OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
No one player has been singularly responsible for thrusting his sport into the limelight the way Tiger has. And one could argue he might actually do it twice.

Hagen-Jones-Nelson-Snead-Hogan-Palmer-Player-Nicklaus-Watson.....

I think your statement may be correct....at least debatable....but as everything, it comes in steps, and he still had to stand on the shoulders of giants to become what he did. Each one of those guys brought more spotlight on the sport, and positioned it for Tiger to take it even higher.

If we are talking nationally, I think Magic and Bird took basketball into the American home as a mainstream form of entertainment, like had never been done......then Jordan pushed that envelope globally....only for Kobe and Lebron to become global icons. Think about how many millions of young men and women picked up a basketball worldwide because of where Kobe and Lebron took the sport.

I am guessing that someone that is well versed in the history of Soccer could make a case for a player or two in that sport. Pele?

Tiger didn't just get people watching golf. He got people playing golf. He took it from the country clubs to the municipals.

don't you feel Jordan-Kobe-Lebron did the same thing post Dream Team on a global scale?
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
No one player has been singularly responsible for thrusting his sport into the limelight the way Tiger has. And one could argue he might actually do it twice.

I think your statement may be correct....at least debatable....but as everything, it comes in steps, and he still had to stand on the shoulders of giants to become what he did. Each one of those guys brought more spotlight on the sport, and positioned it for Tiger to take it even higher.

If we are talking nationally, I think Magic and Bird took basketball into the American home as a mainstream form of entertainment, like had never been done......then Jordan pushed that envelope globally....only for Kobe and Lebron to become global icons. Think about how many millions of young men and women picked up a basketball worldwide because of where Kobe and Lebron took the sport.

I am guessing that someone that is well versed in the history of Soccer could make a case for a player or two in that sport. Pele?

Tiger didn't just get people watching golf. He got people playing golf. He took it from the country clubs to the municipals.

don't you feel Jordan-Kobe-Lebron did the same thing post Dream Team on a global scale?

Not even close
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

That's so true. Especially in minority neighborhoods.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Last edited by anth2000 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

\
Agree...Hagen-Jones-Nelson-Snead-Hogan-Palmer-Player-Nicklaus-Watson..... made it an amazing white man sport....no real national coverage....very segregated.

Tiger changed all that...There is no way you can say those guys made the game more popular than when Tiger hit the scene in 1997. No way in hell.

Tiger changed the game...

Period...

No debate....

nobody did say that.....

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject:

As I've said, Tiger just moves the needle in a way that no one else can. It's just monumental for golf and for sports. One of the essayists (might have been a guy on ESPN) said that, like him or hate him, Tiger Woods makes you feel something. For me, I always thought he was a prick. But even then, I had to recognize the spectacular greatness of his talent. Since he's been back on Tour over the past couple of years, he's opened up more, been much more engaging on the course, and, I think, realized his own mortality and how much the game means to him.

Of course there were all of the personal struggles, and then the physical struggles. He literally was having trouble just living a day-to-day life, he was in so much pain. Getting his back fused together was so he could live a normal life again. Golf was not even a thought, at that point. He's said that if he suffers another serious back injury that it's over for him, that he would not rehab his back again, that he would be content knowing that he made it back, gave it all he could, and he would just want a quality of life after that where he wasn't in pain. He's playing against young guys who are doing what he used to do, guys like Koepka who can bomb drives 30-40 yards past him, guys who have more of an advantage on the par-5's. But he still has that talent, those soft hands, and that mental toughness is coming back.

I don't know how one could see the wide-eyed joy in his son Charlie's face and not be moved by it all. Tiger Woods has won The Masters. I still can't believe it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

^His reaction on 18 after winning showed the humility that many felt was missing during his stretch of incredible dominance.

To go from skulling chips across the greens like LakerLanny to winning the Masters two years later is one of the most incredible comeback stories in sports ever.

I like the new Tiger and the way he is open to showing his emotions with his family and such. Props to him, that was memorable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not even close

I gave this some thought, and I strongly disagree. The explosion in global basketball post Dream Team dwarfs that of the growth in golf globally during the Tiger era in sheer numbers. In much of the world now, basketball is a Top 3 sport, even in countries that often would use an old basketball as a soccer ball if that is all they had before the Dream Team. The torch bearers of that expansion that is still on fire today was Jordan-Kobe-Lebron.

While Tiger is a global icon and somewhat of a trailblazer for minorities in golf, I think we are being disingenuous if we do not still recognize that it is a sport mostly played by upper middle class and above. It is still an extremely expensive sport in comparison to the traditional ball sports, which will always be an impediment for lower socioeconomic classes. Even a municipal public course is going to cost at the low end $20 without cart fees for a round....and that is a lot of money for most youth in lower middle to lower economic classes.

While I do believe every modern star of any sport has had to stand on the shoulders of those that came before them to reach the levels they obtain, I do think Tiger is different in that he stood on two sets of shoulders that parallel each other....one is the Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, etc. golf based but just important is the overall minorities in sports based that includes Jackie Robinson, Jesse Owens. Bill Russell, Roberto Clemente, Arthur Ashe, Pele, Ali, etc. I am not saying Tiger is not bigger than many if not all of them in global popularity....only that there is no Tiger if those before him do not build the foundation he stands on.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Nahh, I think Tiger has done a lot more for his sport than arguably anyone. His situation is the perfect trifecta.

He is dominant. There is a narrative. And he significantly relies on no one else for success.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Nahh, I think Tiger has done a lot more for his sport than arguably anyone. His situation is the perfect trifecta.

He is dominant. There is a narrative. And he significantly relies on no one else for success.

none of that relates to the question
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/skratch/status/1043999598648446976?lang=en

Not sure when that was made, but cool to watch knowing what he did yesterday.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As I've said, Tiger just moves the needle in a way that no one else can. It's just monumental for golf and for sports. One of the essayists (might have been a guy on ESPN) said that, like him or hate him, Tiger Woods makes you feel something. For me, I always thought he was a prick. But even then, I had to recognize the spectacular greatness of his talent. Since he's been back on Tour over the past couple of years, he's opened up more, been much more engaging on the course, and, I think, realized his own mortality and how much the game means to him.

Of course there were all of the personal struggles, and then the physical struggles. He literally was having trouble just living a day-to-day life, he was in so much pain. Getting his back fused together was so he could live a normal life again. Golf was not even a thought, at that point. He's said that if he suffers another serious back injury that it's over for him, that he would not rehab his back again, that he would be content knowing that he made it back, gave it all he could, and he would just want a quality of life after that where he wasn't in pain. He's playing against young guys who are doing what he used to do, guys like Koepka who can bomb drives 30-40 yards past him, guys who have more of an advantage on the par-5's. But he still has that talent, those soft hands, and that mental toughness is coming back.

I don't know how one could see the wide-eyed joy in his son Charlie's face and not be moved by it all. Tiger Woods has won The Masters. I still can't believe it.

This sums up my feelings very well.

I felt the same about him. I respected his skill and dominance, because how could you not. But I really disliked the guy. And for that reason, when he announced his comeback attempt, I was kind of put off. I thought, "Come on you arrogant douche. You're long done. Check the ego and let the new guard have their day". At first it was a distracting novelty of "Tiger is in the field! Oh my!" it seemed almost embarrassing. And I kind of chuckled at those failed first outings.

But then watching as he worked to get his game back, it wasn't like that. He has been humble and respectful and all appearances were that he just wanted to be another guy trying to get his game back - not for glory or to be The Man again, but for his own goals of proving to himself he can get back to relevancy. He is personable, approachable, and you can tell he is really enjoying just being back in the fold.

And I think it has changed his mind set to the game in the best possible way. Instead of taking to the course with the determination to be an dominating force over a weekend, seize the lead going into Sunday and fending off all comers, he's much more focused and making his way through the weekend. Just battling to be around after the cut and then navigating the Saturday and Sunday rounds as they unfold. Which is why I felt if he was with a few strokes on Sunday morning, he would actually have a shot the way he has been playing. Not perfect, but skilled, intelligent, patient and scrappy.

I still have some reservations about the off the course guy and the associations he has. But that guy at the tee box and on the fairways and greens? The guy talking about the game and what it means to him to have a second chance?

Yeah, that guy I like a lot. And man, has it been something to watch.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

none of that relates to the question

How so? Thought the question was who has done more than Tiger to thrust their sport into the limelight?

Tiger has more than just his ability to hit a ball going for him.

He’s got a great story on top of it that draws additional intrigue.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Brooks Koepka came out hot. Shot 7 under in the first round of PGA.

He's kind of a prick, but I like him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

How does this dude perform like this but still only managed to win 2 non-major tournaments?

Make any sense to anyone?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

How does this dude perform like this but still only managed to win 2 non-major tournaments?

dude, was born and raised in Florida....his father was born and raised in WV...guy has perfect breeding for the biggest moments.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

dude, was born and raised in Florida....his father was born and raised in WV...guy has perfect breeding for the biggest moments.

Wat
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject:

This dude has turned into what we thought Spieth would maintain at the majors. He's just always there. As for why he hasn't won much other than the majors, it's not easy to win out there, first off, and he's still young and will garner plenty of non-major PGA Tour victories. But beyond that, I think he probably just focuses in even harder at the majors. Plus, the courses at the majors tend to be more challenging, and a player like him that can hit the ball off the tee as far and as straight as he can is going to have even more of an advantage on harder courses.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
This dude has turned into what we thought Spieth would maintain at the majors. He's just always there. As for why he hasn't won much other than the majors, it's not easy to win out there, first off, and he's still young and will garner plenty of non-major PGA Tour victories. But beyond that, I think he probably just focuses in even harder at the majors. Plus, the courses at the majors tend to be more challenging, and a player like him that can hit the ball off the tee as far and as straight as he can is going to have even more of an advantage on harder courses.

Ok, would you expect this trend to continue or do you think it’s an anomaly?

It’s just weird to have 4 majors (should he win today) and 2 non-majors.

Dude is a beast. It’d be funny if he finishes his career with more majors than non-majors.

In 2017 and 2018, he won 3 tournaments - all majors. Let’s say he played in 8 majors (3/8) and 33 non-majors (0/33).

In his career, he’s played in 116 tournaments (including today).

Let’s say he’s played in 16 majors and 100 non-majors.

So he’s 4/16 in majors (25%) and 2/100 (2%) in non-majors
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Wat

Father raised on mountain water.....son takes those genetics and is raised on natural spring water.....same formula for my daughter who is perfect. You do the math.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

It's getting interesting.

2 shot lead now.

Oh oh, Koepka in trouble at 14.

No player has ever lost a 7 shot lead in a major on the final day.

Man, 4 straight bogeys. 1 shot lead now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not even close

Yeah, it was a gradual build up from Magic/Bird to MJ to Lakers 3 peat until now.

With Tiger and golf...man it's night and day. My entire family does not give a F about golf but if Tiger's playing, we'll almost always have it on in the background at gatherings and everyone stops to watch him hit. I don't know why I do it either but you know...Tiger's up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

How ya hittin it DMR?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
How ya hittin it DMR?

LOL! Funny you should ask. On Sunday I had my best front 9 ever (+8) and then Wednesday I had my worst round in well over a year (110 )
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Mcilroy @ -9 through 14

Has a shot at 59
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 9 of 33
Jump to: