OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5752, 5753, 5754 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Using the last 2 way spots are good to find the next Alex Caruso. I think we've seen enough from Cacok/Kostas to know they are unlikely to be future pieces. Maybe I might keep Cacok but Kostas is 2 years away from being 4 years away. Why not use that spot on someone who we can see panning out as a bench player down the road?

I stated this multiple times in the recent past. However I realize there is diplomacy that needs to be considered in relations with agents. Otherwise you become the Celtics and Ainge who from my perspective has burned a few bridges.

Giannis signed his extension months ago. I think it's ok now to cut him off. Giannis won't be a free agent for nearly half a decade.

Well he does have other clients including Bam and that other guard on the Lakers.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Kostas dunk after free throw miss was one for the ages.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Some of theses names remind me of some no name Alt Coins that are poised for the Moon. 😆

In reality if the Lakers need the services of a 2-way player then this team is f*****.

However if used right then you can build depth and maybe find a gem. Need to follow the Raptors model.

I don't know if there is really a model. You're talking about guys who have played in the NBA three years or less, that no team is willing to invest a minimum contract on. Sure, everyone would love to find a gem, but the vast majority of D league guys never turn into anything. If you could really tell they were a gem they wouldn't be in the D league in the first place.

This is such a strange take when Alex Caruso plays a key role on a championship team on a dirt cheap contract.

I don't see your point.

As I said, there are a small handful of D league players who have panned out (of course, I am not referring to players who were drafted and assigned to the D league while under contract to an NBA team).

Caruso is one of that small handful who panned out.

But that doesn't happen often, and that doesn't mean we have some formula to identify the next Alex Caruso.

All recent UDFA's who now have prominent roles with their NBA teams.

Duncan Robinson, AC, FVV, Boucher, Christian Wood, Derrick Jones Jr., Kendrick Nunn, Luguentz Dort

There are a handful of others who are contributing to their teams in lesser roles but used the gleague to display and further develop their talents.

No one mentioned a formula but implementing a system to best take advantage of this resource is what was implied using the term Model. Obviously the Heat and Raptors have a system in place to utilize this resource to identify and acquire cheap talent. Otherwise they are extremely lucky. It's like any minor league system only a few will succeed but should you not take advantage of it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Using the last 2 way spots are good to find the next Alex Caruso. I think we've seen enough from Cacok/Kostas to know they are unlikely to be future pieces. Maybe I might keep Cacok but Kostas is 2 years away from being 4 years away. Why not use that spot on someone who we can see panning out as a bench player down the road?

I stated this multiple times in the recent past. However I realize there is diplomacy that needs to be considered in relations with agents. Otherwise you become the Celtics and Ainge who from my perspective has burned a few bridges.

Giannis signed his extension months ago. I think it's ok now to cut him off. Giannis won't be a free agent for nearly half a decade.

Well he does have other clients including Bam and that other guard on the Lakers.

Eh. It’s one thing to have someone who is actually an NBA player. Kostas isn’t that.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Eh. It’s one thing to have someone who is actually an NBA player. Kostas isn’t that.

This doesn't address my diplomacy point. Relationships matter i.e KCP-Lebron-AD-Klutch.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This doesn't address my diplomacy point. Relationships matter i.e KCP-Lebron-AD-Klutch.

This is nowhere near the magnitude of Klutch. Dennis likes being a Laker and is probably looking to sign. Kostas being kept on a 2 way contract is what will decide whether Dennis stays or goes? Highly doubtful. The main relationship was with Giannis. And he's extended for nearly half a decade. Cutting Kostas won't hurt our chances of keeping Dennis. If it does, then Dennis needs new representation.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

This is nowhere near the magnitude of Klutch. Dennis likes being a Laker and is probably looking to sign. Kostas being kept on a 2 way contract is what will decide whether Dennis stays or goes? Highly doubtful. The main relationship was with Giannis. And he's extended for nearly half a decade. Cutting Kostas won't hurt our chances of keeping Dennis. If it does, then Dennis needs new representation.

It's not just Dennis, there is Bam and possibly others. You still need to sow the seeds for the future, 2-3 years down the line. I can see RP's side being an ex-agent and fostering relationships being a priority for continued success. Kosta's is a minor inconvenience so to speak but possibly major repercussions in 2-3 years. KCP gave hope to Lebron but who would have thought upon his signing AD would also be here.

As I mentioned earlier if Lakers need to rely on a 2-way player then they are *******. I prefer he be replaced but Lakers can wait till next offseason to address this.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Who cares about a 2-way contract? If there is a must get guy available for a 2-way I’m sure the scouts will let Rob know. Until then, what does it matter if Kostas is still on one?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Who cares about a 2-way contract? If there is a must get guy available for a 2-way I’m sure the scouts will let Rob know. Until then, what does it matter if Kostas is still on one?

Because he's proven he sucks.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

This reminds me of when we picked up JR Smith at the end of last season, and some people got all worked up as if it mattered one way or the other.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka has some decisions to make with this roster
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It's not just Dennis, there is Bam and possibly others. You still need to sow the seeds for the future, 2-3 years down the line. I can see RP's side being an ex-agent and fostering relationships being a priority for continued success. Kosta's is a minor inconvenience so to speak but possibly major repercussions in 2-3 years. KCP gave hope to Lebron but who would have thought upon his signing AD would also be here.

As I mentioned earlier if Lakers need to rely on a 2-way player then they are *******. I prefer he be replaced but Lakers can wait till next offseason to address this.

Why are you focused on guys who just signed lengthy extensions?

KCP is actually an NBA player, let alone LBJ/AD. If Kostas was KCP’s level for sure we should keep him. But he’s proven to not be an NBA Player. And with our roster being tested with injuries and COVID protocols, every spot matters.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Why are you focused on guys who just signed lengthy extensions?

KCP is actually an NBA player, let alone LBJ/AD. If Kostas was KCP’s level for sure we should keep him. But he’s proven to not be an NBA Player. And with our roster being tested with injuries and COVID protocols, every spot matters.

You don't get it so that's fine.

I will just be repeating myself so I will move on.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

This reminds me of when we picked up JR Smith at the end of last season, and some people got all worked up as if it mattered one way or the other.

*bong rip*
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Guess Vogel doesnt like Trez.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

He wasn’t the only one tonight, but a bad defensive game for him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Something to keep a eye on with the whole issue between Vogel and Trezz and the Lakers not inking DS to a extension yet, Trade deadline might get very interesting
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
RashardA wrote:

He wasn’t the only one tonight, but a bad defensive game for him.

But that was against Ayton who didn’t even play in the 4th
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject:

Is there a chance we can trade Trezz for Favors?

That would be a good trade for both teams
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

Favors doesn’t move the needle, it was reported that if Trezz was available he would have a lot of interest we can do better than Derrick Favors..
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject:

I’m at the point where I’m kinda hoping we just cut Matthew’s even if it doesn’t give us any sort of advantage to do so, just to take him away as an option Vogel can go to. He’s just god awful. I keep hoping he will look even partially like the guy he was last season each game he comes in, but somehow he gets worse game after game.

KCP better wake the (bleep) up after the break. He’s been almost as bad as Wes the last few weeks.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
matigol wrote:

Favors doesn’t move the needle, it was reported that if Trezz was available he would have a lot of interest we can do better than Derrick Favors..

I doubt the front office have any plans to trade Trez this season. But I do wonder how the team would look if we had Myles Turner instead. For one, Vogel would probably play him more since he's a defense first guy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You don't get it so that's fine.

I will just be repeating myself so I will move on.

I understand it. I disagree with it, particularly the examples you used (KCP/Klutch). Kostas is just not even close to being an NBA player. That actually matters.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
I’m at the point where I’m kinda hoping we just cut Matthew’s even if it doesn’t give us any sort of advantage to do so, just to take him away as an option Vogel can go to. He’s just god awful. I keep hoping he will look even partially like the guy he was last season each game he comes in, but somehow he gets worse game after game.

KCP better wake the (bleep) up after the break. He’s been almost as bad as Wes the last few weeks.

That's the story of KCPs career. He usually goes through at least one long cold spell every season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

I don't have a problem with your general point about maintaining relationships with agents, but I'm skeptical that Kostas is particularly important to any agent that matters. Heck, we've kept him on the roster for a good long time, even though it was apparent long ago that he wasn't likely to develop into an NBA quality player. If we ever have a need for his roster spot, I don't see any diplomatic reason to keep him around.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5752, 5753, 5754 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5753 of 8560
Jump to: