*** Los Angeles Lakers @ Dallas Mavericks (02/10/18) ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

No defensive communication, no weak side rotations or help combined with a lethargic effort always equal a loss. Total team defeat.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Luke is getting bashed, but the team did put him in a bad position in terms of this season. Now he has to adjust on the fly after losing maybe his best defensive player for the worst defensive player in the NBA. A player who is trying to get paid.

He has to deal with the agent talking and Magic/Rob already saying Isaiah is going to play big minutes. I am sure later on he will have to deal with LaVar again when he decides to speak up about Isaiah.

We will see how he adjusts. The Cavs were playing decent enough before Isaiah came back from injury. And then were horrible. Luke/Lakers have to be ready to limit Isaiah's minutes if it isn't working or this season might not end great. And that could be the lasting impression that is left on free agents.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Why not just play IT in exactly the same role Luke would play Jordan Clarkson?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

That's basically the plan in a nutshell.
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Seriously, idk why luke went crazy with the rotations tonight.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
BJ Metta

@bj_metta
27m27 minutes ago
Isaiah Thomas @ Dallas:

On Court 31 mins:
OffRtg: 110
DefRtg: 111.1
NetRtg: -1.1

Off Court 17 mins:
OffRtg: 140.9
DefRtg: 156.4
NetRtg: -15.5

Again if you want to blame the Lakers defense tonight on IT we can’t be friends

that's pretty insane
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Had a day to game plan. I mean it was all feel with IT tonight. He did play within the flow, moved the ball around, facilitated the offense. But the extended defensive lapses / low energy showed me that we couldn’t stop the ball on the defensive end. It was matched up with their center on several plays. It’s one game... but this should have been a romp. Something didn’t work tonight, I hope Luke is breaking the tape down with his coaching staff on a webex right now.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I think IT was trying to be too generous to his teammates at the end... he did miss some outside shots in the second half... however, he passed the ball in to the bigs at least three times that resulted in a turnover. Also considering that KCP missed two key free throws... it would be better that he took it to the rim to draw a foul so he could get the shots. I did think Ingram should have been more involved but other than that one horrible drive for a turnover, offensively he wasn't to blame. Luke also let him sit way too long, which either resulted in making him cool off or maybe even pissed him off, but he wasn't the same after the long layoff.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

RECAP:
Nowitzki, Mavs spoil Thomas debut in 130-123 win over Lakers

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki scored a season-high 22 points, Harrison Barnes had 21 and the last-place Dallas Mavericks spoiled Isaiah Thomas' strong debut with the Lakers, beating Los Angeles 130-123 on Saturday night.

Thomas finished with 22 points and already looks like a better fit in coach Luke Walton's offense than he did in an ill-fated 15-game stint with Cleveland after the offseason trade that sent Kyrie Irving to Boston.

The diminutive guard's first half with the Lakers was his highest-scoring half of the season, a team-high 16 points.

http://www.nba.com/games/20180210/LALDAL#/recap
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Can we just remove Dallas and Portland from the schedule? I would rather face GSW or Houston tbh.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Luke is getting bashed, but the team did put him in a bad position in terms of this season. Now he has to adjust on the fly after losing maybe his best defensive player for the worst defensive player in the NBA. A player who is trying to get paid.

He has to deal with the agent talking and Magic/Rob already saying Isaiah is going to play big minutes. I am sure later on he will have to deal with LaVar again when he decides to speak up about Isaiah.

We will see how he adjusts. The Cavs were playing decent enough before Isaiah came back from injury. And then were horrible. Luke/Lakers have to be ready to limit Isaiah's minutes if it isn't working or this season might not end great. And that could be the lasting impression that is left on free agents.

This just reminded me...

I disagree re who the lakers best defensive player was (at least time wise) at the point just when he was injured...

Lonzo. Hopefully he gets back soon as I think he will assist shoring up some more of those holes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Quote:
BJ Metta

@bj_metta
27m27 minutes ago
Isaiah Thomas @ Dallas:

On Court 31 mins:
OffRtg: 110
DefRtg: 111.1
NetRtg: -1.1

Off Court 17 mins:
OffRtg: 140.9
DefRtg: 156.4
NetRtg: -15.5

Again if you want to blame the Lakers defense tonight on IT we can’t be friends

that's pretty insane

Aaaaaaand this is why stats don't always tell the story, and I try to use them regularly lol. But I watched almost all of the second half with my own eyes. IT was getting abused. Yes, the whole team defense tonight was awful, but he was by far the biggest problem in the 4th quarter defensively. Advanced stats would have you believe that IT was the best defender on the Lakers tonight. NOT. A. CHANCE.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Can we just remove Dallas and Portland from the schedule? I would rather face GSW or Houston tbh.

Almost all of their Western Conf apathy venues are coming up again save for Port. We got Dallas, Minny, NO, Sac, Denver, Memphis. Scary. They could lose all 6 of those games if they take their usual casual attitudes with them. Not even hyperbole, sadly. They're already 1-5 at those sites with the win coming in OT. Just look at the repugnant effort on D last nite. Trying to beat a Wonder bread all-O roster with all-O and even getting punked in the few defensive moments of the game. Ancient Dirk scores 22. Luke sits there looking dismayed at the lack of D as it continued from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th. Giving up the lead (67 pts at half) in the final minute of the half guaranteed they were going to continue sucking ass for the rest of the night. Hard to do a complete Jekyll & Hyde routine from one half to the next.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

IMO we will play near .500 ball for the remainder of the season.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

We were just a tired team in crucial moments of the game. Luke will integrate the pieces better next game. IT has heart. As long as our team doesn’t start pointing fingers, I think we get focus back on the defensive end. Communication is a product of familiarity with your teammates. We acclimate and begin to start another streak of winning quarters again.

If I take one thing away from this game, it’s that IT isn’t injured anymore. It’s just that everyone needs to run with him on those breaks, as if he were JC.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

I believe Luke, just put the wrong line up to close the ball game.

If IT is there as a closer. We needed to have brook for protection. Kuz was not good enough def to be there to close.

My closing lineup would have been.

BI, IT, Hart, Randle n Brook

If IT is out then Kuz could close
rdxxx
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Because he's basically a worser offensive version of Clarkson without defense, which translates to why the Lakers lost yesterday. Not saying that Clarkson is defensive stopper, but at least he's not a defensive liability.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

rdxxx wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Because he's basically a worser offensive version of Clarkson without defense, which translates to why the Lakers lost yesterday. Not saying that Clarkson is defensive stopper, but at least he's not a defensive liability.

Actually, what I saw was a better version of Clarkson on offense, but a worse version of Clarkson on defense. IT can light up a scoreboard. But on defense - wow that dude is small, and not explosive after his hip injury.

I still say if used right he could help this team. But I cannot see him go beyond role player. Ball/Hart/Ingram/Randle/Lopez against a team with size to close a game imo. Or throw in KCP and sit Lopez if Luke wants Randle at center and JR's not winded.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63
Page 63 of 63
Jump to: