Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
We don't win the lottery and Zion doesn't slip to the 10th spot

Who do You guys think that we draft at #10?

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Those are my favorites at 10 and I think it's realistic

If Coby White is available, I'd pick him in a heartbeat

Wrote this at the beginning of Tourney time
https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/03/17/2019-nba-draft-top-20-prospects-to-watch-for-ncaa-tournament/amp/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

Brandon Clarke? I can't imagine him at PF in the NBA with no outside shot.

He's soon 23 and his offense reminds me on Randle as a rookie. On the defensive end, he wont stop a bigman with his 6'8 and 215 lbs frame.

Am I wrong about him?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
I still have major doubts that Zion can develop into a #1 option. If the Lakers get the #1 pick, they should trade it for AD.

AD scored 6 points against Kansas.

He won outstanding player of the tournament... but we won't know what to say about Zion until the tournament is over.

Plus he hurt his leg and was adjusting to Tacko.

This isn't based on production. It is based on skill set and size.

But he scored 32 and the winning basket with a bad leg.

I get what you mean about undersized... but it's not like AD has ever won anything.

AD won a national championship in 2012.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
I still have major doubts that Zion can develop into a #1 option. If the Lakers get the #1 pick, they should trade it for AD.

He won outstanding player of the tournament... but we won't know what to say about Zion until the tournament is over.

I get what you mean about undersized... but it's not like AD has ever won anything.

Still in play for Zion and Duke.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

I am ok with any of those 4 guys.....only caveat with Little is I have to truly believe I will invest the time and effort to develop him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Still in play for Zion and Duke.

sure it is....but I was responding to the statement that AD has never won anything.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

He's soon 23 and his offense reminds me on Randle as a rookie. On the defensive end, he wont stop a bigman with his 6'8 and 215 lbs frame.

Am I wrong about him?

Julius obviously has always had passing chops going back to HS, and Cal used him mostly as a roll man/post scorer during Randle's lone season at UK, but I think it's telling that Randle had a poor A/TO ratio (ATR) as a freshman whereas Clarke has never posted a sub 1:1 ATR at any age and as a sophomore had a 2.3/1.8 ATR with the exact same 25% usage rate Randle had as a freshman (1.4/2.5 ATR). Obviously Julius was playing against much better competition than Clarke then at SJSU, but it points to Clarke being a better decision-maker than Randle at age 18 and potentially at age 23 when Clarke steps into the NBA as an underrated short roll playmaker. So his offense at least in that respect should be much better than Randle's was as a rookie.

I think we'll also see Clarke actually cares about setting screens and rolling decisively to the rim from day one in the NBA, which took Julius until his third year to consistently try hard at. Clarke is also a much more explosive vertical athlete than Julius with comparable quicks and speed, which makes him a legitimate lob threat unlike Julius now and certainly unlike Julius as a rookie who still had some baby fat to shed. So in that respect, as well, Clarke should be a more efficient offensive player at age 23 than Randle was at age 20.

As for defense, who cares about low post defense against most PFs? It's like prioritizing run stuffing LBs in the NFL when there are a bunch of Julian Edelmans flying around the middle of the field catching dink and dunk passes. But to assuage your concerns somewhat, Clarke has faced stronger guys in college like Schofield, Grant Williams, and Zion this season and has shown a knack for using his length, quickness, timing, and intelligence to give himself space and still have an advantage in contesting low post shots against more powerful dudes.

That still isn't a priority, though, because Clarke brings a more premium defensive skillset as a switchable, mobile, hyper intelligent backline team defender. So if you're telling me I can get a rookie Julius Randle who is less turnover prone, who screens like crazy, is an actual lob threat, and resembles Shawn Marion on defense unlike Randle who continues to resemble Blake Griffin on that end of the floor at pick #10 in a weak draft, where do I sign? What do I care if he's 23 years old when he clearly was an underrated 1st round caliber talent as a sophomore at SJSU and then stuck around after transferring to post one of the most dominant college seasons of the past decade?

If Clarke shoots, he's going to rise into that Draymond/Matrix/AK47 pantheon of star caliber role-players. And even if he doesn't shoot, his floor is ridiculously high as a defender/effort scorer that he's easily worth selecting over the flotsam of this weak freshman class.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

nonononononononononononononononononononononono

AD averaged 14 points per game on 62% shooting in college, for reference. Zion is at 20 on 69%.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

Am I wrong about him?

I still see him as a Dennis Rodman type......nice piece to have.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

Am I wrong about him?

Julius obviously has always had passing chops going back to HS, and Cal used him mostly as a roll man/post scorer during Randle's lone season at UK, but I think it's telling that Randle had a poor A/TO ratio (ATR) as a freshman whereas Clarke has never posted a sub 1:1 ATR at any age and as a sophomore had a 2.3/1.8 ATR with the exact same 25% usage rate Randle had as a freshman (1.4/2.5 ATR). Obviously Julius was playing against much better competition than Clarke then at SJSU, but it points to Clarke being a better decision-maker than Randle at age 18 and potentially at age 23 when Clarke steps into the NBA as an underrated short roll playmaker. So his offense at least in that respect should be much better than Randle's was as a rookie.

I think we'll also see Clarke actually cares about setting screens and rolling decisively to the rim from day one in the NBA, which took Julius until his third year to consistently try hard at. Clarke is also a much more explosive vertical athlete than Julius with comparable quicks and speed, which makes him a legitimate lob threat unlike Julius now and certainly unlike Julius as a rookie who still had some baby fat to shed. So in that respect, as well, Clarke should be a more efficient offensive player at age 23 than Randle was at age 20.

As for defense, who cares about low post defense against most PFs? It's like prioritizing run stuffing LBs in the NFL when there are a bunch of Julian Edelmans flying around the middle of the field catching dink and dunk passes. But to assuage your concerns somewhat, Clarke has faced stronger guys in college like Schofield, Grant Williams, and Zion this season and has shown a knack for using his length, quickness, timing, and intelligence to give himself space and still have an advantage in contesting low post shots against more powerful dudes.

That still isn't a priority, though, because Clarke brings a more premium defensive skillset as a switchable, mobile, hyper intelligent backline team defender. So if you're telling me I can get a rookie Julius Randle who is less turnover prone, who screens like crazy, is an actual lob threat, and resembles Shawn Marion on defense unlike Randle who continues to resemble Blake Griffin on that end of the floor at pick #10 in a weak draft, where do I sign? What do I care if he's 23 years old when he clearly was an underrated 1st round caliber talent as a sophomore at SJSU and then stuck around after transferring to post one of the most dominant college seasons of the past decade?

If Clarke shoots, he's going to rise into that Draymond/Matrix/AK47 pantheon of star caliber role-players. And even if he doesn't shoot, his floor is ridiculously high as a defender/effort scorer that he's easily worth selecting over the flotsam of this weak freshman class.

Surprised me when Cosmis? On Twitter made a star competition to Kenyon Martin with a lot of similarity per 36. Yet Clarke is the better passer, slasher, perimeter defender.

Basically a weight room away.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

I also think any lotto pick will be traded this yearfor a ready player to help LeBron on our new time schedule. As we throw away all of our assets to appease him.....look for our latest asset to be gone rather quickly for an established player.....i.e. Beal or someone of that ilk. If it's #1 of course Zion for AD in Magic's mind.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
I also think any lotto pick will be traded this yearfor a ready player to help LeBron on our new time schedule. As we throw away all of our assets to appease him.....look for our latest asset to be gone rather quickly for an established player.....i.e. Beal or someone of that ilk. If it's #1 of course Zion for AD in Magic's mind.

Why not just get Kemba and keep the pick again?

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:

I wouldn't blame Magic if he moved #1 for AD and absorbed his salary. I mean, the idea of adding AD to this current team is exciting and we'd still have money to add around them. Assuming NO would do #1 for AD, I think I'd be in. Use the rest of the cap space to sign Danny Green and then bring back McGee, Bullock, and Chandler. Hope Ariza would take the min to return.

Davis | McGee | Chandler
LeBron | Kuzma | Wagner
Ingram | Ariza
Green | Bullock
Lonzo | Hart | Caruso

Assuming that's how the lotto plays out, I'd be very okay with that roster.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

Really sure they would ask for more.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
matigol wrote:

Am I wrong about him?

Surprised me when Cosmis? On Twitter made a star competition to Kenyon Martin with a lot of similarity per 36. Yet Clarke is the better passer, slasher, perimeter defender.

Basically a weight room away.

I like the comp of a future Kenyon Martin/Matrix hybrid guy. I wouldn't rule it out for Clarke at all.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Bol Bol (depending on the health of his feet)
Brandon Clarke
De'Andre Hunter
Coby White
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
NAW

Nassir Little is a truly dumb basketball player and I hope the Lakers avoid him altogether. Keldon Johnson seems like a fungible backup shooter type who can be found anywhere in any draft. Svi might have been a better prospect than Johnson.

20 pts. 7 rebs. 8/11 FG, 3/3 FT in 21 mins vs Was.

I'll take that dumb mofo at 10.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

Sadly Magic isn't thinking about getting #1... as we won that pointless game last night.

If we lose to Chicago after being down 16... we lose last night... we'd be right in the thick of the competition for the 6th through 9th spots.

Now we are pretty much locked in 10th... giving us a 14% chance at a top 4 pick instead of a 36% chance.

Our team is worried more about stat padding in meaningless games for vets that will no longer be here, instead of the long term future of the team.

Playing checkers while the other GMs are playing chess.

Bringing a knife to a gun fight...

You pick the analogy...
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Brandon Clarke
De'Andre Hunter
Coby White
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
NAW

Nassir Little is a truly dumb basketball player and I hope the Lakers avoid him altogether. Keldon Johnson seems like a fungible backup shooter type who can be found anywhere in any draft. Svi might have been a better prospect than Johnson.

Nassir is a good athlete but he was the beneficiary of smart players who fed him like Coby White.

I don't want any more KCPs... give me the Coby guy instead.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Brandon Clarke
De'Andre Hunter
Coby White
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
NAW

You'd be telling on yourself, but go right ahead with your one game sample size.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Zion has more value than AD on an expiring deal right now.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah if we are going to trade the core it should be for the number one pick, not for AD.

At least there is more hope you have a championship leader in Zion.

AD hasn't moved the bar in seven years.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Brandon Clarke
De'Andre Hunter
Coby White
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
NAW

You'd be telling on yourself, but go right ahead with your one game sample size.

About 80% of the mock drafts have him inside the top 10.

Who's dumb now?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Brandon Clarke
De'Andre Hunter
Coby White
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
NAW

Nassir is a good athlete but he was the beneficiary of smart players who fed him like Coby White.

I don't want any more KCPs... give me the Coby guy instead.

except he won't be there when we pick
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
matigol wrote:

White
Nassir
Keldon
Hunter

Brandon Clarke
De'Andre Hunter
Coby White
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
NAW

He legit played like a PF in a SF body.

What part of his game showed ball handling and shooting instead of just finishing?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Zion has more value than AD on an expiring deal right now.

That doesn't mean that the Pelicans wouldn't ask for more because they have the proven talent.

They weren't even reasonable during the trade deadline and don't have a GM, yet we think they'll be reasonable?

A new GM would probably get fired for Zion for AD 1 for 1.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 75 of 441
Jump to: