OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4903, 4904, 4905 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Celtics are trying to prevent us from passing them next year in championships, I’m sure if the Celtics get Gobert, Pelinka will counter the move and be pro-active.

The Celtics have assets, the Lakers gave theirs up for AD.

And it paid off.

I'd rather have assets than championships but that's just me.

Candidate for worse post of the year!!!!!

Wow, no kidding. Huh? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site in 19 years.

sarcasm anyone?
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Shams Charania broke some huge news that the salary cap is expected to be $109 million and that the luxury tax is expected to be set at $132 million based upon current negotiations. This is less than what had previously been projected for this season ($115 million salary cap and $139 million luxury tax line). If true this is terrible news for the Lakers. It becomes practically impossible for the Lakers to re-sign KCP and Rondo and stay under the apron (about $138 million) once they use the MLE or even the bi-annual exception. Since using either the MLE or the bi-annual exception turns the apron into a hard cap, the Lakers have to basically pick between keeping KCP and Rondo via their bird rights, but only having the mini mid level exception (worth only about $5 million) or letting one or both of those guys go but having the full MLE and the bi-annual exception to use.

I would hate to lose Danny Green, but it seems like we need to trade him now just to free up a little space. Not sure how much it would help, but cannot afford to lose KCP and Rondo.

Instead of salary dumping Green onto a team with cap space just to clear salary, the Lakers could aggregate the salary of multiple players like Green, McGee, Kuzma, etc to try and improve the roster. It’s possible that trade will provide better opportunities than free agency given the Lakers’ sudden cap constraints.

But yeah, almost regardless of which direction the organization goes, it’s going to have to make some hard choices. Before the offseason I had high hopes that the Lakers could retain its key free agents and still use the full midlevel to bring in a really useful player like say Gallinari. Now it seems like that’s definitely not going to happen. I’m curious how much the organization values KCP and Rondo. And how much it thinks it needs to add a fresh face to provide something new or replace something that was lost. Rob Pelinka is going to have his work cut out for him over the next couple of months.

Internally, I’d say Rondo might have a slight edge. Externally, Rob will have to show he’s willing to do whatever to sign Mana from Heaven. He has to keep Klutch happy.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yytvhq2u

Works on the trade machine. Joe Ingles for DG + Kuz. Trade should save us a few million with Ingles making only 11.9M this season down to 10.8M next season.

Ingles can do anything Green can (except chasing down blocks) and then some. Ball handling, playmaking, off-dribble 3's are all upgrades over DG with very little drop off in defense if there's even any. Ingles is at the top 5 RPM for shooting guards last season. Watch a few bubble highlights to see the obvious difference between him and DG.

He's actually a few months younger than Green and is as durable as they come. Missed only 10 games in the last 4 seasons.

Then get Jeff Green for the minimum to replicate Kuz's contribution off the bench. So we'd end up saving a few million in cap space, upgrading our playmaking/ball handling while losing almost nothing.

There's a bunch of blockbuster trade ideas floating here but very few are realistic. Teams aren't gonna help the reigning champs by giving us their best or 2nd best players(Lavine, Hield etc)for what are perceived to be our expendable pieces. I'm aiming low with Ingles(6th man for a good chunk of their season) but I'm not even sure if Utah would do that trade for DG and Kuz.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
I was listening to the Ringer's NBA podcast and I have to say, I was liked their assessment of what we should do this offseason. In short, they think we have our eyes set on taking a shot at a max guy next off-season to pair with AD, so we need to keep our books clean this year, which makes a lot of sense. Giannis may be pipe, but it's hard not to go after him and/or Bradley Beal (Dipo, etc.). If AD opts for a 1+1 contract, it allows both Bron & AD to opt out next off-season, let Bron take a slight haircut and sign a legit big three that will have us competing for chips for the foreseeable future. It's hard to pass up on that possibility.

Signing KCP, Rondo or Dwight to a multi-year deal throws a serious wrench into that plan. So does trading half our roster for CP3 and his albatross contract (if you think he'll opt out, you're dreaming).

However, going after Dipo or Schroder as our big move makes tons of sense for this plan. Both would, if healthy, seriously improve our team and both are expiring contracts. For Dipo, it's a question of whether we have the bullets to acquire him (are Kuzma, 28 and/or THT enough to win that derby?), but he's one of those possible 2021 targets ... so it makes sense to give him a shot this year and, if he pans out, we're likely in the driver's seat to re-sign him in 2021. Then we go after a stretch big on a 1-year deal (mentioned Gallo, Ibaka or Marc Gasol, all would be great). Makes sense.

Nothing new here, as lots of people have been floating similar plans. Just hearing those guys talk it out crystallized the thought for me, which I now totally endorse.

AD takes a big chance if he does a 1+1, he will only have 9 years of service and it will likely be a low cap number. He would have to do another 1+1 to reach 10 years and 35%. Risky for a guy who hasn’t been healthy for all of his career.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I was listening to the Ringer's NBA podcast and I have to say, I was liked their assessment of what we should do this offseason. In short, they think we have our eyes set on taking a shot at a max guy next off-season to pair with AD, so we need to keep our books clean this year, which makes a lot of sense. Giannis may be pipe, but it's hard not to go after him and/or Bradley Beal (Dipo, etc.). If AD opts for a 1+1 contract, it allows both Bron & AD to opt out next off-season, let Bron take a slight haircut and sign a legit big three that will have us competing for chips for the foreseeable future. It's hard to pass up on that possibility.

Signing KCP, Rondo or Dwight to a multi-year deal throws a serious wrench into that plan. So does trading half our roster for CP3 and his albatross contract (if you think he'll opt out, you're dreaming).

However, going after Dipo or Schroder as our big move makes tons of sense for this plan. Both would, if healthy, seriously improve our team and both are expiring contracts. For Dipo, it's a question of whether we have the bullets to acquire him (are Kuzma, 28 and/or THT enough to win that derby?), but he's one of those possible 2021 targets ... so it makes sense to give him a shot this year and, if he pans out, we're likely in the driver's seat to re-sign him in 2021. Then we go after a stretch big on a 1-year deal (mentioned Gallo, Ibaka or Marc Gasol, all would be great). Makes sense.

Nothing new here, as lots of people have been floating similar plans. Just hearing those guys talk it out crystallized the thought for me, which I now totally endorse.

AD takes a big chance if he does a 1+1, he will only have 9 years of service and it will likely be a low cap number. He would have to do another 1+1 to reach 10 years and 35%. Risky for a guy who hasn’t been healthy for all of his career.

Yeah I think this is why Bobby Marks predicted he’d do a 2+1 on Zach Lowe’s pod.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Kostas was probably a backup plan if we had a disastrous 2019 campaign(major injuries, 2nd round exit) leading to AD probably bolting in free agency.

But after winning the chip, I think it would be a disservice and frankly disrespectful to Lebron and AD if we didn't make the best moves possible to increase our odds of repeating by trying to limit our signings/trades to contracts that would come off the books by 2021.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah I think this is why Bobby Marks predicted he’d do a 2+1 on Zach Lowe’s pod.

That gives him a little security
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
manlisten wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Celtics are trying to prevent us from passing them next year in championships, I’m sure if the Celtics get Gobert, Pelinka will counter the move and be pro-active.

The Celtics have assets, the Lakers gave theirs up for AD.

And it paid off.

I'd rather have assets than championships but that's just me.

Candidate for worse post of the year!!!!!

Wow, no kidding. Huh? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site in 19 years.

sarcasm anyone?

I think he was being serious. The Lakers have consistently made this mistake.

We traded great assets for Wilt. Dumb.

We traded great assets for Kareem. Stupid.

We traded great assets for Gasol. Idiotic.

We traded great assets for AD. Ugh.

We keep doing this, and never get anything out of it. When we will learn?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I am of the belief that KCP needs to bet on himself and leave the Lakers to set up his future. With the Lakers he will always be the 4th option putting up modest stats and will never receive the major contract to set up his future life. He will be 28 next year with maybe 2 more contracts in his prime.

While it has been stated there is pressure on Pelinka on how he will treat klutch players I believe Klutch is also under the gun to not only maximize their clients contracts but also to not hamstrung the Lakers financially and hinder their chances of acquiring players who can maximize Lebron and AD's opportunity to win future championships.

Does Rich Paul have to consider maximizing Lebrons and maybe to a lesser extent AD's championship run the next 2-3 years which means KCP moves on? Same applies to Pelinka.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
I am of the belief that KCP needs to bet on himself and leave the Lakers to set up his future. With the Lakers he will always be the 4th option putting up modest stats and will never receive the major contract to set up his future life. He will be 28 next year with maybe 2 more contracts in his prime.

While it has been stated there is pressure on Pelinka on how he will treat klutch players I believe Klutch is also under the gun to not only maximize their clients contracts but also to not hamstrung the Lakers financially and hinder their chances of acquiring players who can maximize Lebron and AD's opportunity to win future championships.

Does Rich Paul have to consider maximizing Lebrons and maybe to a lesser extent AD's championship run the next 2-3 years which means KCP moves on? Same applies to Pelinka.

The 'problem' is we always chase these max superstars, so once we have our sights on one (Giannis next summer), we give out contracts that expire then and give us space to go for the big fish. Thats why we arent a good place for these role players looking for long term contracts. Thats why we probably lose Rondo as well (hes a early Bird so we can pay him, but wed have to give a 2 year contract minimum). KCP we have his full bird rights, so if hes OK with a 1 year deal, pay him whatever we can for all i care. Its up to him, go for a long term contract elsewhere now or next summer

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
I am of the belief that KCP needs to bet on himself and leave the Lakers to set up his future.

He has made $50m in his career. He is set for life already and will probably make over $100m in his career.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
I am of the belief that KCP needs to bet on himself and leave the Lakers to set up his future.

He has made $50m in his career. He is set for life already and will probably make over $100m in his career.

Sure, but he won a championship, and if ATL, let's just say, is willing to give him 4 years and $50MM, and we only offer 2 years and $20-25MM, that's quite a difference.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Besides, he already bet on himself and we saw how that ended.

Lakers are the perfect place for him and IMO there's a chance that he ends up starting 2 guard next year. I am starting to see a world where Rob makes a move for CP3 to maximize this LeBron led window. You put AD, Lebron and CP together, we are now head and shoulders above any other 3 in terms of top end talent. Also only team with a 'big 3'. KCP would be a nice 2 guard with that grouping.. along with Caruso and hopefully some defensive wings like Harkless, Matthews, and RHJ and our defensive chops are scary.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

The 'problem' is we always chase these max superstars, so once we have our sights on one (Giannis next summer), we give out contracts that expire then and give us space to go for the big fish. Thats why we arent a good place for these role players looking for long term contracts. Thats why we probably lose Rondo as well (hes a early Bird so we can pay him, but wed have to give a 2 year contract minimum). KCP we have his full bird rights, so if hes OK with a 1 year deal, pay him whatever we can for all i care. Its up to him, go for a long term contract elsewhere now or next summer

Agree on chasing superstars and relying on role players and it's a delicate balance Pelinka needs to work out. Can he do it a second year?

Yes I don't mind paying KCP this year but using up the cap space will hinder the team in acquiring/retaining additional players. As for next year what will he get if he averages 9pts/gm again this coming season? He is the one FA that I feel is replaceable.

I really would like to see another championship next year to really shut all the critics up.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Sure, but he won a championship, and if ATL, let's just say, is willing to give him 4 years and $50MM, and we only offer 2 years and $20-25MM, that's quite a difference.

Kcp if he gets that money should run with it
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Lakers would be dumb to then not offer him 2/years 30m since it has no impact on who we can or can't sign if we are abandoning the 2021 plan (which I bet we are).

Then the question for KCP is does he think he can make more than $20m over the next 2 years.

I actually hope Rob offers him 1-year, $25m deal.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Losing out on I believe a 5/80 contract must still hurt. I know it would bother me.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Absolutely. He isn't at the end of his career. He's just entering his prime. Secure the bag, if you can.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Absolutely. He isn't at the end of his career. He's just entering his prime. Secure the bag, if you can.

Atlanta care to do a s&t we get the exception? Does that work?

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

A lot of athletes blow all their cash. You can't assume how much money he has, or how much he wants.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Losing out on I believe a 5/80 contract must still hurt. I know it would bother me.

True, but he can probably justify it easier now after a great performance in the Finals, and he is arguably set up for a bigger pay day now in his prime than he would have been had he stayed in Detroit playing for an insignificant team. Also he’ll forever be known as a champion and beloved in one of, if not, the biggest fan bases in the world. Some things are just priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Looking at the Laker FAs I’d say out of the 3 of Rondo/Howard/KCP the only guy with a good chance of coming back is Howard because of how much he enjoyed his time here, like the other poster said, KCP will likely look to cash and the Clippers might throw crazy money at Rondo, I don’t think anyone is gonna give to much money to Howard which means he might decide to comeback.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I would also consider Morris a good chance of coming back unless his only motive is to play with his brother.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

What about Lowry?
Raptors will have to choose between him and Van fleet. I don’t think they pay big dollars to two point guards. He’s 34 and in the last year of his contract.

Kuzma, green, first rd pick, 2 second rd picks, cook.

They say no then we add tht or another first
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
What about Lowry?
Raptors will have to choose between him and Van fleet. I don’t think they pay big dollars to two point guards. He’s 34 and in the last year of his contract.

Kuzma, green, first rd pick, 2 second rd picks, cook.

They say no then we add tht or another first

I hope that we would not have to give up that much for 34-year-old Lowry.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Well . . . there have been an awful lot of athletes who made $50M or more in their careers and wound up broke. I really like to think that this is becoming less common. I'm not sure that it is, though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4903, 4904, 4905 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4904 of 8560
Jump to: