OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

From most disgraced to most revered. Who has the movie rights?

Go get the US Open Tiger.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

No one moves the needle like Tiger Woods. Not LeBron, not Tom Brady, not anyone.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
No one moves the needle like Tiger Woods. Not LeBron, not Tom Brady, not anyone.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I use to have this discussion/debate with a guy I worked with....I claimed there is a difference in being dominant in a sport and winning in a sport....even if the results are similar. It is mental. Tiger was always my best example in that for a stretch of time, the fan "felt" like he was nearly unbeatable....like it was over before it started. Clearly, even at his best, he did not win every single tournament....but the way he played made it "feel" like he did because he clearly was dominant, or significantly better than anyone else in the sport during that period.

In contrast, I have never felt like Tom Brady was a dominant force in football. I never felt like most of his SuperBowls were over before they began....he never felt truly unbeatable. Serena had a similar period of pure dominance. Lennox Lewis was a much better boxer than Mike Tyson.....but Lewis never felt like he dominated boxing in the way Tyson did for a period.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Brady's at a disadvantage. He plays a team sport.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I use to have this discussion/debate with a guy I worked with....I claimed there is a difference in being dominant in a sport and winning in a sport....even if the results are similar. It is mental. Tiger was always my best example in that for a stretch of time, the fan "felt" like he was nearly unbeatable....like it was over before it started. Clearly, even at his best, he did not win every single tournament....but the way he played made it "feel" like he did because he clearly was dominant, or significantly better than anyone else in the sport during that period.

In contrast, I have never felt like Tom Brady was a dominant force in football. I never felt like most of his SuperBowls were over before they began....he never felt truly unbeatable. Serena had a similar period of pure dominance. Lennox Lewis was a much better boxer than Mike Tyson.....but Lewis never felt like he dominated boxing in the way Tyson did for a period.

Totally get what you mean, although, I think much of this is a function of narrative. Was Tiger’s win dominant? He won by a stroke over several other players. Also, team sports will reduce the impact of a player as well.

In my youth, my favorite tennis player was Pete Sampras, but I think a lot of people would say Agassi was more “dominant” because Agassi was more controversial and demonstrative.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

You can judge Tigers dominance by his 7 straight wins. Second only to Byron Nelson's 11 straight.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

^
Agassi is my favorite athlete ever, but there really wasn't a point where he was a dominant player like Pete. Sure, Andre won 8 majors, won a career Grand Slam, had a couple of reigns as #1 later in his career when he did reinvent himself, and had a great second (or third) act. But Pete was #1 for 286 weeks, and was the year-end #1 for 6 consecutive years, which is still a record.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Agassi is my favorite athlete ever, but there really wasn't a point where he was a dominant player like Pete. Sure, Andre won 8 majors, won a career Grand Slam, had a couple of reigns as #1 later in his career when he did reinvent himself, and had a great second (or third) act. But Pete was #1 for 286 weeks, and was the year-end #1 for 6 consecutive years, which is still a record.

Did you know Agassi wore extensions?

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

In my youth, my favorite tennis player was Pete Sampras, but I think a lot of people would say Agassi was more “dominant” because Agassi was more controversial and demonstrative.

Agassi has never been perceived as dominant especially not more so than Sampras.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

change the title Tiger wins baby!
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Just rewatched the back nine. (bleep) brilliant.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Agassi has never been perceived as dominant especially not more so than Sampras.

Maybe I’m conflating dominance with coverage but Agassi always got a lot more attention and coverage in spite of Sampras being better.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Was Tiger’s win dominant? He won by a stroke over several other players.

not now, a decade ago
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

2nd Player ever to win a major in 3 different decades. Could be the 1st to do it in 4 separate decades if his back stays together another couple years. (On a side note, Vince Carter isn't retiring so he can become the 1st Basketball player play in 4 different decades.)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Brady's at a disadvantage. He plays a team sport.

true, and maybe it is a football thing....but I watched Barry Bonds have a dominant period in baseball....I even felt guys like Randy Johnson was dominant a few seasons in Seattle....'94-'95 Maddux?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
You can judge Tigers dominance by his 7 straight wins. Second only to Byron Nelson's 11 straight.

I would put winning the Grand Slam ahead of that. Yeah, yeah, the media tried to say it wasn’t a Grand Slam because it wasn’t in a single calendar year. I never bought that. If you hold all four trophies, you’ve won the Grand Slam. Only five golfers have won the modern Grand Slam in their careers (plus Bobby Jones for the premodern Grand Slam). Tiger won them all in a row, That’s dominance.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

No one player has been singularly responsible for thrusting his sport into the limelight the way Tiger has. And one could argue he might actually do it twice.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

First off, not a big golf guy but I follow all sports to some degree, certainly the big names.

There has been no other like Tiger......other than Michael Jordan, there has never been anyone bigger to the sport, to any sport, ever. No one can dispute that. His run from 1997-2007 was something of legend.....never again will we see that in any sport.

I know he never should have gotten married when he did...he was obviously not in the frame of mind to do that. He did what many do, he was not marriage material and chose the life he did. He was on top of his game...so he thought. Then it all crashed down and crashed hard.....most of it deservingly so....for sure....He got what he deserved

Now almost a decade or so later, after multiple back surgeries, knee procedures, a divorce, etc......dropping from #1 to almost 1200.....wow, why even attempt to come back? Why?

But he did....and he won today...

I will say this.....regardless of his personal life which I was happy to see his mom and kids there, he worked his ass off to come back....

comeback story A+, even if you don't like the guy.....I don't think I can name a better comeback story in the history of sports...

Congrats Tiger....
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Tiger so good even other current golfers show respect mostly because they know he's getting them paid.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

So... can he tie, 3 more? 43 yrs old
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Well, it's golf, so he has several more years before age will actually become a potentially insurmountable problem.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
No one player has been singularly responsible for thrusting his sport into the limelight the way Tiger has. And one could argue he might actually do it twice.

Hagen-Jones-Nelson-Snead-Hogan-Palmer-Player-Nicklaus-Watson.....

I think your statement may be correct....at least debatable....but as everything, it comes in steps, and he still had to stand on the shoulders of giants to become what he did. Each one of those guys brought more spotlight on the sport, and positioned it for Tiger to take it even higher.

If we are talking nationally, I think Magic and Bird took basketball into the American home as a mainstream form of entertainment, like had never been done......then Jordan pushed that envelope globally....only for Kobe and Lebron to become global icons. Think about how many millions of young men and women picked up a basketball worldwide because of where Kobe and Lebron took the sport.

I am guessing that someone that is well versed in the history of Soccer could make a case for a player or two in that sport. Pele?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

if he can get 1 more within the next 12 months, I will think it is possible....but as of now, I would bet against it. I think it is more about the level of competition on the tour more than can Tiger play at a high level for several more years.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Hagen-Jones-Nelson-Snead-Hogan-Palmer-Player-Nicklaus-Watson.....

I think your statement may be correct....at least debatable....but as everything, it comes in steps, and he still had to stand on the shoulders of giants to become what he did. Each one of those guys brought more spotlight on the sport, and positioned it for Tiger to take it even higher.

If we are talking nationally, I think Magic and Bird took basketball into the American home as a mainstream form of entertainment, like had never been done......then Jordan pushed that envelope globally....only for Kobe and Lebron to become global icons. Think about how many millions of young men and women picked up a basketball worldwide because of where Kobe and Lebron took the sport.

I am guessing that someone that is well versed in the history of Soccer could make a case for a player or two in that sport. Pele?

Tiger didn't just get people watching golf. He got people playing golf. He took it from the country clubs to the municipals.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 8 of 33
Jump to: