective I happen to agree with...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/08/will-grier-decides-to-skip-bowl-game/

Sure, but I don't know about this specific decision. Admittedly, I don't follow these things closely, but I didn't perceive Grier as one of the top QB prospects for the draft. Unless he has moved way up the list, I would think that a showcase game is worth more than avoiding a possible injury and getting ready for the combine.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

a lot of people do, I just disagree with the trend. It is a real game....no reason to play it if guys are not going to show up. He is so worried about injury but agreed to play in the Senior Bowl. Right now, he is projected as a 1st/2nd Round pick....I think when the dust settles, he will be taken in the first round....but I will never agree with guys skipping their bowl games. I could not imagine Jevon Carter skipping the NIT if WVU was invited...it is just diva bs in my opinion.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

a lot of people do, I just disagree with the trend. It is a real game....no reason to play it if guys are not going to show up. He is so worried about injury but agreed to play in the Senior Bowl. Right now, he is projected as a 1st/2nd Round pick....I think when the dust settles, he will be taken in the first round....but I will never agree with guys skipping their bowl games. I could not imagine Jevon Carter skipping the NIT if WVU was invited...it is just diva bs in my opinion.

Well one thing for sure it tells any prospective pro team something about what kind d of team guy he is
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Will Grier betrays his team and Moutaineer nation....announcing he will skip the bowl game.

I get it's Grier's choice, but one line really stood out to me in his comment. He said, about his teammates that they "taught me true meaning of team", my thought, no they didn't or you'd be playing in the bowl game with them. He's got teammates that this will be the last time they put on pads, the last time they strap on the helmet, and what he is telling them is I'm more important than you. Fine, you can say that, but don't say that by saying you learned what team is. It's like telling my wife of 5 years, you really taught me the value of commitment, and now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go bang this 18 year old.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

Christian McCaffrey was a top-10 pick, and he skipped his team's bowl game. Nick Bosa is probably going to be the 1st overall pick, unless a team that needs a QB trades up. Teams understand where this is all going. As for Grier playing the Senior Bowl, yeah, that's because it's an entire week of being around NFL coaches. It's basically a part of draft prep.

adkindo is right that Grier has a chance to be a 1st round pick and will go in the 2nd round, at worst. There is just way too much to lose for these players, with little to gain.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Christian McCaffrey was a top-10 pick, and he skipped his team's bowl game. Nick Bosa is probably going to be the 1st overall pick, unless a team that needs a QB trades up. Teams understand where this is all going. As for Grier playing the Senior Bowl, yeah, that's because it's an entire week of being around NFL coaches. It's basically a part of draft prep.

adkindo is right that Grier has a chance to be a 1st round pick and will go in the 2nd round, at worst. There is just way too much to lose for these players, with little to gain.

If that is the case, then Grier's stock has gone up a lot this season. That's possible, of course, and I freely admit that I don't pay a lot of attention to projected draft positions until a week or two before the draft. At least Grier didn't fail any drug tests at West Virginia. Perhaps he has rehabilitated his reputation.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Will Grier betrays his team and Moutaineer nation....announcing he will skip the bowl game.

I get it's Grier's choice, but one line really stood out to me in his comment. He said, about his teammates that they "taught me true meaning of team", my thought, no they didn't or you'd be playing in the bowl game with them. He's got teammates that this will be the last time they put on pads, the last time they strap on the helmet, and what he is telling them is I'm more important than you. Fine, you can say that, but don't say that by saying you learned what team is. It's like telling my wife of 5 years, you really taught me the value of commitment, and now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go bang this 18 year old.

honestly, I feel some of it is culture that starts at the top. Dana Holgorsen is a smart offensive guy, but he is not going to retire as the head coach at WVU. I actually would be surprised if he is there past next season. The point is I have always felt like he viewed WVU as a temporary stop....and that trickles down through the program. Last year, our mediocre RB (Justin Crawford) sat out the bowl game, did not get drafted and got arrested for molesting a little girl this past summer.....at least I think Grier will have better results than him.

Our Off. Tackle, Yodny Cajuste, also announced he is skipping the bowl...but I kind of get it with him....he is projected to be a 1st Round pick, and dude has been injured off and on all season, including getting knocked out of the final Oklahoma game...he was going to be about 75% even if he could play.

I am still waiting to see what Sills, Jennings and Wesco decide (the senior WR's and TE) and even junior LB David Long before I buy tickets. Sills and Long were just announced as All Americans....so if most of them skip, even though it is in my city, I am probably not even attending. We have a chance without Grier, but we have no chance without all those guys.

I know that Pat White may have not been considered the level prospect Grier is.....but White was drafted mid 2nd Round (44th overall), and he played in, started, and won 4 bowl games.....and that is why he will always be treated like royalty when he enters the stadium at Mountaineer Field.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

since I am whining about issues with my own program, I will mention another new one....team initiated decommitments. These are kids that the program offered a scholarship to, the kid verbally committed to the program, then the program tells the kid they are pulling the offer before it is signed. WVU does not have a history of this practice, yet we had 6 of them this past month. I think it is 100% bush league, and will cost a program long term. What are the chances that high school coach will encourage his next prospect to commit to a school that screwed over one of his previous kids?

As soon as I saw them start to happen, I was suspicious if they were going to be replaced by better talent or win now players (transfers, JUCO). As I expected, today it was announced we flipped the #2 JUCO Cornerback in the country that was a LSU commit. Clearly this kid is better than the 6 guys that had their scholarships pulled, but it is short sighted. I think it is a coach trying to win as many games as possible now to get his next opportunity, and will not care what shape he leaves the program in once he exits. Unless there is some academic or behavior issue, schools should not be able to pull out of verbal offers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Kansas State hires North Dakota State's Chris Klieman as head coach

Quote:
Kansas State has hired North Dakota State's Chris Klieman as its next head coach, the Wildcats announced on Monday.

Kleiman has gone 67-6 with three Football Championship Subdivision national championships at North Dakota State. He will succeed Hall of Fame coach Bill Snyder, who retired earlier this month.

Kansas State athletic director Gene Taylor promoted Klieman to head coach at North Dakota State while serving as AD at the school in 2013.

LINK

appears to be a great hire by Kansas State
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo is right that Grier has a chance to be a 1st round pick and will go in the 2nd round, at worst.

Sporting News just released a mock, and has him coming off the board @ #6 to Jax.

Quote:
6. Jacksonville Jaguars

Will Grier, QB, West Virginia

The Jaguars are a competent young quarterback away from getting back on track, given they’re still loaded defensively and have the power of Leonard Fournette in the backfield. That’s a pretty good situation for the fearless Grier (6-2, 215 pounds) who is the kind of passer and personality Jacksonville needs as the new face of its franchise.

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

^
#6 overall is pretty aggressive, but if they think he's the second-best QB or thereabouts, hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
#6 overall is pretty aggressive, but if they think he's the second-best QB or thereabouts, hey, you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

yeah, definitely the highest I have seen anyone project him. hey, that article you posted about Grier skipping the bowl from Pro Football Talk.....the author (Mike Florio) was on a regional daily sports radio show in WV yesterday to talk about the Grier decision (although they did not mention article, I assume that is why he was on)....and that guy is not just a journalist with an opinion, he is a hardline advocate. That does not mean his opinion is any less valid, but it caught me off guard. It is kind of just a regional, mostly WVU sports show....nothing very serious, nobody really gets upset.....and guy went on a tirade against the college football system....talking about a "day of reckoning" is coming, and the popcorn vendor getting paid. Later he said that he is a labor attorney, or at least was one....so he definitely comes at it from an angle.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nicole Auerbach ✔
@NicoleAuerbach

EXCLUSIVE: Major college football power brokers like Bob Bowlsby, Barry Alvarez and Gordon Gee tell @TheAthleticCFB that it's time to start talking about an eight-team playoff. As soon as 2020? It's possible

10:03 AM - Dec 12, 2018
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Nicole Auerbach ✔
@NicoleAuerbach

EXCLUSIVE: Major college football power brokers like Bob Bowlsby, Barry Alvarez and Gordon Gee tell @TheAthleticCFB that it's time to start talking about an eight-team playoff. As soon as 2020? It's possible

If it's done correctly, I'm all for it. I just don't want P5 conference champs, and the next 3 highest seeds. If that had happened this year, UCF would still not have made the playoffs. I feel it needs to be P5 champs, best G5 (if they are in the top 15 in ranking) and 2 (or 3) highest ranked teams not in the play offs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Nicole Auerbach ✔
@NicoleAuerbach

If it's done correctly, I'm all for it. I just don't want P5 conference champs, and the next 3 highest seeds. If that had happened this year, UCF would still not have made the playoffs. I feel it needs to be P5 champs, best G5 (if they are in the top 15 in ranking) and 2 (or 3) highest ranked teams not in the play offs.

I would add the G5 team must also win their conference....so highest ranked G5 conference Champ (if in the top 15). It is probably an irrelevant caveat, but would not want something weird to happen where for example....UCF is ranked #6 and plays a #19 ranked Houston in conference championship....Houston wins 38-35....UCF slips to #14 and Houston only bumps to #15......or Houston rises to #16 and Boise wins the MWC and is ranked #15. In the first example, I think Houston should get the nod, and Boise in the 2nd.....while UCF would have been ranked higher than both.

How would you feel about a compromise of it being the highest ranked G5 Champ "or" Independent team.....aka the "Notre Dame Clause"? I would prefer Notre Dame and other independents have to compete for an at large bid, but I have heard this idea floated. One consequence if adopted, schools like Texas, Texas A&M or even Oregon could consider going independent if they feel it is an easier path to the playoff.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
btw, there was a good article in the Orlando Sentinel this week talking about McKenzie Milton's outlook, and quoted Dr. Peter Indelicato (nationally renowned orthopedic surgeon?) claiming the odds are against Milton playing football again. He said best case scenario would be if he overcame the odds and returned to the field, it would not be in 2019...but 2020.

His injury was far worse than most people even thought....as blood flow was cut off in his leg and there was significant nerve damage. Doctors claimed that if he was not so close to a level 1 trauma hospital, Tampa General, he could have actually lost his lower leg based on what had to be done to return blood flow in his leg. He had surgery to correct the blood flow and repair some nerve issues, but will need a total knee reconstruction operation in the coming weeks.

I really hope he can come back....kid was a fierce prime time baller.

guy has already had to undergo 4 surgeries....

McKenzie Milton has 4th leg surgery, will travel with UCF to Fiesta Bowl
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Nicole Auerbach ✔
@NicoleAuerbach

I would add the G5 team must also win their conference....so highest ranked G5 conference Champ (if in the top 15). It is probably an irrelevant caveat, but would not want something weird to happen where for example....UCF is ranked #6 and plays a #19 ranked Houston in conference championship....Houston wins 38-35....UCF slips to #14 and Houston only bumps to #15......or Houston rises to #16 and Boise wins the MWC and is ranked #15. In the first example, I think Houston should get the nod, and Boise in the 2nd.....while UCF would have been ranked higher than both.

How would you feel about a compromise of it being the highest ranked G5 Champ "or" Independent team.....aka the "Notre Dame Clause"? I would prefer Notre Dame and other independents have to compete for an at large bid, but I have heard this idea floated. One consequence if adopted, schools like Texas, Texas A&M or even Oregon could consider going independent if they feel it is an easier path to the playoff.

I'd be against that, I'd want the independent to be an at large. ND has an easier task of getting an at large, even in a top 8 then a G5 would get.

As for Milton, that's heartbreaking to see/read.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I know a lot of people question how effective it is for companies to sponsor these meaningless bowl games....but I am finding myself attracted to those Bad Boy Mowers! I went to website to look at pricing....and the high end ones cost more than an economy size car! Even the basic push mower is over a grand....

those things are like yard tanks!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

OL Deonte Brown among 3 Alabama players suspended for Orange Bowl

Quote:
Three Alabama players, including starting offensive lineman Deonte Brown, did not travel with the team to Miami and will not compete against Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff semifinal game at the Capital One Orange Bowl on Saturday.

LINK

Sources: Clemson expects to be without Dexter Lawrence, 2 others after failed drug tests

Quote:
Star defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence was among three Clemson players who tested positive for a banned substance earlier this month, coach Dabo Swinney told reporters Monday.

Quote:
Lawrence and the two other players -- backup offensive lineman Zach Giella and freshman tight end Braden Galloway -- had a "sliver" of a substance called ostarine in their test samples, Swinney said.

LINK

ostarine (also known as MK-2866 or Enobosarm) is a synthetic SARM....only one way I know a "sliver" finds its way into the body....and that is if a person puts it into their body.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Ducks' Justin Herbert to return for senior season

Quote:
Oregon Ducks quarterback Justin Herbert will return to school for his senior season, he announced Wednesday in a statement released by the university.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

offensive explosion in the famous Cheez It Bowl between Cal and TCU....headed to overtime tied @ 7 points.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 29 of 40
Jump to: