OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5976, 5977, 5978 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
It really seems like the Bulls made a panic move for Vucevic to entice LaVine rather then look at pieces that can help there young team, the Bulls FO has been horrid for years now, sucks for there passionate fan base.

They have a new front office.

The vucevuc deal isn’t bad when you look at it as Carter was mad he got benched for not playing well and said he deserved minutes. They wanted to also get rid of Mark but the Pelicans and them went nowhere on the Lonzo talks. They have complete understanding that they need a starting PG.

With the way Lavine has played, you want him to consider not leaving you as a free agent. He pretty much had them in the play in solo all year. So you have to commit to him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject:

So if Harrell walks in FA what are some possible options to target? I don’t mind going after Thaddeus Young.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

DWade now a minority owner of Jazz.

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1383096237390503940?s=21
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So if Harrell walks in FA what are some possible options to target? I don’t mind going after Thaddeus Young.

It will depend on what skill set they are looking for. Trez is one dimensional offensively and limited defensively. If they can sign a center who is similarly skilled as Trez with added rim protection then they may look at more diverse skilled replacements for him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

It will depend on what skill set they are looking for. Trez is one dimensional offensively and limited defensively. If they can sign a center who is similarly skilled as Trez with added rim protection then they may look at more diverse skilled replacements for him.

This is where the allocation of the mini MLE will come into question.

We let Dennis walk, we have to replace him.

Trezz, Kieff, Gasol, Drummond, all have a good chance of walking too. We have to treat that mini MLE carefully, which is why I've long defended keeping Dennis (even if I personally believe he is around an 18-19m/year player; Lakers thought he was worth more with that extension).
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

IF Rob ever needed a reason to cut ties with Kostas without souring any goodwill with his agent then this avalanche of injuries should give him validity to waive Kostas so he can look to sign much needed depth in another PG or wing position player even if this is only a 2-way.

Other contending teams are still trying to fill out the fringes of their rosters for depth (Nuggets, Nets).

edit: one other possibility is cutting ties with Dudley. Keep him around the team but I would believe he recognizes the need for his roster spot.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Trezz, Kieff, Gasol, Drummond, all have a good chance of walking too. We have to treat that mini MLE carefully, which is why I've long defended keeping Dennis (even if I personally believe he is around an 18-19m/year player; Lakers thought he was worth more with that extension).

The one factor that has arisen since the extension was offered is Drummond. Who do the Lakers value or prioritize more? I was surprised by Vogel mentioning trying to sign Drummond long term but that seems to follow his past MO of having a BIG center to anchor the paint. If Drummond is offered and accepts the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($9.5 million) which hard caps them next year then the $'s available for DS shrinks and it needs to also be mindful that they still need to fill out 14 roster spots under the cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The one factor that has arisen since the extension was offered is Drummond. Who do the Lakers value or prioritize more? I was surprised by Vogel mentioning trying to sign Drummond long term but that seems to follow his past MO of having a BIG center to anchor the paint. If Drummond is offered and accepts the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($9.5 million) which hard caps them next year then the $'s available for DS shrinks and it needs to also be mindful that they still need to fill out 14 roster spots under the cap.

We still have to get rid of current salary (and I'm not talking about Dennis) to get the full MLE level. But if you shed salaries, and then Dennis walks too all to keep Drummond? Not a fan of that. I think we can look opportunistically for guys like Dieng at a cheaper price while retaining our depth.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Who do you have in mind?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

Just read that the Pelicans are open to S&T scenarios involving Lonzo Ball during the off season
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Who do you have in mind?

For one I would resign Kief and give him additional court time. Haven't really looked at next years list but I would believe it will need to be relatively inexpensive $'s considering the luxury tax or if the the team is again hard capped. So journeymen vets or young 2-3 year prospects.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We still have to get rid of current salary (and I'm not talking about Dennis) to get the full MLE level. But if you shed salaries, and then Dennis walks too all to keep Drummond? Not a fan of that. I think we can look opportunistically for guys like Dieng at a cheaper price while retaining our depth.

Well it depends on who Vogel values more for his schemes. He has past history of successfully working with big C's. Does he want a shooter next to Lebron?

We talk about losing Schroder as an asset but Drummond is also an asset. Don't believe either would be traded next year if retained but who would be easier to trade 2-3 years from now, Drummond with a salary in the 14-16 mil range or DS at 21-23 mil?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The hard part for me is I can't shake the feeling that DS isn't an exceptional fit for a LeBron led team. Don't get me wrong, his defense has been really great, and he's a legit scoring threat. But I would call him a poor facilitator/passer and he's slightly below average at shooting 3s for a point (a key factor on a LeBron team). I'm not sure retaining Caruso and THT, who should both continue to improve, while adding a ring chasing guard really drops off the team performance that much. It will be interesting to see what happens with John Wall this summer too. He's Klutch on a tank-ready team with a cheap owner and probably has negative trade value. I could see Bledsoe hitting the market too. Who knows if New Orleans may want the '21 first (instead of the '22 first) given it will likely be better now that Bron and AD are signed long term.

I could be totally wrong and if Dennis shows up big time with a strong playoff run, I'll be crying for the Lakers to do whatever it takes to keep him. But IMO the proof isn't there yet.

Last edited by Laker's Fan on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 am; edited 3 times in total
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
IF Rob ever needed a reason to cut ties with Kostas without souring any goodwill with his agent then this avalanche of injuries should give him validity to waive Kostas so he can look to sign much needed depth in another PG or wing position player even if this is only a 2-way.

Other contending teams are still trying to fill out the fringes of their rosters for depth (Nuggets, Nets).

edit: one other possibility is cutting ties with Dudley. Keep him around the team but I would believe he recognizes the need for his roster spot.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Kostas takes up a roster spot as a 2-way.

He may not be 2-way anymore, though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Well it depends on who Vogel values more for his schemes. He has past history of successfully working with big C's. Does he want a shooter next to Lebron?

We talk about losing Schroder as an asset but Drummond is also an asset. Don't believe either would be traded next year if retained but who would be easier to trade 2-3 years from now, Drummond with a salary in the 14-16 mil range or DS at 21-23 mil?

With Dennis you full Bird rights.

Drummond, you have nothing. You have to literally get rid of current salary to even come close to giving him a 9m salary. There is no realistic way to give Drummond a 14-16m range salary.

I don't think we should be investing too much cap space in our center position. Last year we had something like 5-6m combined for JAV/Dwight.

This year, it's Marc/Trez, about 10-11m.

I value guards more in today's NBA than non-spacing bigs.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Drummond, you have nothing. You have to literally get rid of current salary to even come close to giving him a 9m salary. There is no realistic way to give Drummond a 14-16m range salary.

I don't think we should be investing too much cap space in our center position. Last year we had something like 5-6m combined for JAV/Dwight.

Disagree. You have to sign AD if you can. As you know, Anthony Davis can’t play the full 82 game season and Montrezzl Harrell is an undersized center.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Disagree. You have to sign AD if you can. As you know, Anthony Davis can’t play the full 82 game season and Montrezzl Harrell is an undersized center.

That's the point. With what? You don't have cap space. Right now we are projected to have the mini MLE. That's not enough for him.

So you are going to strip down the team and get rid of Kuz/KCP/even more for nothing just be able to give a full MLE in the 9-10m range?

Nope. Not for a big who can't space the floor. But this season, I'm more than happy to have Drummond.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We got lucky this year with Trezz taking a lesser salary than he could have gotten elsewhere and Drummond being bought out.

There will be more cap space this year, and I don't immediately see any free guys who look like they will be free agent bargains so it's hard to predict.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Never mentioned signing him next year for 14-16 mil. I did mention 9.5 mil. Then resign him the year after where he is eligible for more money hence the 2-3 year time frame.

The thing is I prefer guards who can shoot the 3ball instead of one who can't especially next to Lebron. That's a commodity that is relatively cheap and available.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Never mentioned signing him next year for 14-16 mil. I did mention 9.5 mil. Then resign him the year after where he is eligible for more money hence the 2-3 year time frame.

The thing is I prefer guards who can shoot the 3ball instead of one who can't especially next to Lebron. That's a commodity that is relatively cheap and available.

This has nothing to do with Dennis. And if you prefer guards who shoot the 3 ball, what about THT? He's even worse at shooting 3s. I digress.

But even to get to the full MLE, we will have to trade out guys on contract (i.e. KCP/Kuz/etc.) to qualify. That only goes to under cap teams IIRC. And we are not that.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

I may be wrong, but I don't think Kostas takes up a roster spot as a 2-way.

He may not be 2-way anymore, though.

That is correct. I had noted that at the end of my first sentence.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

This has nothing to do with Dennis. And if you prefer guards who shoot the 3 ball, what about THT? He's even worse at shooting 3s. I digress.

But even to get to the full MLE, we will have to trade out guys on contract (i.e. KCP/Kuz/etc.) to qualify. That only goes to under cap teams IIRC. And we are not that.

Not sure why you always need to point out a flaw in another Laker to prove a point but I digress.

There is also a cap threshold that I am sure Rob has to work under and if signing DS over a $ value results in losing 3-4 of AC, Kief, Trez, Drummond, McLemore, Wes then what is the difference in trading away 1 or 2 players? Lakers are going to lose players regardless, just depends which one's they deem expendable.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure why you always need to point out a flaw in another Laker to prove a point but I digress.

There is also a cap threshold that I am sure Rob has to work under and if signing DS over a $ value results in losing 3-4 of AC, Kief, Trez, Drummond, McLemore, Wes then what is the difference in trading away 1 or 2 players?

No, you're pointing out a specific flaw in a guard, i.e. 3 point shooting. But THT cannot, so there is an inconsistency in the logic (and you know how high I am on THT).

Cap threshold? We will be an above cap team for the foreseeable future. If you're talking about luxury taxes, I doubt Jeanie is going to be stingy in this limited LBJ/AD championship run. AC/Kieff/Trezz/Drummond, all are free agents. We have bird/early bird rights on AC/Kieff. The Drummond scenarios are really unrealistic if you look at the cap structure.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

There is also a cap threshold that I am sure Rob has to work under and if signing DS over a $ value results in losing 3-4 of AC, Kief, Trez, Drummond, McLemore, Wes then what is the difference in trading away 1 or 2 players?

No, you're pointing out a specific flaw in a guard, i.e. 3 point shooting. But THT cannot, so there is an inconsistency in the logic (and you know how high I am on THT).

Cap threshold? We will be an above cap team for the foreseeable future. If you're talking about luxury taxes, I doubt Jeanie is going to be stingy in this limited LBJ/AD championship run. AC/Kieff/Trezz/Drummond, all are free agents. We have bird/early bird rights on AC/Kieff. The Drummond scenarios are really unrealistic if you look at the cap structure.

Well you pointed out a flaw in not liking a non-spacing center so what is the difference if I point out not liking a non-3pt shooting guard next to Lebron? You are not being consistent with your logic. Also did I ever mention THT starting next to Lebron or just another assumption you got reading between the lines?

As for the cap Emplay's article also doubts the Lakers will be willing to spend significantly into the luxury tax. It is not only Jeanie's decision. She has other stakeholders in the Lakers she needs to take into consideration and I am sure the $'s would be a concern. At least I would be.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject:

THT is 20 years old and shooting like Schroder is at 27 years old.

If THT was still shooting 47% eFG at 27 years old, I'd be running the other way from a huge contract for him just like I'm pleading the Lakers to do now with Schroder

We see the potential in THT... which is why Rob (or Klutch) wouldn't pull the trigger on the Lowry trade.

This is pretty much it for Schroder. Maybe he gets up to 35% from 3 if we are lucky... but he's just a solid but limited player.

Again I get the point about no other options... however, I'm over him at this point. I'm going to trust that Lakers brain trust will draft a good replacement... maybe we sign someone cheap like Payton to hold down the ship until THT and the new draftee are ready... but I don't see much difference between what Schroder will do with LBJ and AD and any other journeyman point guard like Dellevadova could do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5976, 5977, 5978 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5977 of 8560
Jump to: