KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 695, 696, 697 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Can you imagine....

Uncle Dennis: “Rob, my man! After considering all our options and how hard it was to look Jerry West in the face and say ‘no’, and then to look at the whole country of Canada and say ‘no’, I just wanna tell you, CONGRATULATIONS! Kawhi Leonard is taking his talents to the Lakers!”

Rob Pelinka: “That is great news! We are elated for Kawhi to choose us! Um, just one tiny little hiccup, is Kawhi okay taking $27 million per year? You see we forgot to ask David Griffin to move the AD trade to July 30th, so we don’t have the full cap available. It reminds me of the story when *click* (Uncle Dennis hangs up the phone)... um, hello? Hello?”
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

JJLakers wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
my bet is that he takes a 1+1 in TOR

Kawhi should not be in the business of doing 1+1 with Toronto. Very risky stuff. Uncle Dennis should know better. If Kawhi wants to build his brand and be a part of a epic new dynasty and win multiple championships and make more money then anywhere else. Lakers are the team. A long stable career with the Lakers.

I think he is smart to know Lakers are the team to join.

yo that's a misquote. I never said that, maybe it's a cut and paste error.

I said it's 95% that Kawahi is coming to the Lakers, but was willing to put the Toronto vs LA odds at 1:1 if you believe Kawahi wasnt totally fixated on coming to LA. The Clippers are not even in the picture realistically imo
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Can you imagine....

Uncle Dennis: “Rob, my man! After considering all our options and how hard it was to look Jerry West in the face and say ‘no’, and then to look at the whole country of Canada and say ‘no’, I just wanna tell you, CONGRATULATIONS! Kawhi Leonard is taking his talents to the Lakers!”

Rob Pelinka: “That is great news! We are elated for Kawhi to choose us! Um, just one tiny little hiccup, is Kawhi okay taking $27 million per year? You see we forgot to ask David Griffin to move the AD trade to July 30th, so we don’t have the full cap available. It reminds me of the story when *click* (Uncle Dennis hangs up the phone)... um, hello? Hello?”

You've got to be a Leprechaun or Clippers/Pels fan in disguise, trolling on here with some of these (bleep) takes, lol.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

What about Kawhi taking a haircut for a year?

He's slated to make $21.3 if he doesn't opt out.

Let's say he signs in LA for a 1+1 $27.5 or whatever we have if AD waives his trade kicker. He then opts out, does another 1+1, then gets his full Supermax in 21-22.

He loses roughly $8 million over 2 years . . . we can make that up on the back end by giving him a retirement tour deal.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
I am 95% sure that Kawahi is coming to the Lakers.

The reason is because of the coaching situation.

The Lakers have created a cool peer to peer type of culture, with a team of knowledgeable and professional players coaches (Vogel, Kidd, Hollins) to work with Lebron and handle the day to day logistics as well as help the team to work together efficiently and have better vision. The Lakers are set up like a team that is for real men, real basketball professionals who know what to do to win and have to treat each other as equals. The Lakers are set up like The Expendables or something.

The Clippers on the other hand have Doc Rivers who is a big autocrat "look at me" pace the sideline yell a lot type of coach. Rivers once actually ran out onto the court during a play in a series against the Lakers. CP3 apparently didn't like him. And players apparently resented the Austin Rivers thing, which reads to me like players didnt like Doc Rivers, which is like saying Doc Rivers is an ***hole.

my take is that Kawahi ultimately left San Antonio because he didn't like having a big boss authoritarian autocrat Popovich breathing fire down his neck and trying to force the team to win with "discipline" etc. So the LA basketball culture the Lakers are building is likely to be vastly more appealing to him than the Clippers situation.

that's an interesting perspective re: why he'd choose us over the Clippers but I think that it doesn't really serve as a reason for us over staying in TOR

my bet is that he takes a 1+1 in TOR

well I'd agree it's between the Lakers and Toronto.

my thinking is that Kawahi always wanted to return to Los Angeles from Day One. That was his goal that San Antonio went out of it's way to block. And Kawahi hasnt said anything since. He just doesnt strike me as a guy who changes his mind or is influenced by outside factors.

So you could put Toronto or LA at 1:1 odds but like I said I am 95% sure it's Lakers. This is real.

You bet KL does a 1 + 1 in Toronto but your 95% sure is Lakers ?

aaaaggghhhh!!! I never said that!!

JJLakers miquoted me somehow with a cut and paste error and it's making my OCD freak out
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Let's say he signs in LA for a 1+1 $27.5 or whatever we have if AD waives his trade kicker. He then opts out, does another 1+1, then gets his full Supermax in 21-22.

He loses roughly $8 million over 2 years . . . we can make that up on the back end by giving him a retirement tour deal.

Sure, he could. I wouldn’t bet on it, but it’s possible. If he’s dead set on the Lakers, he might be willing to do it. But if he’s torn, then a max contract and an extra 8 million over two years (or if he’s worried about his health, he might not want to set it up to become a FA in his 10th season and go 4 years instead) would probably be a tipping point.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Can you imagine....

You've got to be a Leprechaun or Clippers/Pels fan in disguise, trolling on here with some of these (bleep) takes, lol.

I mean it’s possible! They botched the Ty Lue negotiations, they reportedly botched not including the date on the AD trade, they could still botch a lot of stuff up!
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

$8 million could buy a whole fleet of Chevy Blazers though....
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
The fact of the matter is that there was absolutely no way in hell Kawhi Leonard or his team envisioned him winding up in Toronto. That was a huge FU from Pop and the Spurs organization cutting off their nose to spite their face and not give Kawhi what he wanted. They absolutely took a lesser deal from Toronto to move him to the East.

They won a championship because all stars aligned. Lebron leaving the East created a huge power vacuum. Boston who was supposed to step up imploded. The Bucks came out of nowhere but ultimately was not ready especially Giannis to take the next level.

And in the West, they faced a Warriors team decimated by injuries and worn out by 5 trips to the Finals. Even then many of the games were very close.

It's just very very hard to see Kawhi deciding to stay ANOTHER year in Toronto of all places when literally the opportunity of a lifetime is now open to join the Lakers.

You miss this chance it's permanently over. There won't be capspace next year.

If he TRULY wants to go back to LA and expand his brand, continue to win, play basketball at the highest levels with two of the best players in the game, and come home . . .

I mean, I don't know. After Paul George I guess anything is possible but I just can't even fathom why he wouldn't take this chance.

If he wants a 1+1 and then sign the super max as a ten year player he can do that with the Lakers. I don't think it's ever been about the money with Kawhi anyway and if he gives up a little now to cash in huge while load managing on a team with 2 other superstars . . . again how is this not obvious??

yes this is a great post your points are SOLID

the money line is why would Kawahi pass up the opportunity OF A LIFETIME to stay in Toronto

Kawahi is from LA and was a Lakers fan, and now this golden perfect unrestricted opportunity is right there for the taking. That's also why the Clippers narrative is a complete nonstarter imo, just speculation by sportswriters. The Clippers?!? I mean I get it we are trying to make this Clippers thing happen now with the rebranding and they are cool and made the playoffs etc etc. But we are talking about a dream job with the Lakers here, playing with Lebron and AD plus every cool vet from coast to coast and rolling with Vogel Hollins and Kidd as coaches. As opposed to the weird Doc Rivers smell my farts I'm the boss thing at the Clippers
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Can you imagine....

I mean it’s possible! They botched the Ty Lue negotiations, they reportedly botched not including the date on the AD trade, they could still botch a lot of stuff up!

There's an interesting read on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/c2iw76/why_arent_we_talking_about_the_insider_who_posts/

I don't know if its true or not obviously. Long read, but the shadow executives, Kurt & Wife didn't want Lue so they sabotage it with the short term. Its pretty crazy if its true. Fear the Rambis.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
The fact of the matter is that there was absolutely no way in hell Kawhi Leonard or his team envisioned him winding up in Toronto. That was a huge FU from Pop and the Spurs organization cutting off their nose to spite their face and not give Kawhi what he wanted. They absolutely took a lesser deal from Toronto to move him to the East.

They won a championship because all stars aligned. Lebron leaving the East created a huge power vacuum. Boston who was supposed to step up imploded. The Bucks came out of nowhere but ultimately was not ready especially Giannis to take the next level.

And in the West, they faced a Warriors team decimated by injuries and worn out by 5 trips to the Finals. Even then many of the games were very close.

It's just very very hard to see Kawhi deciding to stay ANOTHER year in Toronto of all places when literally the opportunity of a lifetime is now open to join the Lakers.

You miss this chance it's permanently over. There won't be capspace next year.

If he TRULY wants to go back to LA and expand his brand, continue to win, play basketball at the highest levels with two of the best players in the game, and come home . . .

I mean, I don't know. After Paul George I guess anything is possible but I just can't even fathom why he wouldn't take this chance.

If he wants a 1+1 and then sign the super max as a ten year player he can do that with the Lakers. I don't think it's ever been about the money with Kawhi anyway and if he gives up a little now to cash in huge while load managing on a team with 2 other superstars . . . again how is this not obvious??

yes this is a great post your points are SOLID

the money line is why would Kawahi pass up the opportunity OF A LIFETIME to stay in Toronto

Kawahi is from LA and was a Lakers fan, and now this golden perfect unrestricted opportunity is right there for the taking. That's also why the Clippers narrative is a complete nonstarter imo, just speculation by sportswriters. The Clippers?!? I mean I get it we are trying to make this Clippers thing happen now with the rebranding and they are cool and made the playoffs etc etc. But we are talking about a dream job with the Lakers here, playing with Lebron and AD plus every cool vet from coast to coast and rolling with Vogel Hollins and Kidd as coaches. As opposed to the weird Doc Rivers smell my farts I'm the boss thing at the Clippers

Is KL a lakers fan though? I know the sister is for sure due to the pics

Check this out.... https://reddit.app.link/YR6SjfXXEX
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Space Jam 2

cheesehead88 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:15 pm Post subject: Space Jam 2
Why not just have Nike and New Balance come to agreement that Kawhi Leonard be the second lead in Space Jam 2?

That’s your freaking 5 million right there

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keanu_Reeves

Keanu Reeves once made 15 million per film

To me this stupid salary cap BS is a non issue and the Pelicans being petty

The rest of the NBA is terrified of the Lakers and everybody knows it

Hell even Bosh, Wade, and Bron all took discounts to form the Heatles

I am sure Bron and AD would do the same for Kawhi

Look at all the glory and endorsements that it got them

Winning Championships gets you more in the end

AD himself said it wasn’t about money, it is about legacy. Uncle Dennis and Kawhi are smart enough to know this too.

Bron, AD, Kawhi are going to be Laker Legends

Nobody going to stop that

Not Woj
Not ESPN
Not the Pelicans
Not Griffin

Just sign Kawhi to Space Jam 2
Get him his 5 million plus disability insurance for one year

Then sign him to his mini Bird 120% raise next year

Then the 10 year max salary whenever it is due

It is going to happen

All these other forces are creating FAKE DRAMA

FAKE DRAMA FTW!

But forreal, do you sincerely think Kawhi want sot come join a powerhouse duo?

I personally don't. Would love to be wrong but I don't see it.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
Is KL a Lakers fan though? I know the sister is for sure due to the pics

Kawhi on if he was a Lakers fan growing up:

Quote:
"No, I wasn't at all...My family was, but I wasn't. I liked Allen Iverson. I was an AI fan so I didn't like the Lakers."

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Sago wrote:

Quote:
"No, I wasn't at all...My family was, but I wasn't. I liked Allen Iverson. I was an AI fan so I didn't like the Lakers."

Time to hire Iverson as an assistant.
Ingram14
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Sago wrote:

Quote:

Well that explains the rows then...
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

It also explains why we didn't hire Ty Lue.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:
It also explains why we didn't hire Ty Lue.

trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Can you imagine....

Refusing to give someone what they want is considered botching negotiations? If we're believing the current narrative that Griffin refused to give us the date of the 30th, I guess he botched those negotiations too
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:

There's an interesting read on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/c2iw76/why_arent_we_talking_about_the_insider_who_posts/

I don't know if its true or not obviously. Long read, but the shadow executives, Kurt & Wife didn't want Lue so they sabotage it with the short term. Its pretty crazy if its true. Fear the Rambis.

"The Lakers feel that Jimmy, at this point, won't be signing with them."

So Jimmy Butler is not giving the Lakers a chance? That sucks. I thought he would be an option.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

The best player in the NBA coming off a title and finals MVP shouldn’t and won’t take a pay cut. And we know Klutch won’t.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Teams can't make any promises of future compensation like that. And even if Kawhi signs here, there's no guarantee he'll be with the team by the end of his career or that we'll give him some money he wouldn't have otherwise earned.

My guess is there would also be an ego thing going on. Kawhi wouldn't make to sacrifice money while Lebron and AD are earning the most they can.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
Fallout wrote:

"The Lakers feel that Jimmy, at this point, won't be signing with them."

So Jimmy Butler is not giving the Lakers a chance? That sucks. I thought he would be an option.

He's all about the money. If we don't have a max slot, we have no shot.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Woj basically trying to say that Kawhi will be headed to Clippers.

https://twitter.com/contentnba/status/1141503111812583424?s=21
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:

Who is feeding WOJ this info?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
Iron Mamba wrote:

Who is feeding WOJ this info?

Probably some big sweaty guy who makes Cuban seem like a tame owner.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 695, 696, 697 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 696 of 878
Jump to: