OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1235, 1236, 1237 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
"Griff was never going to trade AD," a rival general manager told Bleacher Report on Tuesday night, referring to David Griffin, the Pelicans' new executive vice president of basketball operations. "That's why he got the job."

Two other executives in the league confirmed that theory to B/R. One also confirmed a report by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that Griffin spent the hours after the lottery scouring the league for players to pair with Davis, not seeking scenarios to trade him.

I just want this to be over. Keep the pick, fill out the roster and keep building. I would be ok with just signing Vucevic and some vets to fill out the roster and see what we can do.

I think its been over actually.. Some Lakers fans are like that guy that keeps buzzing around the hot chick that's clearly not interested.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I’m not sure why you would bring up KL/PG, those are examples of exactly what not to do if you want to get the best deal for the player you’re trading(the pacers got lucky with Oladipo). Also, AD’s value is significantly higher than both Leonard and Paul at the time they were traded, which means it will take a lot more assests to get him, hence the smaller market. So you’re really comparing apples to oranges here. Tell me what are these dark horse teams that you speak of who have enough assets to trade for AD again?

They are apples to apples comparisons. We tried to trade for each of these guys and were rebuffed. KL IMO is a better player than AD, and PG is no slouch.

Your point about a restricted market is false. The market was artificially restricted when we were the only ones trading for AD b/c the Celts couldn't at the trade deadline. Now you have MORE teams able to join the fray.

I ask you again, start rattling off all the teams not named the Lakers that have enough assets to trade for Davis and that he would want to play for said teams, I’m listening.

Clippers
Knicks
Portland (my darkhorse, pair Dame/AD together, trade CJ)

Just to name a few.
Not being the Lakers will be a great leg up for them.

1) This is hilarious, how are the Knicks a “dark horse” lolz they’re our MAIN competition for AD in case you didn’t notice.

2) Blazers and Clippers don’t have better assets than the Knicks/Celtics by a wide margin, especially when you consider that Pelicans are in rebuild mode.

You clearly didn't even read my post. I have Portland as the darkhorse.

So you're admitting at least the Knicks/Celts are now officially part of the trading crew when it was just the Lakers in February?

I mean you're arguing against yourself and for me.

Dude, my first post in the thread was explaining that the whole market for AD was basically Lakers/Knicks/Celtics, and that if you eliminate one of those teams because of spite(Lakers), you’re down to 2, and depending on what happens in free agency, that leverage could get even worse. Either you’re reading comprehension is terrible or you’re just trolling, because nobody in their right mind would think the Knicks are a “dark horse” team when they’re obviously very much in play for Davis. Now if you think that a two team market(possibly one) is a lot, then I don’t know what to tell you.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
"Griff was never going to trade AD," a rival general manager told Bleacher Report on Tuesday night, referring to David Griffin, the Pelicans' new executive vice president of basketball operations. "That's why he got the job."

Two other executives in the league confirmed that theory to B/R. One also confirmed a report by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that Griffin spent the hours after the lottery scouring the league for players to pair with Davis, not seeking scenarios to trade him.

Good stuff.
I mean that's pretty much a given right?
Let AD play with Jrue and Zion. And hope for a Toronto-like year where they do well and hope AD changes his mind.

If at the trade deadline, the team sucks and AD still wants out, there will still be suitors. But perhaps a smaller haul.

Sounds like the prudent thing to do..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dude, my first post in the thread was explaining that the whole market for AD was basically Lakers/Knicks/Celtics, and that if you eliminate one of those teams because of spite(Lakers), you’re down to 2, and depending on what happens in free agency, that leverage could get even worse. Either you’re reading comprehension is terrible or you’re just trolling, because nobody in their right mind would think the Knicks are a “dark horse” team when they’re obviously very much in play for Davis. Now if you think that a two team market(possibly one) is a lot, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Look at my post. I clearly mark Portland (not the Knicks) as a "darkhorse" team. Are you literally trolling me?

The market is way more than 2-3 teams. I don't understand how you think otherwise.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:

Not sure the same applies here. Griff most certainly only takes that job if he’s assured of 100% autonomy over the AD situation. No way someone of his caliber takes that job if ownership tells him “to the Lakers over our dead bodies.” He’ll take the best deal.

I don’t see Loomis giving 100% autonomy to anybody, and I doubt Griff was highly regarded enough to get that from him. I’d see a Jerry West or something....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Rubin wrote:

Not sure the same applies here. Griff most certainly only takes that job if he’s assured of 100% autonomy over the AD situation. No way someone of his caliber takes that job if ownership tells him “to the Lakers over our dead bodies.” He’ll take the best deal.

I don’t see Loomis giving 100% autonomy to anybody, and I doubt Griff was highly regarded enough to get that from him. I’d see a Jerry West or something....

Yeah. As we saw even with the CP3 Veto, there is no such thing as 100% autonomy for a GM.

It's the same owner who didn't like the Lakers Godfather offer. So if she still doesn't like it, having a new GM is just cosmetic.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Link to the quotes..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836292-stunning-nba-lottery-swings-anthony-davis-sweepstakes-in-pelicans-favor
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Look at my post. I clearly mark Portland (not the Knicks) as a "darkhorse" team. Are you literally trolling me?

The market is way more than 2-3 teams. I don't understand how you think otherwise.

Yeah Knicks and Celtics is “way more than 2-3 teams”, cool story bro.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
The Knicks are not a “dark horse” team in the AD sweepstakes, they along with the Celtics are our main competition, reading comprehension is key.

I hadn't read the full chain of posts because of where the post I quoted started off. Having read through, I agree with this post below. I'm not really sure why the two of you are debating this so fervently though... because the outcome doesn't seem favorable for the Lakers either way (i.e., whether it's just 2-3 teams with assets bidding against each other... or whether there's a whole host of teams involved).

PS: My comprehension abilities are just fine, thank you.

Intlakeshow wrote:
The problem with this line of thinking is that the market for AD is not that big, meaning there aren’t too many teams with enough assets to get a deal done. If the Lakers sign and max, Kyrie leaves the Celtics, and NY gets KD and another max (a combination which looks to have better than 50% odds of happening at this point), then the Pels are in serious trouble because their leverage would be completely gone. If they want the best package for AD, they don’t have the luxury of completely eliminating a team from what is already a limited market in the first place.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am; edited 6 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Since the Bulls value Lonzo Ball I would definitely trade him for the 7th pick if it’s content on a AD trade going down

4th pick and 7th pick >>> 3rd pick
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I'm glad you finally acknowledged that I didn't say the Knicks were a "darkhorse."

You are literally creating fictional situations and passing them off as facts.

My assertion that there are more teams that will bid for AD than there were at the deadline is factually true. There will be many more than 2-3 teams that bid for him, even if you, self-appointed arbiter of trades, don't think the offers are great.

I know for sure we start with a thumb against us on the scales for just being the Lakers. Ask how it went with the KL/PG/AD-Feb 2019 trade talks.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Since the Bulls value Lonzo Ball I would definitely trade him for the 7th pick if it’s content on a AD trade going down

I'm against the trade either way, but would you say:

4th pick + Lonzo < 4th pick + 7th pick?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I'm against the trade either way, but would you say:

4th pick + Lonzo < 4th pick + 7th pick?

yep
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Because people think the Knicks have a more attractive package
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
The Knicks are not a “dark horse” team in the AD sweepstakes, they along with the Celtics are our main competition, reading comprehension is key.

I hadn't read the full chain of posts because of where the post I quoted started off. Having read through, I agree with this post below. I'm not really sure why the two of you are debating this so fervently though... because the outcome doesn't seem favorable for the Lakers either way (i.e., whether it's just 2-3 teams with assets bidding against each other... or whether there's a whole host of teams involved).

Intlakeshow wrote:
The problem with this line of thinking is that the market for AD is not that big, meaning there aren’t too many teams with enough assets to get a deal done. If the Lakers sign and max, Kyrie leaves the Celtics, and NY gets KD and another max (a combination which looks to have better than 50% odds of happening at this point), then the Pels are in serious trouble because their leverage would be completely gone. If they want the best package for AD, they don’t have the luxury of completely eliminating a team from what is already a limited market in the first place.

If the Lakers sign a max, then the threat of AD to Lakers in 2020 as a FA disappears. That leverage point evaporates. So that actually is in favor of the non-Lakers teams then.

I simply used the KL/PG points to illustrate: 1) there are always dark horse random teams that bid for stars (and got them); 2) teams have actively been against the Lakers getting a star via trade.

Not sure why this poster is so against these two self-evident points.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I'm glad you finally acknowledged that I didn't say the Knicks were a "darkhorse."

My assertion that there are more teams that will bid for AD than there were at the deadline is factually true. There will be many more than 2-3 teams that bid for him, even if you, self-appointed arbiter of trades, don't think the offers are great.

I know for sure we start with a thumb against us on the scales for just being the Lakers. Ask how it went with the KL/PG/AD-Feb 2019 trade talks.

Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

Intlakeshow wrote:

Cool, at least you admit that you didn’t read the first post instead of trying to switch the goal posts like the other dude. You’re right that is very likely that we don’t get AD, but my point is more about the Pelicans not having that much leverage as supposed to us having all of it. Good day sir.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

In the end, it may just save the Lakers from offering up too many assets in a trade (and I love AD for the record). We may get a 2nd max FA, and keep BI/Lonzo/4th pick/Kuz/Hart, et. al. for a deeper team, and a chance to opportunistically trade later down the road.

I think the Pels trade angle may be asking to be strung along again as leverage when the deal is being catered to non Lakers team. We all know the Lakers leverage angle that is used against us by FAs and trade situations alike.

We should not feel it's AD or bust b/c it really isn't.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
0514 wrote:
Windhorst

“think Knicks are still in position if they want to trade for AD. For better or worse for LAL fans this draft breaks at 3. Wonderful day for LAL to move up from 11 to 4. W/ the 4th pick the Pels still dont like that trade w/ the LAL & still dont wanna do businnes w/ the LAL.”

I totally get that, but also:

Ingram/Kuzma/Hart/Wagner beats Robinson/Trier/DSJ/Knox IMO

I kinda think Pels try to keep AD

I don't think our offer there clearly wins over what the Knicks would most likely give TBH:

Ntilikina: $4,855,800
Smith Jr: $4,463,640
Knox: $4,380,120
Robinson: $1,559,712
#3 pick * 1.2: $6,560,640
-------------------------
Total = $21,819,912

The Pels will have a fully rebuilt team, with 8 young lottery picks... and Jrue and Robinson rounding them off to 10.

Payton / Smith
Jrue / Ntilikina
Barrett / Knox
Zion / Randle
Okafor / Robinson

+ Moore, Hill, Kenrich, etc.

If you were a Pels fan, wouldn't you be happy with that roster?

And the Knicks are left with one player, AD. If they are able to sign Durant and Kyrie, then yeah, but when teams bank on shiz like this, is when they go down. You cannot bank on players coming your way on their own volition.

And Dolan still sucks, I find it amusing how everyone is down and Jeannie and say nobody will play here because she is such a cluster F, but they are knocking on Dolan's door with arms open.

If this isn't a con job and a hack towards the Buss family for simply being successful, then what is?? F every other NBA owner for screwing with us. Time to play some hard ball back Jeannie. F these people, beat their asses.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Don't we have to trade for AD after we sign a max FA to make the cap space work?

Yes

To sign the max free agent, the cap space has to absolutely and positively has to be available.

This I understand, but I also think we can't make salaries work, based on 18-19 season. The new salaries don't kick in until July 1. Any trades being made now are based on 18-19 salaries.

What is the salary weight of the 4th pick in a draft day trade? It's 0, correct?
So if you traded 4th pick, Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart and Wagner. You still wouldn't be able to match AD's contract. I don't see a way around it. You're still a little short, right? Because you can't trade KCP's contract or Lance's or any impending UFA. Even if we trade everyone eligible outside of LBJ, we can't make the salaries work on draft day. Am I correct in that assumption?

Now on to the other issue. I much rather trade for Anthony Davis first and the go out and get a free agent. I think if you have Lebron, and AD, a free agent would be willing to take less than the max and do a 1+1 deal. I also think the market for AD will be so strong, that unless you strike this deal fast, you're going to be stuck dealing with something when your attention should be on free agency. This is why I understood why Magic was so aggressive. He understood AD's importance regarding free agents.

The expected sequence would be to have a verbal/handshake agreement for a Davis (or Beal) trade at the time of the draft, but to be completed 30 days after the #4 pick has signed a contract so that he can be counted as part of the outgoing salary.

The Love - Wiggins trade was verbally agreed to in July and completed in August because Cleveland needed to have Wiggins be part of the outgoing salary to help offset/counter the incoming salary of Love. A trade for Davis would be much the same with it being better for the #4 pick to have a signed contract so that he can count as actual salary in a trade instead of just sending out the rights to a drafted player needing a contract.

During the period between the draft and the actual trade for Davis (or Beal) would be when the Lakers would conduct other business such as signing a max free agent.

What if the Pels pull out and we are stuck picking a player for them we didn't want? (and the ensuing drama that would unfold would be a nightmare)

Exactly, I would NOT trust the Pelicans to not screw us in this scenario. If anything, I would want to put the screws to them, make them an offer they cannot refuse, string it out so they lose out on other deals and then withdraw the offer. F them!!! I will NEVER want to do business with them ever again and I hope Zion bails ASAP. Did I say, F them yet?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

I ask you again, start rattling off all the teams not named the Lakers that have enough assets to trade for Davis and that he would want to play for, I’m listening.

I won't rattle off a list of teams, because all it takes is 1. From the previous page...

LAL1947 wrote:

I don't think our offer there clearly wins over what the Knicks would most likely give TBH:

Ntilikina: $4,855,800
Smith Jr: $4,463,640
Knox: $4,380,120
Robinson: $1,559,712
#3 pick * 1.2: $6,560,640
-------------------------
Total = $21,819,912

The Pels will have a fully rebuilt team, with 8 young lottery picks... and Jrue and Robinson rounding them off to 10.

Payton / Smith
Jrue / Ntilikina
Barrett / Knox
Zion / Randle
Okafor / Robinson

+ Moore, Hill, Kenrich, etc.

If you were a Pels fan, wouldn't you be happy with that roster?

If the above is what the Knicks are actually willing to part with, we're going to have to offer something more. I also think he'd stay in NY if KD and Kyrie were there with him.

Yes, take your own advice, no one posted that the Knicks are a dark horse. Yinona posted that the Blazers are.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

You’re too worried about being right to actually read why I’m writing. I have no idea where the trade deadline argument came from since I was never comparing the two. I had already mentioned the Knicks and Celtics to which you responded that there’s other dark horse teams out there, and after I asked you to named them, you listed the Knicks. It’s not my fault your reading comprehension sucks. Self appointed arbiter of trades? I, unlike you, can have a disagreement with someone without moving the goalposts and saying dumb stuff like this, you obviously get your feelings hurt easily so bye.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
trablos wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Don't we have to trade for AD after we sign a max FA to make the cap space work?

Yes

To sign the max free agent, the cap space has to absolutely and positively has to be available.

This I understand, but I also think we can't make salaries work, based on 18-19 season. The new salaries don't kick in until July 1. Any trades being made now are based on 18-19 salaries.

What is the salary weight of the 4th pick in a draft day trade? It's 0, correct?
So if you traded 4th pick, Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart and Wagner. You still wouldn't be able to match AD's contract. I don't see a way around it. You're still a little short, right? Because you can't trade KCP's contract or Lance's or any impending UFA. Even if we trade everyone eligible outside of LBJ, we can't make the salaries work on draft day. Am I correct in that assumption?

Now on to the other issue. I much rather trade for Anthony Davis first and the go out and get a free agent. I think if you have Lebron, and AD, a free agent would be willing to take less than the max and do a 1+1 deal. I also think the market for AD will be so strong, that unless you strike this deal fast, you're going to be stuck dealing with something when your attention should be on free agency. This is why I understood why Magic was so aggressive. He understood AD's importance regarding free agents.

The expected sequence would be to have a verbal/handshake agreement for a Davis (or Beal) trade at the time of the draft, but to be completed 30 days after the #4 pick has signed a contract so that he can be counted as part of the outgoing salary.

The Love - Wiggins trade was verbally agreed to in July and completed in August because Cleveland needed to have Wiggins be part of the outgoing salary to help offset/counter the incoming salary of Love. A trade for Davis would be much the same with it being better for the #4 pick to have a signed contract so that he can count as actual salary in a trade instead of just sending out the rights to a drafted player needing a contract.

During the period between the draft and the actual trade for Davis (or Beal) would be when the Lakers would conduct other business such as signing a max free agent.

What if the Pels pull out and we are stuck picking a player for them we didn't want? (and the ensuing drama that would unfold would be a nightmare)

Exactly, I would NOT trust the Pelicans to not screw us in this scenario. If anything, I would want to put the screws to them, make them an offer they cannot refuse, string it out so they lose out on other deals and then withdraw the offer. F them!!! I will NEVER want to do business with them ever again and I hope Zion bails ASAP. Did I say, F them yet?

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Because people think the Knicks have a more attractive package

My confusion is with you thinking 7 is a better asset than Zo. I think very few FOs agree.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1235, 1236, 1237 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 1236 of 8560
Jump to: