OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

On a team that already has LeBron James, if you keep Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma instead of trading them for Anthony Davis, you have no right being a GM.

If you don’t pull the trigger on Davis in favor of Kuzma, Ball, and Ingram, you’re living in fear and lack the vision necessary to construct a team under adverse conditions.

If you’re worth your salt as a a GM, you can construct an effective team around James and Davis, a team that will be a legitimate threat to win it all, a team full of minimum dudes, rookie scale guys, a room exception, and the remaining ten million or so in capspace.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Yes... but as I outlined before... no one can get hurt, LBJ can't get old yet and we need to get really lucky on minimum signings.

You mean like the HEAT team that was stocked with minimum signings?

Yes, but in this analogy... all three Heat players are in their prime...and Ray Allen falls in their lap for cheap.

Davis gets injured... LBJ is old... we don't even know if we have KD or Kawhi locked down.

Look at the Heat now. Nowhere close to a championship and that's with a top executive in Riley and having had three great players in their primes

Again, I'm not saying you guys are wrong... clearly I'm in the minority here

But I think I'm making a fair point, so I will defend it.

Are you arguing that LBJ/KD/Kuzma/Ball/BI is better than LBJ/KD/AD/vets or mins?

Not better for one game or series... but more sustainable over the course of a season as well as the future and better equipped to endure injuries or setbacks.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
On a team that already has LeBron James, if you keep Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma instead of trading them for Anthony Davis, you have no right being a GM.

If you don’t pull the trigger on Davis in favor of Kuzma, Ball, and Ingram, you’re living in fear and lack the vision necessary to construct a team under adverse conditions.

If you’re worth your salt as a a GM, you can construct an effective team around James and Davis, a team that will be a legitimate threat to win it all, a team full of minimum dudes, rookie scale guys, a room exception, and the remaining ten million or so in capspace.

if i was an owner i would fire the GM who wants to keep bi, kuz, zo over trading them for AD
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
When AD goes to Boston, who will be the new pipe Dream?

Yeah that's my assumption too that Ainge is finally going to empty his warchest of assets when AD hits the market. Boston has a disgusting 4 potential FRP's next draft in addition to Tatum, Brown, etc.

Yup

A rehash of the Carmello trade. But this time the Team that gives a lot for one player doesn't give too much.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

if i was an owner i would fire the GM who wants to keep bi, kuz, zo over trading them for AD

That's how you feel!

You believe AD is a Top 5. To me and a few other he is in the 11 to 15 range.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

That's how you feel!

So what's ur point
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

That's how you feel!

So what's ur point

The point Is in your Opinion Ad is worth everything and to others he is not.

Wasn't that obvious?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I’m surprised more people aren’t concerned about why AD can’t lead this team to being better. Maybe, he puts up great numbers but can’t lead? That would make him more of a #2 type guy.

He has sufficient talent to at least make some noise, be better than sac, memphis, etc.

Isn't that why you want him with LBJ and KD?

Maybe. Depends on who else I have around them.

That's the whole point/question. Not about whether AD himself can get a team to the Finals. It's a baseline of LBJ/AD, and if we hit a grandslam, LBJ/AD/KD.

LBJ/AD/KD isn't a grand slam unless you have the right pieces around them. You'll still need the right roleplayers IMO for that trio to win.

And, I think you could win with LBJ/AD and other pieces, again, depending on those pieces as well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I’m surprised more people aren’t concerned about why AD can’t lead this team to being better. Maybe, he puts up great numbers but can’t lead? That would make him more of a #2 type guy.

He has sufficient talent to at least make some noise, be better than sac, memphis, etc.

That's the whole point/question. Not about whether AD himself can get a team to the Finals. It's a baseline of LBJ/AD, and if we hit a grandslam, LBJ/AD/KD.

LBJ/AD/KD isn't a grand slam unless you have the right pieces around them. You'll still need the right roleplayers IMO for that trio to win.

Nah, that's the grand slam.

It's far easier to surround the team with role player pieces than getting 3 5 carat players. All 3 have a shot at the HOF.

You'd have the room exception, vet min exception, probably 1 of the 4 (Lonzo/Hart/BI/Kuz), Mo/Bonga/Svi, plus ring chasers to fill out the rest.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Nah, that's the grand slam.

It's far easier to surround the team with role player pieces than getting 3 5 carat players. All 3 have a shot at the HOF.

You'd have the room exception, vet min exception, probably 1 of the 4 (Lonzo/Hart/BI/Kuz), Mo/Bonga/Svi, plus ring chasers to fill out the rest.

We just talked about this in the other thread where you said if we didn't get KD, you think we'd be just as fine if we used our cap space to bring in quality 4 carat players.

There are other avenues to success. They're just different avenues.

Why are we even talking about Bonga in a conversation about building a championship roster?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
We just talked about this in the other thread where you said if we didn't get KD, you think we'd be just as fine if we used our cap space to bring in quality 4 carat players.

And we talked about the fact that 5 carat players are rarer and more efficacious. Having 3 HOF level players is the envy of every team.

My position on saying that having a less than backup plan was ok doesn't mean that it's the optimal position. In fact it's several tiers down from a trio of LBJ/KD/AD. It's acceptable, but don't conflate that with optimal.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And we talked about the fact that 5 carat players are rarer and more efficacious. Having 3 HOF level players is the envy of every team.

My position on saying that having a less than backup plan was ok doesn't mean that it's the optimal position. In fact it's several tiers down from a trio of LBJ/KD/AD. It's acceptable, but don't conflate that with optimal.

Again though, it’s not optimal if all you have to surround those three guys are Mo and Bongas of the league.

So I am not saying it cannot be successful, just as LBJ/AD or LBJ/KD cannot also be successful. It all depends on who else you have around them especially when an LBJ/KD scenario can be done while keeping the current core together in its entirety.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Again though, it’s not optimal if all you have to surround those three guys are Mo and Bongas of the league.

So I am not saying it cannot be successful, just as LBJ/AD or LBJ/KD cannot also be successful. It all depends on who else you have around them especially when an LBJ/KD scenario can be done while keeping the current core together in its entirety.

Room exception
2019 1st rounder
vet ring chasers (JaVale, Tyson, maybe guys like Ariza, etc.).
Mo/Bonga/Svi
1 of the 4 young core who may remain.

I think you can field enough around 3 5 star players.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

My aspirational tiers:

1. LBJ/KD/AD
2. LBJ/KD or KL/keep young core (if we can't trade for AD, keep or trade for someone else).
3. LBJ/2nd tier FA (i.e. Klay, Middleton, Kemba, Tobias)/young core.

I can LIVE with all 3 no doubt. But I PREFER #1 over the rest. I think iterations #1 and 2, we can compete for a championship. Version 3, a bit more difficult but not impossible.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

exactly, but i will leave Kuzma out of the trio, he's such a natural running mate for LeBron. But yes, i agreed, if you're holding onto Ingram, Zo and Hart afraid pulling the trigger for AD, then you should change your name to Mitch Kupchak.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Room exception
2019 1st rounder
Mo/Bonga/Svi

And you don’t think you can field enough around 2? Because I think you can, depending on who we are talking about and still have all of those great championship pieces like Mo and Bonga in the first scenario if you wish.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Room exception
2019 1st rounder
Mo/Bonga/Svi

And you don’t think you can field enough around 2? Because I think you can, depending on who we are talking about and still have all of those great championship pieces like Mo and Bonga in the first scenario if you wish.

I've explained that yes you can. And that is one of two scenarios I can live with assuming the max FA we get is KD or KL. I can even do without a top max FA but openly admit that the chances of a ring diminish.

I'm a proponent of getting as many HOF level players in their prime. Time after time the playoffs have shown that the cream of the crop rise over teams that have quantity over quality. Of course you'd like to have both.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

^ So we’re in agreement. All I said is that the path I take depends on what I believe I will have after making the big additions.

Who knows, with just two you might get some 4 carat players willing to play for 2.5 carat pricing (i.e. Iguodala types)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ So we’re in agreement. All I said is that the path I take depends on what I believe I will have after making the big additions.

Who knows, with just two you might get some 4 carat players willing to play for 2.5 carat pricing (i.e. Iguodala types)

Yes. The one you're describing is my #2 option which is championship caliber also.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

exactly, but i will leave Kuzma out of the trio, he's such a natural running mate for LeBron. But yes, i agreed, if you're holding onto Ingram, Zo and Hart afraid pulling the trigger for AD, then you should change your name to Mitch Kupchak.

If you wanted us to hold on to Kuzma... you should have told him to hide his recent form for the rest of the season.

You might as well offer Zubac, Moe, and Svi because that has much chance of getting Davis as Ingram/Lonzo and Hart without Kuzma.

Unless Ball and Ingram both start shooting 40% from three the rest of the year.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

If the KCP for Arzia trade does happen then what will be the next move the Lakers will try and make? I'm thinking a backup PF when the buyouts start to happen.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
If the KCP for Arzia trade does happen then what will be the next move the Lakers will try and make? I'm thinking a backup PF when the buyouts start to happen.

How if we just get r Holmes or bender in that deal?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Holmes over Bender for sure. Ariza and Holmes for KCP and a 2nd is a deal I would do.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Holmes over Bender for sure. Ariza and Holmes for KCP and a 2nd is a deal I would do.

Me 2
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Me 2

They don’t want KCP guys.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 421 of 8560
Jump to: