OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7068, 7069, 7070 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
NBA Executive on Buddy Hield:

“Buddy’s going to be gone. They already traded him and had a done deal.”

(via @MikeAScotto)

Not sure about Done deal, maybe close

Buddy and picks for Simmons? Ben-Fox?

My feeling is the “done deal” was the Kuzma/KCP and Harrell deal and then the LeKlutch said nah get Russ.

Sacramento got a taste of their own medicine. We played them even if the intention to acquire Hield initially was probably genuine.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

I would prefer KCP/Kuz over Buddy though.
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
Can we bring back Kuzma? He's averaging 18.5 ppg and 13 reb in helping the Wizards go 2 - 0

Montrezl Harrell is avg 18/8. Lets bring him back also.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

Kuz/Caruso/KCP - you win championship for us. You go bye. We'd prefer old fart ring chasers.

Still, my question goes unanswered: if it ain't broke, why fix it?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I was lukewarm on that trade, Especially since it meant for most that Dennis would be rewarded with a 80M deal over 4.

That said, I was also lukewarm on the Westbrook deal. I didn't think either move was earth shattering, but of the two, I definitely think Westbrook's is the one with much higher upside and potential to make an impact. I wish we kept Caruso, but it was always gonna come down to THT vs Caruso for payment. Lets see what THT brings when healthy. Talent wise, he has it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

Leif wrote:
phantasyman wrote:
Can we bring back Kuzma? He's averaging 18.5 ppg and 13 reb in helping the Wizards go 2 - 0

Montrezl Harrell is avg 18/8. Lets bring him back also.

Yeah I know what you mean (I get the sarcasm), Great example of looking at stats and not wins and losses. The Lakers know these guys can put those numbers up without stars next to them. Thing is LA has 2 stars already in AD/Bron. There's no 18/8 and 18/10 role for Kuz/Trez in LA. What the Lakers need is a guy that can be a 3rd impact guy around AD/Bron, which Kuz never showed he could be, and def Trez didn't. Neither did Dennis.

I wasn't pro Westbrook, when the rumors were there, I was like meh. I'm still meh on him, but at least I see that talent wise you got a 3rd impact player that could be a major compliment to AD/Bron. Some of the offense we got yesterday with Bron/AD/Westbrook/Melo you've not seen that kind of firepower in LA since AD/Bron came. We have huge weapons now that actually could have a role around Bron/AD. Kuz I like a ton, but he had no 3rd impact player role around AD/Bron. Did he ever even have a game like Melo had yesterday in 2 years arond AD/Bron? I know he had some big games, but did he shoot like that and just fit in beautifully? That's not even counting that Westbrook is supposed to be the 3rd impact guy, not Melo.

The roster has it's issues, but this new narrative that last year's team was perfect makes me chuckle. The Suns left all our shooters wide open, Kuz/KCP/Caruso couldn't do anything in that series. Some act as if we won a ring last year with those guys playing amazing. They all sucked in the playoffs, big time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I was lukewarm on that trade, Especially since it meant for most that Dennis would be rewarded with a 80M deal over 4.

That said, I was also lukewarm on the Westbrook deal. I didn't think either move was earth shattering, but of the two, I definitely think Westbrook's is the one with much higher upside and potential to make an impact. I wish we kept Caruso, but it was always gonna come down to THT vs Caruso for payment. Lets see what THT brings when healthy. Talent wise, he has it.

At the same of sounding too cynical, my guess is what we will most likely “see” with THT is the needed $10m in contract ballast in a mid season trade to bring in another old ring chaser that James/Klutch wants.

It’s coming.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

Speaking of THT, no decision between dude & Caruso was even necessary. We should have retained AC with the wide profit margin the Lakers brand already gains every year. Plus we weren’t even facing a higher punitive tax rate, since we haven’t been paying taxes and as a result aren’t hit with the repeater tax offender rate.

Also bringing up THT’s price point this past summer as an early bird player, Reaves should have been signed tomorrow (Oct 26) with the prorated rookie min (890k remaining from our mMLE) so that we could have acquired his full bird rights on a 3yr deal instead of his current 2yr deal (which is what happened with THT in 2019 free agency).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At the same of sounding too cynical, my guess is what we will most likely “see” with THT is the needed $10m in contract ballast in a mid season trade to bring in another old ring chaser that James/Klutch wants.

It’s coming.

Dunno about that. I think we added ring chasers because that's what we had to work with. Our cap situation was the vet mins, one MMLE and that's it. So you take a look at contenders, what are your strengths in Free Agency? It's going to be guys chasing rings. They take a little less to get a ring. Or choose you over other vet min offers because of the LA/ring potential.

The Westbrook thing, if you look at it. Before trading for Westbrook, it was Hield they had a deal lined up for. So Hield is what 28? Not really a star chasing a ring. Not sure why they suddenly shifted towards Westbrook, but I will say I don't view Westbrook at all like Melo/Dwight/DAJ/Rondo etc former all-stars on a vet min deal to get a ring/play in LA. Westbrook's still in his athletic prime and had 22/12/12 last year. Not saying I make the move for Westbrook, but between Hield and Westbrook, considering the asset difference was just adding Trez, I think we made the right call.

Also take into account it's not like we gave up major assets here. KCP, Kuz, Trez. All solid to borderline good players in the league. But I don't think they are viewed as significant assets. We had very little to work with, and decided to max the talent out with what we had. Rob's been trying to do that for a while, if you look at the deadline of the last season, he had tried to trade for Lowry. For whatever reason, Rob was not convinced he had enough to win a ring as Bron was aging without a star PG. We've been after Lowry, CP3. We settled on Westbrook. The commonality in all of that is they are all "elite" star PGs. Of the 3, Westbrook comes with the most drawbacks, but he also fits the mold of star PG. Which is what they wanted and believed needed to keep winning as Bron enters season 19, 20 etc.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's been 3 games now where the Warriors/Suns/Memphis younger wings just run us out of the gym. Our current bigger wing defenders are all over 35. Wish we took a flyer on a few athletic wings who could help keep up on defensive transition.

The bad news- that's going to be the case for the next 78 games.

The good news- playoff basketball slows down enough where it might not be a factor.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

I say trade LeBron for Ben Simmons!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Man would have been awesome to have added Melo, Bazemore and Monk and not traded for Russ. Keep Caruso too. All this team needed was more shooting and spacing. Westbrook is so redundant.

When will you all figure out the problem is Kent Bazemore .
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's been 3 games now where the Warriors/Suns/Memphis younger wings just run us out of the gym. Our current bigger wing defenders are all over 35. Wish we took a flyer on a few athletic wings who could help keep up on defensive transition.

The bad news- that's going to be the case for the next 78 games.

The good news- playoff basketball slows down enough where it might not be a factor.

Playoffs? playoffs? playoffs? u talking 'bout playoffs? playoffs? playoffs?
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Kuz/Caruso/KCP - you win championship for us. You go bye. We'd prefer old fart ring chasers.

LOL its broken if I recall the Bucks are the NBA champs.

Keeping the championship team intact = another championship

21-22 season so far

34 DG 5.7pts 3 reb 0 ast
28 KCP 6.0 pts 2 reb 1.5 ast
27 AC 8.0 pts 2 reb 3.3 ast
26 Kuz 18.5 pts 13 reb 2,5 ast
35 DH 3.0 pts 3.3 reb, .3 blk
33 JM 9.0 pts 5.3 reb, .3 blk
32 MM 5.5 pts 2.5 reb 1 ast
35 RR 4.5 pts 2.0 reb 4.0 ast

If you think that team can score enough points and not tax too much load on LBJ and AD you must have some blinders on.

-Current roster has more potential, does that equal to a championship don't really know. That is why we watch the season, to see progress and by the trade deadline and waiver we can make final adjustments to better our chances. Enjoy the ride its going to be bumpy, but can he worth it in the end. Just like the 19-20 championship team, until Mar that season when we went on a streak and beat the NO, Sixers, Bucks & Clippers did we had the feeling that we have a great shot at winning which we eventually did.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

Maybe I'm crazy but with the surprise play of Reaves -- I don't mind that we are without Buddy. I just hope Reaves gets the chance to continue to grow throughout the season.

I can't remember the last time Lakers had a rookie who wasn't afraid to shoot, could knock down those timely shots, and play scrappy defense. I think D'Angelo comes to mind but maybe my expectations were too high for him (as a rookie) so i felt disappointed with his play.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

21-22 season so far

34 DG 5.7pts 3 reb 0 ast

If you think that team can score enough points and not tax too much load on LBJ and AD you must have some blinders on.

-Current roster has more potential, does that equal to a championship don't really know. That is why we watch the season, to see progress and by the trade deadline and waiver we can make final adjustments to better our chances. Enjoy the ride its going to be bumpy, but can he worth it in the end. Just like the 19-20 championship team, until Mar that season when we went on a streak and beat the NO, Sixers, Bucks & Clippers did we had the feeling that we have a great shot at winning which we eventually did.

Keeping it together after the bubble was never going to result in another ring. Could keeping last years roster mostly intact won this year? Doubtful.

But there was better ways to build this years roster. Starting with keeping Caruso via bird rights and then using the mMLE on a bigger defensive wing player. From there, we can debate KCP/Buddy versus Russ all day. But I'd still do the trade and then just build differently around the big 3.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:

The reason his playing well is because he's the guy that's getting the green light to shoot and there are no restrictions to his game. When you're on a team with superstars you are secondary and your job is to perform specific duties which in his case he was not that good at doing since he needs to touch the ball. This happens all the time when a player gets traded to a weak team.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy but with the surprise play of Reaves -- I don't mind that we are without Buddy. I just hope Reaves gets the chance to continue to grow throughout the season.

I can't remember the last time Lakers had a rookie who wasn't afraid to shoot, could knock down those timely shots, and play scrappy defense. I think D'Angelo comes to mind but maybe my expectations were too high for him (as a rookie) so i felt disappointed with his play.

Reaves is a fantastic player for this team as he works well in his role. A guy that comes in plays hard defense, is smart to move the ball intelligently, and at the same time make shots when needed. Reeves is that guy that is never going to hurt you and as a coach you have confidence in his natural basketball instincts. That is what Kuzma was not! Kuzma is not high IQ but works well when he is part of the main attraction on a lower tear team.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
phantasyman wrote:

The reason his playing well is because he's the guy that's getting the green light to shoot and there are no restrictions to his game. When you're on a team with superstars you are secondary and your job is to perform specific duties which in his case he was not that good at doing since he needs to touch the ball. This happens all the time when a player gets traded to a weak team.

This. We should know by know putting up stats on a crappy team doesn’t mean much. He’s putting up numbers because someone has to on that team. Ya they’re 2-0 but it’s a small sample size.

Kuz is like Clipper Trez. He put up numbers but in the playoffs he hurt the Clippers more than helped. We shouldn’t fall for guys like that. The Caruso types are the ones we need (still bummed we let him go) we need guys that do the dirty work for our stars and impact winning…stats be damned.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

21-22 season so far

34 DG 5.7pts 3 reb 0 ast

Keeping it together after the bubble was never going to result in another ring. Could keeping last years roster mostly intact won this year? Doubtful.

But there was better ways to build this years roster. Starting with keeping Caruso via bird rights and then using the mMLE on a bigger defensive wing player. From there, we can debate KCP/Buddy versus Russ all day. But I'd still do the trade and then just build differently around the big 3.

Exactly this!

We weren’t in a position of strength to begin with! Imho, we lucked into the Russ trade with minimal assets.

Trez opting in was a blessing. Otherwise that Oubre Jr bag from the Bugs was potentially there for him if he opted out.

A Kuz/Trez package for Buddy still meant we had to find a perimeter playmaker to help Bron to the bench some during the regular season. Is that Schro on a re-up or S&t…who knows, but if Buddy came in, Bron still plays set-up for the offense with no relief. And then there’s the other side of the court…no thanks buddy. Who was going to sHield dude from being a turnstile on defense? AD would have been so hot & bothered, even after he sHoward.

So as much as we believe Buddy would have been the answer for us this year, maybe we need to cool it on him making us unequivocal world-beaters.

But I’m sure folks will point to the Kcp/AC variables in the Buddy equation. Yeah, I understand the Kcp part, but AC could still be part of the Russ equation had the Lakers been willing to pay more of a premium towards our title insurance. Instead we went with the minimum option.

If Russ shields Bron from playing big minutes during the regular season, then that investment will have been worth it. If it doesn’t add up to that, then I fully understand why some of y’all are big mAD about the nixed Buddy trade.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
I say trade LeBron for Ben Simmons!

man, we would suck badly if we did that. Ben can't hold Lebron's jock strap...
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Stein: Here is video of the @ramonashelburne
report on Philly ceasing the fines Simmons had been accumulating. Simmons told teammates Friday that he is not mentally ready to play and the Sixers, according to a source close to the situation, have offered Simmons any "resources" he seeks.

https://twitter.com/_Talkin_NBA/status/1452724121083781123

Live look at Rich…

https://tenor.com/bGcwS.gif
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
2019 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

21-22 season so far

34 DG 5.7pts 3 reb 0 ast

Exactly this!

We weren’t in a position of strength to begin with! Imho, we lucked into the Russ trade with minimal assets.

Trez opting in was a blessing. Otherwise that Oubre Jr bag from the Bugs was potentially there for him if he opted out.

A Kuz/Trez package for Buddy still meant we had to find a perimeter playmaker to help Bron to the bench some during the regular season. Is that Schro on a re-up or S&t…who knows, but if Buddy came in, Bron still plays set-up for the offense with no relief. And then there’s the other side of the court…no thanks buddy. Who was going to sHield dude from being a turnstile on defense? AD would have been so hot & bothered, even after he sHoward.

So as much as we believe Buddy would have been the answer for us this year, maybe we need to cool it on him making us unequivocal world-beaters.

But I’m sure folks will point to the Kcp/AC variables in the Buddy equation. Yeah, I understand the Kcp part, but AC could still be part of the Russ equation had the Lakers been willing to pay more of a premium towards our title insurance. Instead we went with the minimum option.

If Russ shields Bron from playing big minutes during the regular season, then that investment will have been worth it. If it doesn’t add up to that, then I fully understand why some of y’all are big mAD about the nixed Buddy trade.

100%. And I still think this thing will work but it's not going to happen in the first 3 games. Historically Russ has taken half a season to figure it out so no reason to expect less here.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Stein: Here is video of the @ramonashelburne
report on Philly ceasing the fines Simmons had been accumulating. Simmons told teammates Friday that he is not mentally ready to play and the Sixers, according to a source close to the situation, have offered Simmons any "resources" he seeks.

https://twitter.com/_Talkin_NBA/status/1452724121083781123

Live look at Rich…

https://tenor.com/bGcwS.gif

I'm not sure the mental issues Simmons has expressed are out of convenience. There is evidence he may be suffering from some of that legitimately. Plus, it would be a VERY bad look to use that as an excuse to get paid while holding out. It's a serious issue and not something one should co-opt for personal gain.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
2019 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

21-22 season so far

34 DG 5.7pts 3 reb 0 ast

Exactly this!

100%. And I still think this thing will work but it's not going to happen in the first 3 games. Historically Russ has taken half a season to figure it out so no reason to expect less here.

But like why would you trade for a 40 million player who tanks half the season. Like why are you just fine with that? Westbrook gets many passes I guess.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7068, 7069, 7070 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7069 of 8560
Jump to: