Celtics getting the Kings' 1st rd pick

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Celtics getting the Kings' 1st rd pick

Looks like that pick might not be as good as they thought. Alot of Celtic fans were thinking that was going to be a top 3 pick, possibly no. 1.

Kings 5-3 right now and playing well. They might be 6-3 if they win tonight vs. Atlanta.

Here's some quotes on their realgm forum. Looks like they're really trying to convince themselves that the Kings are not for reals.

Quote:
There is NO question they’ll regress to the mean. The bigger question is, what is their mean. Most assumed it was top 3 which boggles the mind when they were like 7 last year. I’d say they’re mean is easily in the 7-9 range.

Quote:
Bummer their doing so well. However, think they will end up towards the bottom end of the pack, maybe not bottom 3, but bottom 8. Still will have a lottery ticket.

Quote:
I just refreshed my memory, Orlando started 6-2 last year, then 8-4, before they went on a 9-game losing streak - and a second before the end of December.

Quote:
Not trying to pour cold water - I love Fox/Hield longterm, and maybe, confusingly, Willie Cauley-Stein, whose rebounding has made a leap above his career averages.. but it’s more likely they come back down to the bottom of the standings than that they’re this year’s Pacers.

Quote:
Everyone in the GB hopping on the Kings bandwagon. And by everyone, I mean all people who dislike the Celtics. Lol

Quote:
Pretty much everything you just said couldve been said about the 2017 Nets. Lets see how they look when theyre 3 point shooting normalizes come January.

Quote:
You do know they were third in 3 point shooting percentage last year? They are actually a tick down in standing and 4th this year. Yes Beli is hot. But, Jackson (taking Bogi’s minutes) shot 31% last year and is at 20.7 this year on 3.6 attempts a game. Fox also sits at 20% versus 30%. Replace some of those shots with Bogi’s 39% from last year in your projections.

Last year the Kings shot 37.5 from 3 and we added Beli and Bagley instead of Skal and ZBo at the 4. Currently we sit at 40%, how far do you think we will “normalize”.

Quote:
Again, I dont really feel like getting into a long debate with you, but Bjelica, Bagley, Williams and Shumpert wont combine to shoot above 50% like theyre shooting now. This will normalize.

You disagree, oh well. Come January we’ll gave a better idea of who was right.

Quote:
I think your regression to the mean is a fair comment but I would apply it to WCS and his rebounding and defense. Same for Buddy and his defense. Buddy shot 44.7 last year so his 43.7 on a more shots isn’t really off his mean. He is just getting more minutes. Bjelica’s shooting will come back some but the team shooting is about normal.

Quote:
Meh, people are making too much of this hot streak by the Kings. Relax people, the Kings are playing horrible teams right now and shooting lights out. That won't last.

They play at ATL Thursday then their next ten games are:

@Bucks
Raptors
Timberwolves
Lakers
Spurs
@Grizzlies
@Rockets
Thunder
@Jazz
@Warriors

It's going to start getting a lot harder for them.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the Kings are for real, likely not a playoff team. But maybe they'll end up like we did last season. 10th in the tankathon or something close.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

We are 1/10th of the way through.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

If the Kings pick was a good one, that would be nice but I think you should know...the Celtics have a pretty good team already.

I mean if the Kings can't contend, I can see them going into tank mode. It's too early.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
If the Kings pick was a good one, that would be nice but I think you should know...the Celtics have a pretty good team already.

I mean if the Kings can't contend, I can see them going into tank mode. It's too early.

Wait, huh? Why would the Kings go into tank mode if they have to give up their pick anyways?

What kind of sense is that?

Yeah, Celtics have a very good team no doubt. It's about to become an extremely expensive team. And they have some choices coming up. What to do with Al Horford? What to do with Terry Rozier? Or Jaylen Brown? Is Jaylen Brown a max type player?
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Wait, huh? Why would the Kings go into tank mode if they have to give up their pick anyways?

Yeah, Celtics have a very good team no doubt. It's about to become an extremely expensive team. And they have some choices coming up. What to do with Al Horford? What to do with Terry Rozier? Or Jaylen Brown? Is Jaylen Brown a max type player?

He/Shes been on a roll since the Red Sox won the WS.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

It's too early to say if the Kings are for real or not. I would expect them to be better than they were last season though.

One thing to note is that the Kings have played against a lot of struggling teams.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
It's too early to say if the Kings are for real or not. I would expect them to be better than they were last season though.

One thing to note is that the Kings have played against a lot of struggling teams.

Kings are fun to watch, just look at the highlights on youtube, they move the ball they have Fox who is having a great season so far and there young bigs are really good. Yeah they probably won’t make the playoffs unless one of New Orleans or Houston falls out of the playoff picture but they should win like 38-42 games.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:

The only tough one might be Rozier but Brown isn't up for another year or so. Al Horford is valuable but Ainge will get an adequate or even better replacement I trust. The Celtics are further along than the Lakers so I wouldn't worry about our team.

Even with Lebron, your Lakers fanbase is destroying the team on this forum right now. No defense, horrible shooters and Lebron getting older but being forced to carry. Laker fans are bemoaning the loss of D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle who are becoming stars on other teams. The Lakers have bigger concerns than the Celtics right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Ok. But, why would the Kings go into tank mode if they have to give up their pick anyways?

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
The Celtics are further along than the Lakers so I wouldn't worry about our team.

Ok. Guess that ends the conversation then?

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
The Lakers have bigger concerns than the Celtics right now.

True. But there's a whole section on this forum devoted to Laker related issues.

Then we have this little section labeled "General Basketball Discussion"

What this means is that, this little section right here is devoted to discussing what's going on around the NBA that aren't Laker related. This includes the Celtics, the Sixers, the Trailblazers, etc.

So, you don't want a Celtic related discussion on here, or what is it that you're actually objecting to?
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ok. But, why would the Kings go into tank mode if they have to give up their pick anyways?

It's a good point. They don't have incentive to do so I suppose. The Kings won't be bottom 5 but they could still be just a mediocre team certainly not a top playoff contender. They will have to come back to earth at some point. However, even a pick in the 10 - 15 range can be useful for the Celtics as Aingle has improved in his drafting players. So I suppose I am agreeing with a few of the QFTS on the RealGm forum.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Ok. Guess that ends the conversation then?

No, keep it going if you wish.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
True. But there's a whole section on this forum devoted to Laker related issues.

Then we have this little section labeled "General Basketball Discussion"

What this means is that, this little section right here is devoted to discussing what's going on around the NBA that aren't Laker related. This includes the Celtics, the Sixers, the Trailblazers, etc.

So, you don't want a Celtic related discussion on here, or what is it that you're actually objecting to?

Don't misunderstand me. I don't object to anything here. Personally, I'm not worried about the position of a Kings pick when the team is focused on the current season and keeping the team relatively injury free which is the main challenge.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Don't misunderstand me. I don't object to anything here.

Well, then you can forgive the confusion because what you said in the following, really has nothing to do with the discussion.

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
The Celtics are further along than the Lakers so I wouldn't worry about our team.

Even with Lebron, your Lakers fanbase is destroying the team on this forum right now. No defense, horrible shooters and Lebron getting older but being forced to carry. Laker fans are bemoaning the loss of D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle who are becoming stars on other teams. The Lakers have bigger concerns than the Celtics right now.

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Personally, I'm not worried about the position of a Kings pick when the team is focused on the current season and keeping the team relatively injury free which is the main challenge.

What does one have to do with the other?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

what's the protection on this pick again? doesn't it go to the Cs unless it's no. 1 overall or something like that?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
what's the protection on this pick again? doesn't it go to the Cs unless it's no. 1 overall or something like that?

It's a pick swap between the Sixers and the Kings. If either pick is the no. 1 pick, then the Sixers keep the no. 1 pick and the Celtics get the other pick. Other than that, the Celtics get the better pick out of the Sixers and Kings pick next year.

Quote:
The Celtics will likely get whichever of Sacramento and Philly’s first-rounders is better in 2019, as fallout from the trade that allowed the Sixers to come up and get Markelle Fultz, while the C’s moved down two spots and happily brought home Jayson Tatum. If one of those two draft picks wins the lottery, then the Sixers will get to keep the top spot and the Celtics get the worse of the two. If neither pick wins the lottery, then Sixers will end up with whichever is lower, which will in all likelihood be their own, because the Kings are still going to be bad.

Side note: that upcoming swap is the fallout from a 2015 trade that stands as inarguably one of the dumbest NBA deals ever. Remember that the Kings, in an attempt to create cap space to sign mid-tier free agents, decided to give up Nik Stauskas, Jason Thompson, two future pick swaps, and most crucially this first-rounder (which has become unprotected over time) for the draft rights to two Sixers second-rounders—international stash prospects Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic.

So yes, the Kings apparently lost so much patience with 2014 first-rounder Stauskas that they mortgaged the future of the franchise just to dump him, one year later, in what stands as a Sam Hinkie trade masterstroke. Of course, the Sixers then included it conditionally when they traded up for Fultz, a move that doesn’t look all that prescient in the current moment.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Some Celtic fans are hoping it's a top 5 pick they can include in a package for AD. A pick further down in the 8-12 range would have much less value considering this draft looks very top heavy with a huge dropoff after the first 5 picks or so.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Are you guys more worried about what pick the Celtics get or more crowded competition for a playoff spot? Rooting for the Kings to do well means crowding the West.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Are you guys more worried about what pick the Celtics get or more crowded competition for a playoff spot? Rooting for the Kings to do well means crowding the West.

If the Kings making the playoffs knocks us out of the playoffs, I'd rather just get knocked out of the playoffs and pick up a lottery pick.

I'd rather mot make it as an 8th seed and get pummeled by Golden State.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Meh Kings have some promising youngsters but won't make the playoffs.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

With all of the Lakers' problems, I still wouldn't trade places with Boston (barring some major lotto luck where they get #2-4, #9, and #15). They don't appear excited about extending Kyrie, and other GMs likely suspect that. If he does stay, it hampers the development of Brown and Tatum. Both are struggling in their new roles this season.

Brad Stevens may very well be the best tactical coach in the sport, and Ainge a generally shrewd GM. But aside from the Tatum draft deal, Ainge has had a run of bad luck since 2016. Brown is a solid role player, but Ainge missed out on Jamal Murray, and dealt away Crowder and a #8 pick for a guy who will go to NY if he doesn't get maxed out. Drafting Brown was understandable at the time given their roster construction, but so was drafting Ball over Tatum by the same logic.

If Horford opts out and takes $10M less per year in exchange for a long term deal, that would help, but any snag in negotiations could result in Robert Williams/Daniel Theis starting in 2019.

If not absolutely sure about maxing out Irving, Ainge should look to trade Kyrie for the best player available who is still under contract for next year on a team looking to dump salary. Most likely the Grizzlies' 2019 top-8 protected pick would be included.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
If the Kings making the playoffs knocks us out of the playoffs, I'd rather just get knocked out of the playoffs and pick up a lottery pick.

That would be the conundrum for the Lakers. Would it be better that they miss the playoffs for a higher draft pick asset, or get into the playoffs and have the young players get that playoff experience now? The other thing the playoffs will help reveal is which young players the team wants to keep for the long haul, i.e. who will truly step up their game when they are at their most important. It's better for the young guys' development to be in a playoff atmosphere.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

That would be the conundrum for the Lakers. Would it be better that they miss the playoffs for a higher draft pick asset, or get into the playoffs and have the young players get that playoff experience now? The other thing the playoffs will help reveal is which young players the team wants to keep for the long haul, i.e. who will truly step up their game when they are at their most important. It's better for the young guys' development to be in a playoff atmosphere.

It wouldn't be a conundrum for the players or the team. They're always trying to win.

It's a different story for fans though. For me, fighting for that last playoff spot would be a huge disappointment. If we're fighting for the last playoff spot, I think this core is gone. I think there's going to be a major shakeup with the roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: