Moritz "Mo" Wagner the 25th Pick Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I really, really like Wagner's game.

I don't really understand why people don't have him as a rotation piece next season.

This team really, really needs his jumper, especially from the center and power forward spots. He is valuable.

Wagner, to me, is a solid piece going forward.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

I don't really understand why people don't have him as a rotation piece next season.

This team really, really needs his jumper, especially from the center and power forward spots. He is valuable.

As far as I’m concerned he’s the backup center next season.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I still have hope in him but he clearly needs another season of development before he gets real rotation minutes on a championship team.
Another sad reminder of that stupid Zubak trade who would definitely be ready to be the primary backup center. We spent all those seasons developing him just to give him away for nothing.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Would Mo benefit from playing the 4 at times?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

As far as I’m concerned he’s the backup center next season.

If the Lakers get Davis, I have him as the backup center as a starting PF next to Davis getting around 22 minutes a game with Kuzma coming off the bench as the backup four logging around 30 minutes per and Jonathan Williams getting the remaining 5-10 minutes at center:

Frontcourt Starters
Davis - 33 mins as a full time center.
Wagner - 22 mins as a PF/C (14 at PF, 8 at C)

Frontcourt Backup Minutes
Williams - 7 mins as a small-ball center.
Kuzma - 29 mins as a PF.
James - 5 mins as a PF.

Before someone says that he's not ready to become a starter, understand that he'd only be a starter in name only. He'd be starting for his jumper and as a means to empower him. He may struggle getting his alotted 20 or so minutes a game at first, but, because his role would suit him perfectly, I'm sure he would grow quickly in this role.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

Mo is expendable.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

Mitchell Robinson was the consensus from the scouts, Magic overruled them. Dumbass
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

Really like Wagner's enthusiasm and energy. His game needs some work.

Hopefully a year of seasoning and an off season to work on his inconsistency will enable him to play those backup mpg. At times he looked lost on the court. as many rookies tend to.

I do think he is better suited to play PF then C. But there may not be a way to make that happen. Lakers do not have a center on the roster IMO. How they fill that deficiency is a big question mark.

Curious about AD at center suggestions. Wasn't that part of the issue with him? He doesn't prefer playing center. Similar to the suggestions for James to be primarily PF or small ball C. Does not suit their vision of who they are even if it may be the better position for them. Both need a hard working physical presence next to them to be most effective.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

TheKing23 wrote:
Mitchell Robinson was the consensus from the scouts, Magic overruled them. Dumbass

He wanted the rah-rah locker rom guy.... complete moron he was. Hell, there were rumors we promised him.

We'd have had the perfect C going forward and we'd likely still have been able to draft Mo later.

That said, I do think Wagner will be a useful role player in the NBA. Could be a lot worse.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
TheKing23 wrote:

He wanted the rah-rah locker rom guy.... complete moron he was. Hell, there were rumors we promised him.

We'd have had the perfect C going forward and we'd likely still have been able to draft Mo later.

That said, I do think Wagner will be a useful role player in the NBA. Could be a lot worse.

Is the OP fact?
Very disheartening.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

We already knew Magic was garbage at evaluating talent.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
2019 wrote:
TheKing23 wrote:

Is the OP fact?
Very disheartening.

Don't think it's fact, but strong speculation. I remember he cancelled all workouts and then tweeted a picture of himself with the Hollywood sign in the background. Most people took that to mean he got a promise from the Lakers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
epak wrote:
2019 wrote:
TheKing23 wrote:

Is the OP fact?
Very disheartening.

Don't think it's fact, but strong speculation. I remember he cancelled all workouts and then tweeted a picture of himself with the Hollywood sign in the background. Most people took that to mean he got a promise from the Lakers.

Interesting. Thanks
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

NBA All Rookie Team:

Young, Doncic lead 2018-19 All-Rookie First Team
Top five picks from 2018 Draft all earn spots on First Team

https://www.nba.com/2018-19-all-rookie-teams-official-release

Quote:
LWOS LA Lakers -at- LWOSLALakers

No Moe Wagner? Isaac Bonga? Svi Mykhailiuk

https://twitter.com/LWOSLALakers/status/1130902121019314176
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

I think Mo should definitely be part of the rotation as a stretch 4/5

Hoping he packs on some muscle and weight this offseason. He can be Lauri light!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping Wagner can remain healthy and really show what he can do in the league... but dang it, Shamet was way higher on my short list for last year's draft, so this bugs a little.

Shamet Makes All-Rookie 2nd Team
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

It’s all about opportunity, and Wagner didn’t much of a chance last year.

He was buried behind Tyson, zubac, javale, Kuzma. He got to play some at the end of the season when the roster was depleted, but you can’t really see his impact in that situation.

Wagner wasn’t drafted to be a star or the main focus of the defense. His skillset will shine when you have two stars doing their things and he’s pulling the center out of the paint so players like lebron, Kyrie and BI can get to the basket. If the defense tries to switch you just post Wagner up and let him eat against smaller players, if they leave him open you let him cash 3’s, if they close our late you watch him drive past the big to the basket.

Wagner is too fast, and too good of a shooter for a team to go big against. He’s also too good in the post for you to go too small against.

When we get that second star, players like hart, Kuzma and Wagner will shine the most imo. I expect the front office to look for another “role player” that fits their mold during this draft. Might be hunter, but might be someone else we haven’t even thought about (think Larry nance jr).

All I know for certain is that this draft pick has to turn into a player that can contribute day 1. Whether that is as trade or prospect.

Bench of drafted lakers

Hart
Hunter
Kuzma
Wagner

Interesting how if the lakers go this route it’s perfect for a lebron 5 out offense. Whoever is staggered in with this group (lebron, Kyrie, Ingram, Lonzo). Has something to work with.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Still rooting for him. I think he can be a 16-8 dude in his prime, but the only way he gets consistent PT from a coach like Vogel is if he holds down the paint and improves his defense. I wonder if they'll play him at the 4.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
epak wrote:
2019 wrote:
TheKing23 wrote:

Is the OP fact?
Very disheartening.

Interesting. Thanks

There is also the very easy theoretical that Mo had his career game deep in the tournament and that Magic is totally the type of person to overreact to a big tv game performance. That is pure speculation but combined with Mo being "overdrafted" by mock draft nerds, questionable roster fit, and the scuttlebutt about Mitchell (which happened last summer, this wasn't after Mitchell turned out to be a steal) it makes sense that Magic fell in love with "big game Mo" and just drafted his gut.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Still rooting for him. I think he can be a 16-8 dude in his prime, but the only way he gets consistent PT from a coach like Vogel is if he holds down the paint and improves his defense. I wonder if they'll play him at the 4.

I think playing the 4 limits his potential. he plays intelligently and with alot of passion. i think that if he adds some muscle this off-season he will be fine as a backup 5 next season.

The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

He can't stay on the floor defensively. And as much as I like his game offensively, it doesn't offset the fact that he simply can't defend in space, in pick n roll, or in the paint.

A man without a country on the defensive end.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I think playing the 4 limits his potential. he plays intelligently and with alot of passion. i think that if he adds some muscle this off-season he will be fine as a backup 5 next season.

MOE CAN'T HOLD DOWN THE FORT @ C. He needs to play PF or nothing
at all...
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

at all...

he's a legit 7 footer with a 7 foot wingspan. all he needs is strength and he's a small ball 5

eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
deal wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

at all...

he's a legit 7 footer with a 7 foot wingspan. all he needs is strength and he's a small ball 5

Myers leonard
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Wags definitely needs to get stronger and faster. His shot is solid and he hustles.
IMO next season is make or break for him as a Laker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 55 of 57
Jump to: