OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ranked opponents know better than to schedule teams like UCF. Look at Iowa losing to N Dakota State and now no contender will gamble on putting them on their schedule.

The power conferences have discouraged their members from scheduling teams from Division I-AA (or whatever they call it now). The Big Ten even banned it at one point. It's a no-win scenario from the conference's perspective. Unless you are Alabama, strength of schedule matters.

I sympathize with the mid-major schools that can't get into a power conference and that have a hard time scheduling ranked teams from the power conferences. At the end of the year, most people are going to discount their record because they didn't play anyone. Ten years ago, it was Boise State.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

somewhat bold call for Friday's games.... Stanford will not cover (-14) vs. San Diego State and San Diego State RB Juwan Washington will rush for more yards than Stanford's Heisman Candidate Bryce Love. (the LakerLanny special)

Game is on FS1 @ 6PM PT

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I sympathize with the mid-major schools that can't get into a power conference and that have a hard time scheduling ranked teams from the power conferences.

In basketball, just read today Loyola-Chicago is struggling to get anyone to play them out of conference from the Power 5 (or 6 in basketball)....or even respected other Group of 5 teams. This year, the only games they could get were Nevada (expected to be ranked Top 10) and Maryland (major conference). They may get to play BC in an early season tournament if both teams advance.

Quote from Loyola-Chicago coach....

Quote:
"I'm trying," Moser said. "You know what kills me … when you hear first five in, last five out, and you're approaching Selection Sunday and you hear people criticize you for your schedule. That kills me at our level. We're out there trying to do it. We're getting teams buying out of contracts, not wanting to play home-and-homes. It's very tough. You see a lot of the inequality."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. It pisses me off o lot more in basketball. I realize that football has a limited number of available games and a four team playoff. Basketball has a lot of open games and a 68 team playoff. Yet every year we see Kentucky playing Coastal Nebraska or Northern South Dakota Tech.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
somewhat bold call for Friday's games.... Stanford will not cover (-14) vs. San Diego State and San Diego State RB Juwan Washington will rush for more yards than Stanford's Heisman Candidate Bryce Love. (the LakerLanny special)

Game is on FS1 @ 6PM PT

in the 2ndQ....San Diego State has the ball up 7-0.....

- Juwan Washington - 13 carries, 101 yards and a TD
- Bryce Love - 8 caries, 12 yards
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

UPSET ALERT....5:05 left in the 4th Quarter

Utah State - 31
@ #11 Michigan State - 30

Michigan State came in 23.5 point favorites

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michigan State comes back and will hang on to win 38-31....but they are clearly not the #11 team in the country.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Game is on FS1 @ 6PM PT

You were half right! Washington clearly outplayed Love and the Aztecs mighty defenders shut him down brutally.

Unfortunately, the refs were in true mid season Pac 12 Blueblood form and we found ourselves LOSING at the half 9-7 despite completely dominating the game in the first half.

It went downhill from there. No National Title for my beloved Aztecs this year!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Game is on FS1 @ 6PM PT

You were half right! Washington clearly outplayed Love and the Aztecs mighty defenders shut him down brutally.

Unfortunately, the refs were in true mid season Pac 12 Blueblood form and we found ourselves LOSING at the half 9-7 despite completely dominating the game in the first half.

It went downhill from there. No National Title for my beloved Aztecs this year!

yeah, my thought process was that both teams are going to try to run the ball......using a lot of clock....and both teams know the other team is going to try to run...and betting on a San Diego State running back is usually the safest bet in the country. It went according to plan for most of the 1st Half....but I did not know the Stanford QB could throw the ball like he did in 2nd half.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

It is time for Rocky Top vs. Country Roads.....Will Grier returns home to Charlotte, NC to begin his journey to the Heisman!!!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

Alabama is in Orlando to play Louisville tonight....UCF alum are flying banners over Orlando (their hotel, practice field, and game tonight) claiming "UCF 2017 National Champions"....'Bama fans are fuming.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
It is time for Rocky Top vs. Country Roads.....Will Grier returns home to Charlotte, NC to begin his journey to the Heisman!!!

ugh....not the 1st Half I had hoped for....WVU 13 Tennessee 7. Grier 9 of 15 for 153 yards and a TD....but he has missed some big throws. WVU has been ok on defense....pretty good against the run, but the soft zone is too soft against the pass.

Weather delay @ halftime.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Washington put up a respectable performance but that 4th quarter sucked. I’m tired of seeing the PAC-12 choking in big games.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Cal Bears trying to choke away the game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

ugh....not the 1st Half I had hoped for....WVU 13 Tennessee 7. Grier 9 of 15 for 153 yards and a TD....but he has missed some big throws. WVU has been ok on defense....pretty good against the run, but the soft zone is too soft against the pass.

Weather delay @ halftime.

a lot of issues on the defense will need improved....but got the win, and Will Grier and David Sills lived up to the preseason hyped.

Grier - 25-34, 429 YDS, 5 TD
Sills - 7 REC, 140 YDS, 2 TD
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Glad college football is back, but there are so many lopsided games out there.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Chip Kelly era starts off with a UCLA loss to Cincinnati at home.
USC struggles with UNLV at home until the 4th quarter.
Pac-12 doesn't look that great this weekend.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Chip Kelly era starts off with a UCLA loss to Cincinnati at home.
USC struggles with UNLV at home until the 4th quarter.
Pac-12 doesn't look that great this weekend.

Big 12 had a rough start also.....

#23 Texas lost to Maryland
Kansas lost to Nicholls State
Kansas State barely escaped South Dakota 27-24
Ole Miss stomped a mudhole in Texas Tech

Big 10 cannot be happy about the way Michigan State and Penn State played
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Nebraska game got delayed until tomorrow. Guess Fox sports got tired of waiting and are showing the Arizona State game instead.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Nebraska game got delayed until tomorrow. Guess Fox sports got tired of waiting and are showing the Arizona State game instead.

that was anticlimactic...they showed Scott Frost leading them on the field....music blaring....sellout crowd decked out in Red and White going nuts....Akron kicked off...touchback....weather delay (lightning). Postponed to 10:30 AM ET tomorrow.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Arizona State has looked better than I assumed they would have under Herm Edwards while I expected Arizona to look much better than they have so far tonight.

Also, it feels like Tanner Mangum has been at BYU for a decade.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

random thoughts.....

-- All summer the experts told us that Texas and Miami was back! Guess not so much. Those same experts are now telling us Notre Dame will make the CFP.

-- How far will the national media go to cover for Jim Harbaugh? All day I have heard about how Shea Patterson played poorly at QB and that was the primary reason Michigan fell to Notre Dame. Anyone that had any knowledge of Shea Patterson knows he is a spread, shotgun RPO QB....he is a gunslinger. Harbaugh was running an offense like he had Tom Brady under center running a traditional pro set scheme. It was coaching malpractice.

-- I am a little over the grumpy coach routine. Nick Saban is just showing himself to be a pure dickhead. If he is so tired of answering questions, maybe it is time for him to get out of coaching. There is no reason to treat a reporter asking the exact question every reporter would ask this way.

Nick Saban apologizes to reporter for being combative
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
random thoughts.....

-- All summer the experts told us that Texas and Miami was back! Guess not so much. Those same experts are now telling us Notre Dame will make the CFP.

-- How far will the national media go to cover for Jim Harbaugh? All day I have heard about how Shea Patterson played poorly at QB and that was the primary reason Michigan fell to Notre Dame. Anyone that had any knowledge of Shea Patterson knows he is a spread, shotgun RPO QB....he is a gunslinger. Harbaugh was running an offense like he had Tom Brady under center running a traditional pro set scheme. It was coaching malpractice.

-- I am a little over the grumpy coach routine. Nick Saban is just showing himself to be a pure dickhead. If he is so tired of answering questions, maybe it is time for him to get out of coaching. There is no reason to treat a reporter asking the exact question every reporter would ask this way.

Think this was pretty evident when he started winning all those national championships. His ego is a lot bigger now, you can tell by the way he treats his assistants.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
random thoughts.....

Think this was pretty evident when he started winning all those national championships. His ego is a lot bigger now, you can tell by the way he treats his assistants.

for the most part, I am a traditionalist when it comes to football....I spent most of the first half of my life on a football field and appreciate some aspects of the game that are not popular today.....but one thing that has to go is head coaches getting away with being belligerent towards Assistant Coaches, Ref's and even players. At the end of the day, this is a workplace and it may never have the environment of Goldman Sachs, but head coaches have to act a little more professional. For example, it is likely every assistant coach at Alabama could stomp a mudhole in Nick Saban if they chose to, but because of his power afforded to him by the University of Alabama they incur unnecessary extreme verbal abuse.....and Saban is far from alone in this area.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I expect #19 FSU to cover (-7) against #20 Va. Tech tonight fairly easy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

If your name is Terius Wheatley, son of Tyrone Wheatley.....and your home town is Ann Arbor, Michigan, how do you find yourself in the Va. Tech backfield running the ball as a Freshman?!?!? Michigan did not even offer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 2 of 40
Jump to: