The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

I liked the Squid and the Whale. Frances Ha I missed, as well as some of his other stuff from the last few years, in fact I think SATW is all I've seen from Baumbach. Definitely someone I'm interested in seeing more of. I'll try to catch Marriage Story on Netflix. If I like it, I'll work my way back on Baumbach's filmography.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
I liked the Squid and the Whale. Frances Ha I missed, as well as some of his other stuff from the last few years, in fact I think SATW is all I've seen from Baumbach. Definitely someone I'm interested in seeing more of. I'll try to catch Marriage Story on Netflix. If I like it, I'll work my way back on Baumbach's filmography.

[evergreen post] See it in a theater! [/evergreen post]
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Baumbach usually isn't my cup of tea. Are the leads in MS as insufferable as his past movies' protagonists?

I thought the lead performances as well as all the supporting performances were excellent. If Baumbach isn't your cup of tea, then, maybe this isn't for you. I haven't found all his past leads "insufferable," with the possible exception of Ben Stiller in Greenberg. Even with that, I found the character effectively conveyed the themes of that film. The leading performance in Frances Ha (Greta Gerwig) is about as memorable and affecting a performance and character that I can think of seeing in recent times.

Hmmm...I saw Frances Ha while living in New York, so that may have soured me on every character in the film. Maybe it strikes too close to home and I'm projecting my own insufferableness onto Frances and her friends...?

Anyway, I'll give it a shot because I probably wasn't not going to. Just hoping for something less twee this time from Baumbach (I haven't seen The Meyerowitz Stories yet).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:
I was pretty sure that I would not see a better film this year than Ash is Purest White but after seeing Marriage Story I've changed my mind. In fact, in thinking about it, this would make a great double feature. Incredible, triumphant performances in both; devastating sadness and melancholy juxtaposed with smart comedic elements; great lyricism and beauty, as well as comedic and musical elements. Both of these are essential viewing. See Marriage Story in a theatre if you can.

Devastating is the best word to describe it. It really leveled me.

Baumbach usually isn't my cup of tea. Are the leads in MS as insufferable as his past movies' protagonists?

There’s no Jeff Daniels in Squid if that’s what you mean. I like Baumbach overall, with some misses in there as well as hits. This is his most emotionally resonant. The leads (particularly Driver) are both outstanding and the supporting cast nearly steals the show.

I still have an occasional nightmare about Jeff Daniels telling Anna Paquin, "put me in your mouth" in Squid. *shudder*

Emotionally resonant sounds good. Some of his recent work is fine, but the incessant twee humor has never particularly meshed well with his films' emotional beats for me.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:
I was pretty sure that I would not see a better film this year than Ash is Purest White but after seeing Marriage Story I've changed my mind. In fact, in thinking about it, this would make a great double feature. Incredible, triumphant performances in both; devastating sadness and melancholy juxtaposed with smart comedic elements; great lyricism and beauty, as well as comedic and musical elements. Both of these are essential viewing. See Marriage Story in a theatre if you can.

There’s no Jeff Daniels in Squid if that’s what you mean. I like Baumbach overall, with some misses in there as well as hits. This is his most emotionally resonant. The leads (particularly Driver) are both outstanding and the supporting cast nearly steals the show.

I still have an occasional nightmare about Jeff Daniels telling Anna Paquin, "put me in your mouth" in Squid. *shudder*

Emotionally resonant sounds good. Some of his recent work is fine, but the incessant twee humor has never particularly meshed well with his films' emotional beats for me.

There’s nothing twee here. It’s a very different film than Frances or Greenberg. And yes that Daniels line from Squid also makes my whole nervous system cringe, which was the desired effect.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

There’s nothing twee here. It’s a very different film than Frances or Greenberg. And yes that Daniels line from Squid also makes my whole nervous system cringe, which was the desired effect.

Finally Baumbach protagonists who don't come out wiser in the end...?

Speaking of emotional danger.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

As I appreciate, but don't love Noah Baumbach films, let me upsell the genius of the ever prolific Korean auteur Hong Sang Soo who works in a similar register and - imo - is doing so at a superior level this decade (without having seen Marriage Story yet).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Parasite is a top 5 movie I’ve seen this year. Go see it

Saw it today. LOVED. if you’re reading this go see it and don’t read anything about it beforehand.

Saw it for the second time tonight and it's striking both how tonally brilliant it is and how Bong repurposes the mundane - both genre clichés and household objects - to feel new and unsettling.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Saw Marriage Story and it was great. Heart wrenching with some good, comedic moments as well. The leads gave incredible performances.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Finally caught the long anticipated Parasite tonight. Wonderful, nonpartisan social satire, with great direction, editing and scoring. Also, easily one of the funniest watches I've experienced this year. This is the Crazy Rich Asians we all deserved. Big kudos to Boong Joon-Ho for seamlessly traversing through different genres throughout his filmography, although one could argue that most of his films have unifying thematic threads.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Finally caught the long anticipated Parasite tonight. Wonderful, nonpartisan social satire, with great direction, editing and scoring. Also, easily one of the funniest watches I've experienced this year. This is the Crazy Rich Asians we all deserved. Big kudos to Boong Joon-Ho for seamlessly traversing through different genres throughout his filmography, although one could argue that most of his films have unifying thematic threads.

Family and class are big themes for him. Great point on Crazy Rich Asians - it would make a perfect double bill with Parasite and I don't know which screening order would be more rage inducing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Terence Davies' movies of the 2010s ranked:

1. Deep Blue Sea (2011)
2. A Quiet Passion (2016)
3. Sunset Song (2015)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

Famous curmudgeon Alan Moore weighs in on superhero culture:
Quote:
I think the impact of superheroes on popular culture is both tremendously embarrassing and not a little worrying. While these characters were originally perfectly suited to stimulating the imaginations of their twelve or thirteen year-old audience, today’s franchised übermenschen, aimed at a supposedly adult audience, seem to be serving some kind of different function, and fulfilling different needs. Primarily, mass-market superhero movies seem to be abetting an audience who do not wish to relinquish their grip on (a) their relatively reassuring childhoods, or (b) the relatively reassuring 20th century. The continuing popularity of these movies to me suggests some kind of deliberate, self-imposed state of emotional arrest, combined with an numbing condition of cultural stasis that can be witnessed in comics, movies, popular music and, indeed, right across the cultural spectrum. The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Schuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand. I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.

From the following interview (conducted in 2017, translated to English recently):
https://alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2019/11/moore-on-jerusalem-eternalism-anarchy.html?m=1
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

I thought the lead performances as well as all the supporting performances were excellent. If Baumbach isn't your cup of tea, then, maybe this isn't for you. I haven't found all his past leads "insufferable," with the possible exception of Ben Stiller in Greenberg. Even with that, I found the character effectively conveyed the themes of that film. The leading performance in Frances Ha (Greta Gerwig) is about as memorable and affecting a performance and character that I can think of seeing in recent times.

Hmmm...I saw Frances Ha while living in New York, so that may have soured me on every character in the film. Maybe it strikes too close to home and I'm projecting my own insufferableness onto Frances and her friends...?

Anyway, I'll give it a shot because I probably wasn't not going to. Just hoping for something less twee this time from Baumbach (I haven't seen The Meyerowitz Stories yet).

Update: having now seen the Meyerowitz Stories, Baumbach seems to be on an upward swing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Trying to sneak in a handful of re-watches of movies that keep popping up on critics' best of decade lists inbetween all the new releases and all the other 2010s flicks I want to catch up on, and on second viewing, I like Gone Girl more and La La Land less.

Gone Girl - Affleck is so perfectly cast as an annoying, conniving doofus and Fincher deconstructs the trashy Lifetime movie genre with his usual verve. And the ending is note perfect: hell truly is intimacy with other people. I'm not in love with Fincher's ouput this decade, but GG is moving up in my estimation.

La La Land - trying to recreate an MGM style musical with attractive, charming people is an admirable start, but your stars also should probably be really talented at dancing or singing (or piano playing) or both. It's the spectacle of supremely gifted performers on screen that really made the Hollywood musical pop, and if you can't finance a modern musical without name actors like Gosling and Stone being attached, then at least do something novel with the genre conventions so the movie isn't built around their mediocre singing and dancing as if they're Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. The more I think about the movie, the more bamboozled I feel.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

Every international and indie arthouse movie of the 2010s:

What about [x] but slow and with boxy aspect ratios?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Has anyone seen the trailer for Amazon's Les Miserables? I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfdlLW9Rwg
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Got a chuckle out of this:

Marty's End Game
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

A new short film from Jonathan Glazer, The Fall, can be streamed here: link.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Has anyone seen the trailer for Amazon's Les Miserables? I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfdlLW9Rwg

It really looks great from previews and seems like a dark horse to earn a Best International Feature Film Oscar nomination.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Every international and indie arthouse movie of the 2010s:

What about [x] but slow and with boxy aspect ratios?

Ranked:

Meek's Cutoff
Jauja
The Lighthouse
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Got a chuckle out of this:

Marty's End Game

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a destroyer of worlds..."

Here's a 15-min vid on influential/important Scorsese shots throughout his career from critic Adam Nayman: https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_lXzDxJ1rFA

It starts out using the Marvel v. Marty kerfuffle as a starting point (and to drive seo), so it's still related to the conversation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Ford vs. Ferrarri . . . Helluva movie.

Solid storytelling. Visually stunning. Sound design that is amazing. Great performances. PLUS a kickass soundtrack.

Throw in all the awesome looking cars, legendary personalities and racing stories from my car loving youth . . . yeah, I was all in.

One of the few films I have seen recently that I would likely see again in the theater.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

One of the few films I have seen recently that I would likely see again in the theater.

Wow, that's high praise. I was on the fence but will have to check it out this weekend.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Parasite is a top 5 movie I’ve seen this year. Go see it

Saw it today. LOVED. if you’re reading this go see it and don’t read anything about it beforehand.

Saw it for the second time tonight and it's striking both how tonally brilliant it is and how Bong repurposes the mundane - both genre clichés and household objects - to feel new and unsettling.

this is not on netflix, worth it for movie theater? saw bunch of facebook people liking this movie
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 37 of 189
Jump to: