OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3625, 3626, 3627 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

i truly think cp3 will actually be a upgrade from westbrook for atleast this season on the thunder... barring extended injury
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
i truly think cp3 will actually be a upgrade from westbrook for atleast this season on the thunder... barring extended injury

It's very possible.
But losing PG for Dani and Shai will probably hurt more.

CP3
Shai
SF
Danilo
Adams

Who takes the SF spot?
Ferggy? Diallo? Roberson?

I wonder how the incumbent players will react getting touches on offense this year?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

It's very possible.

CP3
Shai
SF
Danilo
Adams

Who takes the SF spot?

I wonder how the incumbent players will react getting touches on offense this year?

And they also lost Grant.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

It's very possible.

CP3
Shai
SF
Danilo
Adams

Who takes the SF spot?

Definitely the number one candidates for the last spot in the west. I am glad. Maybe we will see Seattle quite soon again in NBA.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
epak wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

It's very possible.

CP3
Shai
SF
Danilo
Adams

Who takes the SF spot?

Definitely the number one candidates for the last spot in the west. I am glad. Maybe we will see Seattle quite soon again in NBA.

They'll be a bottom 3-4 team for sure. They'll also move guys like Adams and Dennis if they get chance too, and I'm sure they shut down CP3 for the final weeks if they don't manage to trade him until the deadline for tanking purposes.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
What’s his alternative? He could threaten to sit out the year, but that doesn’t help him in any way and could even threaten the guaranteed money he’s got locked in if OKC decided to make an issue of it. He knows there’s no way OKC buys him out with his contract, so his only option is to play.

The bolded worked out for Kawhi and Davis. They didn't lose any money, and they both went to destinations they prefered. I figured CP3 would eventually do the same. Or at least try to.

Wait—did Davis threaten to sit out the year? I don’t remember that. In fact, I thought that the Pelicans benched him.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject:

Even with CP3, I can’t see OKC making the playoffs, as they just don’t have the depth. I can see a 9th or 10th seed for them, in all honesty

Think as it stand we’ll see this:

1: Denver
2: Clippers
3: Lakers
4: Houston
5: Utah
6: Portland
7: Warriors
8: Kings/Mavericks/Spurs
#18 next...
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Even with CP3, I can’t see OKC making the playoffs, as they just don’t have the depth. I can see a 9th or 10th seed for them, in all honesty

Could be. I see it more like:

1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Clippers
4. Utah
5. Houston
6. Portland
7. Warriors
8. Kings
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

It's crazy to me how some people are so "youth-centric" that they can't see the value in veteran leader/mentorship.

Alexander will be a better player because of his time playing behind Paul.

Also, Mudiay, now in Utah, will find himself playing behind Conley.

His situation eerily reminds me of Billups' situation. Drafted really high. Hops from team to team. Then finally finds his way when playing behind and being mentored by an All-Star point guard (in Billup's case -- Terrell Brandon in Minnesota).

Hot Take of The Day: Mudiay will be a very solid player for someone after a year of being Conley's understudy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
It's crazy to me how some people are so "youth-centric" that they can't see the value in veteran leader/mentorship.

His situation eerily reminds me of Billups' situation. Drafted really high. Hops from team to team. Then finally finds his way when playing behind and being mentored by an All-Star point guard (in Billup's case -- Terrell Brandon in Minnesota).

Hot Take of The Day: Mudiay will be a very solid player for someone after a year of being Conley's understudy.

Isn't Exum their guy for the future as a "PG?" I would think they will maximize as much playing time for him over Mudiay.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

I can see the premise behind the Mudiay example, and I think Mudiay will be something of a late bloomer and become a solid starting point guard in the league, however I don’t agree with your first example. CP3’s leadership style is historically very confrontational, and SGA will either be of strong, hardened character in two years, or his confidence will be somewhat shot as CP3’s backup. Basically, Paul’s leadership style is more suited to veterans
#18 next...
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Could be. I see it more like:

1. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Clippers
4. Utah
5. Houston
6. Portland
7. Warriors
8. Kings

Hopefully Houston is the wildcard I reckon, I can see them being a great regular season team before falling apart in the playoffs, or just not working at all and falling to a low playoff seed. Basically, IMO they could finish anywhere between 1 to 8 seed, but they’ll still fail in the playoffs nonetheless
#18 next...
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

Teams that land 6-10 might be determined by which teams decide its better to be in the lottery than knocked out in the 1st rd
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
A year later they were told by another icon in James that they are not worthy, the media criticized their inconsistency and fans pushed them out the door at all costs for the new shiny toy.

LBJ praised Zo and BI for their on court play. We traded them for an all-NBA/HOF trajectory player. It's not that LBJ thought they were chumps.

It still resolves to a message that they weren't considered good enough to be able to get the job done in LA which has to sting.

They weren't, which is why they were so undervalued as trade pieces.

Yes, so undervalued that they only brought back a top 5 player (according to LG).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

Mudiay was super raw and has taken years to develop. He actually looked like a marginal NBA player last year, but he wasn’t good enough to stick with the Knicks. He went to Jazz for the minimum. He may continue to improve. However, the idea that playing with Conley will alter his path seems like a stretch. He’ll be behind Conley and Exum. If he gets more than 10 mpg, he’ll be doing well.

I was surprised that the Jazz gave Exum a mid-sized contract. I thought he was a bust, though he has shown some flashes. I guess they see something in him. You don’t give someone that much money unless you plan to give him a lot of minutes.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
A year later they were told by another icon in James that they are not worthy, the media criticized their inconsistency and fans pushed them out the door at all costs for the new shiny toy.

LBJ praised Zo and BI for their on court play. We traded them for an all-NBA/HOF trajectory player. It's not that LBJ thought they were chumps.

It still resolves to a message that they weren't considered good enough to be able to get the job done in LA which has to sting.

Yes, so undervalued that they only brought back a top 5 player (according to LG).

When combined with a bushel of first round picks.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

When combined with a bushel of first round picks.

yeah, but I have not heard anyone in the NBA go on the record suggesting that the Lakers got a great deal.....it has been the opposite where everyone that I saw grade the trade basically declared the Lakers got the best player but clearly lost the negotiation. Nobody thought it would or should take such a large haul to acquire Davis.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nobody thought it would or should take such a large haul to acquire Davis.

The players were expected though, no? BI/Lonzo/4th pick. What was unexpected were the additional future 1sts and swap(s).

But bear in mind BI/Lonzo haven't been able to resume full on court BBALL activities since Jan/March respectively and have come off yet again season ending injuries. If they were fully healthy, maybe we don't have to give up as much future considerations?

I also assumed that since our pick went from likely 11/12th to 4 that we would be able to give up less.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

The players were expected though, no? BI/Lonzo/4th pick. What was unexpected were the additional future 1sts and swap(s).

But bear in mind BI/Lonzo haven't been able to resume full on court BBALL activities since Jan/March respectively and have come off yet again season ending injuries. If they were fully healthy, maybe we don't have to give up as much future considerations?

I also assumed that since our pick went from likely 11/12th to 4 that we would be able to give up less.

Exactly. Some still say it was a haul to get Davis and it was really a fair trade. The Lakers traded 3 "promising" players who all haven't been healthy. I mean, for Christ's Sake, Lonzo has been out since January with a sprained ankle. I know it was a bad sprain but for 6+ months is pretty bad. Dude is made of glass.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

what's done is done....but it is always about the market, and from all reports, no other team was within a mile of the assets we moved. It was like at an art auction and one team said $500...another team said $600, followed by a $750....then we came in with $5,000!
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

what's done is done....but it is always about the market, and from all reports, no other team was within a mile of the assets we moved. It was like at an art auction and one team said $500...another team said $600, followed by a $750....then we came in with $5,000!

Yes but imagine we not making that trade, Kawhi asking clippers to go get AD. They give same or bigger haul for AD

And we stuck with nobody but an aging LeBron+ injured kids+ cap space
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think we overpaid by a multiplier of 10.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yes but imagine we not making that trade, Kawhi asking clippers to go get AD. They give same or bigger haul for AD

And we stuck with nobody but an aging LeBron+ injured kids+ cap space

That is a fairly unlikely scenario, it was pretty clear that most believed the deal would be done before the draft.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

It was either Knicks or Lakers for AD, and we knew the Knicks didn't have the assets to get it done. I was against trading for AD because I knew BI and Lonzo's values were low due to health concerns. That was also before the Kawhi decision. Now I'm glad we made the deal knowing Kawhi never took us seriously. Wish we could've kept one of Lonzo or BI but I've moved on. It's a fair deal for both teams.
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Finally, someone who agrees with me that Pelinka scored with this deal -- the draft picks added no value.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3625, 3626, 3627 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3626 of 8560
Jump to: