OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3624, 3625, 3626 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Darryl Morey trading CP3 to basketball purgatory in OKC will leave a very sour taste in future free agents mouths for years to come.

Same narrative we saw with Ainge this past summer.

But hey, at least he got his bag. It's a business right?

Can we please stop pretending stuff like this matters to free agents? It might be part of the calculus, but it’s a minor one. The Clippers ethered Blake Griffin in a major way, promising him the world in their pitch to him to re-sign, complete with T-shirt’s comparing him to Ghandi and fake retiring his jersey before trading him that same season to Detroit. It was public, and they were mocked for it, and it didn’t matter one bit when Kawhi Leonard and Paul George had their chance to join the team. We paid Kobe 48 million fresh off of an Achilles tear and the Clippers did their franchise guy dirty, and none of it mattered in the end because it was a minor consideration compared to a myriad of other factors.

Seriously. I do think the IT thing resonates more because of how he put his body on the line for that franchise, and Ainge discarded him like nothing (partially BECAUSE he damaged his body in the process). That (bleep) was cold. Agree with you in general about the idea of past treatment of stars not having as much influence on future free agency.

He traded IT to the best team in the East. After the injury IT wasn't getting paid regardless. IT didn't try and fit in with the Cavs and got traded and squandered an opportunity to go to the finals.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Darryl Morey trading CP3 to basketball purgatory in OKC will leave a very sour taste in future free agents mouths for years to come.

Same narrative we saw with Ainge this past summer.

But hey, at least he got his bag. It's a business right?

Can we please stop pretending stuff like this matters to free agents? It might be part of the calculus, but it’s a minor one. The Clippers ethered Blake Griffin in a major way, promising him the world in their pitch to him to re-sign, complete with T-shirt’s comparing him to Ghandi and fake retiring his jersey before trading him that same season to Detroit. It was public, and they were mocked for it, and it didn’t matter one bit when Kawhi Leonard and Paul George had their chance to join the team. We paid Kobe 48 million fresh off of an Achilles tear and the Clippers did their franchise guy dirty, and none of it mattered in the end because it was a minor consideration compared to a myriad of other factors.

Seriously. I do think the IT thing resonates more because of how he put his body on the line for that franchise, and Ainge discarded him like nothing (partially BECAUSE he damaged his body in the process). That (bleep) was cold. Agree with you in general about the idea of past treatment of stars not having as much influence on future free agency.

And, like dreamshake pointed out, Ainge (bleep) IT like he did didn’t stop him from signing Kemba. It just doesn’t seem like a major consideration.

Stopped him from getting AD at least.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Woj said that CP3 trade discussions are parked and the expectation now is that Chris Paul will play for the Thunder, to no one’s surprise. Zero incentive to buy him out, and every incentive to play him while looking for a trade in the future.

Damn, I do kinda feel bad for him. He chose us to contend and we banished him. At least they gave him his max.

No you don't I kind of hope he gets bought out at some point now just so he can sign with the Lakers and you disappear again for 4 months
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Imo, Westbrook's contract is just as bad as CP3s. Houston just wanted to please Harden. But they'll be in the same spot all over again.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Imo, Westbrook's contract is just as bad as CP3s. Houston just wanted to please Harden. But they'll be in the same spot all over again.

The only upgrade I really see with the swap is strictly health. I think CP3 was a massively better fit to say the least but I wouldn't trust his health either at this stage. I'm not going to lie though, i'm def. interested to see how that duo plays out.. I'm just glad they didn't upgrade since there's already enough competition in the West.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Woj said that CP3 trade discussions are parked and the expectation now is that Chris Paul will play for the Thunder, to no one’s surprise. Zero incentive to buy him out, and every incentive to play him while looking for a trade in the future.

His career is effectively ova

I think he can actually help lead the Thunder to realistically compete for a low seeded playoff spot. He can still play and put butts in the seats. But yeah, his chances of competing for a ring at this point are really low.

I think it will be really hard to do when Presti is thinking Tank/Rebuild and they have a young PG prospect in SGA. The Thunder are going to want to play him and those minutes are coming out of CP3 and Schroder's.

Presti will move Adams contract the first chance he gets and Gallo will be gone by next season. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to move Schroder as well.

What makes you think they plan on tanking since you don’t get the lotto odds benefit anymore and they own a bunch of picks already? After last season I think teams will try to compete and let the chips fall where they fall.

Because they realistically do not have a championship roster now. No high-end potential. I've already said that they could make the playoffs if they actually try this year. But why be like the Spurs last year? What is the point of that? Sure, there's no guarantee of a top-4 pick if you tank. But if ownership can trade CP3 to Miami, even if it costs them one of those first round picks, I think it's the way to go. Not only does ownership save a lot of money by doing that, but they can likely recoup the value of what they give up to jettison CP3 by trading Gallo and, say, Dragic if they got him in a CP3 deal. Not to mention that they'll have a higher pick in the 2020 draft if they tank. The OKC fans had the expectation of being a serious contender for a decade. I think their fans will understand a rebuild, especially given how many picks they've acquired.

EDIT: I see that OKC doesn't have its own 2020 pick. That does change the calculus a bit, but I still think that it would be worth it to jettison CP3 if it only cost them 1 first round pick.

They have their own pick protected 1-20 this upcoming season.

Yeah, this is true. I guess I shouldn't have merely glanced at that without looking at the details. And, yes, some teams moved up into the top 4 last year. It's not always going to be like that, and you still have much better odds of getting a higher pick if you have a bottom-4 record than, say, if you just barely miss the playoffs. This core OKC has now is obviously not going anywhere meaningful. Their best play is to trade their solid vets for more assets. If they were trying all-out still, they would not have dumped Grant to Denver just to get a 1st round pick in the 20's.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

No title for Houston until they quit with the embarrassingly predictable iso play.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Forget just as bad. It’s worse. Arguably double worse considering Westbrick is already declining.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
No title for Houston until they quit with the embarrassingly predictable iso play.

That’s come closer to beating GS when they weren’t ravaged by injury than any other team or system they were running? Too much overkill on the style not being able to win. No team playing any style was able to beat GS until their bodies beat them.

The style of play isn’t Houston’s concern next season. It’s whether or not the backcourt can mix, and the lack of long wing defenders, especially considering who is in LA.

Last edited by Dreamshake on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
What’s his alternative? He could threaten to sit out the year, but that doesn’t help him in any way and could even threaten the guaranteed money he’s got locked in if OKC decided to make an issue of it. He knows there’s no way OKC buys him out with his contract, so his only option is to play.

The bolded worked out for Kawhi and Davis. They didn't lose any money, and they both went to destinations they prefered. I figured CP3 would eventually do the same. Or at least try to.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
What’s his alternative? He could threaten to sit out the year, but that doesn’t help him in any way and could even threaten the guaranteed money he’s got locked in if OKC decided to make an issue of it. He knows there’s no way OKC buys him out with his contract, so his only option is to play.

The bolded worked out for Kawhi and Davis. They didn't lose any money, and they both went to destinations they prefered. I figured CP3 would eventually do the same. Or at least try to.

It worked for Kawhi and Davis because they are young and will have multiple max offers. Who else is gonna give CP3 a max deal? Not even the Knicks would do it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

It worked for Kawhi and Davis because they are young and will have multiple max offers. Who else is gonna give CP3 a max deal? Not even the Knicks would do it.

That's true. I just think Cp3 can claim he's hurt for the duration of his contract. And there's nothing OKC or the league can do about it. With his recurrent injuries, wouldn't be hard to find a doctor to sign on with the story.

Guess he'd rather play for a loser than not play at all. I'm surprised that's CP3's choice.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

That's true. I just think Cp3 can claim he's hurt for the duration of his contract. And there's nothing OKC or the league can do about it. With his recurrent injuries, wouldn't be hard to find a doctor to sign on with the story.

He is not going to do that....he has already said he is open to playing in OKC. Also, there is a big difference in getting a doctor to say you should not play with a real injury, and getting one to actually lie about an injury.....I do not agree the latter will be easy to find. Paul can't bring in some pill mill doctor from the local strip mall.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

What good does that do for Paul, though? If he fakes an injury, it just makes it less likely that a team will trade for him, and OKC has zero incentive to buy him out unless he takes a huge pay cut, which he doesn’t want to do, so the only thing that happens is nothing. I assume he loves playing basketball, so the only one he hurts in that case is himself if he sits out.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
[He is not going to do that....he has already said he is open to playing in OKC. Also, there is a big difference in getting a doctor to say you should not play with a real injury, and getting one to actually lie about an injury.....I do not agree the latter will be easy to find. Paul can't bring in some pill mill doctor from the local strip mall.

I know he's not going to do that. I'm just surprised.
How do you explain Kawhi in San Antonio then? Doctors have differing opinion. CP3 has missed double digit games season after season. When he eventually does so in OKC this season. He can just shut it down for the rest of the year. Rinse and repeat. Like many other players before him have.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

If CP3 wants to get a contender to trade for him then his best option is to play, ball, and show he can stay healthy. Now that he has all that usage back his numbers should be better (volume numbers).

It seemed like he was trying to save himself for the playoffs last year though, so I’m not sure the extra usage will be good.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
If CP3 wants to get a contender to trade for him then his best option is to play, ball, and show he can stay healthy. Now that he has all that usage back his numbers should be better (volume numbers).

It seemed like he was trying to save himself for the playoffs last year though, so I’m not sure the extra usage will be good.

Just don't see a contender trading $33 mill in cap space away and being better with CP3. $33 million on a playoff team is normally alot of talent.

But since CP3 is willing to play for a bad team. That opens up trade options for Presti.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
[He is not going to do that....he has already said he is open to playing in OKC. Also, there is a big difference in getting a doctor to say you should not play with a real injury, and getting one to actually lie about an injury.....I do not agree the latter will be easy to find. Paul can't bring in some pill mill doctor from the local strip mall.

How do you explain Kawhi in San Antonio then? Doctors have differing opinion. CP3 has missed double digit games season after season. When he eventually does so in OKC this season. He can just shut it down for the rest of the year. Rinse and repeat. Like many other players before him have.

Kawhi had an injury, I doubt anyone claimed that was not accurate....they all knew there was a problem with his quad. Team doctors thought it was healed as good as it was going to get and he could play....while his doctors claimed they needed to know more before determining if he could do more damage (based on speculation and reports that we know of....sure there is a lot more in the details). CP3 has tight hamstrings....he has had them for years. Like I said, if there is a real injury, you can get a doctor to say you should not play.....but I am not sure you can get a reputable doctor to commit fraud by claiming there is an injury that does not exist. There is a basic timeline for hamstrings to heal.....unless someone could come up with some other diagnosis, he could only milk that for so long.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Kawhi had an injury, I doubt anyone claimed that was not accurate....they all knew there was a problem with his quad. Team doctors thought it was healed as good as it was going to get and he could play....while his doctors claimed they needed to know more before determining if he could do more damage (based on speculation and reports that we know of....sure there is a lot more in the details). CP3 has tight hamstrings....he has had them for years. Like I said, if there is a real injury, you can get a doctor to say you should not play.....but I am not sure you can get a reputable doctor to commit fraud by claiming there is an injury that does not exist. There is a basic timeline for hamstrings to heal.....unless someone could come up with some other diagnosis, he could only milk that for so long.

San Antonio was pushing the story that Kawhi can play. At the end of the day it's up to the player.
Look at Lonzo, he missed waaaaaaay more time then his injury timetables. Players have the final say on their body.
But none of this matters with CP3. Since he's apparently willing to play for a loser. That's something I genuinely didn't see coming.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

San Antonio was pushing the story that Kawhi can play. At the end of the day it's up to the player.
Look at Lonzo, he missed waaaaaaay more time then his injury timetables. Players have the final say on their body.
But none of this matters with CP3. Since he's apparently willing to play for a loser. That's something I genuinely didn't see coming.

CP3 and LeBron were supposed to be the driving forces in the CBA rule change from Over 36 to Over 38. To me that signals that money is very important to them and that is why I am not surprised that CP3 appears to be unwilling to give back a huge amount in a buyout.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
A year later they were told by another icon in James that they are not worthy, the media criticized their inconsistency and fans pushed them out the door at all costs for the new shiny toy.

LBJ praised Zo and BI for their on court play. We traded them for an all-NBA/HOF trajectory player. It's not that LBJ thought they were chumps.

It still resolves to a message that they weren't considered good enough to be able to get the job done in LA which has to sting.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
A year later they were told by another icon in James that they are not worthy, the media criticized their inconsistency and fans pushed them out the door at all costs for the new shiny toy.

LBJ praised Zo and BI for their on court play. We traded them for an all-NBA/HOF trajectory player. It's not that LBJ thought they were chumps.

It still resolves to a message that they weren't considered good enough to be able to get the job done in LA which has to sting.

They weren't, which is why they were so undervalued as trade pieces.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

They weren't, which is why they were so undervalued as trade pieces.

I understand and agree.

I was posting in regards to the impact that the trade had on them mentally.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Pureshot77 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's weird b/c when DLO was traded, a lot of folks were "who cares about a non Laker." Now we have some of the same folks saying how they will watch Pels game to check on our former YUTES.

I have no problem with that. But over time, I lost interest in following DLO's games and just focused on my Lakers. It stings for a while but you'll get over it. I wish them the best but we have a squad now.

It is funny how I had little interest in seeing Russell as a Net. I was not a big fan when he was a Laker due to my perception of his immaturity while here.

That being said, I will likely take note of when Warrior games are on to see him in that mix. But in all honesty I would be unlikely to be as interested if he gets traded to Minny before the season.

Apparently I'm a strange dude in my viewership.

As EPAK said, it's based on why you have an invested stake in a player. Some just hated DLO so that travelled (or didn't) with him. Same with our YUTES today. It's strange and sad to see them in Pels uniforms. That press conference looked like a hostage video. Clearly guys trying to be happy (or in the case of BI, not) when they were pulled out of the LA basketball mecca.

Lets not overlook they were young men living a dream. A year ago they were being told by an idol in Magic that they were the Laker future and they needed to earn their way into the rafters. Heady stuff.

Another example of the instability and chaos created by the Lakers FO changing plans mid stride...again. Business as usual for a struggling franchise.

I'm hoping they have it right this time around. Only time will tell how successful and how long this current plan can/will be sustained. This plan is a must win now proposal. No time or excuses for anything else.

Blake Griffin was being lauded as a Clipper legend and was in turn traded for a "shiny new toy". At the time, would you also have characterized this indicating instability and chaos in their FO or was that just part of executing the business side of the NBA?

I did and still do think the Clippers FO should be characterized as unstable for hyping up a Griffin signing to him and their fans only to change plans and trade him away a year later.

Do you think that Griffin was thrilled with the business side of the NBA? Or that he would have signed knowing what was coming?

Most around here used that Griffin move as a main reason for Leonard not trusting or choosing the Clippers just a couple weeks ago.

Apparently I'm an old fart that covets team building and character over the new NBA of annual fantasy rosters and bottom line.

Just for the record, I also think that what Morris, Jordan and Boozer did in breaking verbal agreements is a scumbag move too. Or players quitting on their teams for personal reasons. Character counts.

I respect your opinion. I just find it hard to reconcile what you've indicated here as a "low character move" on the part of the Clippers in moving Griffin with all the love their FO is getting now. There was even a Jerry West piece on them being "the best organization" he has been a part of.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Pureshot77 wrote:
Pureshot77 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's weird b/c when DLO was traded, a lot of folks were "who cares about a non Laker." Now we have some of the same folks saying how they will watch Pels game to check on our former YUTES.

I have no problem with that. But over time, I lost interest in following DLO's games and just focused on my Lakers. It stings for a while but you'll get over it. I wish them the best but we have a squad now.

It is funny how I had little interest in seeing Russell as a Net. I was not a big fan when he was a Laker due to my perception of his immaturity while here.

That being said, I will likely take note of when Warrior games are on to see him in that mix. But in all honesty I would be unlikely to be as interested if he gets traded to Minny before the season.

Apparently I'm a strange dude in my viewership.

As EPAK said, it's based on why you have an invested stake in a player. Some just hated DLO so that travelled (or didn't) with him. Same with our YUTES today. It's strange and sad to see them in Pels uniforms. That press conference looked like a hostage video. Clearly guys trying to be happy (or in the case of BI, not) when they were pulled out of the LA basketball mecca.

Lets not overlook they were young men living a dream. A year ago they were being told by an idol in Magic that they were the Laker future and they needed to earn their way into the rafters. Heady stuff.

Another example of the instability and chaos created by the Lakers FO changing plans mid stride...again. Business as usual for a struggling franchise.

I'm hoping they have it right this time around. Only time will tell how successful and how long this current plan can/will be sustained. This plan is a must win now proposal. No time or excuses for anything else.

Blake Griffin was being lauded as a Clipper legend and was in turn traded for a "shiny new toy". At the time, would you also have characterized this indicating instability and chaos in their FO or was that just part of executing the business side of the NBA?

I did and still do think the Clippers FO should be characterized as unstable for hyping up a Griffin signing to him and their fans only to change plans and trade him away a year later.

Do you think that Griffin was thrilled with the business side of the NBA? Or that he would have signed knowing what was coming?

Most around here used that Griffin move as a main reason for Leonard not trusting or choosing the Clippers just a couple weeks ago.

Apparently I'm an old fart that covets team building and character over the new NBA of annual fantasy rosters and bottom line.

Just for the record, I also think that what Morris, Jordan and Boozer did in breaking verbal agreements is a scumbag move too. Or players quitting on their teams for personal reasons. Character counts.

I respect your opinion. I just find it hard to reconcile what you've indicated here as a "low character move" on the part of the Clippers in moving Griffin with all the love their FO is getting now. There was even a Jerry West piece on them being "the best organization" he has been a part of.

Pay enough money to the media and they'll say whatever you want them to. The Clippers have figured this out...but what they haven't figured out is how to get out of the 2nd round or that you can't buy your way into the hearts of Laker Fans that dominate the city they call home.

They got #2...good for them.
They gave up WAY more than we did for PG...ok, nothing could go wrong with that.
They have a good team on paper and so do we...when the games actually count we'll see how our roster stacks up against theirs and all of these paid for narratives wont mean jack (bleep) nothing.

#BannersOverBillboards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3624, 3625, 3626 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3625 of 8560
Jump to: