OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3676, 3677, 3678 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

Dwight is not even a FA, meaning we would have to trade for this turd, better to bring in a stiff that can put up about 15mpg, that coupled with McGees 22mpg means Davis will “only” have to move to the 5 for about 10mpg, or about 2-1/2 minutes per quarter..

Gortat, Nene, Noah, I don’t really care, just someone to clog the middle for Kuz to operate!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I would sign DH. Either way its a win. If he plays well it understands his role it would be great. It also keeps the other team from getting him and potentially filling their biggest weakness. If he sucks, we as a fan base (and an organization as well) can embarrass him and pay him back for being the knucklehead that he was (is).

Agree 100%. I am ok with a player redeeming himself. Maybe, like Boogie, he has something to prove. I doubt he would consider coming back if he was worried about fan reaction. It could be what he wants to finish his career.

Like Boogie he is damaged goods

Any center who is available at this point is damaged goods.

All the candidates have injury histories, personality issues, are old, are really power forwards, or otherwise have some concerning issue..

There isn't a no-brainer choice. It's just which roll of the dice you favor.

Exactly. The selection is limited when dumpster diving.

The problem is that we didn’t need to put ourselves in this situation. We could have planned better in the offseason. There are reasons that Cousins only had one other team interested in him, the likelihood that he would be injured and miss games was about 100%. We knew that AD didn’t want to play big minutes at center. Signing another backup big was necessary but we failed to do so.

The reward was worth the risk...I’m not going to blame them for that. But I agree that instead of Dudley, Daniels or Cook...they should have brought in another legit big...WCS would have been nice or someone similar that can handle big bodies.

I agree. Especially since they're desperately hoping to re-sign AD next summer and he recruited Boogie. Where they messed up, like you said, was not getting another big in case this happened.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Dwight is not even a FA, meaning we would have to trade for this turd, better to bring in a stiff that can put up about 15mpg, that coupled with McGees 22mpg means Davis will “only” have to move to the 5 for about 10mpg, or about 2-1/2 minutes per quarter..

Gortat, Nene, Noah, I don’t really care, just someone to clog the middle for Kuz to operate!

No it doesn't. It's been expected since day one of the trade that the Grizzlies will waive him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

WCS instead of Mcgee? Or with AD, Cuz, Mcgee? Cuz I don’t think Mcgee or WCS would have signed up to be 3rd string.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

We overspent on guards and it's showing in terms of a lack of depth at the center position. We have:

PG: Bradley/Rondo/Caruso/Cook
SG: Green/KCP/Daniels.

7 players to play 96 minutes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

If we do sign Dwight/Noah/Faried, and Iggy gets waived.....do we waive someone to sign him?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
If we do sign Dwight/Noah/Faried, and Iggy gets waived.....do we waive someone to sign him?

Absolutely. Bye Troy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

Although would the Lakers cut Boogie (with the understanding they could try again next year...on a minimum deal, sigh)?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
As someone mentioned WCS was available. You didn’t need to be Kreskin to think that Cousins might go down. That is who he is now.

WCS is going to be starting at GS, or at least getting significant minutes.

I can't imagine he would have signed here for the minimum to be third string behind JaVale and Cousins.

So that's the problem I have with the idea that we should have already had a third string center in place.

I can't think of anyone we could have gotten a month or two ago that is better than anyone we can get now. If you can’t think of a specific name besides WCS, that pretty much proves the point. Good third string centers are exactly easy to find.

Now if you're saying we should have passed on Cousins and gone after someone like WCS instead, that's a different topic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
As someone mentioned WCS was available. You didn’t need to be Kreskin to think that Cousins might go down. That is who he is now.

I can't imagine he would have signed here for the minimum to be third string behind JaVale and Cousins.

So that's the problem I have with the idea that we should have already had a third string center in place.

I can't think of anyone we could have gotten a month or two ago that is better than anyone we can get now. If you can’t think of a specific name besides WCS, that pretty much proves the point. Good third string centers are exactly easy to find.

Now if you're saying we should have passed on Cousins and gone after someone like WCS instead, that's a different topic.

I was asked for a name and gave it. You dismiss it and ask for another. Which you will again dismiss and ask for someone else. Rinse and repeat. It is a good reminder why I typically pass over your “posts”.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

No it doesn't. It's been expected since day one of the trade that the Grizzlies will waive him.

But the Grizzlies haven’t waived him and now he might have a market.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

But the Grizzlies haven’t waived him and now he might have a market.

the Grizzlies are allowing him to talk to teams in hopes of him being motivated to give more back in a buyout
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I was asked for a name and gave it. You dismiss it and ask for another. Which you will again dismiss and ask for someone else. Rinse and repeat. It is a good reminder why I typically pass over your “posts”.

No. I dismissed WCS because I don't think he would realistically sign here as a third stringer. If that is the only name you can come up with, and apparently it is, that says it all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

I wanted Noah Vonleh. He was signed for 2m.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
WCS instead of Mcgee? Or with AD, Cuz, Mcgee? Cuz I don’t think Mcgee or WCS would have signed up to be 3rd string.

Yeah, that's the problem with the whining. How many teams have a third-string center that is ready to step in and play big minutes?

What guy was available to be third-string center in June that is better than the guys we could sign now?

No one I can think of.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No. I dismissed WCS because I don't think he would realistically sign here as a third stringer. If that is the only name you can come up with, and apparently it is, that says it all.

I can come up with other names but won’t waste my time having you making up some excuse why they wouldn’t come here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

We overloaded on guards while ignoring SF-sized perimeter defenders and centers behind Boogie who was coming off an Achilles/quad injury.

Now we have 7 guys vying for 96 guard minutes, no true SF behind LBJ, and no center behind Jav.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We overloaded on guards while ignoring SF-sized perimeter defenders and centers behind Boogie who was coming off an Achilles/quad injury.

Now we have 7 guys vying for 96 guard minutes, no true SF behind LBJ, and no center behind Jav.

Yep. Reminds me LBJ's last year in CLE. When they started the season with Rose, Wade, JR Smith, Korver, Calderon, Shumpert, IT
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

coldzim wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Oof these numbers

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1162083790774292480?s=19

Basically, Dwight is only not horrible at one thing: defensive rebounding.

That's not true.

Quote:
https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1163230725484814336

@Tim_NBA

Dwight Howard’s career PIPM and @The_BBall_Index talent grade data looks solid other than last season’s tiny sample.

On court, in a vacuum (ignore fit), he’s perhaps the best of bad options for LA.

I’ll leave analyzing off-court risks and deciding if he’s worth it to the team.

[...]

Of the available options (through the lens of comparing to other bigs):

- Howard is the only real plus interior defender
- Johnson and Faried are the only ones with any floor spacing & popping ability (albeit not very strong)
- Noah can playmake & Johnson can to a lesser degree
- Howard is the only good finisher
- Howard & Faried only good rollers
- Howard is the only + rebounder on both O&D

Off-court aside, Howard checks the most boxes. He’s the guy unless you’re going for spacing.

That's if you're regarding last season a fluke and not an indicator of where he's headed, especially after a *2nd* back surgery. The dude is done.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Should have looked into Johnathon Simmons.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Ditto. Would have been a solid signing. Not sure our FO knows who he is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ditto. Would have been a solid signing. Not sure our FO knows who he is.

He was on the top of my FA list in terms of role players. I thought he showed some shooting ability and ability to play center.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

Can Dwight still play NBA basketball?

Dude pretty much missed the entire season last year.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
coldzim wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Oof these numbers

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1162083790774292480?s=19

Basically, Dwight is only not horrible at one thing: defensive rebounding.

That's not true.

Quote:
https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1163230725484814336

@Tim_NBA

Dwight Howard’s career PIPM and @The_BBall_Index talent grade data looks solid other than last season’s tiny sample.

On court, in a vacuum (ignore fit), he’s perhaps the best of bad options for LA.

I’ll leave analyzing off-court risks and deciding if he’s worth it to the team.

[...]

Of the available options (through the lens of comparing to other bigs):

- Howard is the only real plus interior defender
- Johnson and Faried are the only ones with any floor spacing & popping ability (albeit not very strong)
- Noah can playmake & Johnson can to a lesser degree
- Howard is the only good finisher
- Howard & Faried only good rollers
- Howard is the only + rebounder on both O&D

Off-court aside, Howard checks the most boxes. He’s the guy unless you’re going for spacing.

That's if you're regarding last season a fluke and not an indicator of where he's headed, especially after a *2nd* back surgery. The dude is done.

I’m sure you were apart of the same group who kept screaming Nosh was done when some of us said we’d give him a look last year. Is he done as a 30-35mpg guy? Probably. But as a 20 minute backup I believe he could be more than helpful. Especially when JaVale has his yearly stretch of bad play.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Although would the Lakers cut Boogie (with the understanding they could try again next year...on a minimum deal, sigh)?

No, his $3.5M salary could be used as trade ballast for wing depth while Daniels is the obvious guy to cut if Iguodala is waived later in the season.

Keeping Boogie around and using the current open roster spot on a backup C also keeps Melo away from the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3676, 3677, 3678 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3677 of 8560
Jump to: