The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ocho, you know I have the utmost respect for you and your take on film, but are we really casting Martin Scorsese as a victim of the current state of film making?

Victim is a loaded word that I didn’t use. The fact is he couldn’t make this movie at a studio that was going to give it a supported theatrical run otherwise he would have. The overwhelming majority of people who see it will see it on Netflix because there’s hardly a choice in the matter, and we can probably agree that isn’t how he wishes people to see it. It was either doing it this way or not doing it, and that’s obviously a sacrifice he thought was worth it. But I can understand why he is frustrated with that reality as the 9th Ant Man film opens to a gazillion screens.

So yes, the Landmark still exists and that’s great. I love the Landmark. Most cities aren’t as privileged in that regard. Lots and lots and lots of projects are getting made and that’s also great (especially for people like you and me who work on these projects) but film auteurs making their projects for television will always feel like a loss to me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Evolution? If the only movies I can see in a theater are superhero movies the art form has not evolved.

You know that is not even remotely the case.

I've seen as many small indies over the last few years in the theater as I have superhero movies.

It’s not the case today, though it is trending in that direction. You may have seen as many indies as superheroes in theaters, but you’ve probably also streamed a lot more movies over the past few years that you would have seen in a theater before. You also live in a city where you can see something like The Irishman in a theater, which is not the case for most people.

I love watching things in the theater, and I will freely admit that I am selective in what I do so. But that's a function of my own personal time constraints.

So what in your estimation is more important?

That all films that are made get a traditional theatrical release, or that film makers have avenues to see their work come to fruition so that peopke can actually see them?

Personally I am proponent of seeing more projects come to fruition. Even when it's well established film makers like Scorsese ironically complaining they have to "suffer" to see their films make the big screen while other film makers
would give anything for that opportunity.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

That all films that are made get a traditional theatrical release, or that film makers have avenues to see their work come to fruition so that peopke can actually see them?

My worry is what happens to movies like The Irishman and Marriage Story once the Oscars loophole gets closed (and it probably will) or if companies like Netflix decide they dont’ care about the Oscars (and they might). It truly bums me out that probably less than 1% of people who see those movies will see it in a theater and not just because of time constraints. Most won’t have a choice, and that choice is only going to get more restrictive. I do believe turning these movies into television robs them of something vital. If studios aren’t interested in making them anymore for theatrical release and the companies that are have contempt for the theatrical experience what can we expect to happen to them?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

The Nightingale is streaming on Hulu if you're looking to cheer up your Sunday morning.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Evolution? If the only movies I can see in a theater are superhero movies the art form has not evolved.

You know that is not even remotely the case.

I've seen as many small indies over the last few years in the theater as I have superhero movies.

It’s not the case today, though it is trending in that direction. You may have seen as many indies as superheroes in theaters, but you’ve probably also streamed a lot more movies over the past few years that you would have seen in a theater before. You also live in a city where you can see something like The Irishman in a theater, which is not the case for most people.

I love watching things in the theater, and I will freely admit that I am selective in what I do so. But that's a function of my own personal time constraints.

Personally I am proponent of seeing more projects come to fruition. Even when it's well established film makers like Scorsese ironically complaining they have to "suffer" to see their films make the big screen while other film makers
would give anything for that opportunity.

A key line from Scorsese's op-ed:
Quote:
Still, I don’t know a single filmmaker who doesn’t want to design films for the big screen, to be projected before audiences in theaters.

Scorsese is at the end of his career and life and has the industry clout that younger filmmakers don't have to push back publicly against the Disney production and distribution model. But even given such, he is also going up against a handful of multibillion dollar behometh media conglomerates indifferent to hollowing out the middle class of the industry for maximum short-term return. If it's Disney v. Scorsese, then even the powerful, revered Marty Scorsese is...kind of the little guy being crushed by the big corporation.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

Every doctor, well most or maybe even a lot of, wish we get to practice in our own clinic like the previous generation docs but financially it's no longer viable for most of us so now we have to work for big hospital/medical groups to practice... I think the film industry is the same way
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Every doctor, well most or maybe even a lot of, wish we get to practice in our own clinic like the previous generation docs but financially it's no longer viable for most of us so now we have to work for big hospital/medical groups to practice... I think the film industry is the same way

The pleasures of predatory capitalism.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Also, as the T-Mobile/Sprint merger has recently been approved: https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1193681650514833408
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The Nightingale is streaming on Hulu if you're looking to cheer up your Sunday morning.

I tapped out after 30 minutes. Rough is an understatement.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

The second half "lightens up" a bit. Still bleak and murder-y, but less rape-y.

I like it as an artsy nasty revenge/exploitation flick, less as a "statement movie."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

So Disney head honcho Bob Iger was running things at ABC three decades ago and basically killed Twin Peaks, which he kind of acknowledges a tiny bit in his memoir: https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/status/1193602663436472321
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I like it as an artsy nasty revenge/exploitation flick, less as a "statement movie."

I figured it couldn't get worse than "shut that baby up" but I figured I'll save it for another day. I ended up watch The Peanut Butter Falcon which was pretty good. Nothing ground-breaking but a nice heartfelt movie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I figured it couldn't get worse than "shut that baby up" but I figured I'll save it for another day. I ended up watch The Peanut Butter Falcon which was pretty good. Nothing ground-breaking but a nice heartfelt movie.

Shia looked like he actually having fun filming that, which along with his chemistry with Gottsagen (Zak), carries a lightweight, sweet, indie crowd pleaser. It's done really good box office.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm happy it's done well. Sounds like it was a passion project not just for the writer but for Gottsagen who did a great job. Looking forward to Shia's Honeyboy too, hoping to see it this weekend.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

The most interesting movies (and music, television, etc.) in the aggregated "best of the decade" lists seem to usually be toward the bottom, little idiosyncratic almost afterthoughts with one or two votes of support from some pop culture website's many underpaid contributors.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Scorsese is making an aesthetic argument along with a commercial argument: Captain Marvel exists in the form and fashion that it does to ensure brand loyalty so Disney can suffocate its competition.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

As an aside, it's a fascinating document in support of extrajudicial violence. It's obviously a condemnation of systemic injustice that forces marginalized people to debase themselves through violent revenge, but it also acknowledges that systemic power can't be overcome on an individual level so retrubitive, intimate violence is the only small scale, but outsized response.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I was pretty sure that I would not see a better film this year than Ash is Purest White but after seeing Marriage Story I've changed my mind. In fact, in thinking about it, this would make a great double feature. Incredible, triumphant performances in both; devastating sadness and melancholy juxtaposed with smart comedic elements; great lyricism and beauty, as well as comedic and musical elements. Both of these are essential viewing. See Marriage Story in a theatre if you can.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
I was pretty sure that I would not see a better film this year than Ash is Purest White but after seeing Marriage Story I've changed my mind. In fact, in thinking about it, this would make a great double feature. Incredible, triumphant performances in both; devastating sadness and melancholy juxtaposed with smart comedic elements; great lyricism and beauty, as well as comedic and musical elements. Both of these are essential viewing. See Marriage Story in a theatre if you can.

Devastating is the best word to describe it. It really leveled me.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Zhang Yimou's Shadow is now on Netflix.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

And both Joanna Hogg's Exhibition(2013) and The Souvenir(2019) are streaming on Amazon Prime.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

Baumbach usually isn't my cup of tea. Are the leads in MS as insufferable as his past movies' protagonists?
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

Baumbach usually isn't my cup of tea. Are the leads in MS as insufferable as his past movies' protagonists?

I thought the lead performances as well as all the supporting performances were excellent. If Baumbach isn't your cup of tea, then, maybe this isn't for you. I haven't found all his past leads "insufferable," with the possible exception of Ben Stiller in Greenberg. Even with that, I found the character effectively conveyed the themes of that film. The leading performance in Frances Ha (Greta Gerwig) is about as memorable and affecting a performance and character that I can think of seeing in recent times.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

Just looking at the lineup that The Landmark has and I wanna see 6 movies they're currently playing; Marriage Story, The Report, Honey Boy, The Irishman, Waves, Pain and Glory. I don't think I'll get the chance to see all of them in theaters but MS and HB will probably be the first 2 I see.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
golden armor wrote:

There’s no Jeff Daniels in Squid if that’s what you mean. I like Baumbach overall, with some misses in there as well as hits. This is his most emotionally resonant. The leads (particularly Driver) are both outstanding and the supporting cast nearly steals the show.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 36 of 189
Jump to: