Bruce Bowen Won't be Returning as Clippers Analyst
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Bruce Bowen Won't be Returning as Clippers Analyst

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24365520/bruce-bowen-la-clippers-game-analyst

Quote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24365520/bruce-bowen-la-clippers-game-analyst

The sides were expected to move forward on a new deal before Bowen's public comments on Leonard, sources said. Bowen declined comment when reached on Monday.

Kawhi or no Kawhi he was an odd fit to be a Clippers analyst having never played for them. I'm sure they can find an ex-Clip to do to replace him. I honestly wouldn't mind if they brought back Michael Smith. I thought he and Lawler had good chemistry.

Last edited by numero-ocho on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

Clippers think they have a real shot at Kawhi next season
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

good he sucks.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

He wasn't very good (though at least he wasn't annoying like Michael Smith used to be) and I have a hunch this is more to do with them wanting to pursue a different analyst than anything else. If/when Kawhi were to go to the Clippers, they could've always addressed this situation then, and if they believe Kawhi was that sensitive to that commentary and it would ruin their chances at getting him, I'd question whether they want somebody like that anyway.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

bring back gp and webber.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

well, if you work for Apple, probably smart to not criticize Jobs in public, or even Cook.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

whoever is affiliated or a fan of the clippers should really evaluate their life and show some self respect
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

He was terrible. God it annoyed the hell out of me when he said "cookies!" in his incredibly annoying voice. AAARRGGGHHHH! Yeah I didn't like him. Almost anyone would be better. Corey Maggette's a pretty chill dude who actually played for the Clippers. Would be a decent choice IMO.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
He was terrible. God it annoyed the hell out of me when he said "cookies!" in his incredibly annoying voice. AAARRGGGHHHH! Yeah I didn't like him. Almost anyone would be better. Corey Maggette's a pretty chill dude who actually played for the Clippers. Would be a decent choice IMO.

Yup he'd be a good fit for Ralph. Think he does their summer league games and seems decent.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Haven't watched a Clippers game in a while, my guess is from reading these responses the commentary somehow managed to get worse.
kball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

Another name...
And former Clipper who would do a nice job and a guy I've wanted as an assistant coach here since hearing him do analysis on NBA tv...

Brent Barry
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

fired by Clippers for negative analysis of another team's player... cause Clippers trying to woo the player

Isn't this tampering lol?
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Bruce Bowen has always been good at stepping on peoples toes.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

I chuckled when I saw that he’d been fired on Twitter
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Bruce Bowen has always been good at stepping on peoples toes.

hah!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

They should have never gotten rid of Michael Smith he seemed to have good chemistry with Lawler.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
They should have never gotten rid of Michael Smith he seemed to have good chemistry with Lawler.

Had good chemistry but also an antagonistic personality to anybody that wasn't a part of Clipper nation and too much of a homer.

They chose not to renew his contract, and I *assume* it may have had to do with some legal issues he had previously though of course nothing was ever mentioned about that in their statements at the time (just seems like Ballmer's been trying to clean up any off-court mess).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Had good chemistry but also an antagonistic personality to anybody that wasn't a part of Clipper nation and too much of a homer.

They chose not to renew his contract, and I *assume* it may have had to do with some legal issues he had previously though of course nothing was ever mentioned about that in their statements at the time (just seems like Ballmer's been trying to clean up any off-court mess).

I’m pretty sure he had flaws but can’t be worse then Stu Lantz hyping up other players.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I’m pretty sure he had flaws but can’t be worse then Stu Lantz hyping up other players.

"Settle down Inspector Gadget,"
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Bruce strikes me as kind of a douche cake
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I don’t even remember listening to him. Shows how many Clipper games I watched last season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

Bowen was a dirty player and is a bad announcer to boot.

I have no idea why they hired a *pur in the first place.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I thought Smith was let go due to that major legal issue he was battling at the time (he was acquitted)

I should also add I celebrated when he was no longer on the broadcast. I disdained hearing him and I stopped watching Clips local broadcasts because of him.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/08/17/bruce-bowen-after-kawhi-leonard-related-ouster-if-clippers-cant-attract-free-agents-to-l-a-thats-on-them-not-me/

Quote:
Bruce Bowen after Kawhi Leonard-related ouster: If Clippers can’t attract free agents to L.A., that’s on them, not me

The Clippers ousted Bruce Bowen as TV analyst after he ripped Kawhi Leonard, a Clippers target in 2019 free agency.

The Dan Patrick Show:

Dan Patrick Show

@dpshow
Bruce Bowen: #Clippers fired me because of my Kawhi Leonard comments

12:49 PM - Aug 16, 2018
20 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Bowen:

Oh yeah, it was, well, basically, “We don’t view your views that way and because of your comments of Kawhi Leonard, we are choosing to go a separate way.”

One thing that I’ve thought about in all of this is that Kawhi never said, “I want to play for the Clippers.” Kawhi said he wanted to play for the Lakers. And so unfortunately, if you’re going to run your organization based on hopes, maybe, and getting rid of others – now, again, if I tore him down and I was disrespectful to him, that’s one thing. But that’s not the case. As an analyst, I’m supposed to talk about what I see and what I feel for this game that I love. And so, if you can’t do that, what does that say about your organization?

I don’t think I’m that powerful, where I would be the reason why someone would not want to go to a team. What are you doing? Are you playing, or are you listening? And if you are listening, then listen to the words that are said and receive the constructive criticism. Because that’s my job, to be critical of someone’s play. Now, if I’m just tearing a player down, that’s one thing. But I don’t think I’m big enough that someone would say, “You know what? I’m not going there, because Bruce Bowen is there, and he’s on the mic. I’m not going to deal with that.”

If you can’t get free agents in California – in Los Angeles, that is – that has nothing to do with Bruce Bowen. That has more to do with the organization.

It’s unclear whether Leonard prefers the Lakers or Clippers. I wouldn’t take Bowen’s telling as gospel on that.

It’s also worth revisiting exactly what Bowen said about Leonard:

“First, it was, ‘Well I was misdiagnosed.’ Look here: You got $18 million this year, and you think that they’re trying to rush you? You didn’t play for the most part a full season this year. And you’re the go-to guy, you’re the franchise and you want to say that they didn’t have your best interest at heart? Are you kidding me?…

“I think he’s getting bad advice,” Bowen said. “I think what you’re starting to see now is an individual given a certain amount of advice, and it’s not the right advice. Here it is: You were protected in San Antonio. You were able to come up during a time where you still could lean on Tim [Duncan] Tony [Parker] and Manu [Ginobili]…

“As a player, if I’m a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I’m with my guys,” he said. “Because that’s what it’s all about. It’s about camaraderie. It’s about fellowship. It’s a brotherhood. When that didn’t happen, it’s all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, ‘Is this person fully vested?’ … I don’t want to take on a player who’s not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him.”

Despite his latest spin, Bowen didn’t simply critique Leonard’s play. Bowen ripped Leonard’s leadership and, more troublingly, implied Leonard wasn’t as hurt as the star forward claimed.

Bowen’s TV work was intertwined with the Clippers, an organization trying to win. Nobody should have ever viewed Bowen as an objective journalist. His job was, in part, to help the Clippers promote their product. That can, at times, include criticism of players. It’s just basketball. Critiques help fans understand the game and engage.

But this went beyond that, and I have a hard time siding with someone who suggested Leonard embellished his injury. We’re not in his mind or body. We can’t know he feels. Maybe Leonard was malingering, but I don’t see a better method than just giving him the benefit on the doubt.

Bowen is right: We shouldn’t overstate his importance to free agents. But this was also an opportunity for the Clippers to signal how well they look after players. Maybe Leonard will appreciate that. Maybe he won’t. It’s tough to get a read on the quiet Leonard. But he’s potentially so valuable, I understand trying to preemptively appease him.

Considering Bowen’s status as a Clippers-adjacent employee and what he actually said, ousting him looks fairly reasonable.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

As a die-hard Clipper hater, I love the Bowen comments.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: