KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

We do it because Kawhi Leonard is a 2x DPOY, multi-time all star, a Finals MVP and one of the top 5 best players in the league while Paul George is a pretty good 2nd option.

You put PG in the Spurs' system his whole career and Kawhi somewhere without Pop, and things might be reversed.

I don't live in this hypothetical world. George had a chance to shine offensively in Indiana and defensively in Oklahoma and he wasn't as good as Leonard on either end.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Report: Spurs looking to trade Leonard this summer

Quote:
The San Antonio Spurs are “done” with star small forward Kawhi Leonard and will look to trade him this offseason, according to Hall-of-Fame basketball writer Peter Vecsey on his Patreon page.

The well-connected Vecsey cited a source who said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn’t even want Leonard attending practices.

“Keep him away from us,” Popovich would say, via Vecsey’s source. Apparently, Leonard’s uncle had been “poisoning (Leonard’s) mind against everyone.”

According to Vecsey, Leonard’s uncle “convinced Kawhi the Spurs’ medical staff were more concerned with the team’s best interests, not his.”

Meanwhile, an opposing Western Conference executive told Vecsey that “San Antonio’s hoary Holy Grail has lost its luster. I’m convinced Kawhi will be traded, but it’ll be to an Eastern team.”

Lonzo going to give up that #2 or will Kawhi go with a new #? #GoodProblems
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Man, if this is going to happen...it seems like it’s a mutual breakup.

Spurs seem to be hesitating over injury concern and may not even offer supermax. Kawhi seems ready for a change.

It’s getting hostile which generally means it’s close to break up time.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:
The San Antonio Spurs are “done” with star small forward Kawhi Leonard and will look to trade him this offseason, according to Hall-of-Fame basketball writer Peter Vecsey on his Patreon page.

The well-connected Vecsey cited a source who said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn’t even want Leonard attending practices.

“Keep him away from us,” Popovich would say, via Vecsey’s source. Apparently, Leonard’s uncle had been “poisoning (Leonard’s) mind against everyone.”

According to Vecsey, Leonard’s uncle “convinced Kawhi the Spurs’ medical staff were more concerned with the team’s best interests, not his.”

Meanwhile, an opposing Western Conference executive told Vecsey that “San Antonio’s hoary Holy Grail has lost its luster. I’m convinced Kawhi will be traded, but it’ll be to an Eastern team.”

He going east. No way Pop deals him to us. At this point teams avoid the Lakers out of spite.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

He going east. No way Pop deals him to us. At this point teams avoid the Lakers out of spite.

maybe....probably...but if Kawhi's people say they will not resign with anyone except the Lakers.....then the game could change.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:

Quote:

If Pop has to trade Leonard, he will take the best offer, no matter where it comes from. If he has two similar offers, one from the East, one from the West, he takes the one from the East, but that's it.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Pop is a son of a (bleep). Anybody who thinks he would trade KL to the Lakers are setting themselves up for disappointment. Look for the Spurs to move him to one of the most least attractive franchises in the East.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

KL please request a trade to the Lakers. Even if doesn't come here, do it just to tank your trade value
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I think the Spurs will send him somewhere doesn't want to go similar to what Indiana did with George. We wont have a shot at Leonard until his free agency. Knowing this we should sign George (if we can) and try to resign our current guys on 1 year deals.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I think the Spurs will send him somewhere doesn't want to go similar to what Indiana did with George. We wont have a shot at Leonard until his free agency. Knowing this we should sign George (if we can) and try to resign our current guys on 1 year deals.

J. Randle ain't taking a one year deal.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

I meant guys like Frye, Thomas, Lopez, KCP. They should have a reasonable number for Randle in mind, if he takes it great, if not move on.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

Correct! This isn't his shot at a real salary increase that will
help him be settled for life, he can't pass that up.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

I get what you are saying but technically he's already set for life.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Agree that it looks like leonard might be traded, but Pop won't deal him to the lakers.

It is what it is, just like Indy wouldn't trade George to the lakers.

The bright side is we wont lose anyone from our young core and we might get him next season without having to give up any assets.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

Deng is owed $18.8 million in 2019-2020 and the cap is also supposed to go up $8 million next year. Hopefully, if Kawhi is available as a free agent next summer, we can find a way to dump Deng and recruit/pay for Kawhi, even with signing PG and Randle this year.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

I meant guys like Frye, Thomas, Lopez, KCP. They should have a reasonable number for Randle in mind, if he takes it great, if not move on.

What's reasonable? He's a solid, young big. I'd hate to lose him for not so great chance we sign a guy who quit on the Spurs.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

Deng is owed $18.8 million in 2019-2020 and the cap is also supposed to go up $8 million next year. Hopefully, if Kawhi is available as a free agent next summer, we can find a way to dump Deng and recruit/pay for Kawhi, even with signing PG and Randle this year.

This will work unless we get PG and Lebron this summer. I think we will get PG and Lebron this summer, so I don't see any path to Leonard.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

What's reasonable? He's a solid, young big. I'd hate to lose him for not so great chance we sign a guy who quit on the Spurs.

Only the FO can answer that. Personally I wouldn't go past maybe 15 milly.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Agree that it looks like leonard might be traded, but Pop won't deal him to the lakers.

It is what it is, just like Indy wouldn't trade George to the lakers.

The bright side is we wont lose anyone from our young core and we might get him next season without having to give up any assets.

All he has to do is say what PG said, then I am confident we will sign him in 2019.

I don't think a championship would even be enough to convince to resign anywhere else.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand the desire to get Leonard in a Lakers uniform, but there needs to be more clarification on his injury before trading away Ingram, other young players or even 1st round picks.

If it is degenerative or chronic in any way you can't trade away Ingram for him. Or be backed into the corner to have to pay him max next summer or lose him in free agency.

Can not make that trade only to watch Ingram continue to develop and surpass Leonard. Depending on the severity of his injury, is there any certainty that Leonard is ever the same player that we all are coveting?

Remember back to the wonderful Nash trade. How the chronic back spasms were not a big problem. "It was Steve F'n Nash and the Championships were inevitable!". I am picking up that same panicky fan vibe with the discussions of acquiring Leonard and Cousins at all costs.

Too risky IMO ... be patient and let this thing develop instead of chasing quick fix fantasy rosters.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
markjay wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

This will work unless we get PG and Lebron this summer. I think we will get PG and Lebron this summer, so I don't see any path to Leonard.

I think I agree. Even if the Cavs get by Toronto and Bostin/Philly, there is 0 chance Lebron has enough gas left for the Warriors or even Houston. Next year Kyrie comes back, 76ers are better and younger and the Cavs have only crappy trade pieces to improve their roster. James has got to just say, "I did what I could, I'm not winning again here".
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
deal wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

I get what you are saying but technically he's already set for life.

He has a big pay day coming, nothing will stand in the way of that. If he were a veteran that had made a ton of money, ok, but he's just getting out of his rookie contract...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
defense wrote:

Only the FO can answer that. Personally I wouldn't go past maybe 15 milly.

He'll get what the market is paying, not a penny less. That may or not be with the Lakers but he's going to get paid.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
According to multiple sources, Leonard’s camp has come to believe the issue has more to do with an ossification or hardening in the area where the muscle has been repeatedly bruised and then an atrophying, which in turn affected the tendons connecting the muscle to the knee.

I'm not a doc, but this doesn't sound good. Why would you deal any young studs for this guy?

The Lakers have over $60 million in cap space and Kawhi is a free agent next summer. It would be stupid to offer assets.

Agreed, just take the wait and see approach for now. His injury sounds scary, and thats not including the rest of his injury history prior. Too many red flags.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

He will be a Celtic.

They have the best package
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 5 of 878
Jump to: