OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2289, 2290, 2291 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LFAN4LIFE wrote:
KAWHI UPDATE....

Quote:
Kawhi and the Clippers have a meeting "tentatively scheduled" for July 2nd, per Frank Isola

if true....not good at all unless we are scheduled for July 1st.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
The idiots over at the Lakers subreddit want to pay Seth (bleep) Curry $8+ million per year

LG can get kinda wild but never that ridiculous.

I think Bullock has the higher upside for us next season. He has a chance to be as good of a shooter as Steph, and he's a better defender, passable at the least. Steph shouldn't get more than 6M but you never know. I rather have Bullock for 4, and he could just be a minimum

seth might be the better defender, tho

No way I agree with that. Seth can only play avg defense against his brother. I wouldn't pay more than vet min for him. Even at room MLE we could do better.

"room MLE" isn't a thing.

Bullock is a fake defender.

Saying "Room MLE" is an abbreviated way of saying "Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams" as outlined in the CBA. Here's the relevant portion on page 206: https://i.imgur.com/xPFI2KM.png

Here's a HoopsHype article breaking down the three kinds of MLEs available and using the same verbiage:

Quote:
Room Mid-Level Exception ($2.898 million in 2016-17):

“Room” is the lowest of the three mid-level exceptions and available to teams that are under the cap enough to lose the more valuable exceptions. The room exception is also shorter in terms of maximum years, and players can only be signed up to two years.

So yes, it is a thing.

(bleep) garbage verbiage. You are technically correct, the best kind of correct. I concede, I was wrong.

Reggie Bullock is a fake defender.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

But also to add to my response to you BVH. when the advanced stats are that low.. yea you can't even ballpark a plausibility that he's solid there
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LFAN4LIFE wrote:
KAWHI UPDATE....

Quote:
Kawhi and the Clippers have a meeting "tentatively scheduled" for July 2nd, per Frank Isola

if true....not good at all unless we are scheduled for July 1st.

not worried at all.

Lebron + AD
Lakers
Los Angeles

if he still picks Clippers over raptors/Lakers, then meh.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
The idiots over at the Lakers subreddit want to pay Seth (bleep) Curry $8+ million per year

I think Bullock has the higher upside for us next season. He has a chance to be as good of a shooter as Steph, and he's a better defender, passable at the least. Steph shouldn't get more than 6M but you never know. I rather have Bullock for 4, and he could just be a minimum

really? I don't remember Bullock being a bad defender but I key in on certain players and don't watch others. I remember his defense against Harden being admirable

Idk...

Link

Find Seth Curry and Reggie Bullock on that list.

eeek. still so hard to suss out the legitimacy of defensive analytics

Agreed, but most of us make definitive opinions about a player's defense based on...?

right right. there's really no accurate way to pinpoint a player's defense other than a intelligent viewer really honing in on that player's every possession.lol.
just, when a stat has Klay Thompson miles below Seth Curry on defense. it's tough. I'd like to think Klay was at least an average defender (overrated but average), and Seth was slightly below average at best. Some of the rankings are just so nuts, you don't know where to take a large grain of salt, where to take a small grain, and where you should view it as accurate.
I was looking at PIPM yesterday and Nurkic is like the 9th ranked player in the league, above Bron; and Kawhi is like 15tth..with an expected 19th next season. How do I ingest these stats?

Try to contextualize them. If I have a big that seems to be overrated, maybe that stat overrates bigs vis-a-vis wings?

But why couldn't a guard like Seth Curry be better defensively this year than a guard like Klay Thompson?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:

Saying "Room MLE" is an abbreviated way of saying "Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams" as outlined in the CBA. Here's the relevant portion on page 206: https://i.imgur.com/xPFI2KM.png

Here's a HoopsHype article breaking down the three kinds of MLEs available and using the same verbiage:

Quote:

“Room” is the lowest of the three mid-level exceptions and available to teams that are under the cap enough to lose the more valuable exceptions. The room exception is also shorter in terms of maximum years, and players can only be signed up to two years.

So yes, it is a thing.

(bleep) garbage verbiage. You are technically correct, the best kind of correct. I concede, I was wrong.

Haha, why? It's short and sweet. Sure beats having to type out "Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams" especially when we're posting our desired rosters.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
But also to add to my response to you BVH. when the advanced stats are that low.. yea you can't even ballpark a plausibility that he's solid there

not sure I agree with the logic because DRPM often has extreme outliers at the top of its rankings, therefore would that not suggest there would likely be extreme outliers at the bottom of its rankings?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Giannis won MVP
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:

Quote:

So yes, it is a thing.

Haha, why? It's short and sweet. Sure beats having to type out "Mid-Level Salary Exception for Room Teams" especially when we're posting our desired rosters.

I mean, what does mid-level mean anymore? It's lost all meaning if both under the cap and over the cap teams have MLEs. It's like Big Bird (bleep) Kermit the Frog.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Giannis won MVP

Clearly Anthony Davis is better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Giannis won MVP

Amazing. What an amazing life story. One of my favorite nba players.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

not sure I agree with the logic because DRPM often has extreme outliers at the top of its rankings, therefore would that not suggest there would likely be extreme outliers at the bottom of its rankings?

Or that none of us have any conception of what good defense is but think we do.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

really? I don't remember Bullock being a bad defender but I key in on certain players and don't watch others. I remember his defense against Harden being admirable

Idk...

Link

Find Seth Curry and Reggie Bullock on that list.

eeek. still so hard to suss out the legitimacy of defensive analytics

Agreed, but most of us make definitive opinions about a player's defense based on...?

right right. there's really no accurate way to pinpoint a player's defense other than a intelligent viewer really honing in on that player's every possession.lol.
just, when a stat has Klay Thompson miles below Seth Curry on defense. it's tough. I'd like to think Klay was at least an average defender (overrated but average), and Seth was slightly below average at best. Some of the rankings are just so nuts, you don't know where to take a large grain of salt, where to take a small grain, and where you should view it as accurate.
I was looking at PIPM yesterday and Nurkic is like the 9th ranked player in the league, above Bron; and Kawhi is like 15tth..with an expected 19th next season. How do I ingest these stats?

Try to contextualize them. If I have a big that seems to be overrated, maybe that stat overrates bigs vis-a-vis wings?

But why couldn't a guard like Seth Curry be better defensively this year than a guard like Klay Thompson?

yea I forgot that golden analytics rule that bigs get overrated. I'm sure there will be new contextual law that has to be applied so these things make more sense...
Yea Thompson could be in more positions to get 'attacked' with his PT and role on the team; vs Seth.
Idk man. it's questionable context that eyes could cement the value of.
I just want a super reliable advanced stat.. is it BPM? is it RPM... idk man. and then all the grain of salt sizes. it's so much... to value as much as people do. not my lane.

I like lineup data and on-ball defensive FG % more.

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Giannis won MVP

AD only played 51 games....could not be considered.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm on the DLo over Brogdon team... but it is impressive the company that he's in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50%E2%80%9340%E2%80%9390_club

It is notable that his playoff numbers are significantly lower though.

Obviously I wouldn't be upset if we signed him... but we need to get DRose or Rondo... or some other low cost facilitator to balance the lack of playmaking if we signed him. Unless Caruso immediately blossoms into a full fledged rotation or starter... Brogdon's usefulness would be limited by not having a traditional point guard.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Giannis won MVP

Well, I'm sure AD will win MVP next season then.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

Bullock's defense was horrifically bad wearing purple 'n gold. I have zero desire to see him come back next season, especially since his supposed stregnth of a 3-point shot was so unreliable.

Muscala on the other hand surprised me with how well he stayed in front of guards on pick and roll switches. He even became better at the three on our team (after he healed up) as the season wore on.

I'd take Kevon Looney as a solid role playing big if a third top tier signing doesn't work out (and Bropez goes somewhere else). If that also doesn't come together, I wouldn't be mad if we signed Muscala for a decent price at that slot.

Extra: Brogdon >> DLo for what we need (defense + consistent shot% + low ego). I'd try to outbid the Bucks for him if we don't get Kawhi and resign ourselves to improving our depth.

Last edited by joeblow on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

you may not, but I am good
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I'm on the DLo over Brogdon team... but it is impressive the company that he's in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50%E2%80%9340%E2%80%9390_club

It is notable that his playoff numbers are significantly lower though.

Obviously I wouldn't be upset if we signed him... but we need to get DRose or Rondo... or some other low cost facilitator to balance the lack of playmaking if we signed him. Unless Caruso immediately blossoms into a full fledged rotation or starter... Brogdon's usefulness would be limited by not having a traditional point guard.

Brogdon is a lot better. Rather have him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I know this isn't even the analytic we're talking about, but most analytic people like this one - PIPM. Where Kawhi has a 19th expected PIPM next year, and Tobias has 140th..
.. just throw the stat out. anyone who references it is also clinging to it for weird reasons with this data.
And yes I get that Kawhi didn't have a great defensive reg szn, and Tobias is not a top 30 player. But.. still, throw the stat out
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

you may not, but I am good

Of course.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I know this isn't even the analytic we're talking about, but most analytic people like this one - PIPM. Where Kawhi has a 19th expected PIPM next year, and Tobias has 140th..
.. just throw the stat out. anyone who references it is also clinging to it for weird reasons with this data.
And yes I get that Kawhi didn't have a great defensive reg szn, and Tobias is not a top 30 player. But.. still, throw the stat out

Or Tobias Harris is useless.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Giannis won MVP

someone on television recently predicted that....do not recall who it was....someone on ESPN or FS1 morning shows. AD was 3rd in voting last season (17-18).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Giannis won MVP

someone on television recently predicted that....do not recall who it was....someone on ESPN or FS1 morning shows. AD was 3rd in voting last season (17-18).

Then he should win MVP next season if he was third in voting last season. That's how these things work
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think that was the one created by someone @ Nylon Calculus. Never really looked at it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2289, 2290, 2291 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 2290 of 8560
Jump to: