OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

was looking through some recruiting numbers at a macro level, and noticed something interesting. We all know the hotbeds of college football recruits around the country, but I was surprised to what level.

Each year there are approximately 350-375 Four and Five Star (often known as elite prospects) High School Football recruits. Of that total, 4 states produce the bulk of them.

Florida - 45-50 annually
Texas - 45-50 annually
California - 45-50 annually
Georgia - 40-45 annually

These are ballpark numbers, but that means approximately 51% come from four states that make up less than 30% of the total population. If you want to zero in even further, the Florida/Georgia region makes up less than 10% of the total US population, but produces approximately 25% of the nations elite high school football prospects. Other states that produce a material % of elite prospects includes North Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee, each producing around 12-15 elite prospects a year....or a little less than 5% of the total each. An interesting note is if you are looking at a US map, you will notice the Southeast direction of the numbers, but for some reason South Carolina just does not produce a similar number of elite recruits as all of the states around it.....usually less than 5 per year.

In contrast, many of the areas that have traditionally been fertile recruiting grounds no longer are producing as much talent. Growing up, I recall thinking everyone went to Pennsylvania to find their QB, Ohio to find their offensive and defensive linemen, and the NY/NJ Mid-Atlantic area to find RB's and other skill players. While that sounds silly, just take a look at the all time greats in the 70's, 80's and even 90's that kind of follow that map. Western PA earned its nickname..."The Cradle of Quarterbacks". That era appears to be in the past with Pennsylvania routinely producing less than 5 elite football prospects a year, Ohio is usually around 10, New Jersey and Virginia usually less than 10.....and New York & Illinois, the states with the 4th and 5th largest populations in the country routinely produce 2-4 elite prospects a year!

In regards to the West Coast, outside of California, Arizona is producing 7-10 elite prospects a year, while Oregon and Washington each produce about 2-3. Also, it appears that the lesser talented, but often D1 level prospects who receive a 3 Star rating follow in a similar ratio as the elite prospects to the region.

The data is fairly troubling as it suggests the sport has become very regional, and even worse it has been trending in this direction for at least a couple decades. I would expect the reason that the talent is at a much larger % in these regions compared to the overall population is related to much of the migration to the Southeast, Texas, and West in recent decades has been younger adults and their offspring, while older/elder adults have remained in the less talented regions. I also wonder if we are in sort of a transition period where many of the schools that call these fertile recruiting grounds home have appeared to slip over the last decade as other colleges have invaded and began to raid their talent. Schools like Florida, Florida State, Miami, USC, UCLA and Texas are still elite big time programs, but have all been playing at a tier below what they often were in the 90's and early 2000 years. Even Georgia had slipped until Kirby Smart showed up and began to recruit like Saban, and Georgia Tech has not been relevant since the 1990's. I am guessing not too long ago, USC would show up to a SoCal kid's home with an offer, and almost expect an immediate "yes", but now finding themselves fighting the entire PAC12 and MWC for every recruit.

One aspect that I noticed that is likely contributing is the rules and regulations in each state....or how serious each state allows schools to focus on football. For example, full pads spring football is only allowed in 16 states. I do not have a list of 16, but you could probably guess which states do have spring football as I know Florida, Georgia, Texas, California (varies by district), Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama all have about a month devoted to Spring Football which usually includes about 20-22 practices and an external scrimmage within about 30 calendar days. This can make it difficult for kids to play multiple sports, and specialization is often the option for these students....focusing year round on football. I can verify that playing high school football in WV, then in FL was two different worlds. In WV, you played in the fall....then moved onto another sport or didn't, but basically began thinking about football again as summer concluded. In FL, it was a year round commitment. We had Spring Football which basically is where the depth chart was settled and the basic playbook was incorporated, then when we returned to the field with pads in August, it was basically hitting the ground running. Beyond that, we had year round strength and conditioning....and it was not voluntary, it was a scheduled elective. To be on the football team, you were required to take a class called Strength and Conditioning - Football which was the last class of the day for Varsity, and the next to last for JV. In the summer, we were on the field 4 days a week without pads doing skeleton and 7 on 7 under the watchful eye of coaches even though they were not technically allowed to coach anything but skill development. Like I said, it was different world and required a very similar time commitment to what was required when I played in college.

Make what you want of the data....and let me know of anything I may have missed or be incorrect about, or if you have a theory on the direction of the trend, or the outcome if it continues.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject:

The first question is whether the designation of players as four and five star recruits is influenced by their state of residence. This can be true for a number of reasons, in particular the high level of scouting attention. How accurate do the star rankings turn out to be when we evaluate college and pro careers?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The first question is whether the designation of players as four and five star recruits is influenced by their state of residence. This can be true for a number of reasons, in particular the high level of scouting attention. How accurate do the star rankings turn out to be when we evaluate college and pro careers?

That would be more of a thesis or at least a mini capstone level of work, but would be interesting to know. Ten year span, results in college and beyond. That said, I think there is a chance that the results could point in a different direction....that athletes in less fertile areas rate higher because their competition is less allowing them to stand out.

These are anecdotal, but I played high school football in WV and FL. I recall my Sophomore year in WV, it was a big deal that we were playing this school called Mount View because they had a receiver named Jerrold Long.....one of the best players in the state and had signed with WVU. He went to WVU and caught 5 passes in his career there. In Florida, every single week there were multiple guys on the other team that had signed or underclassmen who had committed to BCS schools, and nobody blinked an eye....and the vast majority of them were better than Mr. Long. The other example is a guy named JR House. He had a well off family and was a 2 sport star in Baseball and Football. He would transfer every semester between Nitro High School in WV where he played football to Seabreeze High School in Florida where he played baseball. All State in both as an underclassman. Someone convinced him he could get more exposure in football if he played his Senior season in Florida, so the spring of his Junior year he played Spring football for Seabreeze. I went and watched their Spring scrimmage game against New Smyrna Beach, and dude was mediocre at best. He was too slow, and his arm strength appeared pedestrian. He returned to WV for his Senior season and shredded the state and national record books winning a State Championship at Nitro High School. He threw 10 TD's in the state championship game and to this day is still 4th all time in career passing yards nationally.....Seabreeze went on to compete in the State 6A playoffs without him. In WV, he is the GOAT of high school QB's....in Florida, he was going to struggle to start for an above average high school team. He ended up getting drafted by the Pirates....even made it to the majors a few times....then blew out his knee. He then tried to return to WVU to play QB....he was 3rd or 4th string and left after one season. Today, he is the 3rd base coach for the Cincinnati Reds.

Like I said....it does not prove anything...but two examples of how the high school football competition in these two states is two different worlds.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins announced Monday that he will enter the 2019 NFL draft.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins announced Monday that he will enter the 2019 NFL draft.

Not surprising with Justin Fields announcing he's transferring to OSU and applying for the waiver to play immediately.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Not surprising with Justin Fields announcing he's transferring to OSU and applying for the waiver to play immediately.

I think Fields probably knew Haskins was leaving, and Haskins knows that with Herbert staying, he's the presumptive #1 QB in the draft.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

About to leave to watch the game in Huntington Beach with my buddies. I have Alabama 34, Clemson 24. I'd like to see a good/close game, even though I think 'Bama is better.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I will take 'Bama 37-20
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

'Bama buttoned up helmets on for coin flip.....Clemson holding helmets in hand...not a great sign for Clemson
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Tua throws a pick 6 on first drive!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Tua throws a pick 6 on first drive!

answers right back with a 62 yard TD
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Tua to Jeudy for a 62 Yard TD!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Tua has already thrown 2 TD's within the first 3 minutes of the game....1 for Alabama and 1 for Clemson...
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

14-7 Clemson as the shootout starts ... it’s a PIP Tv evening
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Lawrence with his own 62 yard connection to Higgins, then Etienne punches it in...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Too many people overlook Clemson, they will probably pull off the upset.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Oklahoma is like..."man, these guys do not play any defense"
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

my money is on Lawrence winning the Heisman next year....guy is the perfect prototypical Pro style QB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Forget about Bama beating the Arizona Cardinals, they can't even stop Clemson.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Unlike Oklahoma, Clemson can play a little defense. And Lawrence has a rocket for an arm.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Double post ugh
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Notre Dame is screaming at the television...."we told y'all"
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I will say it would be extremely foolish to count out Alabama at halftime..they march down the field to open the 2nd half, and it is a one score game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

move over Tua....Trevor Lawrence is the new face of college football
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Well, this game isn't going as I expected lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 37 of 40
Jump to: