OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5772, 5773, 5774 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Let’s see what Pelinka has up his sleeve

Dude is blessed. Even when doing nothing, everyone thinks hes up to something
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

He went to the Nets because he sees that as his easiest chance at a free ring.

Apparently the Knicks are the favs to trade for Drummond at the moment.

Quote:

“As for Drummond, there is no shortage of interest,” Amico wrote. “He has been linked to the New York Knicks, Toronto Raptors, Brooklyn Nets, Boston Celtics, Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Clippers. And now the [Chicago] Bulls.

“According to one league source, the Knicks are the ‘frontrunner’ for Drummond.”
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Let’s see what Pelinka has up his sleeve

nothing.

Pelinka better hope he lucks into something good to fix his huge mistake at the Center/rim protection position and for miss-casting Trez as a Center.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
When i suggested Blake when the furst buyout rumor dropped, everyone said “no he’s washed.” Now that he’s on the Nets we acting like they just got dunk contest Blake.

When in reality they got 36% from the field this season, following 35% from the field last season Blake. You can stick a fork in him. He's lost his athleticism. And all that is left is a poor three point shooter who can only grab 5 rebounds in 30 minutes.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think he’ll all of a sudden be a star again, but I do believe he was sand bagging a bit on the pistons. He’ll be playing off of Kyrie, KD, and Harden.

His shots will be a lot more open and he wont have to create offense. He’ll help them out some.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Yeah I don't see how we (or anyone) can contain the Nets. That offense on an off night is an easy 110. Most other teams off night's look more like somewhere in 90's.

The easy way to justify us beating them is asking 'who guards AD'. And that's true but with the way they spread the floor and play with pace. which team hs enough defenders who can stay one on one across the board? Otherwise, teams are doubling and they end scrambling and ultimately buried. And while I love Frank, he does have a tendency to over help on great ISO players. I've never understood that. Just play straight up whenever possible and no let no name guys become heroes by doubling stars. For the Nets, pick your poison on who you want to double bc they have 2 other stars who can drop 50 easily and efficiently.

Let's see how the buyouts go but we need some help and more importantly, we need health.

[Offensive post deleted] -CL
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
2019 wrote:
Yeah I don't see how we (or anyone) can contain the Nets. That offense on an off night is an easy 110. Most other teams off night's look more like somewhere in 90's.

The easy way to justify us beating them is asking 'who guards AD'. And that's true but with the way they spread the floor and play with pace. which team hs enough defenders who can stay one on one across the board? Otherwise, teams are doubling and they end scrambling and ultimately buried. And while I love Frank, he does have a tendency to over help on great ISO players. I've never understood that. Just play straight up whenever possible and no let no name guys become heroes by doubling stars. For the Nets, pick your poison on who you want to double bc they have 2 other stars who can drop 50 easily and efficiently.

Let's see how the buyouts go but we need some help and more importantly, we need health.
[Offensive post deleted -CL]

Imagine being a fan of the majority of the NBA that doesn't have 2 of the 5 players in the NBA

Most will have a sudden change of heart once the team starts looking legit again a bit after the second half of the season gets going.
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject:

Kawhi would have probably signed here if he knew another superfriends team was going to form up.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
2019 wrote:

[deleted]

Not sure you know how basketball works. Besides AD at the 4 or 5, the Nets pretty much have us beat at all positions. Lebron and KD are a wash. Not saying I don’t want to face them, and not saying I hope we don’t win, but you got to be realistic. Who’s going to out score or defend their 3rd best player, Kyrie? Our overrated folklore hero Alex Caruso? Our over-hyped not quite there yet THT? Or over the hill Mathews? You know how we could win? If we merged with the Heat or the Clippers. Then we have a chance.

Now if we could somehow snag Drummond and another 3&D wing, I like our chances a whole lot better.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
2019 wrote:

[deleted]

Not sure you know how basketball works. Besides AD at the 4 or 5, the Nets pretty much have us beat at all positions. Lebron and KD are a wash. Not saying I don’t want to face them, and not saying I hope we don’t win, but you got to be realistic. Who’s going to out score or defend their 3rd best player, Kyrie? Our overrated folklore hero Alex Caruso? Our over-hyped not quite there yet THT? Or over the hill Mathews? You know how we could win? If we merged with the Heat or the Clippers. Then we have a chance.

Now if we could somehow snag Drummond and another 3&D wing, I like our chances a whole lot better.

Relax, Francis.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
2019 wrote:

[deleted]

You imply you know how basketball works yet you compare teams on a poisition by position matchup. 🤔
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

Please refrain from unnecessary gender based insults. Polarbear, I'm looking at you. Thanks.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject:

Pelinka already did his magic. We have one of the most offensively talented rosters in the league, but didn't figure out how to use it effectively. Imagine being in the bottom half of the league in post efficiency with Lebron, AD, and Trez in your rotation.

Put pressure on the coaching staff, not Pelinka
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Who’s going to out score or defend their 3rd best player, Kyrie?

In their first matchup this season Kyrie scored 16 points on 7/17 shooting... In a game that Schroder and AD didn't even play in.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

In their first matchup this season Kyrie scored 16 points on 7/17 shooting... In a game that Schroder and AD didn't even play in.

KD didn't play that game
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

KD didn't play that game

Which should have meant more opportunities for Kyrie.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Bron-AD vs KD-Harden... prob wash point per point with us defensive edge
DS-Trez vs Kyrie... our 6MOYs better keep up as 3rd option (Kyrie much better but is better D)
KCP vs Joe H... Man! Battle of the snipers, kick out 3s, KCP better step the f up, I hope (Joe H is on fire)
Gasol vs DeAndre... wash, with Gasol stretch 5, DJ PnLob
Kuz-Morris-THT-AC vs Blake-Jeff G-Shamet-B Brown... we should have the bench edge on both side of the ball here
Wes-Luwalu Everybody else prob won’t play

Man, can our defense cover for Kyrie-Hoe Harris offensive advantage
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

KD didn't play that game

Which should have meant more opportunities for Kyrie.

I see it as more opportunities to scheme against Kyrie defensively.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

Sadly, this is the NBA in 2021.

I think players dictating where they want to go and play is the going to be the new normal.

We are spoiled fans having just won the title and now see our chances to repeat hard to fathom with the juggernaut Brooklyn Nets.

For me, I am not going to waste my time slamming the Lakers, Pelinka or anyone else. The Lakers built the best team at the time to defend the title based on what they could spend....with the exception of screwing up not bringing back Dwight.

Pelinka is not stupid, and is probably one of the sharpest GMs in the league...don't think for a minute he is happy with what he has currently.

With that said, the Lakers don't have a ton of open cash and picks to throw at any available player. They have to be super crafty.

I have faith that Pelinka will be making a move or two to fine tune this roster.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Pelinka already did his magic. We have one of the most offensively talented rosters in the league, but didn't figure out how to use it effectively. Imagine being in the bottom half of the league in post efficiency with Lebron, AD, and Trez in your rotation.

Put pressure on the coaching staff, not Pelinka

I kind of agree.
Pelinka did a nice of job of adding viable assets to this roster (not an easy job considering what he had to work with).
I'm confused by our rotaions, but also willing to give Vogs the benefit of the doubt that he's experimenting and we will get in a groove down the stretch.
I really thought that our starting 5 would be KCP/Wes/LBJ/AD/Gasol, very similar to our starting 5 last year (sub Gasol/Wes for Jav/Green).
Then the major difference from last year would be the much improved bench.
I saw DS/Kuz/Trez headlining the best bench in the league (a bit like the Clips last season), with 3 guys who could go off for 20+ any given night.
I saw that 2nd unit playing long stretches, thereby giving LBJ/AD lots of rest (needed due to age/injury concerns and the shortened off season).
Then I thought Vogs would experiment a bit with a closing 5, with LBJ/AD surrounded by the best matchups/hottest players, though I figured we had the closing 5 from last years chip rteam (AD/KCP/LBJ/Kieff/AD).
I still don't love Dennis in the starting 5, nor Trez playing with LBJ/AD.
Both seem like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
I think both would be better if they were "freed up" to play their games on a 2nd unit and sort of taken off the leash so to speak.
Just my 2 cents.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Sadly, this is the NBA in 2021.

I think players dictating where they want to go and play is the going to be the new normal.

We are spoiled fans having just won the title and now see our chances to repeat hard to fathom with the juggernaut Brooklyn Nets.

For me, I am not going to waste my time slamming the Lakers, Pelinka or anyone else. The Lakers built the best team at the time to defend the title based on what they could spend....with the exception of screwing up not bringing back Dwight.

Pelinka is not stupid, and is probably one of the sharpest GMs in the league...don't think for a minute he is happy with what he has currently.

With that said, the Lakers don't have a ton of open cash and picks to throw at any available player. They have to be super crafty.

I have faith that Pelinka will be making a move or two to fine tune this roster.

In today's game, you often need to be the superteam or beat an injured superteam.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

I hope people will cut LBJ/AD some slack. They only formed to make a duo. Having 3 all NBA/all stars together in their prime, plus adding Blake and potentially Drummond? No excuses for the Nets, even including injuries.

They will be a formidable team but something we won't have to worry about until/if we meet in the Finals. We all thought a Clips/Lakers collision course was happening and the Clips spectacularly flamed out.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I hope people will cut LBJ/AD some slack. They only formed to make a duo. Having 3 all NBA/all stars together in their prime, plus adding Blake and potentially Drummond? No excuses for the Nets, even including injuries.

They will be a formidable team but something we won't have to worry about until/if we meet in the Finals. We all thought a Clips/Lakers collision course was happening and the Clips spectacularly flamed out.

Don't disagree with you at all that the Nets are formidable.
However, remember 2004. The "unstoppable" Lakers with the 2 best players in the league plus 2 HOF vets flamed out against a no name "basketball team", who played as a team and frankly outcoached us. Now injuries were a major factor for us, but the Pistons/Brown played brilliant "team" basketball.
A team like the Lakers today, with 2 top players in the league, playing that cohesive "team" basketball on both sides of the court, could beat even these formidable Nets stars.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

However, remember 2004. The "unstoppable" Lakers with the 2 best players in the league plus 2 HOF vets flamed out against a no name "basketball team", who played as a team and frankly outcoached us. Now injuries were a major factor for us, but the Pistons/Brown played brilliant "team" basketball.
A team like the Lakers today, with 2 top players in the league, playing that cohesive "team" basketball on both sides of the court, could beat even these formidable Nets stars.

What killed that 2004 team was the Shaq/Kobe feud, and the final straw that broke the camel's back was Malone's injury. I think we had a 50/50 chance of beating the Pistons with our dysfunctional team if we had a healthy Malone. That Pistons team was just firing on all cylinders.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What killed that 2004 team was the Shaq/Kobe feud, and the final straw that broke the camel's back was Malone's injury. I think we had a 50/50 chance of beating the Pistons with our dysfunctional team if we had a healthy Malone. That Pistons team was just firing on all cylinders.

Totally agree with you on this.
My point is that Pistons team played amazing team basketball, played over their heads so to speak, and that a similar effort by our team (both players and coaching) could overcome even a formidable "super team" like the Nets.
We would be even better because we have the stars, just need the team effort, especially defensively.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5772, 5773, 5774 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5773 of 8560
Jump to: