Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Do you have any other candidates for that strategy besides Grimes?

If picks #50 - #60 are selling for reasonable prices, buy one to make sure of gaining control of Grimes (or similar) or just wait it out and expect to be able to get the player(s) wanted as undrafted free agents?

I am not seeing Javonte Smart, the LSU Freshman appearing in mocks, and he has made it clear he is not returning to LSU. I will need to see the final list of who stays after the combine, but some guys that I think are really talented, have declared, and are not getting mocked...Andrew Nehmbard (Florida), Reggie Perry (Miss. State), EJ Montgomery (Kentucky)....but they have not declared the will for sure remain in draft.

For an international - Dino Radoncic.

Moses Brown....the 7'1" Freshman UCLA Center declared and claims he will remain in draft....he was not good this year, so not sure if someone will draft him.

UCLA?!?! 3/4 of LG has already locked in the pick! šŸ¤£
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

If picks #50 - #60 are selling for reasonable prices, buy one to make sure of gaining control of Grimes (or similar) or just wait it out and expect to be able to get the player(s) wanted as undrafted free agents?

I am not seeing Javonte Smart, the LSU Freshman appearing in mocks, and he has made it clear he is not returning to LSU. I will need to see the final list of who stays after the combine, but some guys that I think are really talented, have declared, and are not getting mocked...Andrew Nehmbard (Florida), Reggie Perry (Miss. State), EJ Montgomery (Kentucky)....but they have not declared the will for sure remain in draft.

Moses Brown....the 7'1" Freshman UCLA Center declared and claims he will remain in draft....he was not good this year, so not sure if someone will draft him.

Doubt it. Just because he came out of that fantastic school, doesn't mean he's a good pick.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

He is nowhere near ready for the NBA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

right, the original discussion was focused on trying to grab 1 or 2 of these Freshman that are leaving and not ready to the point they may not get drafted.....putting them on 2 ways to see if they develop.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

right, the original discussion was focused on trying to grab 1 or 2 of these Freshman that are leaving and not ready to the point they may not get drafted.....putting them on 2 ways to see if they develop.

Would we do that when we already have Bonga who's on that trek?
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

honestly what i see us doing in the draft. with us having an already young team and def in win now mode. I see us rather trading back to with a team like the Nets at 19 and 31 or 27, 31 and a future protected 1st. Theyre still kinda rebuilding and with them maybe not getting a FA they may try with a pick to build with Russell, Allen, Harris, and Lavert and try for a guy like HUnter, HAchimura as they are really the only decent PF prospects.

Its rather traded for Davis or to move back and get a future pick.

a trade id like would be 11 to the Cavs for Osman, pick 26, and a protected 1st. OSman is buddies with LEbron and brings shooting. Hes on his last year tho but with his rights we could match an offer if he fits. But i expect him to ball out on his final year and become one of the most improved type players. He could fit really well with the lakers
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject:

Brandon Clarke to inject that Clippers effort, Iā€™m w it.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Isn't Bonga already on a regular NBA contract?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I'm referring to the idea of drafting a player who can contribute now versus a player purely on untapped potential.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I'm referring to the idea of drafting a player who can contribute now versus a player purely on untapped potential.

I was in the discussion about this late Tuesday night.

Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I think by the end of this week, Twitter will start exploding with Combine invitations. Based on previous years, the invitations to about 60ish players will be sent this week, and received later this week and early next week. The NBA Combine begins May 15th.

Seeing a somewhat sad trend of underclassmen not only declaring, but making it clear they will remain in the draft.....and many of those guys clearly do not appear ready. I think much of it is being driven by the FBI scandal and the expected followup from the NCAA. There has been speculation that the reason so many of LSU's underclassmen are declaring even though they are not even appearing in mock drafts is to avoid having to cooperate with the NCAA investigation. Guys like Quentin Grimes of Kansas declaring and making it clear he will not return to school simply does not make sense on the surface after a terrible Freshman season, but again his name has been mentioned in the FBI testimony at an earlier trial.

I mostly point this out because I think there could be a golden opportunity to grab one or two of these guys if they go undrafted and put them on 2 ways. The trick will be identifying the ones that have the tools to actually develop into an NBA player.....and the ones that were not successful in college simply because they were not talented enough. For example, a guy like Quentin Grimes was all over preseason mock drafts....often a fringe lottery selection, then he fell off after not having success at Kansas as a Freshman. The kid is still 18 years old.

Are you expecting teams to draft the more established but lower ceiling prospects in the second round and leave the less established but higher ceiling prospects floating around undrafted?

I really do not know. This draft is confusing me, or the current projections/mocks. For example, I am seeing one of my favorite WVU players Sagaba Konate appear in mocks again....even climbing in some. This is a guy that got an evaluation from the committee a year ago of mid 2nd Round to undrafted.....played 8 games this season, and has not played since December because of a lingering knee injury, and is a 6'7"ish guy that can only play the 5. None of that makes sense to me. I brought up Grimes because I do not see him showing up in any mocks, but I do think he may have fringe lottery level talent upside.....already has a NBA body, and is 18 years old. If he truly goes undrafted, he is the idea type of guy I think the 2 way contracts were made for.....just not high on 23 and 24 year olds on 2 way deals going forward.

If I had to guess, I think teams will still value upside more than anything, especially early in the 1st Round. It just comes down to the pay scale. It is a better bet to take a swing on the upside because you are going to be paying the player a decent sum of money. If they are a bust, you can cut bait after two years. It is just not as appealing in my opinion to take a player that is 9th or 10th in the rotation in year 2 and are probably worth picking up their extension, but there is not much value there.

Currently, the lottery pick is the only 2019 pick that the Lakers have.

Quote:

2019 second round draft pick to Atlanta
L.A. Lakers' 2019 2nd round pick to Atlanta (via Indiana to Cleveland) [Indiana-L.A. Lakers, 7/9/2015; Cleveland-Indiana, 7/23/2015; Atlanta-Cleveland, 10/14/2017]

2021 second round draft pick to Detroit
L.A. Lakers' 2021 2nd round pick to Detroit [Detroit-L.A. Lakers, 2/6/2019]

An outright cash purchase of a second round pick in the #31 - #40 range might not be possible and they could be reluctant to trade away another second round pick. No idea if picks in the #41 - #49 range will be available for a straight cash purchase, so I went with the idea that a late second round pick would be available for purchase.

adkindo proposed that the FO should aggressively pursue undrafted young prospects with upside that should have stayed in school for another season of college ball. With this draft considered to be relatively weak, pursuing young players with late second round picks or undrafted might be better than pursuing Seniors with late second round picks or undrafted.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

We don't need Lonzo slander in the draft thread. I'm just sayin.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
adkindo proposed that the FO should aggressively pursue undrafted young prospects with upside that should have stayed in school for another season of college ball. With this draft considered to be relatively weak, pursuing young players with late second round picks or undrafted might be better than pursuing Seniors with late second round picks or undrafted.

Ah thanks for clarifying.

Another option is if the Lakers don't love anyone in the late lotto (assuming they don't get in the top 3) is to trade the pick for a couple of 2nd rounders or maybe even a late 1st + 2nd rounder.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Ah thanks for clarifying.

Another option is if the Lakers don't love anyone in the late lotto (assuming they don't get in the top 3) is to trade the pick for a couple of 2nd rounders or maybe even a late 1st + 2nd rounder.

Trading down out of the lottery could make sense, but the organization might prefer the flash/sizzle/attention of drafting a lottery pick even though it wouldn't be the most prudent decision.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

Iā€™m slowly talking myself out of taking a big at 11. Outside of Hayes and Clarke Iā€™m not confident the available bigs can defend in space well enough to stay on the floor come playoff time.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Iā€™m slowly talking myself out of taking a big at 11. Outside of Hayes and Clarke Iā€™m not confident the available bigs can defend in space well enough to stay on the floor come playoff time.

Yeup.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

And Hayes is incredibly raw
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

Goga might dissaude you.
But if no big.....Clarke or Garland for me. If none of the above around....maybe MPJ and take that chance on his athleticism to rise to the top????
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

Bol Bol
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

You kidding me? I love Lonzo. Iā€™m about to slander you in a moment!

Iā€™m just saying LG has that ā€œLetā€™s bring our boyz homeā€ mentality. All those years talking about DeRozan, Love, and PG13 has worn on me.
ā‚¬HĀ£MĀ£$TRĀ„
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Gonna keep spamming this thread until draft day...

DRAFT THE BEST SHOOTER AVAILABLE AT THE SLOTS WE PICK
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Goga might dissaude you

Goga might, but I just havenā€™t seen enough footage of him defending on the perimeter yet. But I was high on Bol Bol earlier due to the freak factor offensively but now Iā€™m getting cold feet after watching Gobert the last two postseasons (and even Zubac to a lesser extent this year) being played off the floor.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

ā‚¬HĀ£MĀ£$TRĀ„ wrote:
Gonna keep spamming this thread until draft day...

DRAFT THE BEST SHOOTER AVAILABLE AT THE SLOTS WE PICK

BPA.

We did best shooter available last year. Terrible.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I believe in what Jerry West says; take the best all around player available, and don't worry about positions.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

You kidding me? I love Lonzo. Iā€™m about to slander you in a moment!

Iā€™m just saying LG has that ā€œLetā€™s bring our boyz homeā€ mentality. All those years talking about DeRozan, Love, and PG13 has worn on me.

Of course I'm kidding you.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Goga might dissaude you

Goga might, but I just havenā€™t seen enough footage of him defending on the perimeter yet. But I was high on Bol Bol earlier due to the freak factor offensively but now Iā€™m getting cold feet after watching Gobert the last two postseasons (and even Zubac to a lesser extent this year) being played off the floor.

Bol bol is too slow footed to guard the perimeter effectively and will be pushed around too easily on the interior. Ill pass. Plus injury factor....no thank you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 138 of 441
Jump to: