OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5472, 5473, 5474 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
As part of their roster moves, the Los Angeles Lakers reversed course and did not end up stretching Quinn Cook's salary. Because of the JaVale McGee trade and subsequent waiver of Jordan Bell, LA was able to take the full hit for Cook at $1M for the 2020-21 season.

Could we get him back for the min? He would earn even more and it would count less to the salary right?

No.

Pincus responded to someone that asked that and said they could since Cook wasn't stretched.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
As part of their roster moves, the Los Angeles Lakers reversed course and did not end up stretching Quinn Cook's salary. Because of the JaVale McGee trade and subsequent waiver of Jordan Bell, LA was able to take the full hit for Cook at $1M for the 2020-21 season.

Could we get him back for the min? He would earn even more and it would count less to the salary right?

No.

Pincus responded to someone that asked that and said they could since Cook wasn't stretched.

Yeah that's what I think as well

If stretched no, if waived yes

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

No.

Now that would be awkward lol....forget about a Cook reunion, sign Ferrell or Mudiay and Mahimi/Dedmon....cut McKinnie if Ariza is bought out.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

No.

Now that would be awkward lol....forget about a Cook reunion, sign Ferrel or Mudiay and Mahimi/Dedmon....cut McKinnie if Ariza is bought out.

We have 2 bigs from gleague so I don't think we need a big. Sign 2 glue guys and keep 1 spot open
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

No.

Now that would be awkward lol....forget about a Cook reunion, sign Ferrell or Mudiay and Mahimi/Dedmon....cut McKinnie if Ariza is bought out.

can we just cut someone and have it not affect the apron if the salary is guaranteed?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

No.

Now that would be awkward lol....forget about a Cook reunion, sign Ferrel or Mudiay and Mahimi/Dedmon....cut McKinnie if Ariza is bought out.

We have 2 bigs from gleague so I don't think we need a big. Sign 2 glue guys and keep 1 spot open

Who are the two bigs from the G-League?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

No.

Look up
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
eagles nut wrote:
ocho wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

No.

Look up

I must be missing some signings.

Because you can't be referring to Cacock and Antetokounmpo as "bigs".
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Kostas added some weight, was listed as a very slender 6-10, 200 lbs last season. Perhaps he could provide the rim protection, rim running, and lob ability after losing McHoward.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
The faith that Kuzma will become something special while simultaneously believing Ingram would never be particularly be great by many on this board will always be a mystery to me. Even though Ingram was very young and trended upward every season and Kuzma was older and his eFG% regressed, people think... but, but his defense is improving. Had Ingram shot 30% then 31% from three two years in a row... the cries calling him trash would never end, but instead the criticism of Kuzma in constrast seems very muted.

I still hope Kuzma breaks out if we keep him and suddenly starts shooting high thirties from range... but if you go by statistical trends, it's hard to see that happening. That would be the only thing that would make me want to keep him over having Derrick Rose as a back up to Schroder.

Let the wounds heal. If we had social media in 1996, there would have been people saying that Kobe would never be anything more than a hot dog and that Shaq would never win anything. There are always disagreements about players. Sometimes you're right. Sometimes you're wrong. Even some of the most astute posters on the board have shot air balls. The Ingram Wars are over. Let it go.

As for Kuzma, he's been getting clobbered for years. The differences are (1) Ingram was a much higher pick with much higher expectations, and (2) Kuzma became a fan favorite for whatever reason, and people aren't always rational about fan favorites. However, Caruso is taking over his spot as the fan favorite who can do no wrong. Unlike Kuzma, Caruso actually has one above average NBA skill: he's a legitimately good defensive guard.

It just doesn't make sense why people would value Kuz over DRose with this roster. I don't dislike Kuz, as you said, he was amazing value considering his draft position... he does have talent. I just am deathly afraid they will overpay him because of those irrational fan favorite sentiments.

Rob has shown a strong, almost ruthless lack of sentiment this offseason so I still have faith we will make the right choice... but I'm more worried someone like Jeanie will intervene and there we might be next season saddled with a Clarkson like contract with someone who can't even create like Jordan can.

Sorry but who are these people that are wildly overrating Kuzma? There was hope after year 1 the shooting would maintain or improve. It got worse and so did people’s perception of him. He seems properly rated around here. I’ve seen a lot of player worship on this board over the years and Kuzma is not one of those guys. He’s a versatile wing who showed improvement on D last year. I don’t think any fan sees him as indispensable. Don’t think we have to worry about overpaying him when the people in charge have shopped him every deadline and declined to give him an extension that he’s currently eligible for.

There seems to be on Lakersground, and its probably true with many sports teams -- There are the true stars, popular, allstar players who make their fanbase proud win or lose. Then there are the underdogs and the whipping boys. For me, my first Laker underdog was 76-77 Tom Abernathy; we were playing our last game of the season, down by 15 points, left than a minute left, and he is diving for a loose ball, still trying to win. Chick Hearn praised him for 'never giving up." During the Showtime era it was Kurt Rambis, a good, but less talented grinder than the Laker greats he surrounded. My first whipping boy was Cedric Ceballos, AKA "Spring-break" who quit on the team one year and was jet-skiing I believe at Lake Havasu.

Through the years, I hated Brian Grant and I liked Bynum until he got paid the $$ and started sucking. I liked Sasha for his willingness to be willing to try and win, even when he failed. The last two points, the crucial free throws against Boston, were made by Sasha. I didn't like Randle, he didn't have the offensive skills, but acted like he was entitled, at least the way I saw it.

I never warmed up to BI, like a lot of the young players, he could put up stats on a losing team - but when paired with LeBron it didn't work. I think if Brandon had really connected and played well (like he does today) when paired with Lebron, we would have found a way to make it work. Kuzma came in as an underdog, Outperformed his contract for most of his time here and doesn't seem to have sulked when Lebron and Davis have taken over the show. Like it was said, Caruso is the new darling of the underdogs, and he too is vastly underpaid for what he does.

Kuzma is now the whipping boy, even if he is just the 10th best player on the Lakers. I think just this year he makes $3.1 million - if we give him the qualifying offer, I think it jumps to $5.1 million. If we trade him, let him walk next year, or re-sign him to a reasonable deal I'll be fine with it either way. And Brandon getting his max extension contract for the Pelicans? Good for him, glad it worked out, even if it wasn't in the purple and gold.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
The faith that Kuzma will become something special while simultaneously believing Ingram would never be particularly be great by many on this board will always be a mystery to me. Even though Ingram was very young and trended upward every season and Kuzma was older and his eFG% regressed, people think... but, but his defense is improving. Had Ingram shot 30% then 31% from three two years in a row... the cries calling him trash would never end, but instead the criticism of Kuzma in constrast seems very muted.

I still hope Kuzma breaks out if we keep him and suddenly starts shooting high thirties from range... but if you go by statistical trends, it's hard to see that happening. That would be the only thing that would make me want to keep him over having Derrick Rose as a back up to Schroder.

Let the wounds heal. If we had social media in 1996, there would have been people saying that Kobe would never be anything more than a hot dog and that Shaq would never win anything. There are always disagreements about players. Sometimes you're right. Sometimes you're wrong. Even some of the most astute posters on the board have shot air balls. The Ingram Wars are over. Let it go.

As for Kuzma, he's been getting clobbered for years. The differences are (1) Ingram was a much higher pick with much higher expectations, and (2) Kuzma became a fan favorite for whatever reason, and people aren't always rational about fan favorites. However, Caruso is taking over his spot as the fan favorite who can do no wrong. Unlike Kuzma, Caruso actually has one above average NBA skill: he's a legitimately good defensive guard.

It just doesn't make sense why people would value Kuz over DRose with this roster. I don't dislike Kuz, as you said, he was amazing value considering his draft position... he does have talent. I just am deathly afraid they will overpay him because of those irrational fan favorite sentiments.

Rob has shown a strong, almost ruthless lack of sentiment this offseason so I still have faith we will make the right choice... but I'm more worried someone like Jeanie will intervene and there we might be next season saddled with a Clarkson like contract with someone who can't even create like Jordan can.

Sorry but who are these people that are wildly overrating Kuzma? There was hope after year 1 the shooting would maintain or improve. It got worse and so did people’s perception of him. He seems properly rated around here. I’ve seen a lot of player worship on this board over the years and Kuzma is not one of those guys. He’s a versatile wing who showed improvement on D last year. I don’t think any fan sees him as indispensable. Don’t think we have to worry about overpaying him when the people in charge have shopped him every deadline and declined to give him an extension that he’s currently eligible for.

Yep. I am not sure people realize - but as of today I estimate contractual value of both, Kuz, and Clarkson, to be around an MLE for two/three seasons. Yet - Utah decided to overpay and give him 4 years deal at about 20% above MLE. If anything - Kuz IMHO might be slightly higher on that pay scale pole due to his improved defense. I like Jordan and wish him well as any former Lakers draft pick - but would be totally against signing him.

As it pertains to Kuz - sure, he can expect to get paid. But I simply don't see any value of signing him at anything above the MLE (at this time) and even that might be hindered by possibility to pursue better player(s).

In terms of real vs perceived value I see similarity with DFish/Horry/DGeorge from earlier championship seasons. If you are capable of knowing your role and understand your limitations (and team's fans do as well) - you stay, team wins and fans adore you (but - once more - there is no infatuation). If you (or your agent) do not - your life becomes traveling circus (see: Ariza, Trevor)

Someone here said Kuz is worth around 3 mil which is laughable considering how guys signing nowadays since the cap blew up. I think MLE is a good value for him. Pelinka did a great job this off season picking up bargains but those guys are betting themselves for a much bigger 2021 market.

If the Lakers want to plan for the big picture, they should showcase Kuz in the regular season. Start him on Green spot, extract the best possible version . Make him an intriguing trade asset so when a marquee player requested to be traded next off season, we finally have a player that can make it interesting. At worst if the plan does not go accordingly, we can match any offer sheet.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I dunno why people are worried about overpaying him when we can match any offer he can receive so in essence we don’t need to unless he deserved it.

Kuz roles have change every season and he also change his shooting form. That’s hard for young player especially for someone like him who has not refined his skillset yet.

I might be minority on believing on him but he has a strong work ethic. Same reason I was a BI believer and BI came into the league with more skills. Kuz was a late bloomer who was redshirted and have growth spurt late. His shooting will come along but his handle is definitely not quite there yet where he can get anywhere whenever he wants to.

So to me it’s just a matter of time before he put it together. He has the enough physical tools to be a very good player when it happen .
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

Nick Wright said a few days ago he thinks Anthony Davis is going to sign a 1+1 or 4+1. Nothing in between.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Nick Wright said a few days ago he thinks Anthony Davis is going to sign a 1+1 or 4+1. Nothing in between.

Is he waiting until 12/21 for the Giannis extension. And then taking the long term deal if Giannis takes super max?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
32 wrote:

Is he waiting until 12/21 for the Giannis extension. And then taking the long term deal if Giannis takes super max?

I don't think he can wait that long. Training camp starts Tuesday.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

Puma Hoops- THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION- KYLE KUZMA
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
ocho wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Yep. I am not sure people realize - but as of today I estimate contractual value of both, Kuz, and Clarkson, to be around an MLE for two/three seasons. Yet - Utah decided to overpay and give him 4 years deal at about 20% above MLE. If anything - Kuz IMHO might be slightly higher on that pay scale pole due to his improved defense. I like Jordan and wish him well as any former Lakers draft pick - but would be totally against signing him.

As it pertains to Kuz - sure, he can expect to get paid. But I simply don't see any value of signing him at anything above the MLE (at this time) and even that might be hindered by possibility to pursue better player(s).

In terms of real vs perceived value I see similarity with DFish/Horry/DGeorge from earlier championship seasons. If you are capable of knowing your role and understand your limitations (and team's fans do as well) - you stay, team wins and fans adore you (but - once more - there is no infatuation). If you (or your agent) do not - your life becomes traveling circus (see: Ariza, Trevor)

Someone here said Kuz is worth around 3 mil which is laughable considering how guys signing nowadays since the cap blew up. I think MLE is a good value for him. Pelinka did a great job this off season picking up bargains but those guys are betting themselves for a much bigger 2021 market.

If the Lakers want to plan for the big picture, they should showcase Kuz in the regular season. Start him on Green spot, extract the best possible version . Make him an intriguing trade asset so when a marquee player requested to be traded next off season, we finally have a player that can make it interesting. At worst if the plan does not go accordingly, we can match any offer sheet.

you start kuz at 2 and make him more valuable if he does well.
alternatively if he cannot handle guard speed, his value drops even more.

we were able to get matthews for the bae, and his 3p% was 39% last season.
in comparison, kuz 3p% was horrid at 31.6% last season and 30.8% the previous season.
so the alternative is to trade kuz EARLY hoping some team dreams on him, and get whatever you can get for him now.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

Playing for a championship team can turn a career around.
Rondo was a vet min player who got a big contract.
Howard was out of the league and now is in demand.
Kuz will be looking at a good contract next year.

The window is open as long as Lebron and Davis are together.
And Pelinka does his magic
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

Yet he goes out there bricks open 3s and has tunnel vision. Hes at best a 7th man on title team or stat stuffer on a lottery team. People act likes hes 21 with only 1 year of college. He had 4 years of college and now entering his 4th year. Guy peaked in summer league his rookie year
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Yet he goes out there bricks open 3s and has tunnel vision. Hes at best a 7th man on title team or stat stuffer on a lottery team. People act likes hes 21 with only 1 year of college. He had 4 years of college and now entering his 4th year. Guy peaked in summer league his rookie year

KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Yikes lol

Loco could either be right on the money or 100% wrong as Kuz balls out in his contract year.

Plus getting his first playoffs and finals run out the way gives him zero excuses to ball out this time around if we’re fortunate to get there again.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

Let’s hope Kuz has a chip on his shoulder. He is going into a contract year. Players usually play better to get that pay day (see Brandon Ingram). Hope he plays with more urgency and his IQ improves.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Let’s hope Kuz has a chip on his shoulder. He is going into a contract year. Players usually play better to get that pay day (see Brandon Ingram). Hope he plays with more urgency and his IQ improves.

Maybe Kuz can be Trezz’s Lou Will on this Lakers squad?

Lou and Trezz have been one of the best duos in the NBA the past two seasons.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Yikes lol

Loco could either be right on the money or 100% wrong as Kuz balls out in his contract year.

Plus getting his first playoffs and finals run out the way gives him zero excuses to ball out this time around if we’re fortunate to get there again.

This is how it works: call him the 7th/10th best player on the roster, expect him to produce like 3rd best player on the team.

then later go ahead and bash him for not producing per their expectations....

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Yikes lol

IT worked for KCP. Hopefully it will work for him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5472, 5473, 5474 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 5473 of 8560
Jump to: