OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3630, 3631, 3632 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The Knicks have one of the worst rosters conceivable. None of their players save for Wayne Ellington and Marcus Morris made the playoffs last season. Only Charlotte and Cleveland are in contention for being worse.

not sure why that matters.....and you ever counted how many players on our roster was in the playoffs last year? I will save you some time....3 (Green, Cook, and Dudley).

We also have 5 guys that have won championships. My overarching point is that the Knicks are terrible.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The Knicks have one of the worst rosters conceivable. None of their players save for Wayne Ellington and Marcus Morris made the playoffs last season. Only Charlotte and Cleveland are in contention for being worse.

not sure why that matters.....and you ever counted how many players on our roster was in the playoffs last year? I will save you some time....3 (Green, Cook, and Dudley).

You forgot to mention Cousins.

you are correct....none of the 4 had a significant positive impact on their teams in the playoffs.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
I also think it's more likely PG gives us a meeting last year if Lebron isn't in the picture...I know people say he re-signed before Lebron committed to us, but I'm sure he knew where Lebron was leaning well in advance. Who knows, though.

PG said he was afraid Magic would convince him. Then he let WB talk him into staying. Guy is not someone I would build my team around (and I wanted him last summer).

I'm not in agreement with those blaming LBJ. He was the only one who had the nuggz to take on this challenge with or without another star beside him. Now he got AD. Let's go.

I have this feeling PG is someone you'd have to take away his credit card if he's up late at night watching television.

Wonder how Doc Rivers feels about PG since he cheated on his ex, who is his daughter (who is engaged to Seth Curry now).

wow....the NBA player dating pool is like 20 females.

Feeeeeemmmaaaalleesssss. Female should be an adjective not a noun.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

Maybe he didn’t want to play with LeBron (and they would not have been favored over GS), or hitch his wagon to a player at the end of his career. He’s still at home, with max $$, playing alongside arguably the best player in basketball (prime version). He won. His decisions look pretty good as far as “he” goes.

He has some momentum in life. Money-wise he was going to get a max wherever he played and he gets to help with #2's load management while donning a minimally-celebrated jersey in his hometown. Once money isn't an issue, legacy will be all that matters. It remains to be seen if he'll actually win it all when it counts, something he's never been able to do so with Indy or OKC.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Morris’ super-agent, Rich Paul, was not involved directly in Morris breaking his verbal agreement with the Spurs, according to a source, and the Knicks and Morris worked on a new deal together. The source reports Paul preferred Morris stick to his original agreement and the two are headed toward a breakup over the incident.

For those blaming Rich Paul... looks like the move was all Morris.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/rumor-marcus-morris-left-agent-rich-paul-over-backing-out-of-spurs-deal-to-join-knicks/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Maybe he didn’t want to play with LeBron (and they would not have been favored over GS), or hitch his wagon to a player at the end of his career. He’s still at home, with max $$, playing alongside arguably the best player in basketball (prime version). He won. His decisions look pretty good as far as “he” goes.

He has some momentum in life. Money-wise he was going to get a max wherever he played and he gets to help with #2's load management while donning a minimally-celebrated jersey in his hometown. Once money isn't an issue, legacy will be all that matters. It remains to be seen if he'll actually win it all when it counts, something he's never been able to do so with Indy or OKC.

Says a lot about PG's "character" when if under Dream's circumstances, he didn't want to be hitched to LBJ so he hitched himself to WB. But once they got bounced again he wanted out. So yeah, he got his money, gets to go home. But do you trust PG when it comes down to it? I wouldn't.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
Quote:
Morris’ super-agent, Rich Paul, was not involved directly in Morris breaking his verbal agreement with the Spurs, according to a source, and the Knicks and Morris worked on a new deal together. The source reports Paul preferred Morris stick to his original agreement and the two are headed toward a breakup over the incident.

For those blaming Rich Paul... looks like the move was all Morris.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/19/rumor-marcus-morris-left-agent-rich-paul-over-backing-out-of-spurs-deal-to-join-knicks/

That’s positive, shows that Paul is of good character. Considering the Noel/Paul agreement wasn’t true I’m at peace
#18 next...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Says a lot about PG's "character" when if under Dream's circumstances, he didn't want to be hitched to LBJ so he hitched himself to WB. But once they got bounced again he wanted out. So yeah, he got his money, gets to go home. But do you trust PG when it comes down to it? I wouldn't.

This is a general comment that is not aimed at you.

I believe strongly in the right of workers, including NBA players, to do what they want to do and to live there lives however they want. I’m sure that just about everyone here agrees, though they don’t always think of it that way.

So it bothers me a little to see people judging the “character” of players based on their free agency decisions. I would have preferred it if George and Leonard had signed with us, obviously. But it was their right to make their own choice, and it rubs me the wrong way to see people call them weak or conniving when they do something that is not in our best interest. It’s not like the current Lakers organization is such a glorious place that only a morally deficient person would decline the chance to play here.

What does it say about Lebron’s character that he signed with us because of his outside business interests after he couldn’t work out something better elsewhere? What does it say about Davis’ character that he signed a big contract with New Orleans and then forced a trade when things didn’t work out? I say “Nothing” to both questions. These are players exercising their right to do what they think is best for them. This does not change because the decision benefits us or does not benefit us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I believe strongly in the right of workers, including NBA players, to do what they want to do and to live there lives however they want. I’m sure that just about everyone here agrees, though they don’t always think of it that way.

So it bothers me a little to see people judging the “character” of players based on their free agency decisions. I would have preferred it if George and Leonard had signed with us, obviously. But it was their right to make their own choice, and it rubs me the wrong way to see people call them weak or conniving when they do something that is not in our best interest. It’s not like the current Lakers organization is such a glorious place that only a morally deficient person would decline the chance to play here.

What does it say about Lebron’s character that he signed with us because of his outside business interests after he couldn’t work out something better elsewhere? What does it say about Davis’ character that he signed a big contract with New Orleans and then forced a trade when things didn’t work out? I say “Nothing” to both questions. These are players exercising their right to do what they think is best for them. This does not change because the decision benefits us or does not benefit us.

Fair and excellent points.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Fair points. Can we judge George's character based on asking to be traded out of OKC after 1 year of his contract? Mind you, 1 year after talking about "unfinished business" and the "brotherhood" he had with Westbrook.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

So Celtics complained about the Sixers tampering with Horford.

Ironic. Does the name Hayward ring a bell?

Karma is a (bleep)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

LakerSD wrote:

Karma is a (bleep)

I love how the Kemba deal was DONE days before moratorium started.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PG strikes me as a beta who follows whatever the last person in his ear convinces him to do. Last season it was WB who made PG follow him around all offseason like a puppy to make sure he didnt leave.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Fair points. Can we judge George's character based on asking to be traded out of OKC after 1 year of his contract? Mind you, 1 year after talking about "unfinished business" and the "brotherhood" he had with Westbrook.

I think PG not even taking a meeting with any teams is absolutely a character flaw. He made an uninformed decision. It's like shopping for a house and buying the first one you look at. A player is only a free agent 3 or 4 times in their career if they're lucky. Always take the meeting. I think the guy is easily influenced and he's even aware of that part of his personality. Most people here knew he was going to quickly regret re-signing with OKC.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Karma is a (bleep)

or the open secret that they been trying to recruit AD for years now
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Karma is a (bleep)

or the open secret that they been trying to recruit AD for years now

Both excellent points.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:

A year is a long time. A lot of things can change. Most if not all of us know people who soured on their jobs in a year if not a month or even less. There could be a lot of reasons why George decided that he was willing to leave OKC. We may never know what pushed him over the line. Maybe he and Westbrook had a falling out. Maybe his family got sick of OKC. Maybe he just regretted not moving home to LA.

If you want to judge his character, look at what he did for OKC while he was there. He was an MVP candidate. He didn’t demand a trade or do anything to make the team look bad. Heck, the trade blindsided most of us.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

There’s a different when a player (Ex: AD) ask for a trade with plenty of time to allow his team to try to work out a trade that’s best for all parties involved vs PG13 who suddenly ask for a trade thus his team, OKC who already verbally committed to other players/FAs have to ‘break’ that verbal agreements because of PG
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

A year is a long time. A lot of things can change. Most if not all of us know people who soured on their jobs in a year if not a month or even less. There could be a lot of reasons why George decided that he was willing to leave OKC. We may never know what pushed him over the line. Maybe he and Westbrook had a falling out. Maybe his family got sick of OKC. Maybe he just regretted not moving home to LA.

If you want to judge his character, look at what he did for OKC while he was there. He was an MVP candidate. He didn’t demand a trade or do anything to make the team look bad. Heck, the trade blindsided most of us.

I'm glad you posted the post before this. It's tough b/c we don't see it in terms of labor/management, but rather a team sport which injects our subjectivity and fandom. So while it can be seen agnostically like any other job, it's never viewed that way in sports.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
There’s a different when a player (Ex: AD) ask for a trade with plenty of time to allow his team to try to work out a trade that’s best for all parties involved vs PG13 who suddenly ask for a trade thus his team, OKC who already verbally committed to other players/FAs have to ‘break’ that verbal agreements because of PG

But none of the stuff you mention makes PG a bad guy, all that stuff is just business. Maybe he is a little inconsiderate but im not a huge fan of good manners

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:

But none of the stuff you mention makes PG a bad guy, all that stuff is just business. Maybe he is a little inconsiderate but im not a huge fan of politeness

Business is business, but to not give the Lakers even a meeting after saying publicly that you wanted to be on that team is unprofessional.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

I'm glad our roster is pretty much set, until the season (trades, buyouts).

What's your starting lineup?
What's your closing lineup?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I'm glad our roster is pretty much set, until the season (trades, buyouts).

What's your starting lineup?
What's your closing lineup?

Starting (what I think will happen):

Bradley
Green
LBJ
AD
JAV

Closing

(hottest player b/w Bradley/KCP/Rondo/Caruso/Cook)
Green
LBJ
Kuz
AD
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

I'm glad you posted the post before this. It's tough b/c we don't see it in terms of labor/management, but rather a team sport which injects our subjectivity and fandom. So while it can be seen agnostically like any other job, it's never viewed that way in sports.

I think unfortunately a lot of this player movement all gets lumped together under the big banner of "player empowerment" but they're not all equal. A free agent owes nothing to anybody. I'm ok with a guy like Davis who served New Orleans well for 7 years asking for a trade, which ended up being mutually beneficial. What Paul George did is something I'm not ok with and if it becomes the norm for stars I think the league has a problem.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

Pureshot77 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:

But none of the stuff you mention makes PG a bad guy, all that stuff is just business. Maybe he is a little inconsiderate but im not a huge fan of politeness

Business is business, but to not give the Lakers even a meeting after saying publicly that you wanted to be on that team is unprofessional.

I wouldnt agree that canceling a meeting is unprofessional. It happens all the time. I get why fans boo him I will too. But honestly its just fun booing people, I actually don't care that much
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3630, 3631, 3632 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3631 of 8560
Jump to: