OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3706, 3707, 3708 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/arashmarkazi/status/1174655559036895232?s=21

Some interesting things. Not too much we didn’t already know.

I think PG13/Kawhi are Lakers if Klutch isn’t here. However, then there is no AD.

Let’s see who wins out.

frankly, i'd take PG and KL SIGNED for multiple years over an aging LeBron and AD with his impending free agency. it's not a lock he will re-sign here especially if season doesn't go the way people are hoping.

I tend to agree and it’s nothing against Lebron/AD as players. I just wouldn’t choose a 34/35 year old Lebron over a 28 year old Kawhi.

Kawhi is a monster and he has approximately 3 or 4 seasons of peak Kawhi unless his quad problem is really unmanageable.

I think PG13 is somewhat overhyped, but Kawhi is no joke top 3 easy. He comes into this season as #1 imo.

Maybe Lebron has that revenge season where he looks like 28 year old Lebron, but again decline is a natural thing.

The great equalizer imo is if AD becomes the #1 player in the league and he is quite capable. I’m not worried about Lebron out producing PG13. He’s just not the 2 way beast that Kawhi is and that’s fine, he’s 35.

Yeah. But I also think all 30 teams would have signed LBJ even at his age. When PG re-signed with OKC, were the Lakers really going to turn down LBJ? Of course not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

Put simply, I could understand if it's 2018 and KL is a FA, and you choose the younger player.

But in the summer of 2018, the reality was:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.
2. LBJ wants to sign with Lakers.
3. KL hadn't played a full season and had injury concerns and wasn't a FA until 2019.

In that case, the smart choice is to go with LBJ b/c we had no idea whether KL would be healed and coming to the Lakers in 2019.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

My concern with AD's pending free agency is that he signs a 2+1 (player option), which would make him a 10+ year max free agent in 2022 at age 29. That's also the year Lebron's contract ends (though he has a player option in 2021) and he'll be 37 years of age. If the Lakers don't win a title with AD/Lebron by then and Pelinka fails to re-tool the roster successfully in the summer of 2021 to satisfy AD and Rich Paul, Davis then walks in 2022 as Lebron retires or goes back to Miami for a final ceremonial go around.

That's the most pessimistic outcome, of course, but AD taking that 2+1 next summer would give him the most flexibility. And as he saw this past summer, KD tore his achilles tendon and still got max money so the injury risk may be acceptable to him. I think it would be a smart decision on his part, but would make the Lakers long-term future much more precarious.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
My concern with AD's pending free agency is that he signs a 2+1 (player option), which would make him a 10+ year max free agent in 2022 at age 29. That's also the year Lebron's contract ends (though he has a player option in 2021) and he'll be 37 years of age. If the Lakers don't win a title with AD/Lebron by then and Pelinka fails to re-tool the roster successfully in the summer of 2021 to satisfy AD and Rich Paul, Davis then walks in 2022 as Lebron retires or goes back to Miami for a final ceremonial go around.

That's the most pessimistic outcome, of course, but AD taking that 2+1 next summer would give him the most flexibility. And as he saw this past summer, KD tore his achilles tendon and still got max money so the injury risk may be acceptable to him. I think it would be a smart decision on his part, but would make the Lakers long-term future much more precarious.

Also hinges upon whether we can strike it big in FA in 2021 with Giannis/Beal being the headliners then (which would require LBJ to take a major paycut, which is dubious on its face).
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Put simply, I could understand if it's 2018 and KL is a FA, and you choose the younger player.

1. PG re-signs with OKC.
3. KL hadn't played a full season and had injury concerns and wasn't a FA until 2019.

In that case, the smart choice is to go with LBJ b/c we had no idea whether KL would be healed and coming to the Lakers in 2019.

I think the Lakers were desperate for getting respect and credibility back and when LBJ tells you he’s down, they had to jump. They needed that credibility even if it meant that Klutch would be running things.

I think they were tired of the jokes about Aldridge, DeRozan, (insert max FA here) turning them down.

It’s hindsight 20/20 and the pieces landed were they did. I don’t think the Lakers had the strong leadership and structure to bet on say PG13 only or let’s wait for Kawhi.

I would have waited myself with the young core, but that’s a tough sell in LA and I don’t think the ownership had the cache, reputation or leadership to take the risk. Maybe if Jerry West was around to help navigate...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

Imagine if the Lakers were rejected by PG (b/c in this scenario they passed on LBJ and PG didn't want to come alone) and rejected LBJ. So another failed summer, and what would then give confidence that KL would come in 2019?

I was not happy with the picks we gave up in the AD trade, but we still do have two top 6 players in hand right now. I'm excited for the upcoming season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I think PG13/Kawhi are Lakers if Klutch isn’t here. However, then there is no AD.

Let’s see who wins out.

Seems to me KL had his sights set on Clips all this time, decided to take the Lakers on a wild ride in FA.

PG13, he's a handful.

Regardless, F them. Let's wipe them out. I'll roll with LBJ/AD all day.

VLF said it in the middle of free agency.. Kawhi was buying time for the Clips to get someone. Who knew PG was a possibility but that's clearly what he was doing.

Also, reading (or re-reading) how he dragged Jeanie and Rob out to Westlkae Village fora. hotel meeting but instead went to Doc's house is pretty telling IMO.

He knew where he wanted- LA. But he wanted a co-star not named LeBron. He didn't want a superteam. He wanted Doc as coach and he wanted an owner like Ballmer.

Luckily for us, we ended up with a championship level team but the weaknesses that kept Kawhi out of purple and gold still exist-- and that is organizationally.

We'll see how this plays out but basketball wise, they are a problem.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:
"He said, ‘I want to play for you,’ and he pointed at me. He said, ‘Mr. Ballmer, I love the things you do and what you stand for, but your team is not good enough and if you don’t change your team, I’m not coming.’ ”

Who woulda thunk it?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

frankly, i'd take PG and KL SIGNED for multiple years over an aging LeBron and AD with his impending free agency. it's not a lock he will re-sign here especially if season doesn't go the way people are hoping.

PG made his decision before LBJ.

And no way PG comes to Lakers by himself in 2018. He wanted out of the Pacers b/c they couldn't pair him with another star.

PG/KL are effectively only signed to 2 guaranteed years with the Clips. A lot of things can go right or wrong. Everything is contingent upon KL's health, and yes, he was a monster in winning a ring for the Raptors. But he also looked like he was dragging his body by the end too. Can he do this year after year?

For the record we only have Lebron for a guaranteed 2 years and AD for one. All of these players have an out.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Also hinges upon whether we can strike it big in FA in 2021 with Giannis/Beal being the headliners then (which would require LBJ to take a major paycut, which is dubious on its face).

Which brings up the Lakers and LBJ potentially parting ways to add a younger guy.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

Too much what if scenario with a lot of LG members here. There is no guarantee Kawhi or PG are Lakers. We got LBJ wanting to be a Lakers, but some are still not satisfied. LBJ and AD are a potent a duo. SI voted them in there 1st and 2nd all decade team. Knowing that both Kawhi and PG had a chance to be a Lakers and turn it down is not worth my fan fare, I route for players willing to put on that golden armor.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

Too much what if scenario with a lot of LG members here. There is no guarantee Kawhi or PG are Lakers. We got LBJ wanting to be a Lakers, but some are still not satisfied. LBJ and AD are a potent a duo. SI voted them in there 1st and 2nd all decade team. Knowing that both Kawhi and PG had a chance to be a Lakers and turn it down is not worth my fan fare, I route for players willing to put on that golden armor.

Are you satisfied with adding Lebron and being a lottery team? Is adding a name that satisfying?
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

Are you satisfied with adding Lebron and being a lottery team? Is adding a name that satisfying?

With or without him, we would have been a lottery team last season with the injuries we have. I only satisfied when we win the chip, so last year was a huge disappointment.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

Regardless if AD leaves or not, it would be a major blunder if we don't win a title in the next three years. I wouldn't blame him if he left at that point.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

With or without him, we would have been a lottery team last season with the injuries we have. I only satisfied when we win the chip, so last year was a huge disappointment.

Exactly....If this team is healthy this year expect a trip to the finals.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

If Lonzo and BI didn't miss 30+ games I think we are in the playoffs.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:
"He said, ‘I want to play for you,’ and he pointed at me. He said, ‘Mr. Ballmer, I love the things you do and what you stand for, but your team is not good enough and if you don’t change your team, I’m not coming.’ ”

Who woulda thunk it?

Ballmer is the reason I don’t buy the “same old clips” narrative. Imo Lakers fans should be concerned about Ballmer vs. Buss. The dude is fully committed and has all the resources.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:

Who woulda thunk it?

Ballmer is the reason I don’t buy the “same old clips” narrative. Imo Lakers fans should be concerned about Ballmer vs. Buss. The dude is fully committed and has all the resources.

A large contingent of Laker fans have been telling me that coaches and organizations don't matter, but that's exactly where we got beat here and we will continue to get beat there as long as Jeanie refuses to put our house in order.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:

Who woulda thunk it?

A large contingent of Laker fans have been telling me that coaches and organizations don't matter, but that's exactly where we got beat here and we will continue to get beat there as long as Jeanie refuses to put our house in order.

Before going full rainbows and lollipops on the Clippers, let’s remember what the real Clippers were for the last 40+ years, the Clippers would need to go on a dozen decade year run to reach the Lakers jock.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:

Who woulda thunk it?

Ballmer is in it for the long-term win. His wealth laps the Buss family's and they are clearly not cutting corners. We keep falling into nepotistic traps and are frankly lucky that we ended up with LBJ/AD. Without LBJ, we'd be probably repeating Moz/Deng all over again.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
DLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

Nice posts DLaker and King!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

So by the trade deadline the 10 year plus veteran’s exception will be prorated down to around 985k. The Boogie DPE of 1.75m does not prorate. That will be a good thing to use around then.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:

Who woulda thunk it?

Jeanie is definitely concerned
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
DLaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. PG re-signs with OKC.

I don’t expect that. I hope it happens but this team is poorly constructed.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s see who wins out.

Quote:

Who woulda thunk it?

Jeanie is definitely concerned

What about Doc Rivers? He told Steve Ballmer that the Clippers would move to Seattle if Kawhi signed with the Lakers
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3706, 3707, 3708 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3707 of 8560
Jump to: