OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4876, 4877, 4878 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
markjay wrote:

I heard the cap might be as low as $90 million this year.

could you please post the link?

I don't have a link, but I remember seeing numbers like that kicked around a few months ago. More recently, I've seen a number of reports that the cap will be more or less flat. If it dropped to $90M or even lower, there would be all sorts of consequences in terms of teams owing luxury tax, the players getting tagged by the escrow account at the end of the year, and the like. And then we could see a big jump in the following year, which would be chaotic.

All of these issues are being discussed between the league and the union. I'd bet on some sort of negotiated solution that keeps the salary cap at or near the projected level ($109M) and that compensates the owners in some other way.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
carjoch831 wrote:
Quote:
NBA Central
@TheNBACentral
Shaq goes off on Dwight Howard and calls him a front runner

"Post one pic and sit yo ass down...Shut yo ass up. You ain’t do nothing."

STFU Shaq!

Fake news. Shaq was referring to players who didn’t have a role in the championship on the Lakers. I don’t think he was referring to Dwight.

I'm almost certain he was referring to Dudley
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
A Christmas start is not good for the Lakers. It would give the players essentially 1 month off.

I am hoping for a January start so that the players can mentally unwind and get their legs back.

It's interesting. I guess they didn't like the late summer/fall playoffs.

That's a short turnaround on an offseason, but don't forget last season was different because there was a 3-4 month break in between the pause and the bubble-restart. The 8 teams that didn't go into the bubble haven't played since March and everyone but the Heat and Lakers have been off for a while. It's not an advantage for us, but based on the pause break, I don't think it's as bad as such a short off-season normally would be.

Also, I'm sure we'll rest AD/Bron more next year. I'm not too concerned.

No one watched those playoffs, the TV ratings were historically low. A season that the networks paid $2.7 billion for and NBA teams lost $700 million. They will be trying hard to get back to a July-June season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
1m
The NBA is targeting Dec. 22 for the start of the 2020-21 season and a 72-game campaign that finishes before the ‘21 Olympics, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA
@Stadium

The Olympics are scheduled to start on July 23. That's an awfully tight window.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
1m
The NBA is targeting Dec. 22 for the start of the 2020-21 season and a 72-game campaign that finishes before the ‘21 Olympics, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA
@Stadium

It probably won’t affect this season but one of the NBA executives was talking about in season series to cut down on travel. They are looking at any way to turn a buck, or save a buck.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
With a compressed, 72 game season, don't be surprised if Lebron load manages more aggressively both in and out of games this year.

"We are not the Clippers"

This season we wanted to send a message and wanted that first place. I don't think we're going to go for that first place anymore and maybe just relax and load manage for the playoffs. We'll see. The smart play is plenty of load management despite what Lebron says
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
1m
@Stadium

It probably won’t affect this season but one of the NBA executives was talking about in season series to cut down on travel. They are looking at any way to turn a buck, or save a buck.

I kinda like the baseball idea. Long term maybe not. But for the interim, yeah.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
logical24 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
With a compressed, 72 game season, don't be surprised if Lebron load manages more aggressively both in and out of games this year.

This season we wanted to send a message and wanted that first place. I don't think we're going to go for that first place anymore and maybe just relax and load manage for the playoffs. We'll see. The smart play is plenty of load management despite what Lebron says

As Pete said in the recent LFR podcast, it's kinda expected that the Lakers look worse in the regular season this year, despite potentially having a better team.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
logical24 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

As Pete said in the recent LFR podcast, it's kinda expected that the Lakers look worse in the regular season this year, despite potentially having a better team.

Eh, you never know. Lebron finds motivation in the weirdest places. He’s chasing Kareem and Jordan. There’s a good chance Lebron doesn’t just coast the up coming season.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
logical24 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Eh, you never know. Lebron finds motivation in the weirdest places. He’s chasing Kareem and Jordan. There’s a good chance Lebron doesn’t just coast the up coming season.

Good thing Bron isnt our GOAT. CARUSO IS!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I saw that idea kicked out. For example, the Lakers would go to Houston for a two game series, rather than traveling to Houston twice for separate games. I can see how that would make sense under these unusual circumstances. You could have a six game road trip with only three travel legs before you come home. If you were selling tickets, this could be a problem (not when the Lakers come to town, but when most other teams come to town). But if you aren't selling tickets, that's not an issue.

If would save some money, which is relevant. It would also put less strain on the players and would reduce Covid-19 exposure due to travel. I'm assuming that the games would not all be back to backs. If they were, that would change the analysis.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
A Christmas start is not good for the Lakers. It would give the players essentially 1 month off.

I am hoping for a January start so that the players can mentally unwind and get their legs back.

That's a short turnaround on an offseason, but don't forget last season was different because there was a 3-4 month break in between the pause and the bubble-restart. The 8 teams that didn't go into the bubble haven't played since March and everyone but the Heat and Lakers have been off for a while. It's not an advantage for us, but based on the pause break, I don't think it's as bad as such a short off-season normally would be.

No one watched those playoffs, the TV ratings were historically low. A season that the networks paid $2.7 billion for and NBA teams lost $700 million. They will be trying hard to get back to a July-June season.

i mean they had NBA playoffs right at 4:30pm on Sunday afternoon in the middle of NFL games.

nobody is watching nba over nfl...atleast most of the folks
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I saw that idea kicked out. For example, the Lakers would go to Houston for a two game series, rather than traveling to Houston twice for separate games. I can see how that would make sense under these unusual circumstances. You could have a six game road trip with only three travel legs before you come home. If you were selling tickets, this could be a problem (not when the Lakers come to town, but when most other teams come to town). But if you aren't selling tickets, that's not an issue.

If would save some money, which is relevant. It would also put less strain on the players and would reduce Covid-19 exposure due to travel. I'm assuming that the games would not all be back to backs. If they were, that would change the analysis.

Texas road trip .... Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs ... 6 games in 10 days?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

i mean they had NBA playoffs right at 4:30pm on Sunday afternoon in the middle of NFL games.

Yeah competing with the NFL is death, but also the NFL ratings are down too. All the sports ratings are down. There's an election going on, a pandemic, people are concerned about their jobs, so interest in sports is I think a bit on the backburner
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Yeah competing with the NFL is death, but also the NFL ratings are down too. All the sports ratings are down. There's an election going on, a pandemic, people are concerned about their jobs, so interest in sports is I think a bit on the backburner

spot on
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Texas road trip .... Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs ... 6 games in 10 days?

Sure. Or you could go all the way and just play all four games against the Rockets in Houston, under the theory that home court advantage is meaningless without fans. I would not be a fan of this, but it could happen.

There is talk of a 72 game schedule. Consider this scenario. Assume that we play two games against each team in the EC, just like now. That is 30 games (15 x 2). That leaves 42 games against the 14 WC teams, which is 14 x 3. So the season consists of 15 two-game series and 14 three-game series. At most, there would be only 15 trips (7 or 8 to EC cities, plus 7 to WC cities). This would be pretty radical, but then we are living in peculiar times.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Local newspaper states Lakers could only sign the following players for $3 mill per year:

Dwight Howard
Rondo
Markieff Morris

Is above true and could someone explain why (what rule is that?). TIA
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
Local newspaper states Lakers could only sign the following players for $3 mill per year:

Dwight Howard
Rondo
Markieff Morris

Is above true and could someone explain why (what rule is that?). TIA

I know that Rondo has early-bird rights, so it’s not true. We could use exceptions for Howard and Morris if we wanted to. Your newspaper may just be referring to the vet min.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Here is an analysis by Hollinger from an article by Oram in The Athletic:

Quote:
The Lakers won’t have their hands tied, but the luxury tax could be a constraining factor depending on how aggressive they might want to be. Basically, once Anthony Davis signs his max contract, it becomes impossible to sign other players with cap room. However, the Lakers still can re-sign their own players and use cap exceptions to add less expensive pieces.

Let’s assume that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Rajon Rondo opt out of the final year of their deals and the partially guaranteed deal of little-used Quinn Cook is waived and stretched. (It would count $333,334 against the cap). That would give the Lakers approximately $20 million in room from the tax line and, perhaps more importantly, $25 million from the tax apron. I don’t think the Lakers are going to sweat a few dollars of luxury tax, but the apron matters. Here’s why: The Lakers can use their non-taxpayer midlevel exception (MLE), which would be nearly $10 million in 2020-21, to sign a significant free agent. However, if they use the MLE they must stay below the apron all season.

Work backwards from that number, and you can see how things get tight. There would only be $15 million left for Caldwell-Pope, Rondo and Dwight Howard. Even if they could shoehorn in those contracts to stay a few bucks below the apron, the Lakers’ ability to make moves in-season would be severely compromised.

Sum it all up, and the Lakers might not be able to use their entire MLE if they want to keep last season’s core together. But again, other variables come into play. If the cap number is higher than expected, it gives them more wiggle room. If JaVale McGee opts out of his $4.2 million or Avery Bradley from his $5 million, that adds breathing room, too.

The Athletic (paywall)
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Yeah, I am not a big fan of LaVine. He's a poor man's, Russell Westbrook. He already tore his ACL. Once his athleticism goes he is toast.
Except, he could shoot.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
The Lakers won’t have their hands tied, but the luxury tax could be a constraining factor depending on how aggressive they might want to be. Basically, once Anthony Davis signs his max contract, it becomes impossible to sign other players with cap room. However, the Lakers still can re-sign their own players and use cap exceptions to add less expensive pieces.

Let’s assume that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Rajon Rondo opt out of the final year of their deals and the partially guaranteed deal of little-used Quinn Cook is waived and stretched. (It would count $333,334 against the cap). That would give the Lakers approximately $20 million in room from the tax line and, perhaps more importantly, $25 million from the tax apron. I don’t think the Lakers are going to sweat a few dollars of luxury tax, but the apron matters. Here’s why: The Lakers can use their non-taxpayer midlevel exception (MLE), which would be nearly $10 million in 2020-21, to sign a significant free agent. However, if they use the MLE they must stay below the apron all season.

Work backwards from that number, and you can see how things get tight. There would only be $15 million left for Caldwell-Pope, Rondo and Dwight Howard. Even if they could shoehorn in those contracts to stay a few bucks below the apron, the Lakers’ ability to make moves in-season would be severely compromised.

Sum it all up, and the Lakers might not be able to use their entire MLE if they want to keep last season’s core together. But again, other variables come into play. If the cap number is higher than expected, it gives them more wiggle room. If JaVale McGee opts out of his $4.2 million or Avery Bradley from his $5 million, that adds breathing room, too.

The Athletic (paywall)

No incentive for JaVale and Avery to opt out. This article is basically the Lakers' fantasy dream scenario which is not that easy.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Lavine is a decent 3 point shooter but he also only shot 45% this year which is not very good. He relies on his athleticism and with the torn ACL already in his young career, it is concerning. He's got good stats on a bad team with a high usage rate but how good would he be as a major player on a contender. I'm not convinced.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:

The Athletic (paywall)

No incentive for JaVale and Avery to opt out. This article is basically the Lakers' fantasy dream scenario which is not that easy.

So what you are saying is we wont make any big splashes this season?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Lavine is a decent 3 point shooter but he also only shot 45% this year which is not very good. He relies on his athleticism and with the torn ACL already in his young career, it is concerning. He's got good stats on a bad team with a high usage rate but how good would he be as a major player on a contender. I'm not convinced.

57% ts. If anything I’d have to think the high usage is a positive that he can still get it at that TS%. Not like they had a lot of other options. Also, not for nothing, but he was still catching a top defender night in and night out. Might he struggle in a real role on a winning team? Perhaps. But I’d be inclined to believe having an AD and LBJ beside of him to limit teams gameplanning for him would only help. Not to mention, there are a ton of open looks for the guy.

Having said that, I’m personally looking more for a 6man type of 3rd option like Gino or OKC Harden who can fit in beside of Bron and AD but then carry the second unit while not getting in the way if the stars.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if the Lakers are gonna get Montrezl Harrell. Cause he’s another Klutch client.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4876, 4877, 4878 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4877 of 8560
Jump to: