OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 858, 859, 860 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

To me it is looking like an old Kobe scenario all over again
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm beginning to think it will be Jimmy Butler.

I think it will be fine for the first 2 years, but when Jimmy hits age 32-33 on that deal, and LBJ will be what, 36-37, and combined they'll make nearly 80m.

In that case we may have AD by then and if not we’ll have the young core still. I’m fine with that.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think it will be fine for the first 2 years, but when Jimmy hits age 32-33 on that deal, and LBJ will be what, 36-37, and combined they'll make nearly 80m.

5 yr max in Philly
Contender in Philly

Why is he coming here?

I'm actually not confident they offer him a 5 year max.

I think they'd rather pay a younger/cheaper Tobias.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

that jimmy butler contract could be one of the worst in the league by its final years

and the upside simply is not big enough to outweigh that possibility
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Why did we trade Zubac, if Chandler is injured?
Magic and Rob want to put all our hopes in Javale?

I'm still not understanding this trade. Are we doing an agent a solid? Has Rob or anyone in the Lakers staff commented about this bizarre trade?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

5 yr max in Philly
Contender in Philly

Why is he coming here?

I'm actually not confident they offer him a 5 year max.

I think they'd rather pay a younger/cheaper Tobias.

I think that's why they got him.

It's unquestionably Embiid's team. I don't think Jimmy wants that power struggle with him and Embiid, plus Simmons. It's a lot.

Tobias is pretty low key and a good #3 guy (#2 scoring option).
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

ForumBlueFrank wrote:

I'm still not understanding this trade. Are we doing an agent a solid? Has Rob or anyone in the Lakers staff commented about this bizarre trade?

the three main points in favor of the trade:

- we weren't going to re-sign zubac anyway and so we might as well get something for him now

- muscala is a better shooter than zubac

- this is a weak point because we could have just waived beasley but the trade did free up a roster slot
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:

- we weren't going to re-sign zubac anyway and so we might as well get something for him now

- this is a weak point because we could have just waived beasley but the trade did free up a roster slot

why were we not resigning Zubac? his cap hold was really low.
AQuestSupreme
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

why do you think Butler wants to come to LA?

He has always wanted to come to LA from what I've read.

Remember he first leaked that he wanted to be traded to the Clippers (when he was on Minny)?

Lakers may miss out on top FAs, and teams may not want to risk Jimmy on their team. That may leave them as the last two kids at a dance without a partner.

Jimmy had a list of teams, and the Lakers were not on it.

To me, that suggests a lack of interest in playing with Lebron. How do you choose the Clippers over the Lakers, if not for lack of interest in the Lebron-Circus?

Perhaps people have downplayed KD's point about players not wanting to be a part of the toxic environment, but I think they should reconsider what he said. Obviously that does not go for every player, because AD was interested, but it is very interesting that PG wanted to play for the Lakers, but opted for .... OKC? We can say Lebron hadn't signed yet, but the idea that Lebron would come to LA was very much public well before he made his decision. Him being an NBA player, he may have been privy to inside information, and decided to stay in OKC against going to play with Lebron..

Think about the fact that the dude chose to play with Westbrook over a guy some consider the GOAT. A guy that had been to the Finals eight straight times was less desirable than Westbrook, whose considered a headcase and a bad teammate by some people.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
To me, that suggests a lack of interest in playing with Lebron. How do you choose the Clippers over the Lakers, if not for lack of interest in the Lebron-Circus?

IIRC there were some cap issues at the time he was traded b/c Lakers couldn't trade salary matchers in KCP/Lance/Rondo, etc. until 12/15. Butler was traded 11/12/18 and Minny felt that the situation was so dire and bad they had to do it.

So Lakers could not have traded for him, ergo the list of teams he included were ones that tradeable assets at the time.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:

Curious about the "not going to re-sign Zubac anyways" theory. Why?

Because they are trying to squeeze out every dollar for landing a max FA this summer?

If they are able to convince a max FA to sign and takes up the cap. Who are they starting at Center? McGee, Chandler and Muscala are all free agents. All likely gone.

Who is the ring chasing starting center signing a vet min contract?

Another impatient blunder by an inexperienced GM.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

I think this whole nobody wants to play with Lebron rumor is a HUGE myth.
Just look at the stars Lebron played with:
Wade- still BFFs and followed him to Cleveland
Bosh- if not for medical retirement would have likely followed Lebron too
Love- never demanded a trade, still on good enough terms to have dinner with Lebron
Kyrie- aplogized to Lebron

And then all of the FAs who may not sign with the Lakers this offseason has very little to do with Lebron and most would not mind coming here at all if their initial plans didnt work out
Durant-been plotting doing his own NYK hero run well before Lebron went to Lakers
Kawhi- weird and wants to be top billed star, nothing personal against Lebron
Klay-if Warriors dont max him he would insta-join the Lakers
Kemba-if Hornets dont max him he would insta-join the Lakers
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Might as well get something for him now is such a falsehood. It only makes sense if the thing you get lasts longer than the season or provides a lot this season. Neither are true.

The real reason they did this was pettiness. They wanted to tell the pelicans that their offer becomes less and less.
AQuestSupreme
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

IIRC there were some cap issues at the time he was traded b/c Lakers couldn't trade salary matchers in KCP/Lance/Rondo, etc. until 12/15. Butler was traded 11/12/18 and Minny felt that the situation was so dire and bad they had to do it.

So Lakers could not have traded for him, ergo the list of teams he included were ones that tradeable assets at the time.

It was his list. What Minny wanted to do didn't affect his list, and you're talking about waiting a MONTH if that is where you wanted to be.

Furthermore, with Jimmy's personality, I don't think Lebron should want to play with him, because Lebron is accustomed to 'Lording' a locker room.

Jimmy Butler is not THAT guy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

AQuestSupreme wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It was his list. What Minny wanted to do didn't affect his list, and you're talking about waiting a MONTH if that is where you wanted to be.

Furthermore, with Jimmy's personality, I don't think Lebron should want to play with him, because Lebron is accustomed to 'Lording' a locker room.

Jimmy Butler is not THAT guy.

And again, I remember this distinctly b/c he wanted to be traded ASAP and had that insane incident where he was cussing out KAT/Wiggins and the team needed to make a move ASAP.

Waiting another month was not a possibility given those circumstances.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I think this whole nobody wants to play with Lebron rumor is a HUGE myth.
Just look at the stars Lebron played with:
Wade- still BFFs and followed him to Cleveland
Bosh- if not for medical retirement would have likely followed Lebron too
Love- never demanded a trade, still on good enough terms to have dinner with Lebron
Kyrie- aplogized to Lebron

Wade and Bosh were a different time. By the time Wade followed him, he had very few options....he was literally at the point Cleveland waived him to improve. Bosh was never following Lebron, he was on a long term max contract with Miami. Love has spoke openly about the difficulty of playing with Lebron after he left Cleveland....and Kyrie demanded a trade to get away from Lebron! Btw, he never apologized for demanding a trade or claimed it was a mistake.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:

idk. I don't agree with the point necessarily – I've just seen it argued in support of the trade a few times.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:

idk. I don't agree with the point necessarily – I've just seen it argued in support of the trade a few times.

I have just not understood the contradiction from those that supported the deadline trades.....the claim is we would not resign Zubac because we need every dollar of cap space to support that trade....but then claim Bullock has a low cap hold so we can resign him to support that trade.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

https://local.theonion.com/pretty-cute-watching-boston-residents-play-daily-game-o-1819574643
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

God if we sign Jimmy Butler as the 2nd max FA that'll be a disaster and disappointment.
Epic1971
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I think we have a decent shot at Kyrie. That is about it though.
I'm not buying the everyone is going to NY theory. NY is one of the few teams that has actually made just as much or more front office gaffes and draft misses than we have. If KD goes there, who says that he is that easy to play with these days? I think Kyrie considers the Lakers at least.

I'm pretty sure with Magic will at least get a sit down with Kawai. He can explain to him how He had Kareem and Worthy, etc. and show him the jerseys and trophies. Not sure it will work though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
God if we sign Jimmy Butler as the 2nd max FA that'll be a disaster and disappointment.

I think it would work for 2 years and then you're hoping that a 36-37 year old LBJ and 32 year old Jimmy will be competitive? Yikes.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

DLO said if he didn't get traded then, he would've got traded now and going through what LA is going through. Trading him was the best thing to happen to his career.... He's speaking the real. Might have to be that way with our other youth players because they are not being developed properly.

Last edited by Outspoken on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Epic1971 wrote:
I'm not buying the everyone is going to NY theory. NY is one of the few teams that has actually made just as much or more front office gaffes and draft misses than we have. If KD goes there, who says that he is that easy to play with these days? I think Kyrie considers the Lakers at least.

I'm pretty sure with Magic will at least get a sit down with Kawai. He can explain to him how He had Kareem and Worthy, etc. and show him the jerseys and trophies. Not sure it will work though.

I think KL sit down will be hilariously off kilter.

Magic: KL, give me some love. Man I'd love to have you on the team. Let me show you the rings and banners and the Lakers tradition.

KL: can I just sniff your shoes and if I like the smell I'll join. If not. That's the end of our meeting.

Magic: ok...
Epic1971
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Epic1971 wrote:

I think KL sit down will be hilariously off kilter.

Magic: KL, give me some love. Man I'd love to have you on the team. Let me show you the rings and banners and the Lakers tradition.

KL: can I just sniff your shoes and if I like the smell I'll join. If not. That's the end of our meeting.

Magic: ok...

LOL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 858, 859, 860 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 859 of 8560
Jump to: