OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5520, 5521, 5522 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Just naming the guys the Lakers have hit on with late 1st/2nd round picks is amazing. Will need more of the same going forward. We already have a great core to build on post LeBron with AD/Trezz/Kuz/KCP/Schroder/THT/Caruso

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Imagine adding 2-3 of those caliber guys to our team over the next couple drafts.

Thomas Bryant 13 and 7 with a 21 PER

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk 9 PPG with 40.4 FG3%
Lakerwayne
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject:

ya delly better shooter but Caruso is also way more athletic and that can’t be taught or learned like shooting can

Last edited by Lakerwayne on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
AD extension! The goal for building our future team around AD should be

1. Internal player development
2. Making most of limited drafted capital (We need a repeat of Hart/Kuz/Bonga/Wanger/Zubac)
3. Finding diamonds in the rough on the free agent market in the future (Shaq Harrison

The Tim Duncan/Spurs method.

Time to buy some 2nd rd picks.

Just naming the guys the Lakers have hit on with late 1st/2nd round picks is amazing. Will need more of the same going forward. We already have a great core to build on post LeBron with AD/Trezz/Kuz/KCP/Schroder/THT/Caruso

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Imagine adding 2-3 of those caliber guys to our team over the next couple drafts.

Exactly. Perfect young, energetic role players on cheap contracts.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Lakers have been terrific drafting late especially. Not many if any have done better. Hopefully that continues when we start getting picks back or buying them in future years as we'll obviously be capped out most years for the foreseeable future.

THT imo could very well end up being the best late pick since Marc and hardly anyone outside of die hard fans even know who he is but that will change this season.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Forgot Svi! That's mind blowing the Lakers have hit on so many consecutive picks. Sucks in hindsight we gave up Bonga and Wagner for nothing. The Svi for Bullock deal made sense to me at the time. The Zubac trade will forever be confusing.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Woj:
Sources: NBA’s Competition Committee registered strong support today for increasing league’s active player list for games from 13 to 15. Board of Governors must give final approval to a move that makes sense given shortened season and concerns over Covid impact on rosters.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1334641456422719488

Maybe this would nudge the Lakers to add player #14, and then #15 in mid season.
MikeTrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Unless they really don't fit or cause problems, I really hope we extend both Schroder and Harrell past their current contracts. That way, at the very least we'll have our core for the next 3-5 years. If either or both leave at the end of their contracts, it will be really hard for us to replace them given that we'll be over the cap.

Schroder is easy because of his Bird rights. They can pay him whatever.

Harrell is harder because the most the Lakers can offer is like 3/35 or 4/48, and I'm not sure that would do it.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Quote:
Woj:
Sources: NBA’s Competition Committee registered strong support today for increasing league’s active player list for games from 13 to 15. Board of Governors must give final approval to a move that makes sense given shortened season and concerns over Covid impact on rosters.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1334641456422719488

Maybe this would nudge the Lakers to add player #14, and then #15 in mid season.

We are forced to have a 14th player. And yes, the 15th player will come in the buyout market.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject:

alohalakers wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Trying to think of reasonable salary amounts for potential Kuz/Caruso extensions. Neither is indispensable, but it can be tricky trying to replace them with minimum contract free agents.

Kuz: 3/$40-45?
Caruso: 3/$20-25?

A bit rich, but neither seems unmovable and Kuz could continue to improve making his deal a bargain.

If Kuz gets offered $15 million year, I'd let him walk. At $10 million, he's near enough to MLE to trade.

I am not sure what Caruso's market value is. Hard to imagine anyone giving him $8 million a year.

Since we have almost no cap space for the next two years, you need Kuzma's salary as trade ballast if another star wants to join the Lakers via trade. If you let him walk for nothing, that's losing a possibly valuable trade chip that you can't replace because of lack of cap space.

I think the Lakers would be smart if they get Kuzma to sign a 4 year $50 - $52 million contract, similar to Jordan Clarkson. Either he balls out this year and it's a good deal for the Lakers, or they can use him in future trades with KCP.

If they wait until he's restricted next year, you run the risk of screwing with his confidence for the upcoming year. I don't think he plays well under pressure. With the security of a contract extension, I think he'd be a better player.

I see no reason to rush to give him an extension. He's a restricted free agent. I'd wait to see how he performs this year. If that screws up his confidence, he's not going to be that good anyway.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Yeah, Lakers have been terrific drafting late especially. Not many if any have done better. Hopefully that continues when we start getting picks back or buying them in future years as we'll obviously be capped out most years for the foreseeable future.

THT imo could very well end up being the best late pick since Marc and hardly anyone outside of die hard fans even know who he is but that will change this season.

It is too bad the Lakers were not able to buy a 2nd rd pick ( if they were even trying ?) to keep the pipeline full of those inexpensive developmental players as the final roster spots. Because they have been so good at it.

Looking at the past draft picks 31-50 there were several PGs especially that would have looked good over the most suggested FAs left to choose from. Lost opportunity?

As for THT. Going to be interesting to see if this kid ( and yes he is still a kid in NBA terms) can live up to the expectations. I keep seeing some lofty comments on his impact this year. I hope to see it. But if he can just make it into the rotation and give 10 mpg without it embarrassing himself it would be a huge accomplishment. Let’s hope he is the next in line from that list of late round successes by Laker scouts.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Forgot Svi! That's mind blowing the Lakers have hit on so many consecutive picks. Sucks in hindsight we gave up Bonga and Wagner for nothing. The Svi for Bullock deal made sense to me at the time. The Zubac trade will forever be confusing.

Magic said "(bleep) them kids!"

Jesse Buss as Scouting Director seems to be the common denominator. Anthony Brown has been the Lakers only late pick miss since 2014, which is crazy to think about given how few players selected outside the lottery ever stick in the NBA.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

2. Making most of limited drafted capital (We need a repeat of Hart/Kuz/Bonga/Wanger/Zubac)
3. Finding diamonds in the rough on the free agent market in the future (Shaq Harrison

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Are y’all sure they cheap?
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
It is too bad the Lakers were not able to buy a 2nd rd pick ( if they were even trying ?) to keep the pipeline full of those inexpensive developmental players as the final roster spots. Because they have been so good at it.

Teams weren't really selling picks, at least not in the traditional sense. It might be cash, but there's usually a future pick involved. I think in the last 3 drafts, there was only two draft pick that was actually sold for cash. 2017 was kind of an anomaly where we saw 3 picks get sold for cash.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Teams weren't really selling picks, at least not in the traditional sense. It might be cash, but there's usually a future pick involved. I think in the last 3 drafts, there was only two draft pick that was actually sold for cash. 2017 was kind of an anomaly where we saw 3 picks get sold for cash.

Might be ok, looks like there’s undrafted gems out there this yr
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Good point. All hitting that last year of rookie contracts or re-signed new ones. None below $3.5m per year. So a vet min contract has more flexibility and being a “ bargain”.

Definitely want to get those young guys early on a couple years of rookies contracts. Problem is getting the on court impact from them. Which is why I it is even more puzzling the Lakers did not add another to the mix this past draft.

Who knows maybe they are expecting development and potential contributions over the season from the collection of deep roster free agents and 2ways. If THT is the “surprise “ contributor this year, will one of those players earn that role by the end of the season or into next year?

Always fun to speculate.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
alohalakers wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Trying to think of reasonable salary amounts for potential Kuz/Caruso extensions. Neither is indispensable, but it can be tricky trying to replace them with minimum contract free agents.

Kuz: 3/$40-45?
Caruso: 3/$20-25?

A bit rich, but neither seems unmovable and Kuz could continue to improve making his deal a bargain.

If Kuz gets offered $15 million year, I'd let him walk. At $10 million, he's near enough to MLE to trade.

I am not sure what Caruso's market value is. Hard to imagine anyone giving him $8 million a year.

Since we have almost no cap space for the next two years, you need Kuzma's salary as trade ballast if another star wants to join the Lakers via trade. If you let him walk for nothing, that's losing a possibly valuable trade chip that you can't replace because of lack of cap space.

I think the Lakers would be smart if they get Kuzma to sign a 4 year $50 - $52 million contract, similar to Jordan Clarkson. Either he balls out this year and it's a good deal for the Lakers, or they can use him in future trades with KCP.

If they wait until he's restricted next year, you run the risk of screwing with his confidence for the upcoming year. I don't think he plays well under pressure. With the security of a contract extension, I think he'd be a better player.

I see no reason to rush to give him an extension. He's a restricted free agent. I'd wait to see how he performs this year. If that screws up his confidence, he's not going to be that good anyway.

Yeah- extending a guy who doesn’t play well under pressure would be insane.

You pay guys who play well under pressure.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

They are when they’re on their rookie deals.

And if they turn out to be good players, you have their bird rights and can pay them or use them to construct trades.

Having talented players on rookie deals is gold in the NBA.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Magic said "(bleep) them kids!"

Jesse Buss as Scouting Director seems to be the common denominator. Anthony Brown has been the Lakers only late pick miss since 2014, which is crazy to think about given how few players selected outside the lottery ever stick in the NBA.

It’s an incredible success rate. Only 50% of non-lottery 1st rounders become rotation players, and half the guys on that list are 2nd rounders, where the success rate is more like 10%.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Our scouting is really great. Most teams can't even choose good players in the first round (cough cough Boston Celtics cough cough).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

The challenge is that second round picks usually only get playing time on bad teams. If you're a contender, like we are now with a deep roster of good veterans, the rookies stay glued to the bench because you are focused on winning now.

If we drafted Clarkson, Hart, etc. today, I doubt they'd get any run because there are so many mouths ahead of them to feed.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

The challenge is that second round picks usually only get playing time on bad teams. If you're a contender, like we are now with a deep roster of good veterans, the rookies stay glued to the bench because you are focused on winning now.

If we drafted Clarkson, Hart, etc. today, I doubt they'd get any run because there are so many mouths ahead of them to feed.

Mostly correct - but let's not to pretend for it to be such a black and white.

The best place for SRP (and late first as well) is actually on a good team when they can ease their way into the league from position 13 to 15 on the roster to single digits number if they show necessary progress. DFish/DGeorge kind. And lately more and more undrafted players (like AC) make their way through on the GOOD teams when they are not thrown into the fire and forced to perform (that's what mostly happens on the bad teams, like you elaborated)
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

I didn't want Dwight, Rondo or Avery in a Clipper jersey next year and they all ended up signing with other teams.

I wanted Markieff back and it happened.

With Gasol coming on board, someone with all around skills that improved the position despite losing the athleticism, size and defense of Howard.

I feel the FO is waiting for 1 or 2 particular players to be waived.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

Lakerwayne wrote:
ya delly better shooter but Caruso is also way more athletic and that can’t be taught or learned like shooting can

If shooting was easily taught or learned, there'd be a ton of athletic shooters in the league.

At the pro level, a shooting coach can make a player incrementally better, but you rarely see a poor shooter coached up into becoming a knockdown shooter, and IMO, the gains are generally short-lived.

Finally, a coach can correct your mechanics, but a lot of shooting is mental. There are legions of players who are 48% three point shooters in practice and 34% shooters in games (hello, Sasha Vujacic), or most often, 85% FT shooters in practice and 65% shooters in games.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

Let’s get this Kuzma extension done!
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance
Kyle Kuzma
Josh Hart
Mo Wagner
Ivicia Zubac
Issac Bonga

Mostly correct - but let's not to pretend for it to be such a black and white.

The best place for SRP (and late first as well) is actually on a good team when they can ease their way into the league from position 13 to 15 on the roster to single digits number if they show necessary progress. DFish/DGeorge kind. And lately more and more undrafted players (like AC) make their way through on the GOOD teams when they are not thrown into the fire and forced to perform (that's what mostly happens on the bad teams, like you elaborated)

Agreed. You give these guys run and developmental experience with the G-league squad, then moving them into the rotation with the big team if their development warrants it/

Caruso and THT (based off playoff sample and expectations for this season) are perfect examples.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5520, 5521, 5522 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5521 of 8560
Jump to: