OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5478, 5479, 5480 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Imagine having 2 Top 5 players on the same team and winning a championship, and then having issue with it after a monster improvement during the offseason.

We have the benefit of hindsight now. The trade was a hijacking on our part.

100%, both teams did well on the trade... but we won 100%, you do that trade 10 out of 10

Welcome to the discussion Ocho
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The NBA is a relationship league too. Can't just rip off GMs one by one unless you're helping them reach a specific goal they have in mind.

But keeping BI means LAL loses. There's no way LAL is a top tier defensive team without AD. Period.

I wish we still have BI and Zo but it is what it is. Their timeline was not gonna be aligning with Lebron. Now everyone must move on. We have AD, we should plan to win now while building around him. If he sign 2+ 1 and Giannis sign his Supermax then we go all in the next 2 years. Showcase our youth in the regular season and give our other core guys reasons to stay.

Agreed.

Even I was pro youth-core and wanted to kids to play alongside AD because it was a longer window. Admittedly, I wasn't sure about LeBron with health and age considering LAL's past with dealing with injuries.

Fortunately, one of the first moves for the turnaround was hiring Dr. Judy Seto.

I still love the youth core guys too, but not for anywhere near the expense of a Laker championship. Honestly, it was likely a good idea for each of those guys to move to a different team. BI got time to shine. Lonzo changed his form. Yet, what happened to Kuzma's development?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Imagine having 2 Top 5 players on the same team and winning a championship, and then having issue with it after a monster improvement during the offseason.

I certainly didn't feel that way when the trade first happened, but I certainly wouldn't complain about having a future HOFer on the team either.

ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

I’m curious who we think may get bought out this year. Any thoughts on potential midseason cuts?

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Dedmon is nice insurance to me for Marc Gasol. I understand the concern that he may not get many minutes however he’s not going to get major minutes from any team at this point. Maybe Charlotte.

He can leverage the Lakers for a year to drum up his value playing with Lebron and AD. For us, he’s nice cheap insurance for Marc.

I'd rather have a more talented player. I think Dedmon is overrated right now because he's likely the best of the remaining free agent 5s.

Unfortunately, I think there are better centers overseas, but LAL doesn't have the flexibility to acquire them.

SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I’m curious who we think may get bought out this year. Any thoughts on potential midseason cuts?

Derrick Rose?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

1. The Lakers make the playoffs in 2019-20 for the first time since the 2012-13 season.

2. The Lakers win the championship.

3. Posters complain about what happened in Summer 2019.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Welcome back sentiment meat. Now get lost with all the BI nonsense

BILBJH = Sentient Meat ?
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Dedmon is nice insurance to me for Marc Gasol. I understand the concern that he may not get many minutes however he’s not going to get major minutes from any team at this point. Maybe Charlotte.

He can leverage the Lakers for a year to drum up his value playing with Lebron and AD. For us, he’s nice cheap insurance for Marc.

I'd rather have a more talented player. I think Dedmon is overrated right now because he's likely the best of the remaining free agent 5s.

Unfortunately, I think there are better centers overseas, but LAL doesn't have the flexibility to acquire them.

Mike, my primary concern is I expect AD, Bron and even Marc to miss a fair amount of time in the regular season. I don’t see AD or even Bron playing back to back’s.

I’m more concerned with our rim protection as I think we may struggle with defence. Not specifically just with Jokic - I just think we lost some of that advantage we had over teams last year in deterring the paint.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Derrick Rose?

I think Clippers acquire him mid season.

AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Derrick Rose?

I think he gets traded before he gets bought out. If they can flip him for a future pick they will
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I certainly didn't feel that way when the trade first happened, but I certainly wouldn't complain about having a future HOFer on the team either.

I didn’t feel that way at the time either. You see the draft considerations and it looks like a lot. Then you look closer and realize the swaps are never going to convey and the best pick they got out of it was in a bad draft. Josh Hart isn’t worth fretting over, Lonzo may never figure it out, and Ingram is good but now dramatically overpaid. In exchange we got a generational player who delivered a title in Year 1 and will have us going into this season as the clear favorites to repeat. The Pelicans added our core to their resident fringe All Star in Holiday and won 30 games. Congrats.

This is a silly conversation.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

BILBJH = Sentient Meat ?

Yupe
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Mike, my primary concern is I expect AD, Bron and even Marc to miss a fair amount of time in the regular season. I don’t see AD or even Bron playing back to back’s.

I’m more concerned with our rim protection as I think we may struggle with defence. Not specifically just with Jokic - I just think we lost some of that advantage we had over teams last year in deterring the paint.

You have 10 less games during the regular season, likely less travel compared to last season, and added WAY more depth compared to last season where LAL was still the #1 team.

LAL just signed the #2 and #3 team defensive rating players in Marc Gasol and Wesley Matthews.

Considering what resources the Lakers have, I don't really see how they could have done much better overall.

Rim protection isn't blocked shots. It's position and holding it.

The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

AD for BI and a bunch or role players and late round draft picks. That was robbery. Some people are never satisfied. Let's enjoy this championship guys, you never know when you will get another one.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I didn’t feel that way at the time either. You see the draft considerations and it looks like a lot. Then you look closer and realize the swaps are never going to convey and the best pick they got out of it was in a bad draft. Josh Hart isn’t worth fretting over, Lonzo may never figure it out, and Ingram is good but now dramatically overpaid. In exchange we got a generational player who delivered a title in Year 1 and will have us going into this season as the clear favorites to repeat. The Pelicans added our core to their resident fringe All Star in Holiday and won 30 games. Congrats.

This is a silly conversation.

Agreed. If anything I'd even argue that there are owners out there that have different goals for running a team. Some teams make it look REALLY obvious that they're happy constantly recruiting talent to take advantage of talent on limited guaranteed rookie contracts to generate noise, while LAL is focused on championships.

It worked for both teams too.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
32 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

BILBJH = Sentient Meat ?

Yupe

Thanks. lol
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

The team that trades a superstar generally will never get equal value back.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

wonder how much load management rob is talking about...

players that really need it - lbj, ad, gasol, anyone else?

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-rob-pelinka-hints-at-load-management-for-lebron-james/2020/11/28/
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ahaider wrote:

You have 10 less games during the regular season, likely less travel compared to last season, and added WAY more depth compared to last season where LAL was still the #1 team.

LAL just signed the #2 and #3 team defensive rating players in Marc Gasol and Wesley Matthews.

Considering what resources the Lakers have, I don't really see how they could have done much better overall.

Rim protection isn't blocked shots. It's position and holding it.

Yup, DB provided Advanced Stats in a previous post that suggest that Trez/Marc provide roughly equivalent rim protection to McGee/Howard - they just do it differently.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The team that trades a superstar generally will never get equal value back.

It's just plain dumb to question the trade specially after we just won a championship and after our gm set us up for next couple of years
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

The only player I kinda miss is Hart.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Agree with this take...not only that... but I was watching the Sixer / Raptor game 7 on NBA TV....Gasol is absolute horrible on defending the pick n roll. Butler, Reddick, Harris etc would either drive right past him or pull up every time. Gasol did well one on one with Embid....but forget about the PNR...Dwight is superior to him in that regard. I know we have Trez and Kief but again both those guys are way too small when we go up against legit bigs. I still think we need one more legit big than can play 15 minutes against bigger centers. Just my opinion.
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The only player I kinda miss is Hart.
I don’t missed any of those players! We won the championship and people are talking about players who they missed on a non playoff team. People are so dumb!
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
You guys should start a separate thread about how awesome it would be to have a team full of our draft picks that is almost as expensive as the current team but would have trouble making the playoffs in the West.

This thread is the FA thread- talking about how we can make the current team even better.

You know, the defending NBA Champions- thanks to Lebron, AD, KCP, Rondo, Danny Green, Kief, Dwight and all the other guys who weren’t signed out of college/drafted by the Lakers, except Caruso, who balled out when the pressure was the highest, and Kuz, who barely contributed in the playoffs.

Pleas start a new thread and stop wasting everyone’s time in this thread with fantasy basketball takes about the former young Lakers.

The discussion is about team and resource management which is relevant to the topic.

No- it’s called hijacking a thread. That’s why multiple people are saying put it in a separate thread.

If it’s such a worthy topic of discussion, it deserves its own thread, and the people who want to engage can do so to their heart’s content.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5478, 5479, 5480 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5479 of 8560
Jump to: