KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
That story sounds mighty thin to me. Just trying to get hits.

It's being sourced to the ESPN article. It's legit.

Well, now I'm sorry I brought it up. I came across the article too just now before I visited the board, and that was my take on it. But I definitely don't want to rain on any parades or argue about the significance of an article. I hope Kawhi comes here, but I wonder what is up with that injury. So strange.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Best article I have seen on the Kawhi Leonard situation.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23366667/inside-tension-kawhi-leonard-spurs

Zach Lowe had Ramona Shelburne on today....nothing really new, just rehashing article....but near the end, she was pretty clear there are those in the Spur FO and around the league that believe this is partly an effort to get to Philly, LA or NY.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-lowe-post/e/50635316?autoplay=true
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

In what universe is Philly considered a big market? In theory maybe it’s a big market if you compare it to a place like Utah or Milwaukee but ain’t no way a guy like KL who is looking for endorsements and shoe deals looking to make a move to Philly, I don’t recall anyone looking to move to Philly to make endorsement deals.. those usually happen in LA only.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
In what universe is Philly considered a big market? In theory maybe it’s a big market if you compare it to a place like Utah or Milwaukee but ain’t no way a guy like KL who is looking for endorsements and shoe deals looking to make a move to Philly, I don’t recall anyone looking to move to Philly to make endorsement deals.. those usually happen in LA only.

Did you read the article? KL isnt interested in endorsements and all that brand stuff.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Did you read the article? KL isnt interested in endorsements and all that brand stuff.

His group is, or else they wouldn’t want him in some big market.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

So it's not LA he wants to be in specifically, but any "big market". I'm sure we'll be used as leverage by SA in order for them to extract the most assets from NY or Philly. I trust Pelinka's a sharp dude, so he won't indulge and let us be jerked around like that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
So it's not LA he wants to be in specifically, but any "big market". I'm sure we'll be used as leverage by SA in order for them to extract the most assets from NY or Philly. I trust Pelinka's a sharp dude, so he won't indulge and let us be jerked around like that.

What is NY gonna give up? We have more assets then them... Philly is gonna use Fultz as the main piece and I don’t think Pop would want him anyway.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Grind wrote:

What is NY gonna give up? We have more assets then them... Philly is gonna use Fultz as the main piece and I don’t think Pop would want him anyway.

We've seen how spiteful these small market teams can be when dealing with L.A. However the Spurs are a smart organization, so they might buck that trend.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
hope we make informed decisions on players with unproven/untested injuries

yeah, I'm sure the medical staff will be looking into that. however, I do think
the Spurs will send KL east, IF into trading...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Philly is the 7th or 8th largest market in the country....bigger than Boston, Atlanta, Phoenix and the Bay Area....and those deals do not only happen in LA....NYC is the most lucrative market in the country for athletes.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Spurs fans asking themselves, "Kawhi?"
Lakers fans are like "Kawhi not?"

Oh my...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

In the universe where we live in called reality is Philly a larger market.. #4

It's not big "in theory"

They don't usually happen in LA. They happen in NY, Chicago, etc. Philly is a big enough market.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

if he signs a super max, he is going to be next russell westbrook with a
team almost cursed to no contention, so i think he will consider that.
but for this summer i cant see of a way for him to be a laker for
many reasons.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes

ESPN Sources: Spurs All-Star forward Kawhi Leonard and advisor are in San Antonio. Leonard spent nearly six weeks in New York rehabbing his injury. For the moment, there’s no scheduled date to meet with Spurs’ brass.

11:44 PM - 1 May 2018

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/991523840827179008
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

Luol Deng
Brandon Ingram
2018 Cleveland first round pick
2019 lakers first round pick.

For

Kawhi Leonard.

Sign Paul George And Julius Randle.

2019 starting lineup

Kawhi Leonard SF
Randle PF
Lopez Center
ball. pG
Paul George SG

That’s at least a second round playoff team.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

I understand the desire to get Leonard in a Lakers uniform, but there needs to be more clarification on his injury before trading away Ingram, other young players or even 1st round picks.

If it is degenerative or chronic in any way you can't trade away Ingram for him. Or be backed into the corner to have to pay him max next summer or lose him in free agency.

Can not make that trade only to watch Ingram continue to develop and surpass Leonard. Depending on the severity of his injury, is there any certainty that Leonard is ever the same player that we all are coveting?

Remember back to the wonderful Nash trade. How the chronic back spasms were not a big problem. "It was Steve F'n Nash and the Championships were inevitable!". I am picking up that same panicky fan vibe with the discussions of acquiring Leonard and Cousins at all costs.

Too risky IMO ... be patient and let this thing develop instead of chasing quick fix fantasy rosters.
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
WestwoodWizard wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Kawhi's game. I have followed him through college and during his pro career. That said, I don't see why we would want both him and PG on the same team. One is (presumably) going to opt out and be a FA and has expressed interest in being a Laker. The other is still under contract, with a major Lakers rival, and seems to have either quit on his team this year, or is dealing with very legitimate health concerns. Keeping the majority of last season's roster intact while going after a FA just makes much more sense to me than giving up some of our promising young talent for someone who will be a FA in a season. Of course there is no guarantee we will land PG, but the chances seem high enough to not pull the trigger on any trade with a team that has no desire to do us any favors. Maybe I am missing something, but this is just how I see things right now.

We do it because Kawhi Leonard is a 2x DPOY, multi-time all star, a Finals MVP and one of the top 5 best players in the league while Paul George is a pretty good 2nd option.

In a vacuum, the choice between PG or Kawhi is an easier one. In reality, there are numerous variables to consider. That was my point. As I mentioned, I have followed his career. I am well aware of his accolades.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes

ESPN Sources: Spurs All-Star forward Kawhi Leonard and advisor are in San Antonio. Leonard spent nearly six weeks in New York rehabbing his injury. For the moment, there’s no scheduled date to meet with Spurs’ brass.

11:44 PM - 1 May 2018

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/991523840827179008

Sweet. Hoping he went back to pick up the last of his clothes and personal items.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand the desire to get Leonard in a Lakers uniform, but there needs to be more clarification on his injury before trading away Ingram, other young players or even 1st round picks.

If it is degenerative or chronic in any way you can't trade away Ingram for him. Or be backed into the corner to have to pay him max next summer or lose him in free agency.

Can not make that trade only to watch Ingram continue to develop and surpass Leonard. Depending on the severity of his injury, is there any certainty that Leonard is ever the same player that we all are coveting?

Remember back to the wonderful Nash trade. How the chronic back spasms were not a big problem. "It was Steve F'n Nash and the Championships were inevitable!". I am picking up that same panicky fan vibe with the discussions of acquiring Leonard and Cousins at all costs.

Too risky IMO ... be patient and let this thing develop instead of chasing quick fix fantasy rosters.

Yeah but he sat out the season and is being so cautious about his injury that it's caused this mess with the Spurs, so that removes a little of the worry for me.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Luol Deng
Brandon Ingram
2018 Cleveland first round pick
2019 lakers first round pick.

For

Kawhi Leonard.

Sign Paul George And Julius Randle.

2019 starting lineup

Kawhi Leonard SF
Randle PF
Lopez Center
ball. pG
Paul George SG

That’s at least a second round playoff team.

With Hart and Kuzma off the bench. This squad will be chasing rings.

I hate the lose Ingram. I do believe that he will end out being a superstar in this league. But I would still make that trade for Kawhi. That is a super solid 7 man rotation, with Bryant ready to step up and make it an 8 man rotation.

To me, this is likely the best option the Lakers have, with one more that could intrigue me and that one would be where we are unable to sign Kawhi and opt to sign Anthony Davis along with PG13. Either one of these and I am super happy.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

When can the Lakers start talking with the FA's?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

We do it because Kawhi Leonard is a 2x DPOY, multi-time all star, a Finals MVP and one of the top 5 best players in the league while Paul George is a pretty good 2nd option.

You put PG in the Spurs' system his whole career and Kawhi somewhere without Pop, and things might be reversed.

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Wed May 02, 2018 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
According to multiple sources, Leonard’s camp has come to believe the issue has more to do with an ossification or hardening in the area where the muscle has been repeatedly bruised and then an atrophying, which in turn affected the tendons connecting the muscle to the knee.

I'm not a doc, but this doesn't sound good. Why would you deal any young studs for this guy?

The Lakers have over $60 million in cap space and Kawhi is a free agent next summer. It would be stupid to offer assets.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

But, but, we need validation from Stephen A Smith and Hot Take Twitter! Big names! Lakers need superstars! /end sarcasm
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Report: Spurs looking to trade Leonard this summer

Quote:
The San Antonio Spurs are “done” with star small forward Kawhi Leonard and will look to trade him this offseason, according to Hall-of-Fame basketball writer Peter Vecsey on his Patreon page.

The well-connected Vecsey cited a source who said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn’t even want Leonard attending practices.

“Keep him away from us,” Popovich would say, via Vecsey’s source. Apparently, Leonard’s uncle had been “poisoning (Leonard’s) mind against everyone.”

According to Vecsey, Leonard’s uncle “convinced Kawhi the Spurs’ medical staff were more concerned with the team’s best interests, not his.”

Meanwhile, an opposing Western Conference executive told Vecsey that “San Antonio’s hoary Holy Grail has lost its luster. I’m convinced Kawhi will be traded, but it’ll be to an Eastern team.”

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 4 of 878
Jump to: