2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Justice would be the Rams losing the game on a blown call. That is what I am hoping for.

The Rams almost did lose the game on a blown call. There is clear photo evidence that the refs blew it when they missed a blatant facemask penalty that likely gives the Rams the win.

And maybe this is justice for bountygate. I’ve noticed there are a lot of happy Viking fans right now.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

How about the critical sack on Brees where not one but two Rams players grabbed his helmet? No call and Saints fans aren’t crying about it because stuff like that gets missed all the time. Pass interference with head to head contact isn’t missed very often.

More calls are missed in the playoffs when the refs seem to be “letting them play.” In both games I thought there were too many missed calls.

Also, one of the explanations I heard was that the ball was tipped which would mean there was no pass interference. Personally I can’t tell if the ball was tipped when I look at the replay.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

How about the critical sack on Brees where not one but two Rams players grabbed his helmet? No call and Saints fans aren’t crying about it because stuff like that gets missed all the time. Pass interference with head to head contact isn’t missed very often.

More calls are missed in the playoffs when the refs seem to be “letting them play.” In both games I thought there were too many missed calls.

Also, one of the explanations I heard was that the ball was tipped which would mean there was no pass interference. Personally I can’t tell if the ball was tipped when I look at the replay.

that might be the case right there. one official thought he saw the ball was tipped, and hence no PI called. since PI isn't a reviewable play, they let the call stands. i think this is what happened.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
There are missed calls in EVERY NFL game. Some are more egregious than others, some change the outcome of games. these are known's. There's no changing what happened. C'est la vie

Yes, missed calls are everywhere. What makes the non call against the Rams damaging to the NFL is that it was a failure of their most recent point of emphasis, player safety.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Justice would be the Rams losing the game on a blown call. That is what I am hoping for.

The Rams almost did lose the game on a blown call. There is clear photo evidence that the refs blew it when they missed a blatant facemask penalty that likely gives the Rams the win.

And maybe this is justice for bountygate. I’ve noticed there are a lot of happy Viking fans right now.

And if the refs call the hands to Brees' helmet toward the end of the first half the Rams probably wouldn't have scored their first TD. You can play that game all day. What the league has to recover from is the incompetence of their officials. And the Rams are victims as well, there are a lot of people saying they don't belong in the Super Bowl. I disagree with that opinion, they are deserving.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

@ChickenStu.....but it's not the World Series....and in baseball, a team can only score on offense. It is one team, not two teams (an offense and defense)....every time Brady puts that ball in the air, the Chiefs have every right to catch the ball, and score. If you are unable to stop a team from marching down the field 70-80 yards for a TD.....then I just do not have much sympathy for the team. I do think when 50 yard field goals became the norm, it was prudent to change the rules for OT.....but while scoring is up a little, scoring a TD after driving the full field still should not be easy or even likely.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
@ChickenStu.....but it's not the World Series....and in baseball, a team can only score on offense. It is one team, not two teams (an offense and defense)....every time Brady puts that ball in the air, the Chiefs have every right to catch the ball, and score. If you are unable to stop a team from marching down the field 70-80 yards for a TD.....then I just do not have much sympathy for the team. I do think when 50 yard field goals became the norm, it was prudent to change the rules for OT.....but while scoring is up a little, scoring a TD after driving the full field still should not be easy or even likely.

yeah agreed, converting three 3rd and 10 was no joke, KC defense crapped the pants
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Brady is not the Brady of old but he's still very competitive. Those who think he's fallen off the Kellerman cliff are in for a rude a wakening.

Gronk is not the Gronk of old but when it's time to make a contribution he rises to the occasion. Not just pass catching but QB protection and blocking for receivers. He does it all.

Also this is a veteran team seasoned by years of togetherness and familiarity with the pressures of Super Bowls.

Last but not lease they have Bill Belichick.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Brady, Gronk and Edelman came up big on those 3rd and long plays. You can't fake that or pretend the league or the refs handed that to them. They earned it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

What about in a shootout when both offenses are scoring at will and they go to OT?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Saints fans are really angry, they're now filing lawsuits! The owner and head coach have been whining and complaining so bad. Newsflash, every NFL game is going to have a few non-calls and a controversial call or 2.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25824920/angry-new-orleans-saints-fans-file-lawsuits-put-billboards

I don't blame them.

It cost them a Super Bowl spot, literally.

This "missed call" was so obvious that it is criminal.

To me, this puts a major taint on the Super Bowl.

There's no taint on the Superbowl.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

What about in a shootout when both offenses are scoring at will and they go to OT?

That is the risk of getting into a shootout....the team with the ball last usually wins. My advice would be to avoid shootouts. Having a solid defense is just part of the formula....the same as offense, special teams, depth, etc....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Saints fans are really angry, they're now filing lawsuits! The owner and head coach have been whining and complaining so bad. Newsflash, every NFL game is going to have a few non-calls and a controversial call or 2.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25824920/angry-new-orleans-saints-fans-file-lawsuits-put-billboards

I don't blame them.

assuming you are a Rams fan?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I agree their actions are silly....the Rams are 100% going to the Super Bowl no matter how loud the outrage becomes. Also, the outrage is not limited to Saints fans....it is basically all non Ram fans that are disgusted with the officials. That said, this was a little more than your typical contested call.....this was blatant and is the reason the Saints are not in the Super Bowl. There will be changes to the rules based on the missed pass interference call.....or whatever you want to call it.....missed seems too innocent since every referee must have had their eyes closed.

It is one of the reasons I am taking the Patriots in the Super Bowl....I do not know if the NFL can allow the Rams to win the Super Bowl in fear of so many fans viewing them as illegitimate.

good point on "gifting" Patriots the title. Rams should use this as extra fuel heading into the game.

Can there be room for "xtra fuel"?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am not disparaging them....I feel bad for them....it is not fair to them to have to answer for the officials and it has to taint their SB experience to a degree when the media is focused on why they should not be there.

The alternative is the ref makes the call and the Rams wouldn't have to answer any questions about why the ref didn't make the call.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That is the risk of getting into a shootout....the team with the ball last usually wins. My advice would be to avoid shootouts. Having a solid defense is just part of the formula....the same as offense, special teams, depth, etc....

But then you're saying in a shootout, the OT winner basically boils down to whoever wins the coin toss.

Basically, you're saying the OT rules are set up for balanced teams. Teams that are equally as good on defense as they are on offense.

If you have 2 teams that are great on offense but suck on defense, then OT rules pretty much reward whichever team is lucky enough to win the coin toss, even though both earned the right to play in OT.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I don't blame them.

When's the last major sports title winner that was tainted? NCAA or pro, any major sport
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Any fan of any team would take the W if their team was the beneficiary of a blown call like the Rams were.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

But then you're saying in a shootout, the OT winner basically boils down to whoever wins the coin toss.

Basically, you're saying the OT rules are set up for balanced teams. Teams that are equally as good on defense as they are on offense.

If you have 2 teams that are great on offense but suck on defense, then OT rules pretty much reward whichever team is lucky enough to win the coin toss, even though both earned the right to play in OT.

Obviously, you know I'm more with your train of thought here. I mean, New England allowed KC to drive almost the length of the field in, what, like 30 seconds to kick the tying FG near the end of regulation? No one was stopping the other team by the end of that contest. And, I'll say this again, there is no correct or right way to build a team. The object is to win, to score more than your opponent. There is never going to be a perfect answer--I'm sure you'd hear fans complain if a team has to play "five quarters" in a playoff game and then have to play again the next week--but what they have now isn't fair. I'd prefer a 5-inning "shootout" of 2-point conversions LOL. Seriously, anything but what they have. It was bad enough when they used to just have sudden death, but they didn't go far enough. And they've made the rules even harder for defensive players since that OT rule change. It's time to change it. And I believe that they will soon.

And since we're talking about rule changes, they need to make PI calls reviewable, like in the CFL. They always wait until a team gets screwed out of a playoff game to make changes, or until a bad rule gets exposed in the playoffs, like Dez Bryant's "no catch" in Green Bay. It took forever to just get any kind of replay, of course, and people complained about that for a while. Get the calls right. I don't care how long it takes. I love sports and if the game goes a few minutes longer, I don't care. Get the calls right. People complained when baseball implemented limited replay, too, and thank goodness that they did. I'm a Ram fan and yes, there were blatant Saints penalties that should've been called earlier in the game that weren't, and we'll simply never know what would have happened if the officials had done a better job all game for both teams. But when you're in position for what would've been a 98% win probability if that late call gets made, I mean, the officials basically took a playoff game from the Saints. I don't know how you get over something like that. And this is on the heels of the Minnesota game last season. Absolutely brutal.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject:

I used to like the sudden death OT rules, even when a fg always won it on the first possession. But I’ve changed my mind. I was disappointed that the Chiefs didn’t get the ball and didn’t think the OT was as interesting because of that.

I prefer the college OT rules. Each team gets the ball and I’m always entertained by it. I think having Brady and Mahomes battle it out in OT would be more entertaining than having Mahomes watch Brady from the sidelines because of a silly coin toss.

In the regular season if they don’t want OT to drag on too long, then declare it a tie after a certain point if they have to.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

Here are the facts....in the NFL since the TD sudden death rule was implemented, the team that won the coin toss won the game 52.7% of the time, and rarely on the initial drive. In comparison to college, where both teams are guaranteed to get an offensive possession....the team that won the coin toss went on the win the game 54.9% of the time!

The raw data suggests the coin toss has little to no effect on the eventual winner of the game. Home field advantage has a much larger impact. I think the point being missed is there are advantages to being on defense first. It can create multiple advantageous situations that are only available to the team that initially defends. First, you begin playing within 20 to 25 yards of the endzone that provides you the win....any turnover and you are in FG range to win immediately with a kick. Also, if you can hold the team to a 1st Down or less, you will immediately have field position advantage....and that is often difficult for another team to take over once you have established that advantage in an evenly matched game.

Again, the coin toss winner wins about half of the games.....you really can't ask for a better outcome if you want the game determined on the field.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I don't blame them.

When's the last major sports title winner that was tainted? NCAA or pro, any major sport

According to Laker fans any Spurs title
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I don't blame them.

According to Laker fans any Spurs title

or 2008 with Powe and 2006 with Wade, both living at the FT line for a game or a few. People just like to complain.

I never understand people who believe in sports conspiracies. If it's all fixed then why aren't so many more games entertaining? Why did we never get a Lebron - Kobe finals? Or Yankees - Dodgers 2 years ago?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

I agree, despite what many are saying, the NFL didn’t put the Rams in the Super Bowl to pay them back for moving to LA. The refs blew a couple of obvious calls that benefitted the Rams, that probably happens in every close game. But it wasn’t on purpose. One thing it did was make those Ram fans who were complaining about the refs selected for the game look stupid. I’m looking at you Steve Mason.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I don't blame them.

Oh come on. Was the Patriots first super bowl victory in 2002 tainted when they clearly benefited from what is now the second worst officiating decision in playoff history with the tuck rule?

If the Rams win this thing, the majority won't be talking about the non PI call down the road.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 103 of 106
Jump to: