Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I'll dedicate time to more thorough write-ups on these guys closer to the draft, but here are my "disappointing 2018 class wing rankings:"

I haven't watched enough of these guys to agree or disagree... but that post was a fun read. Props!
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

So you have a degree of technical expertise that helps you understand what EVH is doing and why it sounds better than other guitarists? You've put in the work learning music, listening to music, and practicing three instruments over several years so given some money and time you could provide me in written form an informed opinion about the style and quality of his guitar playing - basically, an article about how you've concluded that EVH is an incredible guitar player.

Nope I'm not a music major so I don't have the terminology to write an article or dissertation on why EVH is an incredible guitar player... nor could I write one about Jimi Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughan. I couldn't write you one either about why Gale Sayers or Barry Sanders were transcendent running backs.

But I can tell you I have a visceral, instinctive reaction to these artists or athletes just like Magic Johnson that I didn't need a journalist to explain why it was good to me.

They might have helped me understand why I reacted in the way I did, but I didn't need someone to explain it to me.

Why do human drummers exist when there are drum machines?

They keep perfect time. Sometimes it's the intangibles which can't easily be explained where human instinct prevails.

Not saying artificial intelligence won't eventually surpass humanity as a superior iteration of evolution... but we haven't reached there yet.

If you've found that website, please point me the way.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

So you have a degree of technical expertise that helps you understand what EVH is doing and why it sounds better than other guitarists? You've put in the work learning music, listening to music, and practicing three instruments over several years so given some money and time you could provide me in written form an informed opinion about the style and quality of his guitar playing - basically, an article about how you've concluded that EVH is an incredible guitar player.

Nope I'm not a music major so I don't have the terminology to write an article or dissertation on why EVH is an incredible guitar player... nor could I write one about Jimi Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughan. I couldn't write you one either about why Gale Sayers or Barry Sanders were transcendent running backs.

But I can tell you I have a visceral, instinctive reaction to these artists or athletes just like Magic Johnson that I didn't need a journalist to explain why it was good to me.

They might have helped me understand why I reacted in the way I did, but I didn't need someone to explain it to me.

They keep perfect time. Sometimes it's the intangibles which can't easily be explained where human instinct prevails.

Not saying artificial intelligence won't eventually surpass humanity as a superior iteration of evolution... but we haven't reached there yet.

You guys are cracking me up man.
I came to this last page and read this, and I'm like WTF are these guys talking about?
Then I read back a few pages.
Pretty funny!

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

EVH with the 4th pick is definitely a gamble guys.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

EVH has small hands...he can tap like hell, but palming the ball would be a problem...
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Garland or Hunter seems to be the smart choices.
They both can shoot which is a MUST.
Hunter plays better defense but Garland may turn out to be an ELITE shooter.

Would bring them in for look.
Elite shooters can bring the Lakers back.

I'm no sort of player scout. But, these 2 are the ones I'm most interested in from what I've been able to learn about the favorite prospects at the 4th pick.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

From what I understand, he has the potential to be a real game changer...
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

These draft experts would have never selected EVH because of small hands nor Django Reinhardt because he burned two of his fingers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Draft cannot get here soon enough.

When can you start scheduling guys for workouts?
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Next week for the Lakers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
epak wrote:

Next week for the Lakers.

Gracias
PassTheBooze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

More I see, the more we should just take Hunter. A lot of people are scared of what his ceiling is but this draft in general is just really weak. Hunter has the highest floor and will produce from day 1. Also gives us flexibility with the small ball lineup as he can D up SG-PF and space the floor offensively. Very fundamentally sound player.

I like Culver but I have some serious concerns with that shot, he's got a very subtle hitch at the top of his jumper and is going to be a work in progress. I don't think he'll be a consistent shooter at the next level.

Garland I can't say much. He looks good on paper but its like a 5 game sample size, cant do much with that.

Reddish I already let it be known that i'm not a fan of him... at all.

White - Combo guard with suspect handles. Very loose with the ball and he's all straight line speed. Don't see any shiftiness or change of pace in his game. I see a 6th man role for him in the future. He's an open court type of PG who imo will struggle in the half court. Clarkson is a good comparison. Just always seems so sped up and out of control.

Nassir Little... don't make me laugh. I do not understand the hype with him. at all. 0 awareness and IQ on both ends of the floor and is just too raw, he should have stayed another year. For someone who was supposed to be a good defender, he really wasn't. Fine one on one defender but because of his lack of awareness he was just awful in terms of help defense, etc.
PHILosopher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/04/05/projecting-jarrett-culver/

Pretty interesting read on the projection of Jarret Culver. I do wonder how he would fit in offensively with ball-dominant players like Bron and Ingram.

This article really helped me understand his appeal. What I see as a kind of herky jerky style and awkward foot work is actually one of his good traits. But that 3 point % is so low.

If this is any indication, perhaps he's better than the numbers say.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/2019/05/lakers-draft-target-jarrett-culver-workout-video/amp/
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
I am fine with Garland. I think he is a CJ McCollum at worse

Mo Williams is a good, realistic, achievable comp.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
So basically Darius Garland and Cam Reddish are polished offensive players, reach for the sky type picks. Whereas Hunter and Culver are more blue collar and safer bet to contribute immediately?

Another reach for the sky name is Sekou Doumbouya.

No. Garland is an NBA level shooter, risky pick. Great ancillary skills.

Reddish is, a HS level shooter, NCAA/NBA defender, NCAA playmaker.

Hunter, is a lower ceiling, high floor 4.

Culver, is a slightly higher ceiling, high floor 3, stuck in a 2 body with 3 athl.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
.499 TS% for Cam? Woof.

Is there any good NBA player that scored that inefficiently his freshman year?

Incredibly hard to find. I remember someone posted it on twitter, and they had very short NBA careers.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

See, I was offering you money and you turned down an opportunity to study more about music and music theory. That's disappointing, but I don't know your life.

Your argument seems to boil down to "I know it when I see it" while projecting that same blithe attitude onto Jerry West as if he's as incurious and lazy about his profession as you are about your hobby.

Just say you didn't read the article next time.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Would appreciate anyone helping me out with this:

Which potential top 10 talent has the best bball IQ?
Which potential top 10 talent has the best bball instincts?

How do you define each?

Instincts - Zion
IQ - Clarke

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

See, I was offering you money and you turned down an opportunity to study more about music and music theory. That's disappointing, but I don't know your life.

Your argument seems to boil down to "I know it when I see it" while projecting that same blithe attitude onto Jerry West as if he's as incurious and lazy about his profession as you are about your hobby.

I read the article and thought it made sense.

Watch the first episode of Kieslowski's Decalogue to maybe understand what my point is though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
PassTheBooze wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
My top 3 right now are Garland, Culiver, Reddish.. I simply can’t take hunter I know his floor is high but with his age and his upside being a high end role player . I just wanna shoot for a higher ceiling at #4.

Hunter has a higher ceiling than Reddish. Reddish is Wiggins 2.0 - easy pass for me.

I agree Hunter might be the better player now but what you see is what you get there there imo. I’ll take my chances with the 19 year old kid who is still growing and developing and has shown traits to score from anywhere . Yeah he might not consistent but he has some very nice traits I could see him becoming very good player . As he grows into his body and gets nba training and development ..

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I'm intrigued by Sekou. If the Lakers trade down to say the Hawks, I wonder if they can get him and Clarke.

I'm intrigued by Sekou too, that's a good choice of wording, lol. If we go that route though, I'd prefer we take a lil more variety since Sekou and Clarke are both PFs. Assuming Garland, Reddish and White are off the board by #8... perhaps, a combo of:

One of Hunter/Culver/Hayes/Goga/KPJ + Sekou

I'd take Sekou first so we don't lose him at #9.

Kevin Porter Jr.

And

Brandon Clarke, Goga Bitadze, Jaxson Hayes, PJ Washington

On repeat.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
So basically Darius Garland and Cam Reddish are polished offensive players, reach for the sky type picks. Whereas Hunter and Culver are more blue collar and safer bet to contribute immediately?

Another reach for the sky name is Sekou Doumbouya.

No. Garland is an NBA level shooter, risky pick. Great ancillary skills.

Reddish is, a HS level shooter, NCAA/NBA defender, NCAA playmaker.

Hunter, is a lower ceiling, high floor 4.

Culver, is a slightly higher ceiling, high floor 3, stuck in a 2 body with 3 athl.

You're making Culver sound like Jimmy Butler.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
I don't get the love for old man Hunter! I would pick Rui over Hunter

So, you don't like the guy that can defend, vs. the guy that can't?

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I read the article and thought it made sense.

Watch the first episode of Kieslowski's Decalogue to maybe understand what my point is though.

I will if you watch Berlin Alexanderplantz Part 8 to understand my point.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
If Lebron can't get Cam reddish to increase his motor, who can?

Motor is an individual thing.

But a guy that has NBA PF length, that coordinated, and finishes 51.4% at the rim, is just one of the bad indicators.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 303 of 441
Jump to: