OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5646, 5647, 5648 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is balling this year. 17 PPG with 50/40/90 splits. Happy for him. Could get 6MOTY if he keeps this up.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
All of what you said is mostly true but Harden has been on the footsteps of advancing deeper many times and like clockwork he folds in the biggest lights. There's a reason why people always talk about him underperforming yearly. His 4 game 7's and 19 elimination games he is shooting about 40% and I remember hearing another stat which I can't remember exactly but in those same elimination games he has almost as many turnovers as assists. All of that is much lower then his averages by a large margin. So idk, I strongly believe he absolutely cant lead a team to the Championship as the #1 guy. If the Nets do win it in the next few years I have my money on it being KD's team as he doesn't shrink or borderline disappear in those massive moments. Now that he is a sidekick to possibly the best player in the game his chances are much better and he's in a spot he's never really been before outside of those early Thunder teams but they were super young at that point.

Once upon a time, I remember similar things being said about Lebron and Kobe. Heck, Kobe folded in Game 7 vs. the Suns and later shot 6 for 24 in Game 7 against the Celtics. People have been making excuses for those games for years, but the excuses work only because Kobe won a couple titles along the way without Shaq. Lebron wilted in the playoffs a few times, too. I remember people on this board gloating about it.

If Harden manages to win a title with the Nets, the narrative will be that the Rockets organization held him back for all of those years. That's BS, but this is what happens when the narrative takes control.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

This is a big day for LG fans who have been clamoring for us to sign a big stiff C who won’t get minutes.

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors announce they have waived center Alex Len.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

So you guys think we will look to make a move if we are struggling a little bit and other teams like the Nets and Clippers are rolling?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So you guys think we will look to make a move if we are struggling a little bit and other teams like the Nets and Clippers are rolling?

I don't think that would change the likelihood of us making some sort of move. If there is some move that is feasible and that would make us better, I'm sure we'll look at it either way.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
This is a big day for LG fans who have been clamoring for us to sign a big stiff C who won’t get minutes.

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors announce they have waived center Alex Len.

Haha, that’s for sure.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't think that would change the likelihood of us making some sort of move. If there is some move that is feasible and that would make us better, I'm sure we'll look at it either way.

Someone on LG bought up John Collins wonder if we can make a move for him.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Someone on LG bought up John Collins wonder if we can make a move for him.

No. He wants the max
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Although I hate us losing to GS. I feel watching the game Vogel is still playing with combo lineup. I wont make any move until, the coaching staff have a good sense of which lineup works best. only then should we decide if we need another Big or a wing defender (ie ariza type).
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Although I hate us losing to GS. I feel watching the game Vogel is still playing with combo lineup. I wont make any move until, the coaching staff have a good sense of which lineup works best. only then should we decide if we need another Big or a wing defender (ie ariza type).

Even more, I think they're evaluating real hard to extend or not Dennis.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Dennis is a must extend, I like his game, plus we have no option but keep our players right now.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
lakerican wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Dennis is a must extend, I like his game, plus we have no option but keep our players right now.

Hard to imagine the Lakers letting him walk. It's not like that would open up any cap space for a replacement.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DLaker wrote:
lakerican wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Hard to imagine the Lakers letting him walk. It's not like that would open up any cap space for a replacement.

AC and THT contract is also something that we have to consider but we have to do what we can do now to secure Schroder. At the very least , he is good trade asset.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
If Harden manages to win a title with the Nets, the narrative will be that the Rockets organization held him back for all of those years. That's BS, but this is what happens when the narrative takes control.

It won't be BS. Every single team he lost to, aside from Portland and SA without Kawhi, he lost to a clearly better team that clearly had more talent. And the losses to Portland and SA were with non contending teams. If he wins in Brooklyn it will be because he is on one of the most talented teams in basketball, same as most people that have won titles in this league (including every Laker to win one).

It's extremely rare for undermanned teams to win titles in this league.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
James Harden is also a franchise talent. But he has proven he can't lead a team to a Championship as the Rockets pretty much put everything around him that he wanted, every star, every coach, every system, every scenario and he blamed everyone else before blaming himself. So he's not the guy that will lead your team to a Championship. But he's a franchise talent regardless. But one that lacks leadership qualities.

The only players to lead a team to a title in Harden's situation were Hakeem (once), Duncan (once) and Dirk. Possibly Russell the year he beat y'all original superteam of Wilt/Baylor/West. I don't really know who you would say led the 04 Pistons, but pick someone and add them to the list too if ya want. Harden proved he can't elevate a worse team over one that clearly has more talent and win a title. 99% of the players in league history failed in that regard. You can't list one Rocket team he was on that had comparable talent to whoever won the title that season. And you will struggle to list title winning teams that weren't arguably the most talented in the league that year, especially at the time they were playing (due to injuries).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It won't be BS. Every single team he lost to, aside from Portland and SA without Kawhi, he lost to a clearly better team that clearly had more talent. And the losses to Portland and SA were with non contending teams. If he wins in Brooklyn it will be because he is on one of the most talented teams in basketball, same as most people that have won titles in this league (including every Laker to win one).

It's extremely rare for undermanned teams to win titles in this league.

Do you come here just to whine about the Rockets and how you think the owners are cheap? The Harden-era Rockets teams were loaded. They were not undermanned. You should officially become a Laker fan and join the people who whine that our current roster isn't good enough.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject:

Cleveland is looking to trade Javale McGee. Would love him back on the Lakers. We need to be on that quickly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Cleveland is looking to trade Javale McGee. Would love him back on the Lakers. We need to be on that quickly.

I don't think you can trade for him this season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:

Plus, unless Gasol or Trez are going out in a deal, McGee would not crack the rotation. The team ratings with Gasol are way better than they were with McGee last I checked. Gasol provides 3 point spacing for Bron-AD.

I think if we look for a move like this, it has to be for Trez. Who from what I see, with the connection to Klutch, will likely be a KCP type investment, who we bring along and develop into a major player, eventually.

Just do not see why the Lakers would make a move like this. If they want more rim running and above the rim plays, they simply use AD at the 5. He is just as long, more athletic and capable to be both a roller on a screen, or to sit back and pop the 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Would he be ok with being the 3rd, maybe 4th Center on some nights or would he want to go somewhere he could play?

The only time he would see real minutes is when we rest Gasol (5-10 games if healthy)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:

Plus, unless Gasol or Trez are going out in a deal, McGee would not crack the rotation. The team ratings with Gasol are way better than they were with McGee last I checked. Gasol provides 3 point spacing for Bron-AD.

I think if we look for a move like this, it has to be for Trez. Who from what I see, with the connection to Klutch, will likely be a KCP type investment, who we bring along and develop into a major player, eventually.

Just do not see why the Lakers would make a move like this. If they want more rim running and above the rim plays, they simply use AD at the 5. He is just as long, more athletic and capable to be both a roller on a screen, or to sit back and pop the 3.

I think we will wait until we have a roster slot (Deadmon would be a good 3rd center), or wait for the buyout market (March).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

We don't need a 3rd center.

We have Gasol, Harrell and Davis(when needed, for some lineups) who can all play that position.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

We have Gasol, Harrell and Davis(when needed, for some lineups) who can all play that position.

Yes MJ...but Davis is the only rim protector. Oubre got to the rim with no resistance at all...other teams will follow this lead. I think we need a shot blocker...we'll see if the FO agrees.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yes MJ...but Davis is the only rim protector.

Our rim protection is better with Marc Gasol. Rim Protection expands beyond Jumping High and blocking shots.

Marc Gasol was one of the best paint defenders, post defenders, and defensive centers in the league last year.

This year as he's played himself into shape and timing our defense has been the best in the league. Essentially the same amount of rim attempts are attempted as was the case vs Dwight and McGee so their 'intimidation factor' was irrelevant.

So not only are we better defensively, but Gasol can pass, shoot the three and stretch the floor, which means we didn't lose anything on defense, and we gained on versatility.

And if "blocks" is all you are thinking about, Marc Gasol is averaging more Blocks this season than Dwight and McGee in essentially the same amount of minutes.

Marc Gasol 1.5 BLK
Dwight Howard 0.8 BLK
JaVale McGee: 1.1 BLK

So can this narrative finally be put to rest? If people didn't decide they already had made up their mind after the first 2 games of the season they wouldn't be stubbornly clinging to this falsity.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

This is what people want to be looking at for defensive stats - not blocks per game.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-lt6/

You see someone like KAT, can block shots, has a decent BPG average, 2.8 per game, but his DFG% at the rim is (bleep). Hence, KAT is not known for being a great defender or the Wolves.

Gasol is at 56.7% DFG at the rim (6 feet or less challenged shots).
Trez is at 61.5% (Bad)
Kieff is at 71.4% (Real bad).

I think Gasol is right around where we thought he would be, he is not amazing at rim protection, like say someone like Myles Turner.

For reference Dwight is at 37.6% DFG% rim protection at 6 feet or less, which is freaking awesome. We do not miss McGee, if there is something we miss, it is Dwight. And, we are #1 in team defense rating at the moment according to baksetball reference.

I definitely think things will change when AD plays more 5, and Gasol ups his activity in the playoffs.

But Trez in general, on D, has not been too good. Come playoffs Frank will need to decide whether to go with Trez or Marc based match ups, I do not see us playing both in the rotation as AD needs to be at the 5 so we can get great coverage on screen-roll defense and be more versatile on both ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5646, 5647, 5648 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5647 of 8560
Jump to: