Official 2019 NBA Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 137, 138, 139  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Oh noooooo. Grant Williams is WAY more skilled with the mid-range game and pivot work. I remember Jarnell, but Stokes was foul prone and his game was predicated around rebounding like Danny Fortson.

Grant Williams
Mark Aguirre
Adrian Dantley
Corliss Williamson
Danny Fortson
Jarnell Stokes


For me Williams is a clear level or 2 behind Aguirre and Dantley. Maybe closer to Williamson but he never amounted to much in the NBA (injuries?). I watched Stokes dominate in the paint in the G league but this did not translate to the NBA due to size and athleticism issues. Williams is too small for PF and lacks skills/athleticism for SF. In essence his game will not translate to the NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Oh noooooo. Grant Williams is WAY more skilled with the mid-range game and pivot work. I remember Jarnell, but Stokes was foul prone and his game was predicated around rebounding like Danny Fortson.

Grant Williams
Mark Aguirre
Adrian Dantley
Corliss Williamson
Danny Fortson
Jarnell Stokes


For me Williams is a clear level or 2 behind Aguirre and Dantley. Maybe closer to Williamson but he never amounted to much in the NBA (injuries?). I watched Stokes dominate in the paint in the G league but this did not translate to the NBA due to size and athleticism issues. Williams is too small for PF and lacks skills/athleticism for SF. In essence his game will not translate to the NBA.


It occured to me to think of Williams more along the lines of Millsap.

Everyone knows Millsap now as the superskilled former All-Star, but don't remember his early NBA start.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Oh noooooo. Grant Williams is WAY more skilled with the mid-range game and pivot work. I remember Jarnell, but Stokes was foul prone and his game was predicated around rebounding like Danny Fortson.

Grant Williams
Mark Aguirre
Adrian Dantley
Corliss Williamson
Danny Fortson
Jarnell Stokes


For me Williams is a clear level or 2 behind Aguirre and Dantley. Maybe closer to Williamson but he never amounted to much in the NBA (injuries?). I watched Stokes dominate in the paint in the G league but this did not translate to the NBA due to size and athleticism issues. Williams is too small for PF and lacks skills/athleticism for SF. In essence his game will not translate to the NBA.


It occured to me to think of Williams more along the lines of Millsap.

Everyone knows Millsap now as the superskilled former All-Star, but don't remember his early NBA start.


I watched Milsap a decent amount in college as he played against my alma marter who were in the same conference. He was a very good athlete with much more explosiveness than Williams. Was more an inside player who dominated on the boards but transformed his skills once in the NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I watched Milsap a decent amount in college as he played against my alma marter who were in the same conference. He was a very good athlete with much more explosiveness than Williams. Was more an inside player who dominated on the boards but transformed his skills once in the NBA.


I think that's kind of my point.

He's not exactly dominating with athleticism now.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 31601
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

the reason I appreciate the Kemp comp for Zion is more about raw ability. Kemp was a very large guy....a very strong guy....and he could get up with anyone. I recall some similar things said about a young Shawn Kemp as it relates to outlier size and athleticism that I am hearing about Zion....and I get Kemp was smaller than Zion is now, but in many ways Kemp was a similar outlier at the time in size, strength and athleticism.

Of course Zion is more skilled than Kemp was at a similar age, but that is much about the era. Kemp was likely playing pickup games on blacktop in the summer, not traveling around the country playing with and against other elite talent while getting specialized training/coaching. I think if Kemp would have remained on the intended track of playing at Kentucky for a couple years, he enters the league a little more polished.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 31601
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I saw Killian Tillie's injury will likely end his season at Gonzaga which makes me wonder if he will declare this summer or return to college. He would have been a lock to get drafted last summer, but he has barely played this season because of injuries.....not sure how the NBA views him currently.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Where is the PG from Marquette expected to go? He is 5'11" or 5'10" but can score from all spots on the floor 9n college and has a nice step back Harden move.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I saw Killian Tillie's injury will likely end his season at Gonzaga which makes me wonder if he will declare this summer or return to college. He would have been a lock to get drafted last summer, but he has barely played this season because of injuries.....not sure how the NBA views him currently.


Unfortunate for him. He has a place in the NBA. Given this draft lack of depth if he declares he would be a nice fit on the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Where is the PG from Marquette expected to go? He is 5'11" or 5'10" but can score from all spots on the floor 9n college and has a nice step back Harden move.


2nd round to undrafted.

Hope he turns out like Dana Barros.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I watched Milsap a decent amount in college as he played against my alma marter who were in the same conference. He was a very good athlete with much more explosiveness than Williams. Was more an inside player who dominated on the boards but transformed his skills once in the NBA.


I think that's kind of my point.

He's not exactly dominating with athleticism now.


I understand your point but how many years did it take for Millsap to lose his athleticism and now rely on experience? Williams is already working at a deficit in regard to size/length/athleticism at a similar age and he will not be able to count on experience to help offset this for quite a few years and that's if he does make it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Where is the PG from Marquette expected to go? He is 5'11" or 5'10" but can score from all spots on the floor 9n college and has a nice step back Harden move.


2nd round to undrafted.

Hope he turns out like Dana Barros.


Thanks Mike. Would love to grab him with a 2nd round pick if we have one. Instant offense off the bench. Turnover prone though and his handle is suspect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I watched Milsap a decent amount in college as he played against my alma marter who were in the same conference. He was a very good athlete with much more explosiveness than Williams. Was more an inside player who dominated on the boards but transformed his skills once in the NBA.


I think that's kind of my point.

He's not exactly dominating with athleticism now.


I understand your point but how many years did it take for Millsap to lose his athleticism and now rely on experience? Williams is already working at a deficit in regard to size/length/athleticism at a similar age and he will not be able to count on experience to help offset this for quite a few years and that's if he does make it.


Almost his entire career? I never thought of him as a guy that dominated with athleticism outside of motor and strength.

I'm not saying Grant Williams is Paul Millsap, but he's along the lines of those kinds of 4s; big guys, good athletes, varying abilities, not always the clearest positions.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Where is the PG from Marquette expected to go? He is 5'11" or 5'10" but can score from all spots on the floor 9n college and has a nice step back Harden move.


2nd round to undrafted.

Hope he turns out like Dana Barros.


Thanks Mike. Would love to grab him with a 2nd round pick if we have one. Instant offense off the bench. Turnover prone though and his handle is suspect


I understand the interest. I just think shooters aren't immediate impact players, kind of like PnR bigs that get drafted.

There are so many guys that I like from #15 to #40 and he doesn't make the list.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Where is the PG from Marquette expected to go? He is 5'11" or 5'10" but can score from all spots on the floor 9n college and has a nice step back Harden move.


2nd round to undrafted.

Hope he turns out like Dana Barros.


Thanks Mike. Would love to grab him with a 2nd round pick if we have one. Instant offense off the bench. Turnover prone though and his handle is suspect


I understand the interest. I just think shooters aren't immediate impact players, kind of like PnR bigs that get drafted.

There are so many guys that I like from #15 to #40 and he doesn't make the list.


Thanks. Do you do a top 60 list or anything?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 7959

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Guys who is the best guy at 12-14?

I think that's where we will be picking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Do you do a top 60 list or anything?


No. I'm too tied with work.

My signature covers most of those guys. A lot of them are flying up draft charts. Culver jumped to Top 5.

I'll rank prior to the draft for sure like previous years.

Quote:
Guys who is the best guy at 12-14?


It's so wildly unpredictable. Draft Twitter vs All other draft sites almost have no general consensus outside of Zion.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 31601
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I saw Killian Tillie's injury will likely end his season at Gonzaga which makes me wonder if he will declare this summer or return to college. He would have been a lock to get drafted last summer, but he has barely played this season because of injuries.....not sure how the NBA views him currently.


Unfortunate for him. He has a place in the NBA. Given this draft lack of depth if he declares he would be a nice fit on the Lakers.


there was a time when I was a "return to college" guy. Thought guys should take advantage of their 1 chance to play major college ball and improve their game....but no more. If you think you will get drafted in the 1st Round....go...lock in that money even if it is just a couple million per year for a few years because it is too risky to return to college and get injured. Even if you do not have a long NBA career.....starting life with a few million dollars in the bank will still require you to get a real job, but it is a very good start in life.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

going by tankathon, rough general order:

Jontay Porter
Brandon Clarke
NAW
Grant Williams
Tre Jones
Coby White
Tyrese Haliburton
KZ Okpala (still trying to get a better feel for his game)
Jordan Poole
Matisse Thybulle
Cam Johnson
Bruno Fernando
Daniel Gafford
Charles Matthews
Ty Jerome
Jalen McDaniels
Iggy Brazdeikis
Shamorie Ponds
PJ Washington
Eric Paschall
Zach Norvell Jr
Kyle Guy
Jon Teske
Carsen Edwards
Kerwin Roach
Miye Oni
Cassius Winston
Jalen Hudson
Markus Howard
Marial Shayok
Weiler-Babb
Lindell Wiggington

This roughly covers from #14 to #45, and it's incomplete.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/


Last edited by Mike@LG on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Would be happy if we ended up with Ponds or PJ Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Would be happy if we ended up with Ponds or PJ Washington


And if the Lakers were picking in the teens, I'd be upset.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Who do you want in the teens?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 31601
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:


Quote:
Guys who is the best guy at 12-14?


It's so wildly unpredictable. Draft Twitter vs All other draft sites almost have no general consensus outside of Zion.


if Tankathon Mock is even remotely close to accurate....I would probably be looking to trade down unless someone we liked in the lottery slipped. I see guys like Carson Edwards and Jalen McDaniels hanging out in the middle of the 2nd Round....I would be perfectly fine scooping them up. I am just not impressed once their mock gets to the back half of the lottery.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 61028
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Who do you want in the teens?


1. A trade down. It's too many guys in the same relative tier of talent.

2. PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:27 pm Post subject:
going by tankathon, rough general order:

Jontay Porter
Brandon Clarke
NAW
Grant Williams
Tre Jones
Tyrese Haliburton
KZ Okpala (still trying to get a better feel for his game)
Jordan Poole
Matisse Thybulle
Bruno Fernando
Daniel Gafford
Charles Matthews
Ty Jerome
Jalen McDaniels

These are the only guys I can actually justify in that mid teens pick. But I would also expect none of them to contribute immediately, especially one of my favorites in Haliburton.

I think Clarke, NAW, Grant Williams would be the closest to contributing early. Bruno would be foul prone and show flashes. Charles Matthews I like too much. Ty Jerome I need more clarity on his measurements, because there's a big difference in seeing him as Joe Ingles. Jalen McDaniels would be undersized and skinny like Ingram but WAY more motor. Jontay, Brandon Clarke, Tre Jones all have the highest hoop IQ of the group.
_________________
Resident Car Nut. Build around Brandon Ingram
Zion/Barrett/Garland/Morant/Culver/Hunter/KPJ/Hayes/Reddish/PJ/White/NAW/THT/Bitadze/Clarke/Okpala/Fernando http://bball-index.com/team/lal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I like Matthews from Michigan a lot to Mike. Just didn't know where he was projected to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 18266

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Klutch Sports Group wrote:
Would be happy if we ended up with Ponds or PJ Washington


And if the Lakers were picking in the teens, I'd be upset.


What if they were the 9th seed and somehow landed the Number 1 pick on a 1% chance?
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 137, 138, 139  Next
Page 28 of 139
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB