OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 856, 857, 858 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Can someone explain to me what makes the Clippers attractive? Our young players take criticism, non of their young guys are all star talents. All serviceable and decent prospects, but media wants to make these guys out to be stars.

Also, their future first round treasure trove of picks will be a protected late first from Philly and the Miami pick, which is yet to be determined where it will land.

Billionaire owner, Jerry West, new arena, lots of cap space, Los Angeles, scrappy young team, a coach player's like, no drama.

There arena is 5 years out. All owners are wealthy. Jerry West is 80. They'll always be second fiddle. Sorry, it's like the Mets/Yankees, Mets will always be second fiddle franchise.

Clippers have come up a lot, don't get me wrong, just roster construction wise it's not like they have Embiid/Simmons. SGA is literally their best young player yet I just read an article on SI.com touting their treasure trove of talent and picks. Uh, what? But the Laker players all stink?

Jeanie's net worth minus her stake in the Lakers is 20 million... or a little more than one year of what we paid to Deng

Steve Ballmer is worth 41 billion.

Good for him, but has her net worth impeded the Lakers from making moves? All organizations operate under the confines of the cap, luxury tax, and pretty fixed player deals. Ballmer's billions isn't going to get any player more money.

Having an owner who has 2050 times the wealth of the other owner is an advantage even if there is no outright cheating. The amount he can invest into infrastructure... the respect and credibility that it brings. Most of our players are richer than Jeanie. I've always liked her but I'm not thrilled with how this is going right now.

the respect and credibility is in the brand.......are you comparing the lakers to the clippers.....i dont care how much money Ballmer has....its the clippers and it is not even in the same discussion as the lakers.

((DELETED - JMK))

Actually that's pretty funny...Just tobe clear..The Mets will never take over the Yankees...The Angels will never take over the Dodgers...and the lowly Clippers will absolutely never over take the Lakers.

add one more....the brooklyn nets will never take over the knicks...its just not done!
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
32 wrote:
PG didn't want to come here. He made up his decision long before the season ended and it had nothing to do with LBJ joining the Lakers. He was comfortable playing in OKC and playing with his bro RW.

Speculation.

Actually 32 is correct. PG not coming had nothing to do with LBJ joining the Lakers, since PG made his decision long before LBJ joined the Lakers.

That's why im happy for what Lebron James did. He wanted to be here. Even if all the rumors he wanted guys traded he is entitled to do it. He is the best player in the NBA and he choses the Lakers when nobody (superstars) likes to come & play here (see PG13).
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
We don't know that the Lakers would go over the cap under Jeanie's stewardship. They haven't been taxpayers since 2013-2014.

Even in the less punitive tax days, the Lakers were renowned for using draft picks to dump salary.

All Lebron James teams dating through Miami and his 2nd Cleveland stint were massive taxpayers.

Ballmer wouldnt even notice the type of pax payment the highest spenders make.

Meanwhile, the kind of tax Gilbert was making is enough to eat up all of the Buss family profits in a year. Does she have the authority to do that?

the last time we had to field a championship team at the cost of luxury tax, we had done that.

no idea why you get the feeling that it might be different this time.

lets wait and watch before we come to conclusions based on net worth.

I'm not concluding anything. Just pointing out what we know. The last time Lakers were taxpayers, Dr. Buss was the owner of the team and the tax rules were way less punitive. But even then...we often used picks to dump salary. And Dr. Buss didn't have to split money with 5 other people (two of whom have been cut off from actual responsibility and tried to wrest control back from Jeanie in court).

I do think it's safer to assume Ballmer will be a more willing tax payer than Jeanie (and her siblings).
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
We don't know that the Lakers would go over the cap under Jeanie's stewardship. They haven't been taxpayers since 2013-2014.

Even in the less punitive tax days, the Lakers were renowned for using draft picks to dump salary.

All Lebron James teams dating through Miami and his 2nd Cleveland stint were massive taxpayers.

Ballmer wouldnt even notice the type of pax payment the highest spenders make.

Meanwhile, the kind of tax Gilbert was making is enough to eat up all of the Buss family profits in a year. Does she have the authority to do that?

the last time we had to field a championship team at the cost of luxury tax, we had done that.

no idea why you get the feeling that it might be different this time.

lets wait and watch before we come to conclusions based on net worth.

I'm not concluding anything. Just pointing out what we know. The last time Lakers were taxpayers, Dr. Buss was the owner of the team and the tax rules were way less punitive. But even then...we often used picks to dump salary. And Dr. Buss didn't have to split money with 5 other people (two of whom have been cut off from actual responsibility and tried to wrest control back from Jeanie in court).

I do think it's safer to assume Ballmer will be a more willing tax payer than Jeanie (and her siblings).

yeah this is not even a debate
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Can someone explain to me what makes the Clippers attractive? Our young players take criticism, non of their young guys are all star talents. All serviceable and decent prospects, but media wants to make these guys out to be stars.

Also, their future first round treasure trove of picks will be a protected late first from Philly and the Miami pick, which is yet to be determined where it will land.

Billionaire owner, Jerry West, new arena, lots of cap space, Los Angeles, scrappy young team, a coach player's like, no drama.

There arena is 5 years out. All owners are wealthy. Jerry West is 80. They'll always be second fiddle. Sorry, it's like the Mets/Yankees, Mets will always be second fiddle franchise.

Clippers have come up a lot, don't get me wrong, just roster construction wise it's not like they have Embiid/Simmons. SGA is literally their best young player yet I just read an article on SI.com touting their treasure trove of talent and picks. Uh, what? But the Laker players all stink?

Jeanie's net worth minus her stake in the Lakers is 20 million... or a little more than one year of what we paid to Deng

Good for him, but has her net worth impeded the Lakers from making moves? All organizations operate under the confines of the cap, luxury tax, and pretty fixed player deals. Ballmer's billions isn't going to get any player more money.

thanks for common sense post.

if common sense means not true? We have consistently seen teams with owners whose primary wealth is related to the team operations avoid the luxury tax like the plague. Look at Houston...everyone was a little concerned when Tilman Fertitta bought the team because now the majority of his wealth was tied to the Rockets. He came out and declared it was not an issue and they would not avoid the tax....yet every single move Houston has made since he bought the team has been to get under the tax. The Lakers have a little bit of buffer because of their large revenues, but the Buss family being one of the less wealthy owners in the NBA definitely could have a negative impact on the amount offered to players.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Lol people saying no to Kyrie and Kemba like we have an endless choice of stars to pick from

If available, you sign both of them every day of the week, especially Kyrie
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie or Kemba would be sweet if none of our main targets comes through.

Who are our main targets again? lol
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Kyrie or Kemba would be sweet if none of our main targets comes through.

Who are our main targets again? lol

DLO. If we hear no one is coming we should max offer him and see if the Nets will sign. If they do then good for DLO. If they don’t, then welcome home. I doubt any big free agents are going to Brooklyn though, so it’s a no brainer for them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
32 wrote:
PG didn't want to come here. He made up his decision long before the season ended and it had nothing to do with LBJ joining the Lakers. He was comfortable playing in OKC and playing with his bro RW.

Tween schoolgirls have fallen in love in less time than PG fell for Russ.

I'm not saying he doesn't genuinely like the guy... but I feel like there's more to the story.

My theory is that we either spurned PG first thinking we had better options coming... or simply lost him through apathy or neglect.

But no one knows...

We'll find out in ten years the real story when PG retires.

We know, some just choose to make up alternate scenarios.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Not yet, but we haven’t gotten anywhere close to the luxury tax, that is what will take money from her and her siblings pockets. Will they pay?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
32 wrote:

Tween schoolgirls have fallen in love in less time than PG fell for Russ.

I'm not saying he doesn't genuinely like the guy... but I feel like there's more to the story.

My theory is that we either spurned PG first thinking we had better options coming... or simply lost him through apathy or neglect.

But no one knows...

We'll find out in ten years the real story when PG retires.

We know, some just choose to make up alternate scenarios.

no u dont but if that makes u happy sure
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

thanks for common sense post.

if common sense means not true? We have consistently seen teams with owners whose primary wealth is related to the team operations avoid the luxury tax like the plague. Look at Houston...everyone was a little concerned when Tilman Fertitta bought the team because now the majority of his wealth was tied to the Rockets. He came out and declared it was not an issue and they would not avoid the tax....yet every single move Houston has made since he bought the team has been to get under the tax. The Lakers have a little bit of buffer because of their large revenues, but the Buss family being one of the less wealthy owners in the NBA definitely could have a negative impact on the amount offered to players.

lets wait till we actually have to pay tax and then come up with opinions
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Having an owner who has 2050 times the wealth of the other owner is an advantage even if there is no outright cheating. The amount he can invest into infrastructure... the respect and credibility that it brings. Most of our players are richer than Jeanie. I've always liked her but I'm not thrilled with how this is going right now.

the respect and credibility is in the brand.......are you comparing the lakers to the clippers.....i dont care how much money Ballmer has....its the clippers and it is not even in the same discussion as the lakers.

I will always love the Lakers over the Clippers but if the US international popularity can wane during one administration... so can a basketball team.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/09/how-the-world-views-the-u-s-and-its-president-in-9-charts/

Aren't those the same people whose polls predicted a landslide win for Hillary in 2016?

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

I will always love the Lakers over the Clippers but if the US international popularity can wane during one administration... so can a basketball team.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/09/how-the-world-views-the-u-s-and-its-president-in-9-charts/

Aren't those the same people whose polls predicted a landslide win for Hillary in 2016?

Fine, take the Gallup poll instead.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/225761/world-approval-leadership-drops-new-low.aspx

My point still stands that no one is immune from from terrible moves or a having a bad management spell.

Right now, we can still salvage things... if we do the godfather trade, I'm not saying 100% we won't win... but we will be all in on an average hand... and there isn't anything left to bet if it's not the right call.

If we punt for AD in 2020... maybe it only costs us Ingram... instead of 7 pieces and picks.

We should try for any free agent. IF we can't land one... then I'd just sign people and get AD for free the following year.

Sure there's the Paul George risk of not trading... except we aren't talking about just losing Ingram and a pick... we are talking about mortgaging our entire future.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:

Fine, take the Gallup poll instead.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/225761/world-approval-leadership-drops-new-low.aspx

My point still stands that no one is immune from from terrible moves or a having a bad management spell.

Right now, we can still salvage things... if we do the godfather trade, I'm not saying 100% we won't win... but we will be all in on an average hand... and there isn't anything left to bet if it's not the right call.

If we punt for AD in 2020... maybe it only costs us Ingram... instead of 7 pieces and picks.

We should try for any free agent. IF we can't land one... then I'd just sign people and get AD for free the following year.

Sure there's the Paul George risk of not trading... except we aren't talking about just losing Ingram and a pick... we are talking about mortgaging our entire future.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your take on keeping the core and getting AD in 2020. That's how I feel too. Guess I can see it from the other side too, i.e., what do we do if the FO cannot land one of Kawhi/Klay/Kyrie/KD and AD is convinced to remain where he is traded (worst case scenario... the Celtics or GSW). That's a definite concern.

Anyway, just think we can stick to talking Lakers/basketball without bringing politics into it. I've noticed a few times where people seem to like making basketball related points using politics when there is no correlation/relevance... and those political points aren't even good ones, just digs at anyone who doesn't see things the same way. Cheers.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your take on keeping the core and getting AD in 2020. That's how I feel too. Guess I can see it from the other side too, i.e., what do we do if the FO cannot land one of Kawhi/Klay/Kyrie/KD and AD is convinced to remain where he is traded (worst case scenario... the Celtics or GSW. That's a definite concern.

Anyway, just think we can stick to talking Lakers/basketball without bringing politics into it. I've noticed a few times were people seem to like making basketball related points using politics when there is no co-relation/relevance... and those political points aren't even good ones, just digs at anyone who doesn't see things the same way. Cheers.

My point wasn't really about the politics... it was about how no one is immune from criticism.

But yes... we should stay off that subject... it just happened to be the analogy that popped into my mind.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your take on keeping the core and getting AD in 2020. That's how I feel too. Guess I can see it from the other side too, i.e., what do we do if the FO cannot land one of Kawhi/Klay/Kyrie/KD and AD is convinced to remain where he is traded (worst case scenario... the Celtics or GSW. That's a definite concern.

Anyway, just think we can stick to talking Lakers/basketball without bringing politics into it. I've noticed a few times were people seem to like making basketball related points using politics when there is no co-relation/relevance... and those political points aren't even good ones, just digs at anyone who doesn't see things the same way. Cheers.

My point wasn't really about the politics... it was about how no one is immune from criticism.

But yes... we should stay off that subject... it just happened to be the analogy that popped into my mind.

Agreed with that too, lol, nobody/nothing should be immune to criticism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

FWIW BI would have to be traded for no long term deals coming back bc his cap hold of over 20m would preclude an AD max in 2020.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
FWIW BI would have to be traded for no long term deals coming back bc his cap hold of over 20m would preclude an AD max in 2020.

He could be signed first at a lower salary than the QO then sign AD. The cap goes up to 116m in 2020. Im not sure if there is a number that fits this scenario but I don’t think Ingram’s going to get a 20 million dollar offer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He could be signed first at a lower salary than the QO then sign AD. The cap goes up to 116m in 2020. Im not sure if there is a number that fits this scenario but I don’t think Ingram’s going to get a 20 million dollar offer

He’s not taking under 10m.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Who wouldn't want to be part of this team??
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I said I didn’t know. Is that the number he would have to sign for in order to sign AD in 2020
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I said I didn’t know. Is that the number he would have to sign for in order to sign AD in 2020

Maybe less. He’s gone if we punt.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1095542433767510016

Watch this shot
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1095542433767510016

Watch this shot

Doesn't matter he is not coming
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 856, 857, 858 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 857 of 8560
Jump to: