Are there any Watch Enthusiasts on LG?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Are there any Watch Enthusiasts on LG?

What are your favorite brands/styles? How many do you own?

I've been working on a small collection of Swiss Affordable's after selling my Rolex and Omega. I've found I'm happier with a larger variety of low/mid-range watches than having two very expensive one's.

Here's a SOTC!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/839zhn/sotc_oris_x2_fortis_squale_hamilton_etc/

Happy Friday!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I have a Submariner (standard black on SS with date), a Cartier Tank 18K on leather, and a RW Parsifal Chrono two-tone 18K/stainless on leather. The sub is my daily watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I have an Omega Seamaster 300 and a Tag Heuer Formula One. Both are just collecting dust to be honest. I've been using my Apple Watch S2 more.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I have a Submariner (standard black on SS with date), a Cartier Tank 18K on leather, and a RW Parsifal Chrono two-tone 18K/stainless on leather. The sub is my daily watch.

I’ve looked at the Raymond Weil a few times and been under impressed with the build quality vs. price. What’s your opinion on RW?

I sold my Sub no date because I was tired of people asking “is that real?” I don’t really look like someone who’d have a Rolex and realized it didn’t suit me well. You on the other hand, I’d definitely expect a Rolex or Carier on your wrist and I’m sure you wear them well! Is the Tank an XL? Any pics?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I have an Omega Seamaster 300 and a Tag Heuer Formula One. Both are just collecting dust to be honest. I've been using my Apple Watch S2 more.

The SMP 300 was the other watch I had to let go. Not because it was collecting dust but because I realized, for a 4K watch, literally everyone I know had one. As much as I loved it, after a while it just seemed pedestrian.

I haven’t bought an Apple Watch although I’ve been tempted. I have a rule with watches. If it won’t last 20+ years, I won’t buy it.

Tag, gets no love from me btw. I’ve owned 4 and all of them were crap compared side by side with brands like Fortis and Oris who use similar movements yet make amazing watches at a fraction of the price. Which is why I’m completely done with them. (Although, those Link’s are still sexy as hell).
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I’ve looked at the Raymond Weil a few times and been under impressed with the build quality vs. price. What’s your opinion on RW?

Sucks. Beautiful watch (see below), but no durability. Had to go back for repairs several times, and the last time they told me all the things that needed to be done for it (mind you, after being well cared for and regularly serviced) added up to over $1K, and I just ended up sticking it in a dresser drawer and haven't looked at it since. Not interested in another RW. Plus a chrono is one thing I have absolutely no use for any more. Not the best tool for the job.

I sold my Sub no date because I was tired of people asking “is that real?” I don’t really look like someone who’d have a Rolex and realized it didn’t suit me well. You on the other hand, I’d definitely expect a Rolex or Carier on your wrist and I’m sure you wear them well! Is the Tank an XL? Any pics?[/quote]

The Tank I bought in 1986 (!) and it's still going strong. This is it exactly:

And yeah, I've never been asked "Is that real?" about the Sub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Don’t be offended boss. I’d like to see the backside of that watch. Macro shots of the bridge, mainspring and all its jewels
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

These are all excellent looking. But I haven't worn an actual watch for fashion purposes since 5th grade. I had a bad-ass neon green and black Swatch.

I wear a Fitbit type watch now, but it is low profile and was only about 50 bucks.

Any time I try on a regular watch, it just feels / looks awkward.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
rwongega wrote:

The SMP 300 was the other watch I had to let go. Not because it was collecting dust but because I realized, for a 4K watch, literally everyone I know had one. As much as I loved it, after a while it just seemed pedestrian.

I haven’t bought an Apple Watch although I’ve been tempted. I have a rule with watches. If it won’t last 20+ years, I won’t buy it.

Tag, gets no love from me btw. I’ve owned 4 and all of them were crap compared side by side with brands like Fortis and Oris who use similar movements yet make amazing watches at a fraction of the price. Which is why I’m completely done with them. (Although, those Link’s are still sexy as hell).

True, everyone pretty much has one haha. But I still keep that around for any formal events.

I almost didn't but I managed to find one at a liquidation sale that was just too good to pass up. The features have been nice though part of me wishes they came out with the cellular version earlier.

The TAG I got from a Duty Free shop and it was my first expensive non-digital watch so I hold onto it for nostalgic purposes. Plus, I do love Formula One so that helped it stay.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

I have an Oakley Blade II, with a red face with Swiss movement, hardly the high-end stuff being mentioned, but at $450 was about the tops of what I would even spend for a watch. It is super comfortable and looks rather badd-azz and futuristic and I get a lot of compliments on it...

This is not mine, but there is one currently on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OAKLEY-BLADE-II-WATCH-10-189-Sunburst-Red-Face-Black-Rubber-Band-GREAT-CONDITION/112563939827?epid=1424628162&hash=item1a355569f3:g:PW0AAOSwiOdZupWe:sc:USPSFirstClass!92845!US!-1
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Forgot I also have a Tissot Chrono XL that I've misplaced in my attic and a Hamtilon Field Khaki watch that was my main until I got my Apple Watch.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

The smartphone took the watch's place.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I have an Oakley Blade II, with a red face with Swiss movement, hardly the high-end stuff being mentioned, but at $450 was about the tops of what I would even spend for a watch. It is super comfortable and looks rather badd-azz and futuristic and I get a lot of compliments on it...

This is not mine, but there is one currently on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OAKLEY-BLADE-II-WATCH-10-189-Sunburst-Red-Face-Black-Rubber-Band-GREAT-CONDITION/112563939827?epid=1424628162&hash=item1a355569f3:g:PW0AAOSwiOdZupWe:sc:USPSFirstClass!92845!US!-1

That watch definitely looks like it wants to beat someone up!

To add, I’ve never heard anything bad about Oakley watches and they tend to hold their value well.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

Here son, I'd like you to have my 1st generation iPhone. It was in my pocket when I met your mother, it was with me when we got married and when you were born. Some day you can pass it down to your son.

Said nobody, ever.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Any suggestions for one between 1-2K? I like metal bands and I don't mind purchasing used either.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Conker wrote:

Here son, I'd like you to have my 1st generation iPhone. It was in my pocket when I met your mother, it was with me when we got married and when you were born. Some day you can pass it down to your son.

Said nobody, ever.

That’s a good point. For the life of me, I don’t get the urge to spend thousands on a collection of anachronisms, but the heirloom passed down? That makes perfect sense
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Any suggestions for one between 1-2K? I like metal bands and I don't mind purchasing used either.

Start with finding your style. Do you want something dressy? A diver? A pilots watch? Do you want an Automatic or Quartz?

From there you can begin to zero in on Brands and prices.

In that price range, there’s a lot to choose from.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any Watch Enthusiasts on LG?

lakerjoshua wrote:

I've been working on a small collection of Swiss Affordable's after selling my Rolex and Omega. I've found I'm happier with a larger variety of low/mid-range watches than having two very expensive one's.

Here's a SOTC!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/839zhn/sotc_oris_x2_fortis_squale_hamilton_etc/

Happy Friday!

Nice collection. You and I have similar tastes.

I was really into watches about 5 years ago, but I had to get rid of all of them to pay for other hobbies that took over. But during that time, I was on WUS like every day. It was terrible on my wallet.

I couldn't afford a super nice piece like Rolex or IWC, but I had a bunch of affordables that I enjoyed. Mainly vintage inspired military divers and pilots from Squale, Laco, Hamilton, Steinhart, MKII, and Seiko. And then you had to get nice straps for all of them, such an expensive hobby.

Been thinking about picking up a dependable time piece recently, but I don't wanna get sucked into the vortex again.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I got a Submariner when I graduated college. That's something I plan to keep forever since my father got it as a wedding gift from my mother in '77. Since then, I've picked up a 2ND hand daytona, an iwc portuguese, omega speedmaster dark side of the moon and a tudor blackshield.

If I ever could afford it, I'd love to add a Patek Nautilus.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
You can get older model breitlings or omega's around that price. Honestly, for a bit more, I'd go with a tudor black bay. They're very decent imo at a nice price point.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any Watch Enthusiasts on LG?

Triumph wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Here's a SOTC!

Happy Friday!

Nice collection. You and I have similar tastes.

I was really into watches about 5 years ago, but I had to get rid of all of them to pay for other hobbies that took over. But during that time, I was on WUS like every day. It was terrible on my wallet.

I couldn't afford a super nice piece like Rolex or IWC, but I had a bunch of affordables that I enjoyed. Mainly vintage inspired military divers and pilots from Squale, Laco, Hamilton, Steinhart, MKII, and Seiko. And then you had to get nice straps for all of them, such an expensive hobby.

Been thinking about picking up a dependable time piece recently, but I don't wanna get sucked into the vortex again.

Thanks! And yeah, it’s definitely a wallet drain which is why I sold my more expensive watches to finance a larger, mid level/ affordables collection.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
You can get older model breitlings or omega's around that price. Honestly, for a bit more, I'd go with a tudor black bay. They're very decent imo at a nice price point.

I desperately want a Tudor. I’ve tried them on more than once to the extent the dealer told me if I want to try it on again he’s going to start charging me lol. The Pelagos is absolutely stunning. When I’m done playing with my affordables and consolidate them into a single heirloom piece it’s going to be a Pelagos.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I desperately want a Tudor. I’ve tried them on more than once to the extent the dealer told me if I want to try it on again he’s going to start charging me lol. The Pelagos is absolutely stunning. When I’m done playing with my affordables and consolidate them into a single heirloom piece it’s going to be a Pelagos.

Just looked up these names. That's the type of style that I like.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Just looked up these names. That's the type of style that I like.

We have a Dive watch fan!! There’s tons of amazing Divers in your price range. Tudor Black Bay, Oris Divers 65, Pre owned Omega Seamaster are a good starting point if you’re looking at Swiss Automatics. Of the 3, I’d say the Omega Seamaster is probably the most versatile as it can double as a dress watch, it’s highly recognizable and an iconic design. (Yes I called it pedestrian in my post above but that just because I’m a spoiled brat).
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Said nobody, ever.

Hello, little man. Boy, I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I was a good friend of your dad’s. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully, you’ll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your Dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Major Coolidge would be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I’m talking to you, Butch. I got something for you.

This iPhone I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first generation release. It was bought in a little Apple store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make smart phones. Up till then people just wore wrist watches. It was bought by private Doughboy Ernie Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather’s war iPhone and he used it every day he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the iPhone off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until your granddad Dane Coolidge was drawn to the SECOND generation iPhone. Your great-grandfather gave this iPhone to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane’s luck wasn’t as good as his old man’s. Dane was a Marine and he was killed, along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he’d never seen in the flesh, his second gen iPhone. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his dad’s second generation iPhone.

This iPhone. This iPhone was in your daddy’s pocket when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if they ever saw the iPhone it’d be confiscated, taken away. The way your dad looked at it, that iPhone was your birthright. He’d be damned if they were gonna put their greasy hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this iPhone up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the iPhone. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the iPhone to you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: