Carmelo Anthony to LA? (Woj: Traded to Atlanta and will be waived; P. 18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carmelo Anthony?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 77 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 231 ]
Total Votes : 308

Author Message
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 2354

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

No...

You're trying to make it seem like WILL automatically fail.

What am I saying?

1) He has playoff experience
2) He's a veteran
3) He is a perimeter player
4) He has experience playing off the ball with Team USA
5) Having a poor shooting percentage from 3 doesn't mean he will fail in the playoffs again
6) This team needs more shooters

I bought up Green's stats because he is still seen as a threat from 3, even though he is not a great 3 point shooter. If the Lakers sign Carmelo, then he will most likely play the stretch 4, giving the Lakers another option on the perimeter.

It's low risk move and playing along side play makers in Rondo, Ball and LeBron could have major benefits. The "excuses" i'm talking about are those who say we shouldn't sign him. If the Lakers need shooters and they can sign a former all-star for the vet-min, then there should be no reason to not give him a try if the Lakers want him on their team.
We simply disagree, and that's fine. I perceive risks for reasons already mentioned and I'd prefer Ellington. We'll find out the Lakers' thinking on this soon enough and I'll cheer for success regardless. Cheers and thanks for keeping it civil.


We don't need Ellington who was horrible in the play-offs and we have KCP, Hart and yes Svi. I wouldn't mind signing Melo if he agrees to come of the bench for 15-20 minutes and agrees to be more of a catch and shoot guy. My fear is if James, Ingram or Kuz go down to injury we have absolutely no fire power up front. Having said all this I think Melo sign with Houston.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21392

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Does anyone actually watch basketball anymore?

It seems like the majority of you are too reliant on analytics.

Melo is a beast... To not want him and be desparate for scrubs like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is just crazy...


He's a beast . . . he's a baller . . . he's, oh, whatever.

Whatever you call him, he doesn't contribute much to winning games. Again, you seem to value esthetics over effectiveness. That's cool, but don't criticize other people who aren't as concerned with esthetics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 10278

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Does anyone actually watch basketball anymore?

It seems like the majority of you are too reliant on analytics.

Melo is a beast... To not want him and be desparate for scrubs like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is just crazy...


Yes, but I didn't see Melo in the playoffs since he was busy being invisible.

Would you like to remind us again how Melo played in the playoffs and explain how the data is all lying?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 18032
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

No...

You're trying to make it seem like WILL automatically fail.

What am I saying?

1) He has playoff experience
2) He's a veteran
3) He is a perimeter player
4) He has experience playing off the ball with Team USA
5) Having a poor shooting percentage from 3 doesn't mean he will fail in the playoffs again
6) This team needs more shooters

I bought up Green's stats because he is still seen as a threat from 3, even though he is not a great 3 point shooter. If the Lakers sign Carmelo, then he will most likely play the stretch 4, giving the Lakers another option on the perimeter.

It's low risk move and playing along side play makers in Rondo, Ball and LeBron could have major benefits. The "excuses" i'm talking about are those who say we shouldn't sign him. If the Lakers need shooters and they can sign a former all-star for the vet-min, then there should be no reason to not give him a try if the Lakers want him on their team.
We simply disagree, and that's fine. I perceive risks for reasons already mentioned and I'd prefer Ellington. We'll find out the Lakers' thinking on this soon enough and I'll cheer for success regardless. Cheers and thanks for keeping it civil.


We don't need Ellington who was horrible in the play-offs and we have KCP, Hart and yes Svi. I wouldn't mind signing Melo if he agrees to come of the bench for 15-20 minutes and agrees to be more of a catch and shoot guy. My fear is if James, Ingram or Kuz go down to injury we have absolutely no fire power up front. Having said all this I think Melo sign with Houston.
And I don't consider Melo to be firepower anymore. He's vanished in the playoffs since '12 or so. Also defense wins titles and he brings none. Maybe he loses the ego and delusion that he deserves a big role. Believe it when I see it. Sorry not a fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 3667

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1016761787583098880?s=21

Quote:
@wojespn

Story filed to ESPN: In advance of an inevitable – if not imminent – parting, the Oklahoma City Thunder granted Carmelo Anthony permission to meet with prospective teams, including Houston and Miami. Meetings took place in Vegas in recent days.

Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $28M clears waivers. OKC needs the Anthony’s permission to waive no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, sources said.

_________________
Marcellus Wiley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 4879
Location: Studio City

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $28M clears waivers. OKC needs the Anthony’s permission to waive no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, sources said.

WOJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 22166
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1016761787583098880?s=21

Quote:
@wojespn

Story filed to ESPN: In advance of an inevitable – if not imminent – parting, the Oklahoma City Thunder granted Carmelo Anthony permission to meet with prospective teams, including Houston and Miami. Meetings took place in Vegas in recent days.


He will have plenty of chances to jack up shots in Miami
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 4879
Location: Studio City

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Looks like it's the Heat or the Rockets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 9876

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
kobe8One wrote:
If Melo can't shot in the playoff, you expect our young core to shot a higher percentage. There will be a tons of pressure playing with Lebron. Just look at Clarkson's performance. Remember our young core has ZERO playoff experience and I hope they can make their free throws.


That's what I'm saying. This team needs at least one more veteran shooter and having Carmelo could help if he's willing to come off the bench and help this Laker team.

This is not to say that they will no doubt come up short in the playoffs, but it will good to have at least one more..


Melo on if he is willing to come off the bench:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ygqYdPhTs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=qBB9rHRdacc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OC Lakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 2420

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1016761787583098880?s=21

Quote:
@wojespn

Story filed to ESPN: In advance of an inevitable – if not imminent – parting, the Oklahoma City Thunder granted Carmelo Anthony permission to meet with prospective teams, including Houston and Miami. Meetings took place in Vegas in recent days.

Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $28M clears waivers. OKC needs the Anthony’s permission to waive no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, sources said.


Incredibly happy the Lakers were not mentioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 6127

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
kobe8One wrote:
If Melo can't shot in the playoff, you expect our young core to shot a higher percentage. There will be a tons of pressure playing with Lebron. Just look at Clarkson's performance. Remember our young core has ZERO playoff experience and I hope they can make their free throws.


That's what I'm saying. This team needs at least one more veteran shooter and having Carmelo could help if he's willing to come off the bench and help this Laker team.

This is not to say that they will no doubt come up short in the playoffs, but it will good to have at least one more..


Melo on if he is willing to come off the bench:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ygqYdPhTs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=qBB9rHRdacc


Yeah, I'm sure everyone on this thread already heard of this. That's why I said IF he's willing to come off the bench.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 22166
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I’m glad LeBron doesn’t seem to be all keen on bringing Melo, I think he would rather play with Wade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 9876

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

^He just seems so arrogant in those interviews. I don’t see how he is going to be convinced.

He probably still thinks he is elite because teams are actually interested in him right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 3615

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Good luck OKC....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 599

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Melo use to be the best offensive player in the nba (well scoring wise)...

Sad to see his fall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 6593

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Lock it up, Houston. You need Melo for MDA offense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 15478
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Melo use to be the best offensive player in the nba (well scoring wise)...

Sad to see his fall.


If they find a team willing to rent cap space to dump him, it will have cost the Thunder $24.5 milllion in salary, $34 million in luxury taxes, Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott, a 2nd round pick and probably a 1st round pick to dump his contract, for a one-year rental of Carmelo Anthony.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 5106
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Does anyone actually watch basketball anymore?

It seems like the majority of you are too reliant on analytics.

Melo is a beast... To not want him and be desparate for scrubs like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is just crazy...


He's a beast . . . he's a baller . . . he's, oh, whatever.

Whatever you call him, he doesn't contribute much to winning games. Again, you seem to value esthetics over effectiveness. That's cool, but don't criticize other people who aren't as concerned with esthetics.


This


Melo is a swaggy P Lou Williams hybrid that couldn't defend a 5 foot 9 G leaguer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2010
Posts: 1080

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I can see the HEAT offering Whiteside and/or Tyler Johnson since they're trying to dump their contracts.
_________________
Tank no more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSanity
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 31969
Location: Long Beach, California

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $28M clears waivers. OKC needs the Anthony’s permission to waive no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, sources said.

WOJ


If they don't care about the luxury tax, this makes a lot of sense for them. They need to still add some talent to their roster if they want to compete at all. However, Melo's $28m effectively costs them an additional $2.50 (IIRC)for each dollar Melo earns in luxury taxes. For example, if they take back $14m say from a team like Atlanta, they are still paying something like $49m for that player. If they do that, pretty admirable of them to shell out the cash (especially when a team like Houston is pinching pennies).
_________________
LakersGround's Terms of Service
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSanity
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 31969
Location: Long Beach, California

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Some of the contracts I could see a team willing to trade for Melo would be:

Whiteside ($52.5m left over 2 yrs) -
Parsons ($49.2m left over 2 yrs)
Love ($49.7m left over 2 yrs)
Batum ($76.7m left over 3 yrs)
Gallinari ($44m left over 2 yrs)
Ibaka ($45m left over 2 yrs)
Noah ($38m left over 2 yrs)
Covington ($46m left over 4 yrs)
T. Hardaway ($55m left over 3 yrs)
Schroder ($46.5m left over 3 yrs)
T. Thompson ($36m left over 2 yrs)
R. Jackson ($35m left over 2 yrs)
J. Johnson ($46m left over 3 yrs)
JR Smith ($30m left over 2 yrs)
M. Williams ($29m left over 2 yrs)
C. Zeller ($43m left over 3 yrs)
P. Mills ($37m left over 3 years)
K. Olynyck ($35m left over 3 years)
T. Snell ($35m left over 3 years)

Melo + an small asset for Schroder I think would work for both teams. Gets Atlanta out of that contract and gives OKC some talent while saving about $49m. You could start Schroder next to Westbrook IMO.
_________________
LakersGround's Terms of Service
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 8132

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I like that idea a lot tbh for both sides.
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 4350
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

The only way I would want Melo as a Laker would be if we traded BI or Kuzma and even then, I would want him coming off of the bench. The thought of LeBron running the floor with Kuzma and BI literally makes my mouth water.
_________________
"He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind." Hosea 8:7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 24828

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Some of the contracts I could see a team willing to trade for Melo would be:

Whiteside ($52.5m left over 2 yrs) -
Parsons ($49.2m left over 2 yrs)
Love ($49.7m left over 2 yrs)
Batum ($76.7m left over 3 yrs)
Gallinari ($44m left over 2 yrs)
Ibaka ($45m left over 2 yrs)
Noah ($38m left over 2 yrs)
Covington ($46m left over 4 yrs)
T. Hardaway ($55m left over 3 yrs)
Schroder ($46.5m left over 3 yrs)
T. Thompson ($36m left over 2 yrs)
R. Jackson ($35m left over 2 yrs)
J. Johnson ($46m left over 3 yrs)
JR Smith ($30m left over 2 yrs)
M. Williams ($29m left over 2 yrs)
C. Zeller ($43m left over 3 yrs)
P. Mills ($37m left over 3 years)
K. Olynyck ($35m left over 3 years)
T. Snell ($35m left over 3 years)

Melo + an small asset for Schroder I think would work for both teams. Gets Atlanta out of that contract and gives OKC some talent while saving about $49m. You could start Schroder next to Westbrook IMO.


I was under the impression that OKC was trying to get out from the money (tax) issues. I was a bit surprised that they would trade him.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Zo.Kuz.LBJ.Hart.Tyson: NetRtg +31.2
Zo.Kuz.LBJ.KCP.Tyson: NetRtg +12.9
Zo.Kuz.LBJ.Hart.McGee: NetRtg +10.7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Some of the contracts I could see a team willing to trade for Melo would be:

Whiteside ($52.5m left over 2 yrs) -
Parsons ($49.2m left over 2 yrs)
Love ($49.7m left over 2 yrs)
Batum ($76.7m left over 3 yrs)
Gallinari ($44m left over 2 yrs)
Ibaka ($45m left over 2 yrs)
Noah ($38m left over 2 yrs)
Covington ($46m left over 4 yrs)
T. Hardaway ($55m left over 3 yrs)
Schroder ($46.5m left over 3 yrs)
T. Thompson ($36m left over 2 yrs)
R. Jackson ($35m left over 2 yrs)
J. Johnson ($46m left over 3 yrs)
JR Smith ($30m left over 2 yrs)
M. Williams ($29m left over 2 yrs)
C. Zeller ($43m left over 3 yrs)
P. Mills ($37m left over 3 years)
K. Olynyck ($35m left over 3 years)
T. Snell ($35m left over 3 years)

Melo + an small asset for Schroder I think would work for both teams. Gets Atlanta out of that contract and gives OKC some talent while saving about $49m. You could start Schroder next to Westbrook IMO.

Love a good list. Well done sir. I don’t think Milwaukee and Miami would be interested in salary dumping Snell and Olynyk though.

What about Anthony for Griffin?

Very expensive, more expensive than anything on your list, but Blake Griffin is an Oklahoma native, and if they are “making it rain”, might as well bring back “The Prodigal Son”, right? Detroit would definitely do it. They’d probably include picks with Griffin.
_________________
The keys to a happy life ... have H.O.G (Humility, Obedience, and Gratitude)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB