Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
I cant believe people are talking about taking Cam Reddish at #4 after the college season he had

http://cbbref.com/tiny/DtbiD

Here is a list of every college player in the last 25 years to take around the same number of FGA as him and shot as badly as he did. I'm barely seeing anyone who made the NBA, let alone guys who were any good

there is a flaw in your query.....if you are going apples to apples, only the Freshman would matter. Everyone of those Freshman were guards.....assuming none were 6'8" with the overall build and skill set of Cam. I see one name on the list is Jonathan Hargett (was 5'10")....who was a Top 15 recruit that went to WVU for only that season....was always in trouble, got removed from the team, then did a long stretch in prison. That is one down, but I assume the other 15 are very different than Cam also, which is why these type of lists mean very little when evaluating one single player.

"See, all of the freshmen on the list who were as bad offensively as Cam were at an even greater physical disadvantage than he was."
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
After seeing some #analytics and tweets from college expert Lakers twitter, I have cooled on Reddish. Can’t afford a Wesley Johnson type bust of a pick. Too risky.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/wes-johnson-1.html

Damn, Wesley Johnson was a beast in his last year in college. 41% from 3, 1.7 steals, 1.8 blocks. He'd probably go #2 in this draft.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Hunter is the safe pick at 4. Seems like a Vogel player. But if we gamble, I can’t hate. To me we really should be picking 11th. Hell if they go Nacho Grande Tacko Tuesday’s, I’m not gonna flip the table over and be salty. It’s a win regardless. But Hunter would be a nice even keel mentally mature player.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/1131368592732065793?s=20 described an issue with Reddish's form here. It's always looked smooth and everyone knew he'd be a workout warrior
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
I cant believe people are talking about taking Cam Reddish at #4 after the college season he had

Here is a list of every college player in the last 25 years to take around the same number of FGA as him and shot as badly as he did. I'm barely seeing anyone who made the NBA, let alone guys who were any good

there is a flaw in your query.....if you are going apples to apples, only the Freshman would matter. Everyone of those Freshman were guards.....assuming none were 6'8" with the overall build and skill set of Cam. I see one name on the list is Jonathan Hargett (was 5'10")....who was a Top 15 recruit that went to WVU for only that season....was always in trouble, got removed from the team, then did a long stretch in prison. That is one down, but I assume the other 15 are very different than Cam also, which is why these type of lists mean very little when evaluating one single player.

"See, all of the freshmen on the list who were as bad offensively as Cam were at an even greater physical disadvantage than he was."

Yeah, doesn't it make his case much worse, to find that the only other freshmen that had as bad a season as he did (shooting it), were effectively dwarfs?

So then he's the ONLY freshman player with a prototypical NBA wing body to shoot it as bad as he did last year.

What's historic of historic?

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
After seeing some #analytics and tweets from college expert Lakers twitter, I have cooled on Reddish. Can’t afford a Wesley Johnson type bust of a pick. Too risky.

who is that?

Bunch of them backing up with analytics. Reddish has some red flags and the biggest one to me is his shooting % on contested 3s. I think it was like 20%.

I will try to dig up some of the numbers I saw.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

The God Particle wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Quote:

@Mike_Schmitz

Cam Reddish clearly the most naturally gifted player to take the floor today. Tantalizing at 6-8 with a smooth jumper. Shoots such an easy ball.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1131292157535432704?s=09

Looks like he can dribble and shoot to me. Better shot than Culver and Hunter for sure.

I don't think anyone has said he can't dribble (with the exception of BVH lol).

I think he can dribble, I just wouldn't want him to try it for more than a second or two against set NBA defenses if he were on my team.

I retract my statement all. BVH doesn't think Reddish can't dribble.

He's the man handling the rock at half-court*

*and nowhere else
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
adkindo wrote:
10scott10 wrote:

Yeah, doesn't it make his case much worse, to find that the only other freshmen that had as bad a season as he did (shooting it), were effectively dwarfs?

So then he's the ONLY freshman player with a prototypical NBA wing body to shoot it as bad as he did last year.

What's historic of historic?

💯
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The people who live and die by analytics are just as annoying as the old school, eye test only people. Idk why it’s so hard to use them both as resources.

https://twitter.com/mergechristian/status/1131350304769789953?s=21

#Analytics AND #Eyetest!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

who is that?

Bunch of them backing up with analytics. Reddish has some red flags and the biggest one to me is his shooting % on contested 3s. I think it was like 20%.

Here's one:
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1131295202445004802

Tbh, 39% on unguarded 3s at the college level for a guy who needs to shoot to be playable is almost as concerning.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/1131368592732065793?s=20 described an issue with Reddish's form here. It's always looked smooth and everyone knew he'd be a workout warrior

come on KIROE, do not do that.....this is NBA Draft Twitter minion code for "this is how we hedge our narrative when this guy blows everyone away in workouts to prevent the narrative from changing". I never heard "workout beast" associated with Reddish until a couple weeks ago when people started identifying all the positive attributes he has as an athletic player.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

who is that?

Here's one:

Tbh, 39% on unguarded 3s at the college level for a guy who needs to shoot to be playable is almost as concerning.

Wasserman is a Knicks fan....I was asking who was considered "tweets from college expert Lakers twitter"?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

who is that?

Here's one:

Wasserman is a Knicks fan....I was asking who was considered "tweets from college expert Lakers twitter"?

I assume Mike -at- LG and Ben Rosales.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

who is that?

Here's one:

I assume Mike [AT] LG and Ben Rosales.

I consider both to have valuable insight....but would not be changing my opinion to align with either.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

come on KIROE, do not do that.....this is NBA Draft Twitter minion code for "this is how we hedge our narrative when this guy blows everyone away in workouts to prevent the narrative from changing". I never heard "workout beast" associated with Reddish until a couple weeks ago when people started identifying all the positive attributes he has as an athletic player.

"workout warriors" is a common thing every year in the draft. "oh he'll look great in a workout"... plenty of players do every year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Get a future pick swap from Chicago to move back to #7 and take Goga. @YaBoyPelinka
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

"workout warriors" is a common thing every year in the draft. "oh he'll look great in a workout"... plenty of players do every year.

as I said....associated with Reddish. None of those guys that have hated on Reddish all season were tagging him with "workout warrior or beast" in March. I have heard that associated with Ja Morant, Nassir Little and Brandon Clarke all season.....but is suddenly was associated with Reddish when some intelligent people begin to push back on the narrative.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

So is everyone leaning toward Cam with the 4th pick?
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Garland is clearly the guy most likely to contribute right away (shooting) and reach his upside. I like culver too, but his immediate impact and odds he reaches his potential are lower.

Always take the higher skill guy. Skill wins games in the nba. Size is just an added bonus.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

EVERY player does each year (well, maybe not Zo in his first work out with us lol)

It's a non contact choreographed routine they've been practicing all off-season. If they DON'T look like workout warriors,that's a red flag.

Heck, give me some time with that same routine, and even I'd be looking like Justin Timberlake in Nsync just like all prospects.

Last edited by The God Particle on Wed May 22, 2019 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

as I said....associated with Reddish. None of those guys that have hated on Reddish all season were tagging him with "workout warrior or beast" in March. I have heard that associated with Ja Morant, Nassir Little and Brandon Clarke all season.....but is suddenly was associated with Reddish when some intelligent people begin to push back on the narrative.

With people who I associate with or follow it was always a thing for him. If it was a thing for Nasir Little.. it could certainly be a thing for Reddish.... Reddish isn't looked at by some as an above average athlete but I always thought he was.. and he's a good practice shooter I guess, and a solid smooth ball handler. A lot of people were saying he's gunna look great in workouts, for sure
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

not sure if anyone has Cam as their top choice
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

With people who I associate with or follow it was always a thing for him. If it was a thing for Nasir Little.. it could certainly be a thing for Reddish.... Reddish isn't looked at by some as an above average athlete but I always thought he was.. and he's a good practice shooter I guess, and a solid smooth ball handler. A lot of people were saying he's gunna look great in workouts, for sure

If you look at his AAU and high school numbers, they suggest he is more than a good practice shooter. That said, do you have a theory on why he has never finished well? I read scouting reports before Duke that mentioned his lack of efficiency finishing, but never detail why.....then most of the video from that time is more highlight driven. In some video at Duke, I noticed he could really explode when nobody was around, but showed very little explosion around the rim when there were bodies around. Is that just mental?

Last edited by adkindo on Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

If you look at his AAU and high school numbers, they suggest he is more than a good practice shooter. That said, do you have a theory on why he has never finished well? I read scouting reports before Duke that mentioned his lack of efficiency finishing, but never detail why.....then most of the video from that time is more highlight driven.

He shot 33% from 3 in AAU.. And he has a 6 game HS sample on record which is good (from the HS line)
And no i haven't looked at his finishing enough...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 295 of 441
Jump to: